Granny gear 5.0 Bronco build

S00TLYFE
Bronco Info: IT RAPTOR NOW

Re: Granny gear 5.0 Bronco build

Post by S00TLYFE »

Depends if you're gonna go to 35s eventually or not. If 33s I'd MAYBE go 4.10s but not necessary. If you're going to go 35s then 4.56s with the C6 like we have. Short term cheap fix? Get a spartan locker or a Detroit/eaton and stuff that, thing will go 90% of the placers you're gonna wanna go
https://donttellmywiferacing.bigcartel.com/ (We have shirts, stickers, saginaw pumps, and other Bronco/OBS goodies)
damon1272

Post by damon1272 »

If you have a stock LSD then I would add a friction and extra friction plates. Super cheap and works great for the 33's and stock power. Easy to do.
zachwabbit
Bronco Info: '93 F150 XLT, '89 2wd B2(Smurfette)

Post by zachwabbit »

S00TLYFE wrote:Depends if you're gonna go to 35s eventually or not. If 33s I'd MAYBE go 4.10s but not necessary. If you're going to go 35s then 4.56s with the C6 like we have. Short term cheap fix? Get a spartan locker or a Detroit/eaton and stuff that, thing will go 90% of the placers you're gonna wanna go
I probably won't go up to 35s in the foreseeable future unless I suddenly come across a bunch of money and can afford cut and turned beams, and all that fancy stuff. I actually have a 4-speed granny gear in my Bronco, I think it's the T-18 or the NP435
Potato.
zachwabbit

Post by zachwabbit »

damon1272 wrote:If you have a stock LSD then I would add a friction and extra friction plates. Super cheap and works great for the 33's and stock power. Easy to do.
Unfortunately I don't have a stock LSD
Potato.
Tchajagos
Bronco Info: 1993 xlt stock on 33' BFGs

Post by Tchajagos »

zachwabbit wrote:The stock gears you have in that 8.8 you gave me?
Yep.
Tchajagos

Post by Tchajagos »

The secret to getting better traction is.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tchajagos

Post by Tchajagos »

Air down your tires. You will easily get twice the traction given you are not flexing the crap out of it with two wheels in the air.

zachwabbit

Post by zachwabbit »

Tchajagos wrote:Air down your tires. You will easily get twice the traction given you are not flexing the crap out of it with two wheels in the air.

Yeah that's the thing, I have a tendency to put it where I don't have all my tires on the ground :lol:
Potato.
Tchajagos

Post by Tchajagos »

If it's slower stuff and you have your wheels in the air a locker will be much much better. Spartan locker would work. LS works when you have the wheels spinning fast.

zachwabbit

Post by zachwabbit »

So refurbish one of the 8.8s and drop a spartan locker in it is.. I've dropped axles before but never messed with the stuff inside, is this something I could learn on my own and do in my driveway?
Potato.
zachwabbit

Post by zachwabbit »

What does axle code H9 designate?
Potato.
zachwabbit

Post by zachwabbit »

zachwabbit

Post by zachwabbit »

Welp apparently according to what I found on google it means I have 3.55 gears, and possibly a LS rear.. But it doesn't behave like I have an LS rear.. Is it possible that the clutches in the LS could be worn out causing it to malfunction? How do I go about getting this fixed. Some sources say axle code H9 is 3.55 gears while others say 3.55 and LS for sure
Potato.
cwrisley
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco..........

Post by cwrisley »

You'll have to check the tag on the diff cover to know for sure.
@cwriz
Tchajagos

Post by Tchajagos »

You can lift the rear and with the trans in park or in gear and engine off you can try and spin one tire. If it spins easily (like when let go it still spins for a bit) it's open. If it's hard to turn its LS. If it has resistance but still spins a little it's probably worn out.

zachwabbit

Post by zachwabbit »

Been kinda lacking on updates, but I got a refreshed 3.55 LSD 8.8 under the rear from Travis and Brandon, changed direction with the suspension, trying to sell my leveling kit and been gathering parts for a 4" lift to go with the cut and turned beams and heimed radius arms my buddy is building me. Still on the hunt for some parts to complete the rear, but I think I have everything for the front, just gotta pick up some Napa blue booted ball joints. Yesterday at work another GFB member I had not previously met gave me some 4" coils after I mounted up a tire for him, I didn't get your name before you left but if you see this thanks again man! Also got home today from work, after filling my gas tank all the way for the first time in a couple months and just my luck, it's leaking -____- haven't located the leak yet but hoping it's just the filler neck since it seems to start around there
Potato.
Tchajagos

Post by Tchajagos »

You can always flip the rear shackle for an inexpensive rear lift. Grind out the rear shackle hanger rivets and bolt back in upside down.
zachwabbit

Post by zachwabbit »

Tchajagos wrote:You can always flip the rear shackle for an inexpensive rear lift. Grind out the rear shackle hanger rivets and bolt back in upside down.
Thanks Travis! I just might do that.. Wanna see how it sits once the fronts done tho. Sheesh this stuff adds up.. $150 for Ruff Stuff heims, almost $200 for all four Napa bj's.. Throw in some friction modifier for my LSD and my last paycheck is almost gone haha
Potato.
AussieRod
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.

Post by AussieRod »

zachwabbit wrote:
Tchajagos wrote:You can always flip the rear shackle for an inexpensive rear lift. Grind out the rear shackle hanger rivets and bolt back in upside down.
Thanks Travis! I just might do that.. Wanna see how it sits once the fronts done tho. Sheesh this stuff adds up.. $150 for Ruff Stuff heims, almost $200 for all four Napa bj's.. Throw in some friction modifier for my LSD and my last paycheck is almost gone haha

Unless you have serious chatter from the LSD, I would NOT put friction modifier in there. (Personal experience).
zachwabbit

Post by zachwabbit »

AussieRod wrote:
zachwabbit wrote:

Unless you have serious chatter from the LSD, I would NOT put friction modifier in there. (Personal experience).
Why is that?
Potato.