TRC's 79' build

dtbback
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig

Re: TRC's 79' build

Post by dtbback »

Damn!!! What a beast!!
t.r.c
Bronco Info: 79 Bronco, 545ci stroker, TTB conversion, 4.5” fabricated beams/3.5” bypasses etc, AutoFab Glass

Post by t.r.c »

dtbback wrote:Damn!!! What a beast!!
yikes wrote:You've got to have a big fat smile every time you fire that beast up. Love it!
Thanks guys! Yikes, it puts me in a better mood every time it fires up! Not sure if it has the same effect on my new neighbors though... haha

I Tore the front end apart today and took some measurements for coilovers/bypasses. Looks like I need to Fab a new track bar bracket to push it forward. I moved the front end forward 2" when we did the axle swap, now the track bar makes contact with the diff cover and takes roughly 3" of available up travel. Should be able to cycle a Clean 14-15" with a new track bar bracket. The McQueen glass has clearance lock to lock at full bump with the 40's, if I ran the AutoFab glass it looks like I'll be having to trim the lower forward corner quite a bit.

Tchajagos
Bronco Info: 1993 xlt stock on 33' BFGs

TRC's 79' build

Post by Tchajagos »

I have a front TTB cross member of you are interested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tchajagos
Bronco Info: 1993 xlt stock on 33' BFGs

TRC's 79' build

Post by Tchajagos »

Tchajagos wrote:I have a front TTB cross member of you are interested
Haha I know you swapped to a 1 ton already. It looks great. I really like the glass on the front.
t.r.c
Bronco Info: 79 Bronco, 545ci stroker, TTB conversion, 4.5” fabricated beams/3.5” bypasses etc, AutoFab Glass

Post by t.r.c »

Tchajagos wrote:
Tchajagos wrote:I have a front TTB cross member of you are interested
Haha I know you swapped to a 1 ton already. It looks great. I really like the glass on the front.

Thanks for the offer, But I think for now i'm going to push with finishing up with the solid axle and seeing if i'm happy with it.
t.r.c

Post by t.r.c »

Today I got around to swapping back to stock style shackle hangers, since I was running a shackle flip. I also installed Camburg +1.5" shackles while I was it it. As it sits now it should be roughly 1'' lower than factory ride height. I'm really happy with this ride height! however, When I install the H57 Deavers it will raise it around 4" supposedly... So now i'm looking into possibly running a different leaf pack. I would love to run a spring under setup like the Giant 64" kit, but I already have new hangers, camburg shackles, and an autofab 2-link setup so it makes more sense financially to try and find an alternative leaf to run and maintain the same ride height instead of starting from scratch with Giants kit. Are there other options for spring-under leafs that would use factory mounts? I'm worried if I stay spring-over with such a low stance ill be running into negative arch before using up all my available up-travel.

On a happy note, C&J Engineering should have my new carb done soon

Anyways, heres some shots of the new stance with stock leafs/hangers and Camburg shackles

JonMac31
Bronco Info: 1994, 351w, 2.5x12" Sway-Away (500/600#), Deaver J40 w/ Camburg ext. Shackle/Bilstein 5100 14"

Post by JonMac31 »

Did you have to notch your cross member along the body for your shackles? I have the same ones and mine are rubbing right on that xmember.
If you did have to notch it, how much did you take out and what did you use to do it?
t.r.c

Post by t.r.c »

JonMac31 wrote:Did you have to notch your cross member along the body for your shackles? I have the same ones and mine are rubbing right on that xmember.
If you did have to notch it, how much did you take out and what did you use to do it?

