Mom & Dad's Thanksgiving Bronco

Deslboy
Bronco Info: 1993 XLT 351. Currently being built. Solo c&t beams, solo radius arms, solo shock hoops

Re: Mom & Dad's Thanksgiving Bronco

Post by Deslboy »

I think by the time you do all that work it would be about the same price as swapping a 9" into it. A junkyard 9" from early 80's bronco and f150 is a direct swap. You will need to relocate the VSS to the transfer case (Hollander sells this kit). Figure gears, some sort of locker, Disk brakes and new bearings, seals, etc. will cost the same for either 8.8 or 9". The cost of trussing the 8.8 will cost more than a complete 9". I spent $150 for mine at pik a part. Hit up Kartek for the disk brake kit. They had a complete kit with e brake set up for $500. Both Solo and Giant can set up your gears.
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

I'm gonna go against the grain.......truss the 8.8 and call it a day. Late you can drop in some explorer rear discs, Teraflex sells a bolt in kit for 399 I believe.

A junkyard 9" will need straightening, most JY 9's are thin wall so they also need a truss. Then you will need a full third, much more expensive than just hung gears, and the to do properly you need to lengthen the DS. Even on a budget, it will be more cash and for the use of this Bronco, not necessary.

Most 8.8s bend, they continue to work well even bent u till they start leaking. The big issue/concern is to weld so the tubes don't pull out (your truss will take car of that) and if you do discs you also for a c clip busting and having the axle shaft walk out on you. Problem solved.

My two pesos.........
LvSteve
Bronco Info: 1995 XLT Sport. 96 427w e4od obd II system........ SOLD IT

Post by LvSteve »

Beware of the explorer based rear disc brake set up, the parking brake shoes hit the back side of aftermarket axles , You will need 2001 f150 parking brake cables O'reilly had the best price
1Hondalover
Bronco Info: Having so much fun with friends in Baja, we're not sure if we want to race NORRA.....

Post by 1Hondalover »

tcm glx wrote:I'm gonna go against the grain.......truss the 8.8 and call it a day. Late you can drop in some explorer rear discs, Teraflex sells a bolt in kit for 399 I believe.

A junkyard 9" will need straightening, most JY 9's are thin wall so they also need a truss. Then you will need a full third, much more expensive than just hung gears, and the to do properly you need to lengthen the DS. Even on a budget, it will be more cash and for the use of this Bronco, not necessary.

Most 8.8s bend, they continue to work well even bent u till they start leaking. The big issue/concern is to weld so the tubes don't pull out (your truss will take car of that) and if you do discs you also for a c clip busting and having the axle shaft walk out on you. Problem solved.

My two pesos.........
Funny how we think alike Tony. I'm not sure how everyone thinks a 9 swap is so inexpensive.....it is not when all said and done when starting from scratch. I don't care for top mounted trusses, and a solid back truss obviously can't be used on an 8.8, thus the Giant piece. I think some are missing my two keys here. 1) Mom & Dad don't go that fast. 2) We're trying to keep it as original as possible for resale.....with exception of known problem solutions that is.

Viva 8.8! Thanks for the heads up on the Explorer discs Steve. I'm all ears for anyone with any particular recommendations on 8.8 OE-style parts better to use than straight OE replacements.

Thanks guys!
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

1Hondalover wrote:
tcm glx wrote:I'm gonna go against the grain.......truss the 8.8 and call it a day. Late you can drop in some explorer rear discs, Teraflex sells a bolt in kit for 399 I believe.

My two pesos.........
Funny how we think alike Tony. I'm not sure how everyone thinks a 9 swap is so inexpensive.....it is not when all said and done when starting from scratch. I don't care for top mounted trusses, and a solid back truss obviously can't be used on an 8.8, thus the Giant piece. I think some are missing my two keys here. 1) Mom & Dad don't go that fast. 2) We're trying to keep it as original as possible for resale.....with exception of known problem solutions that is.

Viva 8.8! Thanks for the heads up on the Explorer discs Steve. I'm all ears for anyone with any particular recommendations on 8.8 OE-style parts better to use than straight OE replacements.

Thanks guys!

Discs
https://www.ebay.com/itm/261536725491
1Hondalover
Bronco Info: Having so much fun with friends in Baja, we're not sure if we want to race NORRA.....

Post by 1Hondalover »

With its loose and weepy 8.8, Mom & Dad's Thanksgiving Bronco is home with new shoes, Napa blues, all new ambulance steering and an alignment making it go down the street as straight as an arrow. Quite a bit more mannered on the road than Jim & Paige's Bronco.....perfect for a temporary DD.
IMG_0852 (Large).JPG
IMG_0852 (Large).JPG (311.97 KiB) Viewed 1370 times
IMG_0824 (Large).JPG
IMG_0824 (Large).JPG (323.08 KiB) Viewed 1370 times
IMG_0843 (Large).JPG
IMG_0843 (Large).JPG (278.62 KiB) Viewed 1370 times
IMG_0838 (Large).JPG
IMG_0838 (Large).JPG (249.34 KiB) Viewed 1370 times
IMG_0846 (Large).JPG
IMG_0846 (Large).JPG (259.27 KiB) Viewed 1370 times
Tchajagos
Bronco Info: 1993 xlt stock on 33' BFGs

Mom & Dad's Thanksgiving Bronco

Post by Tchajagos »

You can do w/e you want to do but if you are keeping the front only 2" lift are you really going to be going fast enough to want a 9" and disc brakes out back? I can understand if you want coilovers upfront with bypasses and deavers in the rear to upgrade the rear axle.
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

Looks nice Jim, I love the simple look for a daily driver.

