Bray's 96 Sleeper

DMbronco
Bronco Info: 96 XLT 351

Re: Bray's 96 Sleeper

Post by DMbronco »

dtbback wrote:You're welcome. Can you describe the difference in performance going from the Rancho to the Camburg to the SWP kit? I have read Shane's build thread dozens of times and really like how much usable travel he gets with his hybrid Rancho/SWP front end. Since I want to stay "stock width", unless I am able to successfully copy Otter's Tina Turner +2 set up, copying Shane's set up is something that I am always considering.

Sure can;

Rancho performed admirably; had 5100s up front and a drop pitman arm. Ran 33 BFG ATs.
Biggest hindrance was wheelhop running 3" blocks under stock leaves, and traction with stock 3.55s and limited slips.

Tony's brother Vic had someone total his bronco, and they made me a smokin deal on the front camburg suspension, third member and rear axle- all geared at 4.56 and open carrier.

i like the c&t better for increased ground clearance; my buddies with SFA are jealous. Although Shane's truck is proven and I've see it- very nice truck.
With the price of a decent set of beams waht they are now though; I dont see why you wouldnt go that route.

I loaded the d44 up with an Aussie lunchbox locker, and a Detroit out back. Stepped up to 35s, and bolted on Deaver J40s. I like the 3" wide spring bc thats what came from Ford; and extended shackles dropped ride height enough to make it work.

Up front, I resused the 5100s, and tried running Deaver 5.5 progressive coils; couldnt pull camber into spec w eccentrics, so went back to 4" coil.

That was a super useful set up, and behaved nicely on the street, although the Detroit is something I could live with, certain situations like parking lots, u turns and wet pavement had me thinking about selectables....
dtbback
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig

Post by dtbback »

Thanks!!!! That is the information I have really been needing since I am still in the planning and parts gathering phase of my build. If I ended up finding just the Rancho beam brakets and pitman was to mock them up and then have them modified to bolt to the frame in addition to the crossmember. Really similar to Giant's dropped beam pivot's. The hopefully that would resolve the torque problems that result in a cracked crossmember. I'd probably still run the beams with uniballs to make the articulation as smooth as possible. Plus gain a little up travel.

BUT, after hearing your feedback on each style of kit I think uniballed C&T will be it for me.
DMbronco

Post by DMbronco »

So as I was thinking/dreaming about selectables, a perfect storm blew into town,.

First, I took ONE 5 minute ride in Guard's (Michael's 96 sleeper) and I was sold. Whole different animal to midtravel, and that had me thinking.

Within the next week, I found a guy in Azusa, who was putting 'tons in under his '96. He sold me complete d44 stock housings and 8.8 loaded w 4.56s and ARBs.

Same day, answered an ad from a member here who stalled on his plans for his bronco. He had Bilstein 9100 coilovers in 14" stroke, ACV modded, built and valved by Joel, and 12" stroke 9100 quad bypasses for the rear. This stuff was 6 months old, but had never been out of the boxes- not even for mockup. Smokin deal there.

But before I took the trip to LA to grab the goodies, I conferred with SWP and we proceeded to go ahead with the big plan.

Delivered it all to SWP, and was able to source a bolt in 3rd from an '81 bronco as well.

Of course, I ended up tweaking things here and there- stock coilover sliders were squeaking, so I got AGM sliders, Eibachs broke down and sucked, so went to Hypercoils, but by and large, it was a perfect set up.

Actually took 3 trips to the desert before I even realized how to drive the damn thing!

the best analogy I can offer is that skipping across the rough is like skipping a stone across the ripples of a lake- it just kinda glides right over.

first time I discovered this, my copilot and I came around a corner way to fast and saw another turn w offcamber nasties, and braking wouldve been catastrophic; so I just stabbed the skinny and charged right through like a champ.

after reviewing that moment on the GoPro footage, you can hear us tense up and then start giggling and whooping like a buncha schoolgirls lmao.

things have never been the same, and I've been hooked since!
DMbronco

Post by DMbronco »

Forgot to mention, while truck was in rebuild mode, I was able to move the camburg stuff and complete third, shocks, straps, etc to a nice young dude from AZ and pass the deal along.

And sold the rear end with 4.56s and Detroit to a guy who ended up being a good buddy of mine Taylor (NuBreed71). it still lives on (until he goes wiiiiiider that is)
Go Gauchos T!

Our trucks on this site are quite incestuous haha
DMbronco

Post by DMbronco »

dtbback wrote:Thanks!!!! That is the information I have really been needing since I am still in the planning and parts gathering phase of my build. If I ended up finding just the Rancho beam brakets and pitman was to mock them up and then have them modified to bolt to the frame in addition to the crossmember. Really similar to Giant's dropped beam pivot's. The hopefully that would resolve the torque problems that result in a cracked crossmember. I'd probably still run the beams with uniballs to make the articulation as smooth as possible. Plus gain a little up travel.

BUT, after hearing your feedback on each style of kit I think uniballed C&T will be it for me.
Hey DTB, does your truck still have factory beam mounts, or has it already been modified to use drop brackets?

That would factor somewhat in my decision; ie if those beam mounts are stock, leavem strong and go c&t, And save yourself the trouble of drilling that bitch out, It's no joke, and even after buying a 90 degree drill, it was still a bear.

If you already have drop brackets, then the decision becomes tougher, bc sourcing a clean pass beam mount is tough (Philo came to my rescue on that one FYI)
dtbback
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig

Post by dtbback »

DMbronco wrote:So as I was thinking/dreaming about selectables, a perfect storm blew into town,.