Mine were BARELY rubbing, so I got a carbide bit on a die grinder and clearanced it. I didn't have to take much more than 1/4" off mine

So I think i've come up with a solution for my rear end. I'll keep the H57 Deavers, and run them under the axle. that will lower the rear end 2.25" or so, i'll have to notch the frame 2" to maintain 8" of up travel. I'll lower the front 2" when I get coilovers and it should have the same stance it has now but sitting 2" lower overall.
JonMac31
Bronco Info: 1994, 351w, 2.5x12" Sway-Away (500/600#), Deaver J40 w/ Camburg ext. Shackle/Bilstein 5100 14"

Post by JonMac31 »

t.r.c wrote:Mine were BARELY rubbing, so I got a carbide bit on a die grinder and clearanced it. I didn't have to take much more than 1/4" off mine
I think the body's might be different from 79 to 94 lol. But my xmember has like a "lip" that curves down. The shackles themselves rub barely, but the deavers (j40) are riding right on it.
Instead of cutting and removing a whole chunk of that xmember, I am just going to make relief cuts and try to make a flap that I can bend up and out of the way. I made the cuts, but that metal is stout. This probably would have been easier when the shackles were OFF but I ignored that... hehe.

I think I might just make like a wide "U" cut. I don't believe it needs a lot to be trimmed (maybe 1/2" at most). Other then that, everything is fine.
t.r.c

Post by t.r.c »

JonMac31 wrote:
t.r.c wrote:Mine were BARELY rubbing, so I got a carbide bit on a die grinder and clearanced it. I didn't have to take much more than 1/4" off mine
I think the body's might be different from 79 to 94 lol. But my xmember has like a "lip" that curves down. The shackles themselves rub barely, but the deavers (j40) are riding right on it.
Instead of cutting and removing a whole chunk of that xmember, I am just going to make relief cuts and try to make a flap that I can bend up and out of the way. I made the cuts, but that metal is stout. This probably would have been easier when the shackles were OFF but I ignored that... hehe.

I think I might just make like a wide "U" cut. I don't believe it needs a lot to be trimmed (maybe 1/2" at most). Other then that, everything is fine.
yeah they might be different if you're having to cut that much more than I am, but then again I haven't cycled mine yet to see how the springs themselves are going to clear so I may run into the same issue!

well since I'm going spring under I wanted some stouter spring plates and perches. But, from what I could find all of the aftermarket ones are made for 2.5" wide springs not 3". So this weekend I started making some myself instead. They're made from .250 steel and hug the side of the leafs tightly so if I ever shear a centering pin the leafs are somewhat contained. The design also allows me to run a shorter U-Bolt while also protecting them and retaining as much ground clearance as possible.

VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Post by VintageIronFab »

Go to a Allen head cap screw and ditch the factory style pins-- if the leafs need a bigger hole for a bigger size then use the same carbide bit for the holes. Those regular leaf center pins are junk!
http://www.vintageironfabworks.com

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
t.r.c

Post by t.r.c »

VintageIronFab wrote:Go to a Allen head cap screw and ditch the factory style pins-- if the leafs need a bigger hole for a bigger size then use the same carbide bit for the holes. Those regular leaf center pins are junk!
Yeah I ditched the Grade 2 factory center pins and put in some Grade 8 bolts and rounded the heads, should be much stronger!
t.r.c

Post by t.r.c »

got the H57's under the truck, man its sitting low now, The rear bumpers only 22" off the ground for reference. I ended up with a bit more rake than I was hoping for but its not too horrible, I may end up doing to J40's down the road to gain an inch or two in the back.

As it sits now I have 6.5-7" bump travel up front and would have 8" available with a 3.5" notch in the rear.

Bronco Info: 1979 Class 3 Race Bronco. Built in 2000.

Post by 300 »

You do realize you can re-arch what you have with a 12# sledge and a big piece of channel. Just eat your Wheaties first and wear some ear plugs.
t.r.c

Post by t.r.c »

Not alot of updates on the Bronco unfortunately, between getting ready for our second kid and working 12's I haven't had as much time as I would like to work on it. However, this 1968 F100 4x4 short-bed popped up for way too cheap and I jumped on it with the intentions of flipping it.

