Mom & Dad's Thanksgiving Bronco

1Hondalover
Bronco Info: Having so much fun with friends in Baja, we're not sure if we want to race NORRA.....

Mom & Dad's Thanksgiving Bronco

Post by 1Hondalover »

Well that was fast. Last week Paige and I make a plan and pull the trigger for a bit newer & nicer Bronco, then I'm looking around on CL. At this point we're thinking something like $7K should get something clean that doesn't need a total rehab to look good and fill the bill. Not in a giant hurry, but nothing looks too good in LA, IE, OC or SD. We decided 95 or 96 clean OE 5.8 with gray interior. Been looking on and off for a few months now.....so I expand to NV and AZ for kicks and what appears to be the magic 96 pops up. Carfax says 8 owners, originating in Missouri then to Colorado then to Arizona then to California then to Ohio then back to Arizona. I see lots of services and hit a tree??? in December of 2000. Other than that no issues and otherwise perfect record. Clean title in hand.

I call Donnie and he's on the road headed back from NY. The CL ad was kind of funny and he was a super nice guy. We talked for 30 minutes and he sent me more pictures, seemingly telling me straight about the Bronco and it's few issues. Paige and I agree they both seem legit, and I commit to a 12 hour drive to meet him at 10AM Sunday morning when he gets home to Surprise, AZ. I burn out of Santa Clarita at 4AM Sunday in the truck & trailer headed east, realizing I'm rolling the dice a bit. Donnie's in his driveway with the shiny white XLT when I pull up. I now understand why he's selling it after two weeks of owning it.....he's a 78/79 Bronco fanatic and thought this would fill their need to tow a trailer for camping if they left it alone and wheeled in the lineup of other custom Broncos he had going. Apparently another 79 came for sale that Donnie would rather have to tow, so after already buying parts for the 96 he put it up for sale to gather cash for the other.

Doors open, tailgate down, hood up......everything works and I mean everything.....brand new battery. Brought my trusty creeper and under I go. Other than what looks like every other late model Bronco in reasonable conditions, the only bad I see is a crappy muffler/tailpipes and a wet spot at the rear main. Everything here is otherwise unmolested and untouched OE Bronco. We start on the list of known issues:

* Tailgate delamination - yep it's the fault of the spare tire. I'll deal with it.
* Dented front fender below the antenna - hopefully paintless repair but if not oh well easy to R&R.
* Some old and some new with dry rot 32" BFG all no good - BFD we need 33" anyway.
* Misc other nicks and dings need touch up - what the heck it's 20 years old.
* New 2 1/2" lift needs alignment.
* Both gray leather seats are hammered.

Donnie was telling the truth. We fire it up and go for a spin.....he tells me to put it to the wood. All good and sounds tight. We got to the dirt lot and some piles to test the transfer case and hubs. All good and LS working extremely well with little to no spin. Lock to lock in circles I hear no creaks, knocks, lumps or wobbles. Back to 2WD and dirt burnouts confirm the LS works. Nice quiet electric transfer case shifts compared to Jim & Paige's Bronco. Back to the house for more inspection.....under the hood and inside - all is again unmolested and untouched with new AC compressor line to replace the leaky one. Donnie shows me the new parts he's giving me that need to finish up the new lift kit. All in original boxes a dash mat, urethane bushings, eccentric alignment cams, Moog ball joints, a window motor, sway bar ends, spare door handles and other tidbits. He also gives me three spare OE alloys and an OE steelie spare.

I don't see that Donnie is hiding anything.....we're done here. I trade him $5,100 cash for the title and a bill of sale, and we load it up. Through a Palm Springs dust storm I pull into the driveway at home 6:30PM. Tired.

Mom & Dad's Thanksgiving Bronco in hand - check. Now to prepare it for DD use, and a few mods I may need GFB advice or recommendation on since I've never done a stock Bronco before. All good and we're happy.....mostly looking forward to HPR in November with the Family in the dirt.
IMG_0512 (Large).JPG
IMG_0512 (Large).JPG (398.44 KiB) Viewed 2053 times
10508.jpg
10508.jpg (746.98 KiB) Viewed 2053 times
10511.jpg
10511.jpg (843.95 KiB) Viewed 2053 times
10509.jpg
10509.jpg (535.96 KiB) Viewed 2053 times
IMG_0513 (Large).JPG
IMG_0513 (Large).JPG (353.19 KiB) Viewed 2053 times
keenanduran1
Bronco Info: 1993 Bronco. 1992 F150

Re: Mom & Dad's Thanksgiving Bronco

Post by keenanduran1 »

This will be a cool set up. Looking forward to seeing the build.
zachwabbit
Bronco Info: '93 F150 XLT, '89 2wd B2(Smurfette)

Post by zachwabbit »

Nice score!
Potato.
96UAV
Bronco Info: 96 XLT --Under Construction--

Post by 96UAV »

Glad the trip went well and was worth it!
1Hondalover
Bronco Info: Having so much fun with friends in Baja, we're not sure if we want to race NORRA.....

Post by 1Hondalover »

Very much worth it for two reasons. 1) the Bronco is almost exactly what we were looking for and 2) it's nice to know there are still legitimate honest people roaming around in CA. On Monday Donnie called and said he forgot to give me the steering stabilizer kit he bought with the rest of the parts. He sent it to me with all of the receipts for all of the parts he got for it.....almost $1K they cost him.

