The Beast

Hauls Assington
Bronco Info: Under Construction

Re: The Beast

Post by Hauls Assington »

Thanks! I can't wait to finish this thing!
Hauls Assington

Stayed up late last night and got the factory wiring harnesses tamed and tied down. I made a tab that mounts the engine compartment fuse box to the engine cage.
Hauls Assington

Hauls Assington

Hauls Assington

That vid is of my bronc.
dtbback
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig

Post by dtbback »

Loving the video!!
Hauls Assington

Thanks!
Hauls Assington

[youtube]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=njN7QCr4mQE[/youtube]

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=njN7QCr4mQE

Here is a little wiring vid, i have found it easier to post vids than pics!
Hauls Assington

I am on the "crank it out" plan. This project has taken aproximately 10x longer than I expected, and I am more than ready to take this thing to the dez. I keep thinking I have a month to go, but at this point it may be more than that.

I have a ritual that seems to be working. I got this UE Boom device with purchase of cell phone, that has replaced my crappy garage stereo. I now blast high levels of metal at all times while working on the bronco, every night between 9pm-1am. The 9-1 shift is the highlight of my day.
I am learning more every day, and so far, my mechanical and fabrication skills have greatly improved. I am very thankful for go fast broncos, because I would have been flying blind on this project without it.

I got the shifter and gauge/switch cluster installed last night, and I feel like it was a big step towards driving her.

I'll make a video of progress later.
Hauls Assington

I got some more wiring done, and "center control console" is coming along, just need to run the shifter cable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2vFhBKdU7c
Hauls Assington

I started the beast under it's own wiring last night. For some reason it tries to bog when I hit the gas, something in the carb is not happy, or not set right. It has a holley 3310, 750 cfm vac secondary carb. Maybe too much accelerator pump shot.

I got a summit racing 600cfm street/strip carb, brand new that I am going to try. I think that 750 is too big for my purposes, and I think maybe if I put a 600, I will live longer, and maybe get a little better mileage on the street, and more bottom end throttle response.
Smith racing
Bronco Info: 1978 bronco class 3 and 8 smith racing was inspired from Moss Brothers

Post by Smith racing »

Yea I would check the accelerator pump on the carb, the motor is either getting to much fuel or not enough, so I would check that and the 600 maybe to small for the huge motor.
Hauls Assington

What will happen if the 600, is too small? Im pretty sure it will make less peak hp, but i think that might save my rearend from premature death.

Will it make it get hot? Or hotter than running the 750?
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

Is the carb a ready to run new carb specifically for you motor or is it a generic universal Holly. Some come pre tuned and jetted and some do not. Was this carb used on this engine before?

As for the 600, If you run it to lean, it will ping and burn the exhaust valves eventually. You will need to make sure you get the air/fuel mixture right and it will be ok. The same thing for the 750.
Hauls Assington

The one that is on it came with the motor, that is a 3310 holley 750 vac sec. It ran good when I bought the motor, but then sat for like 9 months while I have been working on the bronco.

I got a brand new summit racing 600 cfm 4 barrel that is supposed to be a decent carb from what people have said. It is probably intended for a smaller motor, but I am at 4500 ft. above sea level, so the jetting might be semi close. It takes holley jets and parts for the most part. I have not installed it yet but I am thinking about it.
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

The 750 may need to be cleaned out and make sure there is no tarnish glogging anything.

The 600 should work like an oem carb as long as it is tuned properly.
Hauls Assington

I have really not dealt with carbs on cars much in my life, everything I have ever had was fuel injected.

I am going to take your advice and rebuild the 750, because I have seen it work in its current configuration. The other thing is that the gas that was in the tank went bad, and I flushed it out with new gas, drained the tank, and then poured 5 gallons of fresh gas, and drained it again, but I can see in the clear filter I have on the line, the gas looks like it isn't 100%. It could be my whole problem.

Or bad gas gummed up the carb, and is causing the motor to run bad.
Wrightracing.net

You should pull the gas line at the carb. Pull all the filters, there are more then the one in the engine bay. There is might be one on the tank and one might be on the frame rail. Put clean ones in. If it is bad you may have to replace the new filters. You could also blow out the lines with carb cleaner and compressed air, not through the filter, then check that it is clean after reassembly. Then get a glass jar and pump the gas via tha fuel pump, into the jar until it is clean.
Hauls Assington

Ok i will do that.
Hauls Assington

I didn't work on the carb tonight. I have decided to put the summit street strip carb on, and pull and rebuild the holley. This is the carb I am putting on.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-m08600vs

From the reviews it got, I feel like I may be on the right track to tunertonville. I found a digitron EGT gauge that I used for my racing go-kart back in the day. I am going to install that tomorrow, and the new carb. I am going to re-flush the heck out of the fuel system, put a new fuel filter, and see where we are with the stock settings on the summit carb. I have a feeling it will be needing bigger jets.

I found this article about tuning with egt, it is interesting. http://www.sdsefi.com/techegt.htm

When I was kart racing, we always aimed for 1450 degrees, and my motor ran really well with that egt reading.
The thing about egt is that the numbers go down when you are too lean, as well as going down from being too rich, so you have to know what the peak egt reading for your specific motor is or you could go way to lean, but you will probably know if it is too lean by other ways. I was thinking about getting an AFR gauge and running a crossover tube with the oxygen sensor off of my stock y-pipe. But I didn't because I don't want my wife to chop my balls off, as I am getting close to exceeding the budgetary parameters of my project. So I am going to have EGT as a tool that can help me get pretty close to optimally tuned with a carb, and at least know what is going on with the engine to some degree while I am flogging it across the desert.

So tonight I finished installing the harnesses, and shock rez tabs, and got the rezzeses hose clamped to the engine cage. I ordered some camber bushings that go to 3.2 degrees in hopes that will allow for proper alignment.