Kritter's 96 Bronco

shockseals.com

Re: Kritter's 96 Bronco

Post by shockseals.com »

Since the only thing I never touched was the motor... I figured it was time to build one.

408 stroker, AFR heads, 30lb injectors, comp cam for good manners, 255lph fuel pump, 9.8:1 comp etc.... I got with Steve at Power Train dynamics who specd the build knowing I wanted at least 400ft-lbs of torque(hp I dont care about or high RPM) and smog passable with power at 1500-4500 and keep it looking as stock as possible like the rest of the rig. Stock intake, tb, and maf were no issue per Steve for the requirements I had and the edelbrock intake would cause cage clearance issues so I didnt even consider it and I trust the dyno guy since he has done a lot of these. 5 tunes on a knob will be available for cat/no/87/91/etc...

While the motor was out I figured I would build the manual T case I have had sitting around and swap out the electric and have the trans which has been flawless for 6 years sent out and torn down for a refresh. Ended up with a new billet converter and was otherwise flawless inside. All new exhaust with a v band clamp cat set up for with and without cat.

Its back in and being dressed now. Hope to fire up Monday and get to the dyno following week.

Should be a little more go fast fun.
Attachments
IMG_3957.JPG
IMG_3957.JPG (496.42 KiB) Viewed 2100 times
IMG_3946.jpg
IMG_3946.jpg (845.49 KiB) Viewed 2100 times
IMG_3856.jpg
IMG_3856.jpg (806.27 KiB) Viewed 2100 times
IMG_3815.jpg
IMG_3815.jpg (650.89 KiB) Viewed 2100 times
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
robertcrav
Let me google that for you
Bronco Info: Lana - Stock width c/t coil-overs/bypasses -- Sylvia - Stock width 4" Rancho kit on Billies

Post by robertcrav »

sweet! Are you building the motor? Who is refreshing the trans?
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

robertcrav wrote:sweet! Are you building the motor? Who is refreshing the trans?
I am not building the motor. A buddy at work has a guy that builds his race motors thats is building it, his name is greg hall. He has a motor build shop and general auto service shop in moreno valley, been there since 1953 and its nice to see a bunch of old timers in the shop who enjoy this kind of build. Dougans did the balancing of the rotating assembly.

The trans went back to Remac in San Dimas who originally built it in 2012 as a mimic of his 4r100 superduty builds plus improved shifts. They did upgrade one last part that didnt get upgraded on original build and suggested a fresh TC since it was out and having the one split that was in there wasnt cost effective relatively so I went new.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
LvSteve
Bronco Info: 1995 XLT Sport. 96 427w e4od obd II system........ SOLD IT

Post by LvSteve »

Nice what size afe heads ?
LvSteve

Post by LvSteve »

Sorry AFR heads
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

tcinu2 wrote:Sorry AFR heads
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Post by VintageIronFab »

More about the electronics please...
http://www.vintageironfabworks.com

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Kritter's 96 Bronco

Post by cs_drums »

Sounds like a nice build. I know the 6 - position chips are popular with diesels I never thought to use one in our application. I love the idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TravisITGuy
Bronco Info: 94 FSB 5.8/e40d, 6"Procomp stage II lift, 4.88 gears, front aussie locker, 35"bfg AT,

Post by TravisITGuy »

are you expecting 400lb at the flexplate or to the rear wheels. I dont see how you could achieve this on the stock 5.8 intake. its such a bottleneck. Now you could run a edelbrock truck lower and a mustang eddy upper with the throttle body pointed to the driver side, this would be shorter and fit under your cage i would think. sounds like an awesome build regardless.
94 FSB 5.8/e40d, 6"Procomp stage II lift, 4.88 gears, front aussie locker, 35"bfg AT,Eddy efi intake and JBA headers. custom front bumper with a warn HS9500, custom sliders.
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

TravisITGuy wrote:are you expecting 400lb at the flexplate or to the rear wheels. I dont see how you could achieve this on the stock 5.8 intake. its such a bottleneck. Now you could run a edelbrock truck lower and a mustang eddy upper with the throttle body pointed to the driver side, this would be shorter and fit under your cage i would think. sounds like an awesome build regardless.
Im not looking to go much past 5k rpms...the air filter(my filter set up flows 50% more than stock) and single 3" exhaust is more of a limit that then manifold. All the fuckery of mismatching this, that and the other from different fords was of no interest to me. It would have required cage mods, cruise control mods, air filter mods...for power in a range I dont care about.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

363ft-lbs to the ground through an E4OD on 35s with 4.56. Power range from 2000-4500. Tuning and dyno at powertrain dynamics. Steve is sharp with his tunes and diagnostics, a definite A+ rating.

