Kritter's 96 Bronco

philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Re: Kritter's 96 Bronco

Post by philofab »

I saw your truck parked below Freeloader hill. I was hoping to meet you but I didn't see you near it. What happened to your quarter panel?

I was so busy with those Class 11s that I didn't know a car rolled over in turn 4 next to me.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

philofab wrote:I saw your truck parked below Freeloader hill. I was hoping to meet you but I didn't see you near it. What happened to your quarter panel?
Would have been cool to meet up. I was up on the hill the whole day with a pretty large crew.

If you click through the pictures you will notice a rock the size of a large tire. I swerved to miss a rock on my side and swerved back to miss a boulder...broncos dont chicane well. I uprooted it with the front tire from the side of the trail which started it rolling down the trail but not fast enough as it smacked the quarter panel then the rear tire ran it over. My guess is 35-45mph.

Pro Comp Kevlar sidewall race tires saved the day. I thought for sure I had 2 flats and destoryed wheels. Seeing a rock that big moved 15feet down the trail is impressive.

It took 3 of us to move it back off the trail.

Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
BDKW1
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!

Post by BDKW1 »

shockseals.com wrote:weld in the snouts and have it straightened.
It's not strait now? If it starts out strait it should still be strait after you put in the snouts.
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

BDKW1 wrote:
shockseals.com wrote:weld in the snouts and have it straightened.
It's not strait now? If it starts out strait it should still be strait after you put in the snouts.
No truss...no perches...no snouts. it is straight now according to Cone but he supplies the snouts off for trussing.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
BDKW1

Post by BDKW1 »

Make your truss as tall as the tubes so that the welds are 180* from each other on the tube and there will be very little if any warping.
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

BDKW1 wrote:Make your truss as tall as the tubes so that the welds are 180* from each other on the tube and there will be very little if any warping.
Did you ever end up making the 9" housing trusses?
Sho nuff,
SteveG
BDKW1

Post by BDKW1 »

SteveG wrote:Did you ever end up making the 9" housing trusses?
Like this?

JD fab made them up after I bitched and moaned long enough. They fit a regular back housing like a Curry or Speedway. Not sure on others. They work very well on not warping the tubes. Has been copied since..........
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Like that. I didn't know someone was making (copying) them.... Who?
Sho nuff,
SteveG
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

BDKW1 wrote:Make your truss as tall as the tubes so that the welds are 180* from each other on the tube and there will be very little if any warping.
It will be a piece of 1.75 tube across the back welded at the ends between the u bolts, center section and two support tubes on each side between the bends. If I was 4 linking it I would make a sheetmetal piece across the back like you show. The heat treated chromoly 3.5" tube housing shouldnt bend without a truss for prerunning.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
BDKW1

Post by BDKW1 »

shockseals.com wrote:It will be a piece of 1.75 tube across the back welded at the ends between the u bolts, center section and two support tubes on each side between the bends. If I was 4 linking it I would make a sheetmetal piece across the back like you show. The heat treated chromoly 3.5" tube housing shouldnt bend without a truss for prerunning.
It's not that it isn't strong enough, it's that when you weld a 1.75" tube to the backside and box it in you turn the housing into a banana. Going with a taller brace saves a lot of hassle down the road. The sheet metal one will also be lighter..........
BDKW1

Post by BDKW1 »

SteveG wrote:Like that. I didn't know someone was making (copying) them.... Who?
http://www.jdfabrication.com/

It's not on there site but I belive they still have some left from the last run.
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

BDKW1 wrote:
shockseals.com wrote:It will be a piece of 1.75 tube across the back welded at the ends between the u bolts, center section and two support tubes on each side between the bends. If I was 4 linking it I would make a sheetmetal piece across the back like you show. The heat treated chromoly 3.5" tube housing shouldnt bend without a truss for prerunning.
It's not that it isn't strong enough, it's that when you weld a 1.75" tube to the backside and box it in you turn the housing into a banana. Going with a taller brace saves a lot of hassle down the road. The sheet metal one will also be lighter..........

Not boxing, making it as simple as possible...there will be 5 welds for the truss.
Center, left, right, two supports midway between center and ends.

I am going to have tubeworks straighten it after everything is welded on so I am not too worried about warping but I will still make an effort to avoid/minimize it.

JD truss is a nice piece but major overkill for my rig.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

Cage starts tomorrow...

I will be doing a full time lapse recording on it if everything with the camear set up goes well.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

shockseals.com wrote:Cage starts tomorrow...

I will be doing a full time lapse recording on it if everything with the camear set up goes well.
Sweet. 2" DOM? I'm interested to see how you deal with the rear seats.
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

philofab wrote:
shockseals.com wrote:Cage starts tomorrow...

Sweet. 2" DOM? I'm interested to see how you deal with the rear seats.
1.75x.120 and .095 and some 1.5 x.095

2" is ridiculous. Score does it for liability. I was going to do it all 1.5 but 1.75 was actually cheaper.

As for the seats...they will not effect the design. the rear is a simple 4 point, 2 B's and 2 C's, 2 bars going front to rear.

The cab is going to be time intensive...im going to try to sink the tube into the sheetmetal so I can get the headliner back in and B pillar panels back in or at least make it easy for a headliner to be made. This will also allow a lot of weld to the body for stiffness.

Im a big fan of the KISS method...
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

Kris,
Are you building this at the shop in San Dimas... cause if so, I think I know where I am going to be sneaking out for lunch every now and again.
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

Bring beer.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

I would prefer to do mine in 1.75 DOM but I'd really like to make it race legal so I can enter this thing for fun every once in a while. The problem for me is dealing with the rear seats and being able to access them. It's difficult to build something that has no trade offs.
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

shockseals.com wrote:Bring beer.

Special request?
Drilim
Bronco Info: 94

Post by Drilim »

tcm glx wrote:
shockseals.com wrote:Bring beer.

Special request?
I'm as much of a beer snob as the rest but Ill make a recommendation...

Cold.