Nighthawk!

birdco85
Bronco Info: 95 5.8 MAF E4OD

Nighthawk!

Post by birdco85 »

Hey guys any issues with buying a NASCAR used, lightened, Detroit locker? Description says used for 411 miles. It uses the big bearings also so I'd have to get a new case. It's 31 spline so I can keep my axles for now and not spend $500 on a 35 spline carrier and another $600 on 35 spline axles. It's at $180 right now and 50 shipping.
dtbback
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig

Re: Nighthawk!

Post by dtbback »

I apoke to a guy who sells these on ebay. He said the only difference between those and the non-race lockers are that they dont ise the silencing shims. According to him this makes them louder than the non-race but not vy much he said.
De$ertBronco
Bronco Info: currently under the knife @ RICHER RACING!

Post by De$ertBronco »

I talked to a guy from Eaton when I was looking at them and he said they are designed for vehicles almost always turning left and that the tension springs are set up for that. Sounded like it would have funny engagements on a daily driver. I went with a yukon grizzly locker instead. Quiter/smoother than any Detroit I had... pretty stoked on it. Hit up Braydon at Quick Performance (staticz2229 on ebay) he has great prices and customer service. I hit him up and he always works me a package deal with free freight and such. I get wholesale prices from yukon/randy's ring and pinion, and braydon quoted me $350 for a durable grip which is $50 under my cost from them.
De$ertBronco
Bronco Info: currently under the knife @ RICHER RACING!

Post by De$ertBronco »

Dura Grip* stupid phone corrective text
birdco85

Nighthawk!

Post by birdco85 »

I saw him on eBay. I'm watching a nodular Yukon third with 3.25 bearings, aluminum Daytona pinion support, bolts, studs and bearings, for 375. Seems like a steal. He has some good deals.

Good info on the grizzly. Torn between a locker and the true trac.
birdco85

Nighthawk!

Post by birdco85 »

Had a fun little outing with the family today. Put the bronco Bronco's articulation to the test. Kids loved it, dog loved it and the wife. I thought the back window was going to pop from twisting it out, it made a ton of noise. Anywho, no issues and a great time. A couple poser shots for your viewing pleasure.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
And then we stopped and got the kids Slurpee's afterImageImage
PaleRider
Bronco Info: 1994 Bronco with aftermarket lift, BroncoAir bumpers

Nighthawk!

Post by PaleRider »

Nice! My ride has seen more driveway miles than dirt.
yikes
Founder
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff

Post by yikes »

Cute kids! Love the look on the little guys face.
birdco85

Nighthawk!

Post by birdco85 »

Thanks guys!

Any suggestions on either Yukon or Strange? I'm going to go 35 spline do therr 3.250 case is a necessity. Strange has 2 different ones with a little more than $100 difference. I'm leaning towards the grizzly locker. I hear that Yukon is made in China or India though,but assembled in USA. What's everyone's recommendation?!
birdco85

Nighthawk!

Post by birdco85 »

Any suggestions on where to get the front regeared down here in the Whales Vagina (San Diego)? Got a bolt in 3rd (thanks Travis! ) and would like it ready to go when I start working on the rear. I've called San Diego gear and axle and MIT. Both are a bit over $500 just for a regear and new bearings. Thinking about putting a stock trac lock in the front too for some limited slip action. Was thinking a lunchbox locker but I'm worried about the center ujoint. Thoughts?
hollandermotorsports
Bronco Info: 1990 Bronco lifted, 1995 Centurian F-150 with body lift delete

Post by hollandermotorsports »

I have a guy and will be getting mine done as well. I believe my cost is $100 plus parts.
birdco85

Nighthawk!

Post by birdco85 »

Juanco? I heard he's hard to get a hold of.
hollandermotorsports
Bronco Info: 1990 Bronco lifted, 1995 Centurian F-150 with body lift delete

Post by hollandermotorsports »

He has been taking care of my stuff pretty quickly lately.
birdco85

Nighthawk!

Post by birdco85 »

Well let's do this! I'm thinking just a track lock up front.
birdco85

Nighthawk!

Post by birdco85 »

Does anyone know what fitting the rear brake splitter accepts? I have the crown performance line and I'm converting everything on the axle to -3an so I need to know what adapter I need to convert the splitter to -3. I'm not ready to do the rest of the rig yet otherwise I'd just get a tee fitting thats -3. Is the fitting the standard 3/8-24 inverted flare or is it a bubble flare. Thanks guys.
birdco85

Post by birdco85 »

I called Crown and they said one side is 3/8-24 and the other is 7/16-24. That sucks I need to buy one of each but no one offers only one, all come in packages of 2.
RyanDS650X
Bronco Info: Autofab '96 XLT 5.8

Post by RyanDS650X »

Just means you'll have spares...throw em in the tool bag.
VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Post by VintageIronFab »

Just do a T fitting and a set of tube nuts/sleeves. I'm not sure why more guys don't ditch inverted flare stuff.
birdco85

Post by birdco85 »

I'd love to ditch all the IF stuff but I simply don't have the time, money or location to have the Bronco down for a while. I'm between houses and am building the 9 in my dads side yard, he wouldn't be too happy if took the driveway from him for a few days. It's the end of the world if he has to park in the street. I'm going to get the rear end all setup outside of the truck so in one day I can pull the 8.8, put the 9 under, set the pinion angle and burn the perches in. I'm only doing the adapters for now, and when I do get a new house I can have to Bronco down for a couple days to make all new lines. I also need to get rid of the ABS motor. All the wiring for it is gone but the motor is still inline.

And good idea on the spares Ryan, I'll get some caps and plugs also so if I lose a line I can plug it and have 3 wheel brakes.
birdco85

Nighthawk!

Post by birdco85 »

So I've told a couple people so far and RMC offered to help me out, but do you guys think when you order brand new axles from Currie that they should be able to drill your Lug holes to whatever size requested. I asked them to and they said no problem. Also said no studs so please remove those from the cost also. They said no problem.

Well I received the axles and they have 1/2" studs pressed in with the incorrect hole size. I needed 39/64 and they did 19/32. I called them and the salesman I originally spoke with said that's the biggest size they offer which I find odd. I know that's only 1/64" difference but the hole is the minor diameter of the lugs I want to use. So I need to drill 1/64 bigger.

RMC offered and I will take him up if no one is closer that can help. I called autofab and he quoted me 3 hours labor to drill them, at a whopping 85/hr that would be $255 to drill 10 holes a hair bigger. I'm all for autofab but that seems a bit ridiculous. I'm not having any luck down here so any help would be appreciated. I would do it myself but I know I'll screw it up.