Post by DMbronco »

DMbronco
Bronco Info: 96 XLT 351

Re: Bray's 96 Sleeper

Post by DMbronco »

couple of video links- we upgraded our gopros so this footage is much superior

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Sko7a8AjqM

3 wheel motion at 1:00 min, TTB wheel action right after

nice rollers at 1:45 (clip of that here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_qQ6e_xiFs

shot of pass front tire and ttb working

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXYfeg88naM
DMbronco

Post by DMbronco »

Found our way back to the marsh out in BLM land- pretty good sized water hole. anyone know anything about this?

clear water bubbling up from the ground was helping feed it

good times

toddz69

Post by toddz69 »

Fantastic photos!

Todd Z.
DMbronco

Post by DMbronco »

Couple of updates on the rig; finally got the CAB unlimited hub centric sleeves in the mix- nice to now be hub centric on all 4 corners. They look sharp too

DMbronco

Post by DMbronco »

Couple of buddies have some new tech rigs so we had to go get em dirty.

Spanking new JK Rubicon hybrid- thing has 25 miles of electric and 300 miles of fuel range. stock w 33s and lockers. over 6k pounds!!!

. plan was to run it up Nate Harrison but you know the desert beckons from there. So down for the day we went. That thing did GREAT. Awesome machine, especially right out of the box.

of course, we're here for the broncos so here's some poser shots

DMbronco

Post by DMbronco »

Weekend after I jammed out on a Sunday to meet my buddy in his gen2 raptor. Love those stubby little supercabs. rad

Fun was just getting started when things got fucked up fast
DMbronco

Post by DMbronco »

First time really running him through Ocotillo, so I was loafing in tour guide mode and thank yahweh.

About 25 miles toward Superstition coming from Fish Creek/ Split Mountain, I came up on this stretch doing about 30

slowed the brakes with plenty of time to limit the speed and turn back to the right driver's side tire dipped into a hole.
Nothing even on my oh shit radar- truck charges stuff way gnarlier than that at greater speeds

not this time. huge bang and then pitched forward HARD onto driver's side front

and here we sat

DMbronco

Post by DMbronco »

Jumped out expecting to see carnage, and at first glance, I sure as hell did. Lower coil laying in the dirt and shaft just hanging there naked.
Thinking it was sheared off I inspected and found that the threads were all intact and no evidence of breakage.

Lower mount still bolted to the axle housing, hardware all good.

lower eyelet in place but staring me straight in the face. fingerblasted the inside and threads felt just fine.

Inspected the shaft and noted that the threads were all road grimed out as if they hadn't been properly threaded into the eyelet.
Eyelet has lots of depth available, but I could tell by looking that the shaft was not seated, or had not been seated for a long time, if ever.

No evidence of loctite on that threaded portion of the shaft either.

No time to pontificate on that at the time, but interested to hear what you all have to say/think about that.

Props to my guys at Richer who have already contacted King and got a new lower eyelet (at no charge from King so kudos to them for that) and got me checked out and back on the road already, but damned if that isn't some scary shit!

I think of that thing coming apart on me while doing some of the riskier terrain and speed at which I operate and it chills my blood.

I got lucky here. escaping without ruining my co dawg or my own health obvious #1, but also all the variables in the front end that could have been trashed.

That's some crazy stuff and makes me wonder if enough care was taken in QC, especially when you're talking equipment like 14" travel 3.0 IBP that those guys at King have to expect is going to be pushed. This ain't no fucking mallcrawl broverlander rooftop tent bolt on shock package eh?

Anyhow, bygones and all that- how bout the fun part?

How TF do I get this bitch back to pavement and meet the AAA chasetruck without calling my boys at S&R Towing (The MEN BTW!) to come rescue me @ 200 an hour?

Necessity is the mother of all invention so here's your carnage and MacGuyver pics all in one hahah!!!

Ran her at an excruciating glacially slow pace the entire way back while my codawg jumped in the raptor and took hot laps around me for the next couple hours.
At least the boys had some fun!

Without further ado: custom fabricated, 100% locally sourced, organically grown shock package! (yes, it will hang in the garage FOREVER!)

toddz69

Post by toddz69 »

So to be clear, that shaft just unthreaded itself from the eyelet? Nothing sheared, nothing really broken, right? I do like the wood spacer to get ya home.

Todd Z.
DMbronco

Post by DMbronco »

toddz69 wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:39 am
So to be clear, that shaft just unthreaded itself from the eyelet? Nothing sheared, nothing really broken, right? I do like the wood spacer to get ya home.

Todd Z.
That’s correct Todd; just worked itself free.
Loctite would have helped I’m sure.

Also wonder how well seated it was into the eyelet in the first place. Judging by the threads in the shaft, there didn’t appear to be much if barely any, thread engagement.

Glad ya like the spacer- buddies and I were taking bets on how long it would hold up. That desert wood is typically some brittle stuff ha
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

The pics are always amazing Bray! Always love seeing your outings. We should sync up for KOH!
DMbronco

Post by DMbronco »

tcm glx wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:28 pm
The pics are always amazing Bray! Always love seeing your outings. We should sync up for KOH!
Yo Tony!

Work had me on the road and missing KOH- bet it was a blast. Hoping to make the Ocotillo Wells clean up run 2/18.

I'll shoot you a text
DMbronco

Post by DMbronco »

Made it out for a trip the weekend before last- nice to get a clean run in considering the last time out... she performs again!

Found our way up to Diablo Drop off via Fish Creek and then camped in the state park.

Great moon and meteor showers- and our usual visitor made an appearance

friday

sat

fox pal

DMbronco

Post by DMbronco »

First trip out to the trestle this season- hadn't been since the big wash out

DMbronco

Post by DMbronco »

Got home just in time to pick up the new one (finally!) and snap some pics for reference:

DMbronco

Post by DMbronco »

and all tidied up and tucked away until the next excursion

24hours
Bronco Info: looking for a white, ex-police 5.8 with brown interior (Found!) 1996, 5.8 XL

Post by 24hours »

How’d the Gen2 Raptor do compared to your Bronco?
DMbronco

Post by DMbronco »

Yo 24!

Sorry for the delayed response- don't check this thread that often.

Gen2 does great keeping up through the smoother stuff- extra power and wheelbase work well.

Into the rougher stuff and bigger whoops is where the bronco shines. dual rate c/o superior and the extra travel sure is nice

Also, really difficult to compare to compare fully caged rigs to factory- the feel is completely different

All that being said, that raptor is an awesome truck!