Jim & Paige's Bronco

1Hondalover
Bronco Info: Having so much fun with friends in Baja, we're not sure if we want to race NORRA.....

Re: Jim & Paige's Bronco

Post by 1Hondalover »

Pissed......really. But great friends and chase support so we're having said refrescos while Jim & Paige's toy is loaded up. And we hitch a ride in Jeff's Bronco the rest of the way to Cabo.

These are some great people. Absolutely not going to let us go north while the rest of the crew continues south.

So we console ourselves.
2016 feel better.jpg
2016 feel better.jpg (78.19 KiB) Viewed 3215 times
Andy Jones
Bronco Info: In the Works!

Post by Andy Jones »

Rad! Sucks about the bronco. Seems like a fun trip nonetheless!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dont PM me.. I don't get them on Taptalk
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

Bummer Jim. So sorry to hear but that sounds like an excuse to throw a stroker in that beast!
1Hondalover
Bronco Info: Having so much fun with friends in Baja, we're not sure if we want to race NORRA.....

Post by 1Hondalover »

Very astute Tony. Off it goes.....
IMG_1464 (Large).JPG
IMG_1464 (Large).JPG (458.32 KiB) Viewed 3176 times
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

Bwaaaahahahahha
1Hondalover

Post by 1Hondalover »

I'm told these are a few of the pieces going to be used on the new power plant:

AFR SBF 205.JPG
AFR SBF 205.JPG (46.47 KiB) Viewed 3172 times
Holley Hi-Ram.jpg
Holley Hi-Ram.jpg (322.4 KiB) Viewed 3172 times
1Hondalover

Post by 1Hondalover »

Unfortunately the budget isn't going to permit custom headers, so I searched for the best "catalogued" ones I could find to stay in the frame rails.

Super nice guy this Stan.....been making headers a long time and mostly Tri-Y for torque. Exactly what I'm after. 14 gauge tubing and thick flanges yes!

They're making them with the 3" bolt pattern to match the AFR heads, and welding only on the outside so I can port the width a few thou to better match the heads.

Then black ceramic coating inside and out. The chrome they show is just for pictures.....standard is raw.
Stan's 251Y.jpg
Stan's 251Y.jpg (54.05 KiB) Viewed 3172 times
VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Post by VintageIronFab »

why going away from the factory injection? I fully realize the reason to ditch the truck style intake whether it be Ford or Edelbrock.
http://www.vintageironfabworks.com

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
1Hondalover

Post by 1Hondalover »

Dunno Matt. For once I'm putting quite a bit of faith in someone to "take care of it". I do have a bit heavier duty Dart based 427 torque monster hard spec from PRI, but likely $30K sitting on the stand so we're going to try this version first.

My instructions fairly simple:

1) No less than 600 lbs/ft. at lowest RPM possible.
2) Never run 4,500 RPM or above in any case.
3) Must run without issue on Pemex low test if necessary using on the fly "de-tune" when 91 or better not available.

Our builder/tuner is responsible for building, installing, dyno tuning, certified turn key.

I do know a 105mm Holley TB will be used on the Hi-Ram. Again.....faith.
VintageIronFab

Post by VintageIronFab »

I don’t know - I just can’t see ever going from 96 obs2 electronics to put aftermarket electronics and a trans controller on. Now if they don’t mind adapting the factory electronics to the Holley intake that would be cool. Are you keeping the E4OD?

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
Andy Jones
Bronco Info: In the Works!

Post by Andy Jones »

VintageIronFab wrote:I don’t know - I just can’t see ever going from 96 obs2 electronics to put aftermarket electronics and a trans controller on. Now if they don’t mind adapting the factory electronics to the Holley intake that would be cool. Are you keeping the E4OD?
I would think for more simplicity. That’s why I’m doing mine the way I am. Especially in an Offroad vehicle. My tuner 100% hates the ford electronics. and he’s a major Ford guy.. my motor is being built to his specs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dont PM me.. I don't get them on Taptalk
Quailhunter
Bronco Info: 74 F100 Stepside 408 sbf complete Autofab truck 74 F-250 Supercab Shortbed

Post by Quailhunter »

If I may ask (I Must) who will build subject engine?
1Hondalover

Post by 1Hondalover »

OBDII yes and E4OD yes. Separate transmission controller never. A few pages back John Wood already set us up with an E4OD capable of any engine. It will continue to operate as Ford intended, with a bit more twist behind it. Remember we threw the Winters shifter in the trash and reinstalled the OE column shifter. The game is put it in Drive and go. Prerunning and other fun. Not a screaming engine. Relaxed all day before margaritas at the end of it.

So our Builder Ray at FTK has built and tuned most everything. https://fullthrottlekustomz.com/ And funny they're for sure more street-oriented, but off road for fun. They entirely get our Bronco and my charge of torque and Pemex.