AFR 165 Heads, 264-8 comp cam, 30lb injectors, 408 rotating assembly, aeromotive adj regulator, 255lph pump, stock intake, stock TB, stock maf, JBA headers, tuner with 5 position switch he tuned 2 of the 5 for me specifically.

First few runs it was a little fat on a rapid WOT and it was the intake arm/elbow on my 80 series land cruiser air filter housing was tricking the mass air sensor into thinking it was passing more volume than it really was so it was dumping more fuel. A recal of the mass air table fixed that. The lock up switch on the trans definitly helps with dyno tuning and he was appreciative of that. Apparently GM can be locked up with the lap top but Ford cant.

He also tuned out the OD shift until after 50mph so the motor isnt lugging in OD which is not only an annoying drone in the cab, also not good for the motor to lug like that.

Its got a stock tune with all systems go for smog testing and a tune for all everything else with the flip of a switch.. We didnt go with an 87 tune, he just said if I was stuck running 87, use torco or just dont hammer on it.

Going with all the aftermarket TB, intake, plenum, mass air, etc....that the internet said was mandatory would have helped in the 4500-5500 range which I do not drive in and then I gotta deal with aftermarket shit, not OEM like I like so I am glad I didnt listen to the internet BS and on top of that, it wouldnt look stock which is what makes the morning dump...the morning dump, stock grocery getter.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
LvSteve

Post by LvSteve »

More info on the trans lock up switch ?
RyanDS650X
Bronco Info: Autofab '96 XLT 5.8

Post by RyanDS650X »

That's great, glad your happy with it. I'd still like to get one of those fancy fuel pump holders if you decide to make more. I'll be going bigger on the maf and TB so I'll be curious to see what numbers I have and where they matter in the rpm band. I agree with you that anything over 5k doesn't appeal to me.
'96 XLT 5.8l lil edelbrock, lil Autofab, LOTTA fun.

"I wouldnt even call adding beer as part of a prep...its like putting tires on the vehicle, you just do it."
-shockseals.com
mounty71
Bronco Info: Mercury Mountaineer

Kritter's 96 Bronco

Post by mounty71 »

Are those any special kind of Jerry cans on the back? Do they leak at all and does elevation change make them impossible to open ever?

shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

mounty71 wrote:Are those any special kind of Jerry cans on the back? Do they leak at all and does elevation change make them impossible to open ever?

Never had an issue unless over filled AND over torqued and then its 115 out with a 140f ground temp...happened south of cohabuzo at a locos mocos pit. I was able to break it loose and then it just leaked for 5 minutes off gassing.

The plastic jug is military surplus. The red can is standard gas gerry can.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

Took to smog check today. Passed all things measured at less ppm than “ave” on everything.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

shockseals.com wrote:Took to smog check today. Passed all things measured at less ppm than “ave” on everything.
So great... got it done right and now it's paying off with hassle-free smog tests. Love it.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
mobil1syn
Bronco Info: 1996 - operation mijo hauler

Post by mobil1syn »

about how much are you into the motor? im on the fence on how to proceed with mine since an LS would be simple and cheap, but a PITA for smog.
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Kritter's 96 Bronco

Post by cs_drums »

I don’t understand the LS1 is simple and cheap. You need to change motor, trans, trans & motor mount, wiring, plumbing, driveshafts & wiring. Or build a stroker with decent parts and have it tuned.....

VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Post by VintageIronFab »

CS are you for or against the LS? I personally don’t understand putting a LS in a bronco vs blazer with beams.
http://www.vintageironfabworks.com

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)