The Beast

Hauls Assington
Bronco Info: Under Construction

Re: The Beast

Post by Hauls Assington »

Alright!! Got the motor all puumbed, wired, and fluided. Cross your fingers, I am going to fire this puppy up. I hope it runs, so I can finish the engine cage!!
Hauls Assington

Fired that bad boy up today!

Sounds like a stock car, with open headers!!

Now that I know the engine is happy, it is time to wire everything up properly. Finish the engine cage, and complete my build.
dtbback
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig

Post by dtbback »

Nice!! Waiting for pics!!
cypher
Bronco Info: 1994 Ford Bronco w/ Southwest Performance suspension

Post by cypher »

Sound clip?
Hauls Assington

I'll get one soon, I don't have it wired up right yet, and I was just making sure the motor and tranny were happy, so that I can finish the build knowing I won't have to pull the engine any time soon.

It is a 408w stroker but 060 over, so its a 414w. It has world products windsor Sr. heads, and a fairly mild cam. Holley 750.

It is extremely loud! I just have long tube headers, and no exhaust on right now, but I will get a sound clip before I put a muffler on it.
dtbback
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig

Post by dtbback »

What are the humber on the motor?
Hauls Assington

430 hp/500+ tq
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

That is the HP range I am shooting for with my 408 stroker in the Bronco. I am running 395Hp around 500 tq in the f350 with 35" tires and it weighs 7100 lbs. And so es well in the dunes and hard pack. So 430 hp in the Bronco at 5000 lbs would be a great weight to power ratio.
Hauls Assington

I am worried about my 8.8 not living very long with this motor. In fact I may put a smaller carb on it to try and make it a little easier on things, but, I don't think a smaller carb will really reduce the touque that much. However I will be running 33's for a good while, so that might buy me some wiggle room.

I am going to start putting together a trussed 9er for the fateful day of doom for the 8.8.
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Ya, I went to a 9" on my Bronco a while back. I went with a Trusses Currie 9+ rear end. I wish now I would have gone with a Full floater. I am going to retrofit my axle with Dana 60 full floater snouts and run 5 on 5.5 conversion hubs. The nice thing is it will widen the axle to match my front width.
dtbback

Post by dtbback »

How wide does that make your axle?
Wrightracing.net

It can make it wider + 5.5" per side or you can cut the tubes for less width if you prefer. Mine is 64" now but I am keeping mine at +3 per side making my axle 70" wide.
dtbback

Post by dtbback »

Do you know how wide you can go before glass is needed if your running the aluminum stockers?
Wrightracing.net

Not sure, I did AutoFab fenders and Bedsides 3" up 3" out, Already to clear the 35" tires with only 4in lift over stock height. I should have food to go 3" per side front and rear. I am going for more of a squatter lower center of gravity setup.
Wrightracing.net

Food = room. typo
Hauls Assington

Seats and harnesses are ordered!!
Hauls Assington

Got some racing seats, winters shifter, and harnesses, going to be bending some a-pillars tonight.
Hauls Assington

Hauls Assington

A-pillars are bent, holes are drilled through the floor, she aint stock anymore, lol.

Also, my dashboard is looking great, I decided this bronco with never be air conditioned, or heated again lol. TROPHY TRUCK!
Hauls Assington

I am in the beginning of the engine cage/cab cage portion of my build. My good friend was kind enough to lend me a real tubing bender, so this is going to be a kink free cage!

I have the a-pillars bent, and almost fitted properly.

Looks like I'm going to need about 3 weeks to get this done, hopefully.

I had hopes of retaining my ac/heater, but that didn't pan out, the beast is going to be a little bit too hardcore to have a sissy ac.

This project all seems so easy when you are dreaming of hauling ass in your bronco, and all the fabrication falls perfectly into place in your head. In reality, it takes some seriously expensive equipment to even get close to doing a good job, and when you are a fabrication noob, each step takes a long time.

Another thing is, that it is very difficult to build a rollcage by yourself. You just have to have someone to help you hold things in place while you measure, and tack weld.

I have an entire new appreciation for the guys that have pulled off the really good cages.

If it was easy everyone would have one!