Fords. I do love them.
VintageIronFab

Post by VintageIronFab »

To Andy’s point- so Jim is building what sounds like a pretty stout engine and running the ford electronics. My contention is people sometimes don’t like things but millions upon millions of miles say otherwise. My 96 is a 220k, Yikes has that topped and Andy yours included- all on late model injection. I just don’t remotely trust aftermarket proprietary designed electronics- for sure not at Holley level. Being that I personally had a Holley system, the us shift and a Holley preferred installer dyno tune it- it still ran shifted and performed terrible. So I personally think the best idea of tune it, run it, tune it again and leave it. No desire to play Street Outlaws and fiddle with the tune all the time. The only thing I would say Jim is doing wrong are the headers. You are building this killer engine - it needs the $3000 headers to go with it. Not cheap but that’s what it honestly needs. Andy yours needs the 4L80 lol!

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
VintageIronFab

Post by VintageIronFab »

To Andy’s point- so Jim is building what sounds like a pretty stout engine and running the ford electronics. My contention is people sometimes don’t like things but millions upon millions of miles say otherwise. My 96 is a 220k, Yikes has that topped and Andy yours included- all on late model injection. I just don’t remotely trust aftermarket proprietary designed electronics- for sure not at Holley level. Being that I personally had a Holley system, the us shift and a Holley preferred installer dyno tune it- it still ran shifted and performed terrible. So I personally think the best idea of tune it, run it, tune it again and leave it. No desire to play Street Outlaws and fiddle with the tune all the time. The only thing I would say Jim is doing wrong are the headers. You are building this killer engine - it needs the $3000 headers to go with it. Not cheap but that’s what it honestly needs. Andy yours needs the 4L80 lol!

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
1Hondalover

Post by 1Hondalover »

"Fiddle with the Tune" is not in my repertoire Matt. A column shifter in OD is. Agreed about the headers.

But it is what it is and fits my plan to A) tune the engine a little short to fit within the limits of budget friendlier exhaust and B) love the engine even more with a proper exhaust that would be in a Stretch.

Big picture.....most everything I'm building and using will be suitable to be plucked from this Bronco and bolt right into a Stretch. Or we decide to move on and sell this animal as it is.

For now the lack of $3K headers gets us back to Baja quicker. Coming from 5.8L it's doubtful we'll miss the few lacking lbs/ft.

Went to see a new-to-us fabricator just a few miles from FTK. Fingers very crossed these guys work out instead of long miles south.

Just feels good to have it out and about rather than sitting abandoned in the barn.

IMG_1695 (Large).JPG
IMG_1695 (Large).JPG (352.43 KiB) Viewed 2879 times
1Hondalover

Post by 1Hondalover »

Well my man Stan welded the headers wrong so they're going back to CHOP, but Jeff Howe came though with enough CFM for a 427.

IMG_1737 (Large).JPG
IMG_1737 (Large).JPG (254.77 KiB) Viewed 2802 times
IMG_1742 (Large).JPG
IMG_1742 (Large).JPG (235.57 KiB) Viewed 2802 times
IMG_1744 (Large).JPG
IMG_1744 (Large).JPG (271.06 KiB) Viewed 2802 times
7-8-20 Advanced by Jeff Howe (Large).jpg
7-8-20 Advanced by Jeff Howe (Large).jpg (516.65 KiB) Viewed 2802 times
1Hondalover

Post by 1Hondalover »

C-R-E-E-P-I-N-G along......looks like KOH 2021 is now off the table with two more stops after this first one.

Crap.
IMG_1642 (Large).jpg
IMG_1642 (Large).jpg (369.55 KiB) Viewed 2274 times
hood 1.jpg
hood 1.jpg (93.29 KiB) Viewed 2274 times
Seat slider 3.jpg
Seat slider 3.jpg (876.81 KiB) Viewed 2274 times
1Hondalover

Post by 1Hondalover »

OK Autofab fenders won't work.....strange. Evan and I agree but John disagrees. No matter they're going to be for sale soon.

Jim & Paige's Bronco is very close to leaving EWR to go get its 427 not far away. Only hinging the Autofab hood remains. Not an easy feat completely after the fact sans OE hinges.

Hood top side.png
Hood top side.png (541.58 KiB) Viewed 2101 times
Hood underside.png
Hood underside.png (639.21 KiB) Viewed 2101 times
jc2.jpg
jc2.jpg (93.09 KiB) Viewed 2101 times
jc1.jpg
jc1.jpg (85.37 KiB) Viewed 2101 times
jc4.jpg
jc4.jpg (89.81 KiB) Viewed 2101 times
jc5.jpg
jc5.jpg (109.57 KiB) Viewed 2101 times
HB2BAJA
Bronco Info: 93 Bronco XLT

Post by HB2BAJA »

Can't wait to see that 427 I want to see how the holley ls style instake works on the block with the distributor