Nighthawk!

birdco85
Bronco Info: 95 5.8 MAF E4OD

Nighthawk!

Post by birdco85 »

Well Currie made right after a few phone calls. Got the axles back today with the 9/16" studs pressed in already. Now I have matching studs front and rear. Here's some 35 spline goodness. ImageImageand here's my Yukon nodular 3rd, grizzly locker and 4.86 gears. ImageImageImage

Also picked up a bolt in 3rd for the front and need to get it geared. Probably go to trac lok since they're fairly affordable and I probably won't be in 4 wheel drive much.
birdco85

Nighthawk!

Post by birdco85 »

Well the curries were wrong again. They put retainers on for a Wilwood setup. So the bearings fully seated there was still 1/4" gap even with the backing plate from the drums cut and used as spacers. So I called and they are going to send me retainers for a drum setup but I now have to notch them so they slip over the axle instead of having a full circle retainer. At least all the mess ups haven't cost me anything.

And made some progress on the axle, got the truss welded on, just need to make end plates, and surprisingly no warpage. One axle actually slides in better than before the truss and the other slides in with about 1/16" to full seat. Pretty stoked about that. I did one inch at a time, took FOREVER! Also makes the welds look not the greatest but it will work great, with some powder coat you won't be able to tell. ImageImage

And then I got a call from my wife, she got in an accident with my truck, everyone was OK. It was pretty mild for my truck but the sorento was pretty jacked. ImageImage

So does anyone have a bumper, rock guard, drivers fender, all three headlights, and more than likely a core support? Lol
Mojo
Bronco Info: 96eb 5.8, custom SS exh, C&T/uniball, Heim R-arms, 35"bajas 4.88s F53 w/SOLO shackle PRPs

Re: Nighthawk!

Post by Mojo »

I have the lights, pretty sure all three!!! I'm in Hemet. They're yours, just gotta pick up!

Matt
birdco85

Nighthawk!

Post by birdco85 »

Well got a little more done on the rear axle, got the caliper mounts and truss end plates glued on. Also did some work to the rear tire carrier to allow me to mount one of those tuffy storage drawers (thanks Bray!), came out pretty nice. I'm going to make a floor to mount to the top of the drawer to bear any weight so it doesn't mess up the drawer. ImageImageImageImage
cwrisley
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco..........

Post by cwrisley »

Looks bitchin!
birdco85

Nighthawk!

Post by birdco85 »

So cwrisley came by yesterday and wire wheeled the axle for me and got it painted. We threw it under the truck and got her all hooked up. I did a bunch of warm up cycles while it was on Jack stands since I needed to bleed brakes and everything else. Overall it's much nicer to drive other than needing to program the speedo. The locker makes it drive completely different. I can see that being really fun and dangerous at the same time. Overall I lost about an inch of height in the rear by losing the factory wedges. Which means I have even less up travel now. Wish I had a little bit shorter of a shock. ImageImageImage
birdco85

Nighthawk!

Post by birdco85 »

I've seen the calibration process for the speedo but that's for when the vss is still on the axle. Does anyone have a link to the math needed for when it's on the Tcase? When I'm going 55 according to GPS, my speedo thinks I'm going 67 it shifts way too early so I'm not getting as much out of the gears as id like.
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Nighthawk!

Post by cs_drums »

I have the same issue. A member on here is gonna help me sort it out. It's a bit of guess and check but he has done several now so he is a good guesser. I'll take some pics and do a write up.
dtbback
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig

Post by dtbback »

If your rear shocks ever need to be revalved that will be the perfect opportunity to have the bottom rod end changed to a welded loop rod end. I had DC shock services do it on the shocks plan to use in the rear. Kurt said this shortened my collapsed length 1.25- 1.5" on my FOAs. Also relocating your lower mounts will help too.
birdco85

Nighthawk!

Post by birdco85 »

Will I actually need shorter bodies. I have the bumps dropped down an inch. I'm thinking I should've done a 10.

And CS I have a trip planned next weekend. I need to calibrate this thing pretty soon. On the street is fine but I want everything that's there off road
dtbback
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig

Post by dtbback »

Oh! I wonder if King does a welded top bypass like bilstein used to do?
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Nighthawk!

Post by cs_drums »

Solid Shock! Check it out. Bronco specific 3.25 15" travel bypass under the bed! $2300 with bolt in mount.

RyanDS650X
Bronco Info: Autofab '96 XLT 5.8

Post by RyanDS650X »

Me gusta!
dtbback

Post by dtbback »

Maybe some raptor rear shocks modified for remote resi for more fluid volume? They are 11" travel shocks.
birdco85

Nighthawk!

Post by birdco85 »

That might work. Actually now that I think about it will, the weld bottoms might work. I don't need to rebuild them yet but that might work well. Did down south tell you how much they charge? These shocks have seen better days so I know when I sell them I'm not going I get much for them.
birdco85

Nighthawk!

Post by birdco85 »

But my biggest concern right now is the math for the speedo. Anyone that has converted to a 9" remember the math they used?
dtbback

Post by dtbback »

I had all the work on my FOAs done by Kurt at DC Shock services in San Dimas. They came out great. I'm pretty sure Mirage or Downsouth can do the work for you. Also, if your going to drop the coin a rebuild and welded rod ends you might as well get the bodies completely refinished. I think it will be money well invested when if you wver decide to sell them.
Deslboy
Bronco Info: 1993 XLT 351. Currently being built. Solo c&t beams, solo radius arms, solo shock hoops

Post by Deslboy »

I have a set of Raptor shocks for sale in the classifieds. DC shocks just serviced them and put the upgraded reservoir caps on with the schrader valves
birdco85

Nighthawk!

Post by birdco85 »

So here is what I got for the conversion constant. The conversation constant for a 35 BFG is 8.09.

But that's for 599 revs per mile, and 102 pulses per rotation. So 102 x 599 is 61,098 pulses per mile.

So the vss kit has 28 pulses per driveshaft rotation. So at 599 revs per mile x 4.86 (my gear ratio) x 28 is 81,847 pulses per mile.

So I'm taking the conversion constant I need is 8.09. So I'm taking 8.09 x 81,847 then dividing by 61,098 which equals 10.83.

So I'm thinking my conversion constant is going to be 10.83, which I feel is awfully close to the 11 Max. Does that sound right?
birdco85

Nighthawk!

Post by birdco85 »

Actually 10.79