First, I took ONE 5 minute ride in Guard's (Michael's 96 sleeper) and I was sold. Whole different animal to midtravel, and that had me thinking.

Within the next week, I found a guy in Azusa, who was putting 'tons in under his '96. He sold me complete d44 stock housings and 8.8 loaded w 4.56s and ARBs.

Same day, answered an ad from a member here who stalled on his plans for his bronco. He had Bilstein 9100 coilovers in 14" stroke, ACV modded, built and valved by Joel, and 12" stroke 9100 quad bypasses for the rear. This stuff was 6 months old, but had never been out of the boxes- not even for mockup. Smokin deal there.

But before I took the trip to LA to grab the goodies, I conferred with SWP and we proceeded to go ahead with the big plan.

Delivered it all to SWP, and was able to source a bolt in 3rd from an '81 bronco as well.

Of course, I ended up tweaking things here and there- stock coilover sliders were squeaking, so I got AGM sliders, Eibachs broke down and sucked, so went to Hypercoils, but by and large, it was a perfect set up.

Actually took 3 trips to the desert before I even realized how to drive the damn thing!

the best analogy I can offer is that skipping across the rough is like skipping a stone across the ripples of a lake- it just kinda glides right over.

first time I discovered this, my copilot and I came around a corner way to fast and saw another turn w offcamber nasties, and braking wouldve been catastrophic; so I just stabbed the skinny and charged right through like a champ.

after reviewing that moment on the GoPro footage, you can hear us tense up and then start giggling and whooping like a buncha schoolgirls lmao.

things have never been the same, and I've been hooked since!
Hahaha that sounds awesome and really similar to my parts accumulation. I have been lurking and commenting for months while learning, planning, wheeling and dealing, and revising!! In fact one of my first purchases were a complete front and rear set up from an '82 bronco delivered to me from SD. I am most likely selling the 9" from the bronco to Birdco85 since I want to go full float and my 8.8 is in decent shape. But, when I picked up those drive trains I didn't even know about the 3-bolt third!!!! Which I have and I am swapping in when I regear for the 35s. Then my c-clip 44 will say bye bye. I scored big time on some headers, deavers, and fox 2.5x14" C/Os and 3 Tubes. I pretty much have everything I need to get going.
dtbback

Post by dtbback »

BTW, do you have the GoPro footage you eluded to earlier? Would be awesome to see!!!!
DMbronco

Post by DMbronco »

Sounds like you're on a similar path- but able to avoid some of the detours!

nice score on the bolt in 3rd- I never really liked the 'spring trick' on my old set up...

re GoPro- lemme see if I can dig some up...
DMbronco

Post by DMbronco »

last weekend, the old man brought out the orange '69.

love this truck. it was our project the summer before I went off to school. She's almost too pretty to get dirty!

atop some nice mudhills- track got pretty narrow at points; more of a side by side trail...
DMbronco

Post by DMbronco »

DMbronco

Post by DMbronco »

DMbronco

Post by DMbronco »

robertcrav
Let me google that for you
Bronco Info: Lana - Stock width c/t coil-overs/bypasses -- Sylvia - Stock width 4" Rancho kit on Billies

Post by robertcrav »

Damn Bray you're on a roll today
DMbronco

Post by DMbronco »

picked up a 32" lightbar from Taylor, and a couple sets of dually style LED cubes from RCraven (thanks Robert), and thinking about mounting em all up like this- not sure though- what does GFB say? I know one lightbar would look cleaner, but these cubes are euro beam and may be suitable for on road use, and also have amber lenses...

DMbronco

Re:

Post by DMbronco »

robertcrav wrote:Damn Bray you're on a roll today
speak of the devil! how ya been Robert? bout time I get those LEDs on eh? only been sitting in boxes for a year haha!

guess i am on a roll- have been hoarding pics and biding my time until i felt she was coming close to the light at the end of the tunnel!

still have that mag hytec for you- havent forgot
dtbback

Post by dtbback »

My bronco is still rolling the stock suspension. Just put her on 35s and had to take my front bumper off to be able to turn lol. I have been thinking of buying Kelly's driverside beam mount but I will probably take the if it ain't broke don't fix it till it is route. I have spent a ton of time learning. Searching, reading, and rereading threads and then coming up with some of my own ideas on how I want my build to come together.
robertcrav
Let me google that for you
Bronco Info: Lana - Stock width c/t coil-overs/bypasses -- Sylvia - Stock width 4" Rancho kit on Billies

Post by robertcrav »

Good good just busy...truck looks great man. I like the layout, since you have the fill panels on the bumper don't have much of a choice. I use my cubes on the street...may have to aim them slightly down since our trucks rise so well in the front

Ya I still need to grab that for you one of these days...

And I need to get out in the dirt with you and your Dad as well
DMbronco

Post by DMbronco »

thanks for the info on euros- gonna try em out and see how opposing traffic responds.

will give you a ring next time i drive past your neck of the woods and drop that diff cover for you.

and yes, re a desert run. We're talking about TDS in Truckhaven 3/7, and then April is wide open for us. I am off mainland from 3/15-3/29.

catch up soon Rob
nubreed71
Bronco Info: 1997 F-250 Crewcab Shortbed

Post by nubreed71 »

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh fella! Looks like someone set the record for a 5 page build thread in under 24 hours haha! Truck looks killer as always.
De$ertBronco
Bronco Info: currently under the knife @ RICHER RACING!

Post by De$ertBronco »

hey bray it's josh from ford.... bronco looks awesome dude! haven't heard from ya in a while so i am assuming she is running like a top in addition to lookin sweet as hell! drive her over so i can have a look!