My 95

Tanner287
Bronco Info: 95 351 4.5" beams full cage front to rear 9" q80 deavers

Re: My 95

Post by Tanner287 »

I think ill go with the air locker. Thanks for the info! Cus I didn't really know the positive and negatives about each one
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

I would also suggest looking at Posi or even the factory limited slip. You'd be surprised how well that will do. If you run the factory limited skip, you can do a little trick the mustang guys do which is to rebuild it and add extra clutch packs for a tighter limited slip.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

I like the posi with extra tight clutch too. Acts like a locker much of the time, but will slip vs. break an axle if it gets in a situation where it needs to.

Funny as I just posted something similar in Tony's thread about spools.

Anyway - as for the ARB - I've never really looked much into them as the thought of the compressor and running the air lines back to it, as well as the air line then running down into the pumpkin has turned me off. I've been reading more and more of guys really liking them though, so maybe they actually are worth the effort. Anyone here actually running one?
robertcrav
Let me google that for you
Bronco Info: Lana - Stock width c/t coil-overs/bypasses -- Sylvia - Stock width 4" Rancho kit on Billies

Post by robertcrav »

I would agree on the post idea however I believe Tanner is planning a pretty bada$$ build and has a 9" and is going to be on 37s
Tanner287

Post by Tanner287 »

Yeah ill be on 37's and I have a camburg 9" housing. I originally was just going to run a spool. A friend of mine also has this locker called a eaton e locker, which seems really cool and I like it more then the air but I doesn't seem like they offer one for a 9" which kinda sucks haha
robertcrav
Bronco Info: Lana - Stock width c/t coil-overs/bypasses -- Sylvia - Stock width 4" Rancho kit on Billies

Post by robertcrav »

Elocker is an electric ARB, but hasn't become as popular as the aRB and doesnt have the options
Tanner287

Post by Tanner287 »

Yeah iv noticed. I have a while to have to decide but I'm leaning towards the arb.
I'm no knowledgable about lockers at all, would you get an arb for front and rear, or?
Rmc
El Jefe
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner

Post by Rmc »

My experience is front lockers are great only when stuck or in a pinch, with a locked front on asphalt the vehicle becomes very difficult to steer without some type of servo assist steering, in dirt u can feel the differance too but it all depends on what u will use the rig for. On asphalt the whole front end will start jumping off the ground as the inner tire does a burn out and the outside tire catches up to the desired turn radius. It may have been only a solid axel phenomenon but was kinda crazy trying to turn it off for the turn. This experience I speak of was not using a controlable locker like arb. Something to keep in mind for the front is definitely on off controllability. Just my 2 cents.
Tanner287

Post by Tanner287 »

So if I was to run an arb I would get it for front and rear correct? Cus the arb I would turn off on the street and probably pre running I would think? Just use it for messing around and when I'm stuck haha
robertcrav

Post by robertcrav »

I would get the Detroit True-Trac Front and ARB rear
Rmc
El Jefe
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner

Post by Rmc »

Controllability is nice. I've been stuck on nearly flat ground with limited slip in the rear, front drive tire in the air, rear drive tire dropped out n in the air. For some reason the ls rear wasn't engaging . But that was a Cherokee.
Tanner287

Post by Tanner287 »

So what's going to be the difference of warn lovking hubs and a locker in your differential? I have warn locking hubs right now so do I not do anything else up front and just do the arb in the rear?
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

I run a posi up front and im stoked with it. I run a detroit in the rear and its noisy but well worth it. I have yet to not make a hill.
Tanner287

Post by Tanner287 »

hobbyturnedobsession wrote:I run a posi up front and im stoked with it. I run a detroit in the rear and its noisy but well worth it. I have yet to not make a hill.

What's in the front of a stock bronco?
robertcrav

Post by robertcrav »

Front diff is open stock.

Locking hubs don't have any effect in the diff. But, with the locking hubs you could theoretically run a Detroit up front and unlock the hubs and wouldn't notice, lock the hubs and you get the locked diff benefits
hobbyturnedobsession

Ive heard nothing but bad about running a detroit in the front.
robertcrav

Post by robertcrav »

Old school Jeep guys used to suggest Detroit up front and posi-rear... I've never driven with that combo, but what would be bad about it? With locking hubs, just unlock when it's not needed, or unlock one side if you need to make a tight turn

Realistically you are only in 4wheel drive when the ish is serious anyways...
hobbyturnedobsession

Ive hears you cant turn when its engaged it messes it up but i could be totally wrong. I have the exact opposite and it works really well so its entirely possible itd be perfect.
Tanner287

Post by Tanner287 »

Hmmm well thanks for the info guys. I'm still thinking arb in rear and idk about the front yet
robertcrav

Post by robertcrav »