TRC's 79' build

t.r.c
Bronco Info: 79 Bronco, 545ci stroker, TTB conversion, 4.5” fabricated beams/3.5” bypasses etc, AutoFab Glass

TRC's 79' build

Post by t.r.c »

Hello all!

Although my rig isn't an all-out go fast style build, it will see some air and quite a bit of time in the sand. My goal is a good all around KOH style Bronco, something I can bash on in the dunes then hit some trails on the way home. I'm on a somewhat limited budget (Uncle Sam doesn't give us a Bronco allowance :x ) so it wont be rapid progress by any means, but i'll update this as I chug along.

A little background... (this is when most will stop reading and scroll to the pictures :lol: )

I got the go-fast bug from my Father (Archer66). Growing up in the back seat of his Bronco has me slightly attached to the old iron 78/79's. I fallowed his lead when I was 16 and bought a 79' of my own. Back then the only thing "going fast" was the money in my wallet and gas in the tank... so a "prerunner" style build was a little out of my league. I ended up with a run of the mill mud truck, 39's a 429ci and some half ton axles. It became immediately apparent that 1/2 tons were not up to the task of handling the torque of 429. After a grenaded 9" I forked out the cash for some 2003 Superduty 1-Ton axles. I'm lucky enough to have Jim Cole of Cage Offroad/Bloody Knuckle Garage as my brothers father in-law and close family friend, so I got a screaming deal on some radius arms/coils/coil buckets/dual shock hoops. Around the same time I had Gannin of "generation Transmissions" build a pretty bullet-proof C6 for it. Then I swapped a twin-stick Np205 in place of the chain drive Np203, and did a Sky shackle flip in the rear with a custom shock hoop, keeping them out of the tub. I ran it like this for about 6 months, made a few trips to the dunes and TSF and it performed awesome! On the last day before I shipped out for boot camp I was pulling away from a stop sign by my house and BANG! The engine sounded like a pair of boots tumbling around in a dryer, I shut it off and coasted into my driveway, got out to see oil shooting out of a hole on the oil pan... so the 429 was undoubtedly fubar. Unfortunately I have been stationed in Japan for the last 2 years so its been sitting untouched patiently waiting for some attention...

My Father was nice enough to pull the engine this week and asses the damage. Looks like a rod failed and took out part of the block on its way out. So my goal now is to have a pile of FoMoCo BBF goodies waiting for me when I go back stateside in April, and throw the motor together while i'm on leave.

A basic outline of the engine build:
-Lunati Voodoo forged 4340 crankshaft (4.5 stroke)
-Lunati Voodoo forged 4340 H-beam connecting rods with ARP 2000 bolts
-Diamond Racing forged pistons (.030 bore w/Cobra Jet valve reliefs)
-Diamond Racing file fit plasma moly rings
-King HP/XP bearings
-Ford Super Cobra Jet aluminum heads w/ bowl blending
-Lunati roller rockers
-Lunati solid flat tappet cam/lifters
-High Flow Dynamics Street/Strip oil pump
-Weiand Stealth SCJ intake
-L&L 3/4 length headers matched to SCJ ports
-Lunati 9-key billet timing set
-Full MSD igntion (pro-billet dizzy/6AL/coil/wires)
-11:1 compression

Comes out to be a 545ci stroker, should make quite a bit of grunt...

While I'm there I plan on throwing in:
-4 Core aluminum radiator w/ electric fans
-Full manual Valve body for the C6
-Hilduff "Stick Shifter"

The only thing i'm undecided on is the Carb. I'd love to run the truck avenger series for their offroad characteristics, however 770 CFM wont be enough for this thirsty motor. I'm contemplating going with a Holley HP 4150 Series Stage 2 1000cfm Carb from "Performance Carb and Speed". $800 for an offroad oriented carb built for my engine seams like a pretty decent deal.

I know...I know...enough babbling "wheres the pictures?!" :mrgreen:

The man responsible for my addiction

When I first got it

What brought upon the 1-Tons

And the 1-Ton conversion

The rear shock mount

T-Case cross-member and driveline fab work.

And out enjoying it!

A decent amount of droop for a pig...

And finally... what that BANG was... :x :evil:

My longterm plan for it (subject to change :lol: ) is coilovers up front, full cage front to back, either Deavers and a good set of bypass's in the rear or a 4 link with coilovers and bypass's, completely new interior, Autofab front fenders/drop center hood (w/ small cowl induction scoop to clear the 545) and bedsides... and i'm sure i'll find more stuff I HAVE to have before its said and done :P

Thank you for taking the time to read my life story.... errrr build thread... or atleast looking at pictures! :mrgreen:
FlogginHarvey
Bronco Info: 1975 EB 302, C4, D20, d44, F9", Battlment Fab radius arms, king 2.5 smooth body reservoirs

Re: TRC's 79' build

Post by FlogginHarvey »

Awesome story and lovin the solid axle Steed!!! Thank you for your service!

Jim is a great guy! He chatted and shared a ton of EB info when I was collecting parts for my build a couple of years back. I ended up buying a set of old style rear shock mounts from him for the build. I have a build in the Early Bronco section going... jim is a Cool guy.
t.r.c
Bronco Info: 79 Bronco, 545ci stroker, TTB conversion, 4.5” fabricated beams/3.5” bypasses etc, AutoFab Glass

Post by t.r.c »

Thank you!

