89 bronco build

89bronco.jake
Bronco Info: 1989 bronco

89 bronco build

Post by 89bronco.jake »

ive been watching this forum for a while now, havent said much but im sure some of you will recognize this build from DR. figured id join in and post of thread for those who dont go on DR.

ill try and sum it up as quick as possible with more pictures than less so this might be one really long big post....

bought this thing completely stock, didnt look the best. had a stereo system in it from the 40's im pretty sure and more wiring in it than a damn powerplant. but everything worked on it great, had a manual T-case, 351, AC and heater worked, power windows and locks all worked good. so i was sold. my plan was, still is acutally, was to make a reliable all around capable prerunner/fun toy to take out to the races and not have to worry about breaking down every 5 minutes. (the reliable part is pretty much out the window now haha).

plans started out with this:
cut/ turn my beams with a coil and 10" king/fox shock
deavers out back with a 12" shock under the floor
35's and 17's
bucket seats
race radio
gps
bumpers
jack,cooler,spare parts/pit bins mounted in the back
bumpers
and maybe eventually a simple cage

the day i brought it home

our race team is sponsored by method, and at the time general. so i got a good deal on some new 35" red labels and 17" standards. first set of new tires ive ever bought!! hah couldnt wait for the lift so i threw them on unitl i finished the beams.

Couldnt stand how dull the paint was, so i waxed it and sure enough she shined right up!!

after that first thing i decided to build was a back bumper, put in 2 rigid duallys as back up lights, and also made it so my hitch can still bolt in right under the bumper when i need it.

this is after i installed the beams, 4.56's in the front third, 4.56s in the rear end, 2" blocks in the rear, 4.5" lift coils, some cheapo rancho shocks, and a pair of bushing radius arms that i got with the gears.

built a bumper for the front. all bolt on, put some cheap KCs i had laying around the shop on to fill it out better.

since this thing turned into more of a rockcrawler than prerunner, i finally built some rock sliders. (of course after i already smashed my body panels up)
these were before i plated the tops.

got basically a free set of clapped out ranger deavers with 6" shackles. took some measurements, looked like theyd work so i threw them on. plan on getting them re-arched soon.
this is also after putting on a pair of 37" projects.

built a center console cause i hated the stock one. also got some nice switches installed.

got sick of the bushing radius arms and bought some heims finally and built my own.....

threw a 50" rigid bar up on the roof.

projects were getting worn to shreds, so i got deal on some 37" toyos, only problem was they were the 13.5's which were way to wide. drove on those for about a month and traded my buddy for his 35" toyos.

pretty much how she sits now, back to the 35" toyos which are so much better. this was the last time i took her out on a pig hunt we had.

bought some 12" bypasses of my friend, they were some spares off the Trophylite we used to race, for a smokin deal. so my next step is going to be re-arching the rear springs, installing these shackles and hangers i built, and installing the 12" bypasses. itll be after august though until updates because im currently working on 3 big projects to make it to pismo huckfest right now thats taking up all my time.

and then heres some random pictures from wheeling trips and what not.....

robertcrav
Let me google that for you
Bronco Info: Lana - Stock width c/t coil-overs/bypasses -- Sylvia - Stock width 4" Rancho kit on Billies

Re: 89 bronco build

Post by robertcrav »

Nice....how's the output on that 50" rigid up high?
drewbee88
Bronco Info: Rhonda the Bronco is her name, shredding dirt is her game.

Post by drewbee88 »

Geez every other picture you got has a different set of tires on that thing
Andy Jones
Bronco Info: In the Works!

Post by Andy Jones »

Nice rig! I've seen it on DR, makes me miss mine. :( anyways , welcome.!
89bronco.jake

Post by 89bronco.jake »

drewbee88 wrote:Geez every other picture you got has a different set of tires on that thing
oh yeah. ive played musical tires for a while now. haha

as far as the rigid bar, i like how bright it is but i dont like that it doesnt go very far. it we werent sponsored by rigid id defiantly be running some hella 4000's up there instead. for looks AND function.

thanks guys!
RyanDS650X
Bronco Info: Autofab '96 XLT 5.8

Post by RyanDS650X »

Looks good! I think ive seen this bronco running around Tempe...
89bronco.jake

Post by 89bronco.jake »

RyanDS650X wrote:Looks good! I think ive seen this bronco running around Tempe...
yup. lived in tempe for about a year. just recently moved back to phoenix though.
funinthesun95
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco MAF UsShift

Post by funinthesun95 »

Welcome

nice ride
Rmc
El Jefe
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner

Post by Rmc »

I dig the switches, very cool.
ESHALLBETTER
Bronco Info: 85 class 3, 70's somthing trail bronco.

Post by ESHALLBETTER »

"for the chicks"

was that the most expensive switch on the truck?
1Hondalover
Bronco Info: Having so much fun with friends in Baja, we're not sure if we want to race NORRA.....

Post by 1Hondalover »

Nice job. Where did you get those switches?
89bronco.jake

Post by 89bronco.jake »

thanks guys,

switches i had my buddy from sierra expeditions order them. i forgot the company but you can order them pretty much any custom style/logo?color you want. all my lights are red, engine start green, compressor blue, and dust light orange.
89bronco.jake

Post by 89bronco.jake »

ESHALLBETTER wrote:"for the chicks"

was that the most expensive switch on the truck?
the switch itself was only like $2 more for customizing it, but what it powers was the most expensive yes. haha
89bronco.jake

Post by 89bronco.jake »

well ive definatly been slacking on the updates on GFB, ive always been a DR guy so thats where i always update my thread.

got some major updates done since the last time i posted on here so ill try and keep the timeline on track.

first set of updates is the rear suspension. got the deavers re-arched, hangers and shackles that i built earlier on, 12" bypasses mounted under the floor, 2.0x4" fox bumps, and built a U-bolt eliminator kit for it too. and for once i actually cleaned everything up, primered, painted an cleared it. couldnt be happier with how it came out. cut the wheel wells out and tubbed it for 38" tires since i knew i was gonna be running 37's. put as much interior back in as i could. its at i think 17" of clean travel right now with a minimal amount of de-arch in the leafs.

89bronco.jake

Post by 89bronco.jake »

Second set of updates ive got for you guys is the bucket seats i got and mounted up. 2 front PRP buckets that match the interior color, and a beard bench that fits PERFECT in between the wheel wells in the back. oh and also, i wrapped and painted my center console too. i was sick of the plain aluminum. wrapped the panels in a thin foam then a tan vinyl. then painted the frame gloss black. got two more rigid ambers in the back for chase lights too.

89bronco.jake

Post by 89bronco.jake »

next update is the front suspension. got a smoking deal on some 14"x 2.5 king coilovers that i couldnt pass up. built some shock hoops and a cross bar. and then finally got our first set of race take off, 37"x12.5x17 projects. they all have a slow leak. but since the bronco isnt my DD anymore i dont mind at all!
front end is at about 15" of travel if i recall correct. i bumped it out fairly low so i didnt have to worry about the heater box and 37s.

89bronco.jake

Post by 89bronco.jake »

and lastly my favorite post so far.... got the truck out to the dunes for its first time since all the suspension upgrades. it did GREAT. im so happy with it. need to do a little bit of valving and add bumps to the front, but once again im so stoked on how it did out there.

tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

That looks great!! Suspension drooped out looks fantastic too!

What size bench is that, in the rear?