David...
1Hondalover

Post by 1Hondalover »

Still not in my temporary DD here......sort of pissing me off but it's not for the lack of trying. A bit of exhaust work today and then goes for tranny flush and Punisher tomorrow. Brandon hooked me up with another 8.8 out of a 96 for truss and 4.11, but just today had to reorganize on that to get it done.

Still chewing on the shocks, but also trying to figure out what to do about the leaves. Deaver wants $800 for a set of 2" leaves. Not worth it for this ride. Skyjacker (perish the thought) has some "Softride" 2" leaves they tell me are stiffer than stock. Softride? JBG has some 2.5" leaves....."With our aftermarket leaf spring designs, spring rate has been reduced, as much as possible, to emphasize suspension travel and a more compliant ride". Might work but including freight will be almost $500. I'd probably try this is it weren't for the distance.

We used to have Sunset Spring in Hollywood make Toyota 4x4 pickup springs in the early 80's that we jumped with 40" tires. First time I ever learned about military wraps and oil quenching. Doubt they're around anymore but even if they were it would like going to Deaver today.

REMEMBER this is a DD aka Mom & Dad's Thanksgiving Bronco. I want 2" new or modded leaves to 1) rid the 2" blocks and 2) have a bit more compliant ride.

Any ideas or suggestions?
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Stay with the stock brakes, Jim. I was just discussing this yesterday with a friend and automotive guru. I have NEVER worked on a car that had any kind of "bolt-on" brake conversion that was worth a damn... and I've seen a lot of them. The fact of the matter is, brake hydraulics are not as simple as most believe. The simple fact that parts will bolt together, does not mean they will work or, more importantly, work well together. Believe it or not Ford and every other car manufacturer has millions of dollars tied up in figuring out how to make cars brake well... expecting for some Joe to put together a kit and match or exceed the braking capacity of a stock system is hopeful at best.

Short story... spend the time to do the math to verify that a conversion will work as well as you hope it will or leave it stock and call it good. I can give you many, many examples of crap conversions if you're interested.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
1Hondalover

Post by 1Hondalover »

I'm currently planning to keep the drums Steve. In addition to the reasons you cite, I need to continue the OE reign and this Bronco will never be pushed hard enough to need better brakes. I'll agree that most disc conversions are likely less actual braking power than the drums. Not a high probability of C clip breakage since it will all be new.

However.....the rear springs do need a little something and blocks just suck.
hollandermotorsports
Bronco Info: 1990 Bronco lifted, 1995 Centurian F-150 with body lift delete

Post by hollandermotorsports »

I have a friend down here that used to be the man for national spring but since they closed up shop he has been tinkering on the side. Maybe just get some stockers re arched and fresh bushings.
zachwabbit
Bronco Info: '93 F150 XLT, '89 2wd B2(Smurfette)

Post by zachwabbit »

hollandermotorsports wrote:I have a friend down here that used to be the man for national spring but since they closed up shop he has been tinkering on the side. Maybe just get some stockers re arched and fresh bushings.
This is something I might be interested in as well
Potato.
1Hondalover

Post by 1Hondalover »

hollandermotorsports wrote:I have a friend down here that used to be the man for national spring but since they closed up shop he has been tinkering on the side. Maybe just get some stockers re arched and fresh bushings.
Sounds like a possible plan if the OE springs wouldn't then get too short Brandon. How do I explore this?
hollandermotorsports
Bronco Info: 1990 Bronco lifted, 1995 Centurian F-150 with body lift delete

Post by hollandermotorsports »

I'll talked to Billy and shoot you an email.
1Hondalover

Post by 1Hondalover »

Standing by Brandon......thank you.

In the meantime Mom & Dad's Thanksgiving Bronco got a new stainless tailpipe but I've got to get rid of those silly chrome steps. Pretty sure Mom is going to need a little AMP Research help. Anybody have a good hookup for pricing on some of those neat little devils?
IMG_1103 (Large).JPG
IMG_1103 (Large).JPG (282.04 KiB) Viewed 1176 times
IMG_1099 (Large).JPG
IMG_1099 (Large).JPG (324.91 KiB) Viewed 1176 times
IMG_1097 (Large).JPG
IMG_1097 (Large).JPG (239.4 KiB) Viewed 1176 times
1Hondalover

Post by 1Hondalover »

Stopped driving the Bronco recently because the voltmeter on the dash was moving all around and I knew some of the PO's wiring under the hood was a bit jinky. Been gathering parts and I finally had a weekend at home, so yesterday Mom & Dad's Thanksgiving Bronco got a new 130A 3G, Motorcraft relay and #2 battery cables. All good now.....Red Head next.
IMG_1457 (Large).JPG
IMG_1457 (Large).JPG (319.95 KiB) Viewed 1037 times
IMG_1463 (Large).JPG
IMG_1463 (Large).JPG (280.02 KiB) Viewed 1037 times
#2 batt cables new.JPG
#2 batt cables new.JPG (90.67 KiB) Viewed 1037 times
Deslboy
Bronco Info: 1993 XLT 351. Currently being built. Solo c&t beams, solo radius arms, solo shock hoops

Post by Deslboy »

/Users/amyroset/Desktop/IMG_4470.jpg

here is a good example for a disk brake conversion for under $250. This same conversion can be done on the 8.8. Weld on caliper brackets from Ruffstuff specialties, front rotors from a full-size bronco and chevy 3/4 ton calipers with pads. My bronco stops on a dime
Deslboy

Post by Deslboy »

Deslboy wrote:/Users/amyroset/Desktop/IMG_4470.jpg

here is a good example for a disk brake conversion for under $250. This same conversion can be done on the 8.8. Weld on caliper brackets from Ruffstuff specialties, front rotors from a full-size bronco and chevy 3/4 ton calipers with pads. My bronco stops on a dime
Deslboy

Post by Deslboy »

sorry, can't seem to download pic