Post by Hauls Assington »

ENGINE START!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P0-AEEzgEA

[youtube]6P0-AEEzgEA[/youtube]
Hauls Assington
Bronco Info: Under Construction

Re: The Beast

The last 2 days I worked on the front bumper.

Here is what I came up with, it still needs some work and more support.

I wish I could say my welds are A+ quality. They look like a drunken sailor with bad eyesight and a shaky hand did them at times. Better than the pidgeon shit sculptures I used to make, but I have a long way to go.
Tchajagos
Bronco Info: 1993 xlt stock on 33' BFGs

The Beast

Post by Tchajagos »

I like the shape and design. I'm just worried if you hit something it will fold up because it's only touching 2 spots on the frame.
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

The Beast

Post by Wrightracing.net »

I am with Tchajagos on this one. Looks cool, but it does not protect much down under it. This is the last one I built for a friend from a bunch of left over tubing from a couple cage projects. This is a Chevy bumper but the skid plate tubes going down protect the bottom of the radiator and on a Bronco those tubes with a cross tube between the frame rails helps protect other steering components from a direct hit.

Hauls Assington

Yeah for sure, i definitely have more work to do on it.
Hauls Assington

Ok, I went fast in my bronco tonight!!! This thing is a serious beast!!

I have been working hard to get the fuel system cleaned out. After numerous flushes, I got it running decent, and took a lap around the block. Came back and checked everything. I was pretty busy listening for any signs of doom, but everything was working good. So I got enough nerve up to go to the gas station.

I filled up with 91 octane, she took on 29 gallons.

I continued to drive around near my house. Went home and gave her a good look, and tightened everything up again. I had a little leak on number 8 cyl, header, tightened it and it went away.

It was time to hit the desert for the first time since it was stock, and in bad shape.

Holy hell!! This thing rips! It wants to burn rubber on asphalt, but in the dirt it really gets it! I can't believe how awesome the suspension is compared to the last time I drove it. It needs an alignment, but it isn't just insanely bad. It kinda wanders a little. Definitely a handful once you get going very fast.

It is pretty loud as far as engine noise goes. When you hammer down it sounds gnarly! I can tell the the cage stiffened the frame tremendously. But the biggest thing is suspension, it is really plush! I hit some small whoops that I would hit in the stock bronco at like 5mph, at like 20 and it totally absorbed them.

The motor definitely needs to be tuned better. It sputters a little bit under full throttle, I am wondering if something is clogged up in the secondaries. Or it could be that I am too conservative on timing. I set it at 9. Might need a tad more.

I think I am just going to put the other carb on and see what happens.

Some other thoughts were that it doesn't rattle nearly as bad as it did.
3.55 gears with 33's and c-6 isn't terrible, because you can still kinda idle along quietly at about 40mph.

I floorboarded it a couple of times, and watched the EGT. It stayed around 1300-1330 under full throttle, but I never really reved it up more than about 4000.

I'm going to drive it to work tomorrow, and try to get an alignment done.
dtbback
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig

Post by dtbback »

Congratulations!! I want to say you're pretty awesomeness for taking on such a build and doing it completely by yourself! Tons of props man! Can't wait to see your first gofast video.
Hauls Assington

I put the summit racing street/strip 600 cfm carb. Now this thing runs like a raped ape!! No missing or bogging of any kind, EGT readings are much lower than before. It runs as though it were fuel injected at this point. I am very excited to have it tuned decently!

I put the carb on, exactly as it was in the box. It idled perfect, started right up, and runs perfect.

I am going to get an AFR gauge soon. Just so I know it is happy. Tomorrow, I am going to run it a little harder, and look at the plugs.

I think the bolt that holds the left rear leafspring is hitting the body a little bit.

I took a little video on the drive right after installing the carb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Os7wtD2ChLI
Hauls Assington

Well yesterday I got over the sheer terror that something might be terribly wrong with the motor/transmission ect, and was pleased with tuning for now, and I was able to go out and hit a few bumps. I have never had a vehicle that was actually setup for desert, and I can't believe how well this thing eats the rough. I need to get an alignment still but it isn't too bad. It stays straight and doesn't pull, but the wheel is clocked about 40* off. And the steering charicteristics are funky.

I haven't even come close to doing anything that would bottom it out, but so far so good. I went back and tightened eveything up again, and I am glad, because I the nut that holds the shifter cable onto the tranny got loose, and I thought the tranny was going out there for a minute.

Tonight I am going to get the hood back on, and start to work gusseting the cage and I need to get going on the rear tire rack/jerry can holder. I need to do the front bumper skidplate, and add a few more supports to the bumper.

Then I need to think about the back seat, cargo storage and paint, and we are done!
Hauls Assington

Well, I spent all day, and last night doing some brutal rock crawling on the "chile challenge" trails in the treacherous Roblado mtns, here in Las Cruces. (In 2wd lol.) I am hugely satisfied with the performace off road. Even with 33''s and 3.55's in 2wd i was able to hang with the purpose built crawlers i brought up the rear, and treated the rocks like whoops and gunned it up the steep hills. The motor never even whimpered under some strenuous low speed hammering with the occasional blast up a rocky hill climb.

The switch to smaller carb really helped me, and the bottom end grunt is absurd, and i really dont even see a need to gear it down. What i did this weekend was the extreme of rocky trail type of stuff, and i didn't even need 4x4!
dtbback
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig

Post by dtbback »

Nice!! Have any pics or videos?
Hauls Assington

Hauls Assington

Hauls Assington

The checklist is almost complete!!
Hauls Assington

I did a 150 mile desert adventure last night, got home at like 2. This thing is a riot! I achieved 103mph on dirt, she just wants to run!
Hauls Assington

Another week of tuning, tweeking, and a new Rear tire rack and paintjob!
I convinced my wife to let me get a corbeau baja bench for the back. Once that gets here i can finish the rear cage/seat mounts.

This week, the beast is my dd, so far i have put about 400 miles on her.
Hauls Assington

Well it rained insanely hard, and I took my buddy for a whooped out trail ride, but the arroyos were running rivers, we had to cross one, and the shiftster wouldn't allow 4H, just 4L. I stuffed the front end on the far side, after crossing a raging 2.5 ft deep river, on the gas, and broke the joint on the passenger side axle. The shitty thing is that I should have just left it in 2 high the whole time. But It was 4x4 test time. SNAP!!.. Good thing I have a complete dana 50 ttb. I hope the shaft that comes out the passenger side of the 3rd member will fit my application. Other than that it was a fun run. The bronc is covered in mud, and now, for the rest of my life, I will get dirt in my eye every single time I get under it.
Hauls Assington

Tire rack is on.

Paint day. Went with rattle can bed liner.

Here is the rear droop, I strapped the rear at aproximately 17.5 inches of travel.

And here is Bob the alien driving the beast to work.
Smith racing
Bronco Info: 1978 bronco class 3 and 8 smith racing was inspired from Moss Brothers

Post by Smith racing »

Hows the bronco treating you, get the 4 wheel drive fixed?
Hauls Assington

Not yet, i am going to install the whole d50 3rd member, which had 4.10's , and do 4.11sin the back. It doesnt look like im going to make the race in notrees, I have been insanely busy with work, and pulling all nighters.