My Dad has been looking to sell his Bronco to fund his 68 fastback build, so instead of selling it to some stranger I offered my F100 in trade. He agreed, however he'll be keeping his motor for the Mustang. So, that left me to find a motor. I picked up this 429ci motor locally and am currently going through it and cleaning it up.

Specs so far: 1971 Ford iron block. Stock stroke 429 cast crank. Factory Cobra Jet rods with ARP bolts. Keith Black Forged pistons. Comp Cams flat tappet camshaft(244/254 @ 0.050 duration, .604/.604 lift). Comp Cams double roller timing chain. Milodon oil pump, pickup, and pan. S.F.I. flywheel. Short block is fully balanced. DOVE heads with Comp Cams screw in studs, guide plates, springs, locks, retainers, valves, pushrods, and 1.73 full roller aluminum rocker arms. Duraspark distributor. Weiand Stealth intake manifold Barry Grant 850 Demon carb.

Here's my Dads Bronco I'm trading for:

Nv4500 w/ custom adapters, Np205 twin stick, trussed D44 w/selectable detroit locker, trussed 9" with Nascar Nodular 3rd, spool, 35 spline chromo axles etc.

So this has lead me to change the Black Broncos direction somewhat. It's always been...confused... for lack of better terms, its been a cross between go-fast and trails. But the solid axle really limits the go-fast, and the glass limits how much I want to lean it on trees etc so its not really good at either. Now that i'll have another Bronco that is capable of hitting trails and enjoying for more 4x4 oriented stuff, its time I make the Black Bronco more of an all-out go fast Bronco.

SO... my big plan is this... take the 1-tons out from under the Black Bronco and put them under the new one. Then take the 9" from under the new Bronco and toss it in the Black one, and go to TTB up front. The TTB wont ever handle serious abuse with 39-40" tires and 700+hp but it will be nice to have as insurance if ever needed. Also, I feel TTB is the most bang for the buck and would be less expensive than converting to 2wd beams etc. My biggest dilemma with this plan is bolt pattern, I feel I should probably run the D50 outers etc for the added strength needed running 40's. There's a lot of $$$ in the 9" so I would prefer to use it instead of swapping to a 1-ton rear end, not to mention the weight advantage. so there's so puzzles to be solved at some point.
RyanDS650X
Bronco Info: Autofab '96 XLT 5.8

Post by RyanDS650X »

Weight on the 9" vs a 1 ton with disc breaks is about break even.
I'm glad you are going TTB can't wait to see that big stroker beating up some whoops!
'96 XLT 5.8l lil edelbrock, lil Autofab, LOTTA fun.

"I wouldnt even call adding beer as part of a prep...its like putting tires on the vehicle, you just do it."
-shockseals.com
t.r.c

Post by t.r.c »

True, however there would still be the bolt pattern dilemma since the Sterling 10.5 I have is 8x170mm not 8x6.5. I think I'll run the 9", if needed down the road I can upgrade the ring and pinion/full floater/40 splines etc.

I got the motor torn down, and I'm glad I did... 4 pistons/rods were in 180 degrees off, whoever assembled it got lucky the valves didn't tag the pistons. Got everything reassembled and stuffed the motor in the truck finally. Also got the D44 up front trussed up and mounted. Now I’m waiting until April to get it down to Idaho.

For those that follow me on Instagram (Bent_bronco) you know I've changed my mind 5-6 times on going I-Beams or TTB, I've finally come full circle back to TTB. I'm working on getting a cross-member out of a donor rig, my neighbor has an 86' I may be able to sacrifice for the greater good...If I spend money on TTB I can’t change my mind right? haha.