Must be something in the water in AZ.....think we'll go back one day soon. Yes we feel very fortunate.
Whiterhino1
Bronco Info: 1994 bronco 4 inch lift 35's

Post by Whiterhino1 »

sooooo clean.
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Looks good, Jim. I'm looking forward to seeing it progress and the final trip report.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
1Hondalover

Post by 1Hondalover »

Yes progress.....with GFB help we hope to make quick work of at least some parts so I can start driving it. Appreciate the help.....here we go:

Suspension - 2 1/2" Rough Country lift installed as you've seen, the typical with OE rate coil springs and brackets to drop everything down with quad shock option. Blocks in the rear with new shocks.....silly. We need to clear 33's on the Ford alloys, but don't want it too high. I'm sure the shocks are a POS, so what to do here? Could I keep the lift with coils and change the shocks to whatever 5100 Bilstein everyone seems to like? One shock only or need two per side? Remember Mom & Dad want to cruise light Baja whoops and I'm going to drive it on the street. If I run the RC lift, do you think it will stay together?
RC 2.5 kit.JPG
RC 2.5 kit.JPG (58.72 KiB) Viewed 1927 times
Thought we might be able to stay away from C&T, ambulance steering & etc, but it has to work and I'm not trying to shop at Manny, Moe & Jack. How much is the lift on the standard Solo or whatever C&T, coils, Deavers and Bilsteins? Blocks are not cool in the rear, and I'm sure Deaver could make me some leaves less than Q80 or whatever if they were too high. What is ambulance steering anyway?

Thoughts and recommendations?
1Hondalover

Seats for Mom & Dad's Thanksgiving Bronco

Post by 1Hondalover »

No time or interest toward custom fab to fit seats into Mom & Dad's Bronco. the OE gray leather buckets are trashed and have to go. I found these Corbeau brackets that will fit several of their seats directly in.

The cost to refurbish the stock seats is stupid, and this will be my DD until the end of the year so some nicer seats will be welcome.

Anyone used these before?

http://corbeau.com/ford-bronco-89-96-co ... ckets.html
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

The 4 tab seats like PRP, Beard, etc. are easy to dd to stock sliders with pieces of angle iron. Yes a tiny bit of "fab" involved, but the $ saved on those brackets could go to something more useful on the rig.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Post by VintageIronFab »

Just know that the stock seats are NOT centered on the brackets but are set outward at about 1".
http://www.vintageironfabworks.com

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
dtbback
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig

Post by dtbback »

The brackets I had made for my Sparcos were really simple and allow full access too the back. They weren't expensive either.
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

VintageIronFab wrote:Just know that the stock seats are NOT centered on the brackets but are set outward at about 1".
Yep, I learned that the hard way the first time I made brackets for a Taylor Race seat I had in the Bronco.

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk
1Hondalover

Post by 1Hondalover »

Wrightracing.net wrote:
VintageIronFab wrote:Just know that the stock seats are NOT centered on the brackets but are set outward at about 1".
Yep, I learned that the hard way the first time I made brackets for a Taylor Race seat I had in the Bronco.
Elaborate please gentlemen. I found some Corbeau VX2000 in beautiful shape, but they're widest across the shoulder. I measured the Bronco and it looks like they may just barely touch the side walls, if I use the center of the stock seats. I looked at the factory tracks and bolts in relation to the seat bottom, and it doesn't look to me like they're off center. This is 1996.....are they all the same?

If the stock seats are really one inch off center to the outsides and the Corbeau brackets are centered, it will help my particular situation. When you say off center, does that mean off center of the steering wheel too?
Corbeau VX2000 black & gray.JPG
Corbeau VX2000 black & gray.JPG (60.29 KiB) Viewed 1775 times
Corbeau Bronco bracket.JPG
Corbeau Bronco bracket.JPG (44.22 KiB) Viewed 1775 times
1Hondalover

Post by 1Hondalover »

The lower right door hinge is sloppy and the door sags, so it has to "lift up" to close tight. First time I've ever witnessed this.....on the newest Bronco we've ever had. I would have thought it would happen on the left side first due to more use. Three other and older Broncos have had issues but not here.

In any case, has anyone tried the JBG repair kit on one of these? Love it if it works properly, but sometimes a bandaid is better left to the real part.
JBG door hinge repair.JPG
JBG door hinge repair.JPG (62.04 KiB) Viewed 1768 times
JBG OE lower hinge.JPG
JBG OE lower hinge.JPG (40.26 KiB) Viewed 1768 times
dtbback
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig

Post by dtbback »

Frame wise those look really similar to the width on my Sparcos (They are their widest seats.). I have my seats and there brackets aligned with with factory seat base mounting holes. The shoulder bolsters barely touch the paneling with everything centered.
VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Post by VintageIronFab »

The centerline of the stock sliders are offset towards the door right at 1"--looks like the corbeau bracketry is fine and accounts for the offset.
http://www.vintageironfabworks.com

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
1Hondalover

Post by 1Hondalover »

First cleanup/upgrade complete this morning. Gotta hand it to Corbeau, their brackets are clean and make it real easy. What luck to find these seats in this color combo. I think they match pretty good and about 1 1/2" away from the side panels with plenty of room for the seatbelts to move around.

The stock seats are available if anyone wants them for rebuild or parts.....see the freebie section quick if you do.
IMG_0609 (Large).JPG
IMG_0609 (Large).JPG (378.06 KiB) Viewed 1652 times
IMG_0610 (Large).JPG
IMG_0610 (Large).JPG (380.75 KiB) Viewed 1652 times
IMG_0611 (Large).JPG
IMG_0611 (Large).JPG (322.93 KiB) Viewed 1652 times
IMG_0614 (Large).JPG
IMG_0614 (Large).JPG (258.32 KiB) Viewed 1652 times
IMG_0617 (Large).JPG
IMG_0617 (Large).JPG (289.97 KiB) Viewed 1652 times
dtbback

Post by dtbback »

Those look great in there!
LvSteve
Bronco Info: 1995 XLT Sport. 96 427w e4od obd II system........ SOLD IT

Post by LvSteve »

Very nice