Granny gear 5.0 Bronco build

zachwabbit
Bronco Info: '93 F150 XLT, '89 2wd B2(Smurfette)

Post by zachwabbit »

So figured I'd make a build thread for my slow moving build, she's a 1989 Bronco Custom with a 302 and a four speed granny gear. Bought from a towing yard in Chula Vista, had Washington plates when I got it and has a Canadian Ford dealership sticker on the drivers window, but surprisingly little rust. Anywhoo, it's mainly a weekend driver/ trail rig right now, but I have go fast aspirations.. Or as fast as I can go with 3 useable gears haha
Potato.
zachwabbit

Post by zachwabbit »

ImageImageImage
The day I stumbled upon her, I was actually looking for a 4x4 F100, then the guy at the yard said he had a stick shift Bronco, and it was an original V8, and I went DUUUUWWAAAAHHH?? Haha I had to see it, things just snowballed from there, I made him an offer and drove it home
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Re: Granny gear 5.0 Bronco build

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Cool truck. Pretty much 1/2 of Washington is desert, so there's a lot more rust free stuff up there than people think. Heck even on the wet side they don't salt the roads in the winter so stuff doesn't get thaaat bad.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
zachwabbit

Post by zachwabbit »

Thanks man. Yeah I'm not too familiar with Washington, but my girl wants to move there after we both graduate college as she has family there. The guys at Four Wheel Parts in El Cajon were so surprised it was an original stick V8, they think it's some kind of Canada-only option or something haha
Potato.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Are the kilometer per hour numbers larger than the miles per hour number in the speedo? If so it' probably a canadian truck. If not, it may not be. Then again someone may have swapped it out too.

As for WA - there's some pretty cool territory up there. Weather's a bit of a change from many places in So. Cal though.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
zachwabbit

Post by zachwabbit »

Naw MPH are larger, but the dash was all taken apart when I got ahold of it so maybe it was swapped. Just kinda odd that it has a Canadian Ford Dealership sticker on the window, and an old original one too. Yeah I'm torn between the rural mountains of Colorado since my dads from there, and rural sunny San Diego, I think the Filipino half of me likes the warmer climate haha but recently it's been freezing and pouring down here.. Or up here..? I'm still in San Diego county but where my family's ranch is at in Jamul is around 3,000ft elevation here in the mountains haha
Potato.
zachwabbit

Post by zachwabbit »

Image the next morning tried to straighten out the front bumper with a bottle jack and some cursing, didn't work haha
zachwabbit

Post by zachwabbit »

ImageImageImageImage
Hated the aftermarket taillights it came with but grew to love them after realizing they have super bright LED reverse lights. Then my girl bought me a Buzz Lightyear antenna topper the first time we went to Disneyland together(she loves everything Disney), so I named it 'Buzz'. Sadly since then some dirtbag stole it off my antenna while I was at work
zachwabbit

Post by zachwabbit »

Image my lab/chow Buddy hopped in to help me reinstall the back seat brackets, speakers, n stuff
zachwabbit

Post by zachwabbit »

Got a cheap Ford steering wheel cover from pepboys to cover the worn out sticky rubber, and replaced the oem shift knob after it cl stripped out and came off in my hand going down the road
zachwabbit

Post by zachwabbit »

Yanked the perfect rear bumper and quickly sold it off to put money towards a tube one with a built in hitch.. Which still hasn't been completed hah
zachwabbit

Post by zachwabbit »

ImageImage
Threw an old Lightning decal on the tailgate, it's an original one from 1995 ('96?), when I was a kid, my dad had a white first gen Lightning and had to replace one of the bed decals after it was side swiped, so he had one extra one as they were only sold in pairs from Ford, so he held onto it all these years and I ended up with it. I wish this thing was Lightning fast, need more power and more gears tho
zachwabbit

Post by zachwabbit »

I've always been a Ford guy, and most of my family owns Fords too, except my mom, she has a Hemi Jeep Commander. The 'Stang is my sisters boyfriends, the 4x4 Ranger is my sisters, and the Eddie Bauer B2 is my Dad's, all three are 5-speeds. Since then my Dad sold his B2, but I actually got it by trading a guy in LA my first FSB, a '90 300ci six, 5-speed ex-fire rig, and then gave the B2 to my Dad who is a disabled Navy veteran
cwrisley
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco..........

Post by cwrisley »

Looks great. Cool to see another east county guy on here. I laughed at your shifter knob coming off, my old 84 used to do that all the time. Gets your attention pretty quick!! Haha
zachwabbit

Post by zachwabbit »

Thanks man! Haha yeah now this cheapo pepboys replacement is already starting to strip out too, think I might have to replace it with a better one this time around, I really like the classic look of the white ball shift knob, but comin home from work sometimes I'll leave fingerprints on it. Most of these are old pics, I'm just trying to catch up, haven't had the Bronc very long and other miscellaneous life matters keep popping up so progress is slow
Potato.
zachwabbit

Post by zachwabbit »

When I had the first mods to the exhaust done, Summit Flowmaster 40-series knockoff muffler, right after the cats, and a turn down just before the rear axle
zachwabbit

Post by zachwabbit »

Can't find the other pics I took of the exhaust after everything was finished up, so he's my dog making use of the Bronco's shade lol. Since the first exhaust mod, I've had everything from the factory y-pipe back removed and replaced, running one new Magnaflow hi-flow cat, and a test pipe in place of the 2nd cat, more custom piping dumping out the same Summit muffler and turn down, sounds even meaner now, but not overly loud like the Cherry Bomb glass pack on my old Ram. Had all the work done at Jesse's muffler and brake in Lemon Grove, I'd recommend these guys to anyone, Jesse always cuts me a good deal and he'll work on anything from slammed imports and muscle cars to mild or wild 4x4s, his work is solid and I'll definitely come back to him, I even had him do a custom straight pipe on my old Subaru, might have him do a muffler delete on my commuter '14 Focus next. Can't thank these guys enough for helping me keep the Bronco going after the original cats clogged up completely(hence why they were removed/replaced)
zachwabbit

Post by zachwabbit »

ImageImage
zachwabbit

Post by zachwabbit »

Found em. This is the first version with just some piping, muffler, and turn down, all the other stuff was done later. A lot of these are old pics as I'm trying to play catch up and get my build thread up to speed to where the Bronco's at now. I've had it for a little less than a year, and I've been working on other stuff in between, so progress has been kinda slow
zachwabbit

Post by zachwabbit »

Ordered this Pro Comp bolt on light bar from Summit in an attempt to keep the front end clean and simple and add more lights, but quickly decided that I was going to ditch the bent factory bumper altogether and run a full tube bumper Image
Of course I decided I didn't like it anymore right after I painted it to match-__-
Picked up these 3 Hella 500's from a guy in Carlsbad brand new. Just waiting on my buddy who is building this monster into his chase/camping rig for his prerunner F150, he's promised to help me modify and mount the front bumper and build a rear one as my welding skills are limited Image
ImageImage
It's some sort of military truck and it is ginormous.. He's building a camper for the rear and fabricating a sort of Exo cage/roof rack setup. Boy am I glad I never have to change tires on something like this at work.
Ended up trading the Pro Comp light bar for this tube bumper, needs some modification, but it's hard to beat for the priceImage