Kritter's 96 Bronco

shockseals.com

Re: Kritter's 96 Bronco

Post by shockseals.com »

tcm glx wrote:
shockseals.com wrote:Bring beer.

Special request?
I was kidding. Start time got pushed back to tuesday...
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

philofab wrote:I would prefer to do mine in 1.75 DOM but I'd really like to make it race legal so I can enter this thing for fun every once in a while. The problem for me is dealing with the rear seats and being able to access them. It's difficult to build something that has no trade offs.
removable cross/seatbelt bar like C wilson's rig.

2" is such overkill even for trophy trucks.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
BajaDale

Post by BajaDale »

shockseals.com wrote:
philofab wrote:I would prefer to do mine in 1.75 DOM but I'd really like to make it race legal so I can enter this thing for fun every once in a while. The problem for me is dealing with the rear seats and being able to access them. It's difficult to build something that has no trade offs.

2" overkill :shock: ? You've never crashed hard have you? :| I guess if that's all your life is worth.... :roll:
Dezertbronco
Bronco Info: 1990 Bronco EB

Post by Dezertbronco »

I would love to see this as well, Tony let me know when you are going.
There is no substititute for Horsepower.
Dezertbronco
Bronco Info: 1990 Bronco EB

Post by Dezertbronco »

BajaDale wrote:
shockseals.com wrote:

2" overkill :shock: ? You've never crashed hard have you? :| I guess if that's all your life is worth.... :roll:

Im Pretty sure that Kris ran the calcs, These Boys know what they are doing.
There is no substititute for Horsepower.
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

Cage design has way more to do with strength than tubing diameter. 2" is overkill, NASCAR does not even use that big of tubing and they hit walls at a much higher speed.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

Dezertbronco wrote:I would love to see this as well, Tony let me know when you are going.
Well, seeing as to the fact I work a mile or so away, every day that I have a few spare minutes.. hahahah
BajaDale

Post by BajaDale »

philofab wrote:Cage design has way more to do with strength than tubing diameter. 2" is overkill, NASCAR does not even use that big of tubing and they hit walls at a much higher speed.

I'm thinking more about fatigue than worried about calcs, if you build a good 2" .120 wall cage it's good the life of the truck. Go thin and small and always worry about cracks and fatigue :| . I drive and help prep a ProTruck, 1 1/2" 4130 tubing. Always going over that truck with a fine tooth comb and spend alot of time welding cracks. Just my .02cents! ;)
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

BajaDale wrote:
philofab wrote:Cage design has way more to do with strength than tubing diameter. 2" is overkill, NASCAR does not even use that big of tubing and they hit walls at a much higher speed.

I'm thinking more about fatigue than worried about calcs, if you build a good 2" .120 wall cage it's good the life of the truck. Go thin and small and always worry about cracks and fatigue :| . I drive and help prep a ProTruck, 1 1/2" 4130 tubing. Always going over that truck with a fine tooth comb and spend alot of time welding cracks. Just my .02cents! ;)
That is due to the Chromoloy tubing. DOM/CDS does not have the fatigue problem.
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

BajaDale wrote:

I wouldnt worry about cracks or fatigue. 1.5 DOM is plenty for 99.5% of broncos built into door slamming prerunners if not 100%.
Design and construction are most important.

Im not going for a race vehicle cage but I would have no issue racing on it safety wise. Im going for a simple, purposeful cage that will keep the keep occupants safe, body from falling apart, be non intrusive and look clean.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
bajascott
My belly is my best friend
Bronco Info: its black, its fun to drive,and i dont have enough money to build it the way i want to!:)

Post by bajascott »

mine is being made of 1 3/4 mild . i have built many cages in the past with mild and have never had a problem with them .
dom is better of course but for a weekend warrior,....
1 1/2 dom cage in a fullsize is plenty strong if designed right.for what we use our broncos for (most us anyway)
i built a toyota cage with 1 1/2 dom 3 or for yrs ago and a couple weeks ago it rolled during a short course race in phoenix(violently according to the owner) the doors still open and close like the should and they raced a week later at RATR.(it only make like 2 turns cuz the axle shaft broke but still....)it is a heavy truck
FRONT YARD FABRICATION
http://ssfab-n-offroad.com/
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

bajascott wrote:mine is being made of 1 3/4 mild . i have built many cages in the past with mild and have never had a problem with them .
dom is better of course but for a weekend warrior,....
1 1/2 dom cage in a fullsize is plenty strong if designed right.for what we use our broncos for (most us anyway)
i built a toyota cage with 1 1/2 dom 3 or for yrs ago and a couple weeks ago it rolled during a short course race in phoenix(violently according to the owner) the doors still open and close like the should and they raced a week later at RATR.(it only make like 2 turns cuz the axle shaft broke but still....)it is a heavy truck
The Toyota? I drug that off the course. Three trucks broke in the first turn. I couldn't stop laughing.
bajascott
My belly is my best friend
Bronco Info: its black, its fun to drive,and i dont have enough money to build it the way i want to!:)

Post by bajascott »

YEA the red and black one...
FRONT YARD FABRICATION
http://ssfab-n-offroad.com/
Travisfab
Bronco Info: 95 XLT 5.8 C6 Prerunner

Post by Travisfab »

My Yota is 1 3/4" mild and shows zero signs of stress or cracks, but it's built well.

Lot's of triangles, no dead tubes and your fine. My Bronco will be 1 3/4 as well.
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

Finished in 3 days...all tucked into sheetmetal and dash and 100% tig welded.

All factory interior went back in other than windhield plastic that holds in headliner and the visors.

several thousand photos were taken for a time lapse deal I will put together someday when im not beat. Time to hit the snow and drink...

Here are a few...

Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
Silverslk
Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Baur Bronco......GONE to a better home

Post by Silverslk »

Can't wait to see more pics.
SteveG wrote:The point? It's amazing these front ends go down the road straight in any form! The TTB is brute. A broad sword and not a scalpel. That's why I love it!
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Looks awesome! Can't wait to see the time lapse deal. You guys seem to work fast - care to take over my '74 supercab for me????? :D
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

Updates?
Andy Jones
Bronco Info: In the Works!

Post by Andy Jones »

X2^^^^ UPDATES!!!
dont PM me.. I don't get them on Taptalk
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

tcm glx wrote:Updates?
Been too busy. All I have done is install the speed sensor kit and paint the cab and cage. I need to remove the shell to finish painting and also get the headliner fitted back in. Smith Race wire is wiring up new dome lights, killing airbag chime and cleaning up speedsensor wiring before I get back at it again.

I started tacking the rear end up...perches, fill, drain, calipers mts, snouts, etc...
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com