David's little mule

Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Re: David's little mule

Post by Wrightracing.net »

Happy New year everyone.

Well Christmas was good to me. My mom got me a brand new front grille for my 1972 Bronco from Wild Horse. It is all clean and new.

Now I have to cut it up, ImageImage, but that is a bitter sweet thing. In the end it will look really cool. Fortunately I already know what it will look like because I'm going off what Glenn and Chris Wilson did on their Bronco. I also just got in the mail today the light buckets to run the peterbilt five and three quarter light housings. I was lucky to find on eBay a pair of New old stock peterbilts metal headlight basils to go over those headlight buckets, instead of the cheap plastic ones you find on eBay all the time.

This is a little different than what Chris Wilson did on his Bronco where he ran off-road lights behind the grill, where I am actually running Dot light housings, so law enforcement can't go in after me for any issues there. I have been trying to keep everything Dot so if a law enforcement officer scrutinizes anything it will pass mustard. I don't want to give them any reason to give me a ticket.

With the shutdown I still have not gotten a chance to get all of my paperwork done with the CHP on the 1972 Bronco and get it titled in California in my name. I don't want to cut anything up until then, so I'm stalled on that right now until things open up again. But that's okay, it gives me time to get all my ducks in a row and get my act together.

Another update I got a couple weeks ago was that I will be doing fiberglass bed sides from the doors back. I am so stoked about this because it takes the guesswork out and saves me a bunch of time in metal work. I could not have done this without the help of my friend Glen Straightiff at Adgile Off Road and Chris Wilson. They have made my dream Bronco a possibility, I just need to get my butt in gear.

I will post more updates as they come, hopefully I will be able to start cutting things up soon ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Another delivery this week was a set of Dennis Carpenter front fenders for the 1972 body.

On the front fenders Glen did on Chris Wilson's Bronco, he stretched them a few inches and I may still do that also. We will see. I am going to lay them out and see if I like it better.

I am going to get the 1986 Bronco moved back to my house after being stored at my mother's house in Imperial Beach where the Sheriff's don't try to impound it for not having the fenders on it, even though it was in my Driveway with a carcover in San Diego the Police parking enforcement try to claim it was dismantled and abandoned because I took my Autofab front and rear fiberglass fenders off, because I did not want them to get ruined sitting outside all the time. So that's why the Bronco was on my trailer at my mom's house in her driveway, Imperial Beach leaves the Bronco alone.

So then I can put the 72 Bronco on the trailer and take it to the CHP to get the VIN verification done and get it titled in my name here in California. Then finally you can start cutting it up and sell off the parts I don't need to keep like the original axles and c4 transmission and original transfer case from the 1972 Bronco.

The last front body part I need to order is a hood and just like everything else I have to cut that up also to make it wider 6 and 1/2 in wider on two sides of the center section. I have to do the same thing on the front grill, I keep going through my head thinking, how does it feel to cut up a perfectly good and brand new body part for the Bronco,

Once I can start showing fabrication work I'll post some pictures. Or the cool thing will be when I start cutting off the 1986 cab and firewall. My plan is to leave the floor from behind the seats to the back of the Bronco on the 86 and do a custom floor underneath the seats then use stock 1972 floors with some custom side pieces to widen the floors inside the front of the 72 floors. The goal is to make the front look as stock as possible. I am going to use the firewall from the 1972 Bronco with some modifications to it like the fresh air system will be all sealed up and the heater system will be all sealed up. I've seen some cool modifications to that area to make it so you can put a vintage Air ac, heating and defrost system in there and add removable access panels where the top vents were in the hood. the new hood I'm going to get is the one that does not have the vents in it.

More updates to come soon.

David Wright

Wrightracing.net

Another Part picked up. I got a new hood for the 1972 Bronco. I got one of the Dynacorn Reproduction hoods without vents to make it easier to widen each side by 6 1/2 inches making it a total of 13 inches wider.

I got the hood for $319 and was lucky to get it from a guy working out of his house.

Muscle Car's R Us
Is run by Rusty the Owner
He is a great guy and is located in Anaheim, California. He can get Bronco Part's at a great price. And if you are close to Anaheim, California, you can save on shipping. That was great on the big hood. Saved me $179.