Jim is an AWESOME guy, super down to earth and will go out of his way to make sure you are happy! I'm very lucky to have his help.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Cool truck! I've got quite a soft spot for the 73-79 F-series & broncos. Enjoy seeing them getting some love.
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

You may want to look into a Fast EFI system instead of a carb. It works really well. Getting carbs to work well in the rough is difficult to say the least... even with a sucker pump.
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419637955.750118.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419637955.750118.jpg (228.85 KiB) Viewed 5474 times
Here is a pic of my BBF with Fast EFI on it.
t.r.c

Post by t.r.c »

philofab wrote:You may want to look into a Fast EFI system instead of a carb. It works really well. Getting carbs to work well in the rough is difficult to say the least... even with a sucker pump.
I have heard good things about the Fast EFI systems, for now will probably stick with the cheaper Carb setup to get it rolling again, But I think ultimately that is the direction I want to go! If there's any thing I've learned from this engine build so far its that getting the most Horsepower takes one thing... "Cubic Dollars" :lol:
t.r.c

Post by t.r.c »

Well I have a little update... its hard to make much progress (besides spending money) living in Japan.

The Bronco's been long overdue for a set of new shoes, so I bucked up and ordered a set of 40x13.5x17 Goodyear MTR kevlars and 17x8.5 Walker Evans beadlocks.
I went with 4.5" backspacing hoping I can keep the tires in the fenders... looks like i'll be contacting Autofab for some bulged front fenders and rear quarter panels soon! I also got a set of H57 4" lift Deavers for the rear, scooped them up from a buddy for $200 hardly used.

In the end I want this to sit as low as possible on the 40's while still making some decent travel numbers. Right away I'll be ditching the SKY shackle flip in favor of some factory style shackle hangers with longer shackles and the H57 leafs I picked up.

The overall plan for the rear is: 3.0 triple bypasses through the floor with a bed cage that will be able to be incorporated into the cage down the line, limit straps, hydro bumps, 2-link, tubbed fenders, and a truss for the rear end. And for the Front: ditching the coil spring setup in favor of coilovers with an engine cage, limit straps, hydro bumps, truss the D60, and some new DOM steering links.

I'm getting pretty excited about coming home in April, I haven't been on American soil in over 2 years (besides Guam... but that doesnt count right? HA!). Not to mention i'll be coming home to a pretty good size stack of Bronco goodies!
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Sounds like a good plan for the beast.

If you feel you absolutely need to keep the tires under the fenders these are an option too. They rounded design isn't for everyone, but they are 5" flare over stock per side so they give a bit more coverage. Fit & finish is at autofab level or higher.
Giant truck 2.jpg
Giant truck 2.jpg (168.9 KiB) Viewed 5294 times
t.r.c

Post by t.r.c »

I can't say i'm a huge fan of the 5" bulge, but they would most definitely keep the tires inside the fenders. I'm really not overly concerned with keeping them tucked in the fenders though, a little tire sticking out helps keep my foolsize body straight on trails out here. I think with the right offset and 13.5 wide tires the 3" autofabs should come out just about right, I will find out soon I suppose!
93Broncobuff
Bronco Info: 1993, 351w, K&N,4" Bilstein 5100 lift, procomp coils, SSFAB Beams, Giant R/A's

Post by 93Broncobuff »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:Sounds like a good plan for the beast.

If you feel you absolutely need to keep the tires under the fenders these are an option too. They rounded design isn't for everyone, but they are 5" flare over stock per side so they give a bit more coverage. Fit & finish is at autofab level or higher.
Giant truck 2.jpg

Ok here it is..... the SEXIEST!!!!!!!! truck I have ever seen im my whole g-damn life!!!
t.r.c

Post by t.r.c »

Theres some FoMoCo goodies showing up at my home stateside...

dtbback
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig

Post by dtbback »

Hey those went to the wrong address, lol!! Can't wait to see the year down and build up!!
t.r.c

Post by t.r.c »

hahaha Thanks!

Well after 2 years i'm finally back home! It felt like Christmas came early this year coming home to a shop full of boxes... the Bronco was looking pretty rough, after sitting 2 years in the PNW. I took a pressure washer to it and knocked the moss off.

then I started the tear down for new fenders/paint

I couldnt help myself, had to mock up the front fenders too see how it looks. should look good on 40's with 2"-3" or so less lift.

Then we laid out the plans for the rear quarters, and cut the stock quarters up... no turning back now!

Then I worked on porting/gasket matching the Super Cobra Jet heads

then mocked up the heads and cycled it with an adjustable pushrod to get the pushrod lengths.

and a picture of the carnage from the old motor...

Should have the motor stuffed this weekend, and fired up next weekend!
Rmc
El Jefe
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner

Post by Rmc »

Dang! Those rods! Nice to see you working on it.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

can't wait to see pics of the autofab bedsides. Haven't seen any pics of his 78/79 ones.
Bronco Info: 1979 Class 3 Race Bronco. Built in 2000.

Post by 300 »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:can't wait to see pics of the autofab bedsides. Haven't seen any pics of his 78/79 ones.
Sure you have.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

really? Last I heard they were almost done, but that may be a year ago now. Haven't seen anyone with them that I can remember. Talking the new, bronco ones here, NOT the truck bedsides.
t.r.c

Post by t.r.c »

I haven't seen any other 78/79 with the rear Autofab quarters online, unless I missed it, which is very possible.

Couldnt help myself from slapping them on temporarily today to see how they look. I'm really happy with it. Should look good sitting 2-3" lower on 40's

ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Those look good!