I’ve been shopping around a little bit, it looks like Solo has a pretty good package deal on beams/shafts, I’m looking at going 4.5” wider with plate work and their radius arms. But I’m open to other companies too, Giant has some cool stuff close to the same price point. I know all the big-name guys are equal in quality so there isn’t really a “wrong choice”.
There will be a couple things to decide on, like steering. The steering box is mounted on the outboard side of the frame. Thus, I’m guessing the pitman arm won’t line up properly in relation to the Beam/RA pivots. So I’m thinking it will require Dual Swing setup. But that will be decided when I get a little further I suppose. I’ve been trying to read up, since this is a new subject for me and I don’t go into big projects blind when avoidable. So, any input is appreciated, I’m one of probably 5-6 prerunners within 200 miles out here so I’m 100% reliant on the interwebz for experience. I’ve gotten shamed by some of the locals for tossing around the idea of going from 1-tons to TTB… haha!
As far as coilovers, from what I’ve read the consensus is that a single coilover is adequate up front. Would the cost of 3.0 C/O’s be worth it? I know coil’s are much more expensive for them compared to 2.5’s. Or would I be better off with a set of 2.5 C/O’s and adding Bypasses or putting the money somewhere else (rear Bypasses/bumps etc.).

Here’s some pictures of what I’ve been up to

A couple videos of the Black Bronco (if they work...)

Playing in the snow a bit... didn't mean to dust the neighbors car with powder...oops

Bronco Info: 1979 Class 3 Race Bronco. Built in 2000.

Post by 300 »

Boy, that truss and fixture look VERY familiar! We also tie the top together after having a rock pop the center of the housing and shatter the casting. It also keeps the tubes from compressing further into the center housing. Can't remember where the pictures of one of ours in the fixture is, and can't quite see it in this video: http://www.class3racing.com/showthread.php?t=1544

If you're going to switch to TTB, you might consider swapping the entire later frame under it. Takes care of the where to put the steering box and you end up with a steering box that is much easier to get sector shafts for.
t.r.c

Post by t.r.c »

300 wrote:Boy, that truss and fixture look VERY familiar! We also tie the top together after having a rock pop the center of the housing and shatter the casting. It also keeps the tubes from compressing further into the center housing. Can't remember where the pictures of one of ours in the fixture is, and can't quite see it in this video: http://www.class3racing.com/showthread.php?t=1544

If you're going to switch to TTB, you might consider swapping the entire later frame under it. Takes care of the where to put the steering box and you end up with a steering box that is much easier to get sector shafts for.
Interesting, I’ll have to dig around to find some pictures of how you tied the top of yours in. Although, this front end won’t see as much abuse! Your front end played a big part in the design of ours, figured if it survives under your rig it'll be overkill under ours!

The thought of swapping frames has crossed my mind. But after talking to another guy who recently went TTB on his 79' I think I’ll stick with mine. Evidently the steering works out well with the box outside the frame. I plan on going to a hydro assist down the road to try and take some of the stress off the sector shaft.
t.r.c

Post by t.r.c »

Minor update...

Tore the engine/front suspension out. Got a donor Bronco and took the beams/crossmember out. Also grabbed a D50 with the bolt in style shaft from Shawn T on here (thanks again! Was nice meeting you). I've been talking with Cho, and am going to be running his new fully-fabbed 4.5" beams. Also got some RCV shafts from Cho. Sounds like it may be a little while before the beams are ready, so I plan on starting in on the Cage in the meantime.

The donor crossmember is much wider than the 78/79 frame, since the 78/79's are boxed in that section. So I narrowed up the crossmember. Looks like the holes in the boxed section of the frame will end up right where the crossmember meets up to it, so I plan on plating the frame so get as much surface area to weld to as possible. I picked up some AutoFab pivot mounts, and engine mounts while I had it all apart. I'll have to modify the engine mounts a bit when the time comes, the new crossmember takes up a bit of their real estate.

While I was cleaning up the frame, I found a ton of cracks where the steering box mounts to the frame. So, I stop-drilled/ground/welded the cracks up. Then added some 3/16" plate to stiffen the frame up a bit. Hydraulic assist steering should take a lot of the load off the steering box down the road anyways.