Front drive shaft issues

Texstrykr
Bronco Info: 94 Bronco XLT 5.8L

Front drive shaft issues

Post by Texstrykr »

Hello,
I am new to the forum. I have recently purchased a 94 xlt. I tested the 4wd and it felt like the front drive shaft locked and bound. I replaced the hubs with new Warn hubs and still the same. I put the truck in park and transfer case in 2wd and tried to rotate the front driveshaft. It won't even make a half rotation without it sounding like it hits a metal stop. Has anyone had this issue?
Tchajagos
Bronco Info: 1993 xlt stock on 33' BFGs

Front drive shaft issues

Post by Tchajagos »

Check the u joints. Not just the ones on the drives shaft but the axles too. There are 3 on the front axle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yikes
Founder
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff

Re: Front drive shaft issues

Post by yikes »

Possibly a broken chain in the T-case.
MOSS2

Post by MOSS2 »

Unlikely it has anything to do with drive shaft or u-joints if it is locking up. Isolate the problem by disconnecting driveshaft. Jack it up with hubs locked and rotate each tire and pinion input and see if you get noise or lockup. With the front tires on the ground and hubs locked if you get a half turn on pinion you have a problem in the pumpkin. (Make sure the hubs are locked by trying to turn the axle behind the knuckle. Sometimes it takes a partial turn to click in even though you have turned the dial.) Could be broken pinion gear. Not likely anything outboard of pumpkin. Rotate output of transfer case and check for binding. Like Yikes said could be chain broken in t-case.
Tchajagos

Front drive shaft issues

Post by Tchajagos »

Tex, are you saying that the 4wd won't disengage? Or that the front driveshaft won't turn at all even when you are driving?

Texstrykr

Post by Texstrykr »

The front driveshaft wont turn when the hubs are locked. I will see if I can disconnect the axle and try to turn the wheels with the hubs locked. This would eliminate the front axle altogether right?
Tchajagos

Front drive shaft issues

Post by Tchajagos »

Yeah. disconnect the front driveshaft and then lift one wheel in the air and try to spin it with the other wheel on the ground. If the pinion yoke spins then it's good. Try it with the other side too.

Texstrykr

Post by Texstrykr »

Ok i will try to take the front drive shaft off tomorrow and try each wheel individually. I will report my findings after that. Thank you all for the advice.
Texstrykr

Post by Texstrykr »

I took the front drive shaft off and went through the tests. I locked the hubs and jacked up each tire. I rotated each tire that was off the ground, each rotated fine with the corresponding yokes and axels spinning as well. I then put the truck in 4h expecting to get that loud clunk notice from the transfer case but to my suprise everything was smooth and worked fine. Whew! I then we back to the front axel again and tried to spin the part where the drive line connects and could not spin it freely. I did hear a lighter clunking noise as I tried to spin the area where the front driveline connects. What could be broke in there? Gear and Pinion? I am at a loss now. Help please.