His contact info is
714-904-8067
russwalkera@aol.com

David Wright

Wrightracing.net

Well, my back has a severely Herniated disk and I can't work or do much of anything, it is the pits, so what to do, surf the interwebs for part's for my 72 project.

I picked up a set of power adjustable gas and brake pedals from a 2010 F350 and a hydro boost and master cylinder from the same truck.

I also picked up a second dash for cheap, so I can widen the day 13" for the 86 chassis.

I hope to find a cheap hard top to widen and stretch the hard top.

I can't wait to test fit the 1972 F100 tailgate I got, to see if it fits the wider Bronco body. So that way I don't have to fabricate a custom tailgate. Although, I do have two early Bronco tailgate's already. If I can use the F100 tailgate, then I am going to make two benches for the backyard fire pit

That is all for now.

David Wright

Wrightracing.net

Wrightracing.net wrote:Well, my back has a severely Herniated disk and I can't work or do much of anything, it is the pits, so what to do, surf the interwebs for part's for my 72 project.

I picked up a set of power adjustable gas and brake pedals from a 2010 F350 and a hydro boost and master cylinder from the same truck.

I also picked up a second dash for cheap, so I can widen the dash 13" for the 86 chassis.

I hope to find a cheap hard top to widen and stretch the hard top.

I can't wait to test fit the 1972 F100 tailgate I got, to see if it fits the wider Bronco body. So that way I don't have to fabricate a custom tailgate. Although, I do have two early Bronco tailgate's already. If I can use the F100 tailgate, then I am going to make two benches for the backyard fire pit Image

That is all for now.

David Wright

David Wright

Wrightracing.net

Well, I just purchased the quarter Panels. So, I almost have almost replaced every, panel that came on the 72 Bronco. At this point I basically paid $2,700 for a Bronco VIN number plate Image🛻Image

David Wright

ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

And sadly enough $2,700 seems to be a steal at current prices :shock:

I doubt you'd be able to get what you did for the same price still
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
Wrightracing.net

ChaseTruck754 wrote:And sadly enough $2,700 seems to be a steal at current prices :shock:

I had been looking for a couple years and found it online in Pennsylvania a year and a half ago. It cost $2k to have it shipped to San Diego right to my driveway.

At the time I was ready to spend five or $6,000 on the Bronco in this bad condition, so when I saw this come across I jumped on it right away and got lucky. So total I paid $4,700 and that was still better than anything in CALIFORNIA.

Now I just have to get it titled in California in my name and I can start chopping it up. Right now the problem is I have a slip disc in my back so all construction and moving things around are kind of squashed at this point. I have to play musical chairs with the broncos and put the 86 Bronco in the garage at home and put the 72 on the trailer to take it to get verified for it's VIN.

Then cutting will commence ImageImageImage

# full-size Early Bronco PEPE ImageImageImage

David Wright

ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

I remembered you have to pay to ship that in and was factoring the $2k in my comment. You still did well on the thing as crazy as it seems price wise. The broncos are just stupid right now. As are 70's trucks. Things I used to score for under $1k are now well over $5k. It's insane. I just wish I woulda grabbed an EB a little earlier on. It's a bit harsh to get in the game with one now especially because all I really want is the title and maybe the tub if it's not rotted all to heck. I'd love to throw the body on an 80-96 bronco (leave the body stock width & let the tire stick out), but honestly the stock proportions fit better to the 90-94 2 door exploders so that's what I'd be looking at.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
Wrightracing.net

I am fortunate to have a template to work off of since I am copying Chris Wilson's Bronco. Also I am friends with Glen Straightiff, who did most of the fab work on it, so I can call him when needed.

David Wright

robertcrav
Let me google that for you
Bronco Info: Lana - Stock width c/t coil-overs/bypasses -- Sylvia - Stock width 4" Rancho kit on Billies

Post by robertcrav »

Wrightracing.net wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:16 am
ChaseTruck754 wrote:And sadly enough $2,700 seems to be a steal at current prices :shock:

I had been looking for a couple years and found it online in Pennsylvania a year and a half ago. It cost $2k to have it shipped to San Diego right to my driveway.

At the time I was ready to spend five or $6,000 on the Bronco in this bad condition, so when I saw this come across I jumped on it right away and got lucky. So total I paid $4,700 and that was still better than anything in CALIFORNIA.

Now I just have to get it titled in California in my name and I can start chopping it up. Right now the problem is I have a slip disc in my back so all construction and moving things around are kind of squashed at this point. I have to play musical chairs with the broncos and put the 86 Bronco in the garage at home and put the 72 on the trailer to take it to get verified for it's VIN.

David Wright
Hey David...sorry to hear about your back, getting caught back up over here. That being said, I know there are services that will come to you to VIN verify vehicles, you don't have to drag it down to the DMV
Wrightracing.net

robertcrav wrote:
Wrightracing.net wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:16 am

David Wright
Hey David...sorry to hear about your back, getting caught back up over here. That being said, I know there are services that will come to you to VIN verify vehicles, you don't have to drag it down to the DMV
Thanks for the info Robert, I will look into that. Image

David Wright

Wrightracing.net

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Physical work on the Bronco is at a hold, due to my back issues, but a ordered a Holley Terminator X MPFI system and a Holley dual sync distributor. The cool part is, I can use them on a stock 351w until I get the 427w built. Right now it is about getting parts that will get the Bronco going faster and will support future upgrades without having to replace them.

In the new year, I want to practice my tig welding, so I can tig as much as possible on my axle housings. I plan to have a friend cut out all the parts on his cnc plasma table. I have the G-code to build a fabricated ford 9". I am going to build a Full Floater 6" wider with 3.5" tubes. If I can afford it, I want to build it out of 4130 Chromoly.

I want to do a fully fabricated dana 50 housing with the same geometry and mounting as a dana 44. Also, I want to use 4130 Chromoly on the front.

So being more experienced on my Tig welder before I do the axles would be nice.

I want to find a dana 50 3rd member with a retainer plate on the passenger side axle. I know I want to run a Eaton mechanical Limited slip up front or maybe a 35 spline Yukon electric Race locker.

When I get to that point with the dana 50, I will sell my dana 44 1982 third member with the Eaton LS I already have.

I also want to upgrade my rear axles to 35 spline axles with a race version of Yukon's Grizzly Locker or I may go with a Detroit Locker again. I have had really good luck with the one in my Bronco for the last 20 years.

I have also started looking at Dart Blocks and AFR 220cc Renegade heads for my 427w project. I want to keep the Bronco under 600hp to keep everything reliable in the drive train. I may go higher hp once everything down stream from the motor has been beefed up to handle the higher power.

My progress is slow, but it is progress.

Have a great year guys.

David

toddz69

Post by toddz69 »

Merry Christmas and Happy New year David! What are your plans for the stock parts on that chassis since it sounds like you're going to be replacing nearly everything?

Thanks,
Todd Z.
Wrightracing.net

I am not sure yet. I have a 302 in it now, but have the 351w to go in it. The plan right now is to get the Bronco going with what parts I have and upgrade bit by bit. I want to drive it, so its not stuck in the garage. Getting a running motor is half the battle, even if it is just a 351w. Atleast the Holley terminator x stuff can still be used on a 427w when I get there. I don't want to spend any more money on stuff that is unusable for my final goal. I am going to sell my AutoFab fiberglass fenders and bedsides when I can clean out the Garage along with the 86 and 89 doors I have. Need to get everything from the 86 body and fiberglass top and put it up for sale. I just can't move them around while my back is bad. Eventually much of the 86 stuff on the body will go. I have most of my new 72 body parts to fit up to the 86 chassis. When I fit them up, I have to make the whole 72 body 13in wider and stretch the rear by 12in or so. I am keeping the 86 floor in the bed and doing a hybrid version like Chris Wilson did on his Early Bronco. Eventually a top will get widened and stretched, so it will have a removable hard top. I do plan to modify the 86 windshield wiper system to use on the 72, so I don't have to deal with the stock 72 wiper motor on the inside top of the windshield.

It is a project, but it will be worth it to drive down the road in the next couple year's 😭.