My 95

Rmc
El Jefe
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner

Re: My 95

Post by Rmc »

I have also heard that legally through dmv paper work it's legal to upgrade your engine as long as it's a newer cleaner version but I'm positive there's lots of red tape and a chp inspection. I'm not exactly sure what all would be required though. Another thing I'm hopeful about is there's a bill that was just introduced that will allow you to pay a fee to gain yearly smog exempt status. I'm hopeful it passes
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

My 95

Post by cs_drums »

That would be awesome. Where did you here that?
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

I would love for that to pass, but in this commie state I can all but gaurantee you it won't. Our current smog check setup is an absolute joke and full of red tape BS that doesn't mean anything. You'd think they could clean that up before doing something like what Robert mentiones, but then again our state is broke & the current smog BS is more about generating income than it is clean air, so hey - it may fly...

Sorry - rant over. Just hate what pure BS our smog stuff is.
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

Not exactly applicable now that I looked agian.
Tanner287
Bronco Info: 95 351 4.5" beams full cage front to rear 9" q80 deavers

Post by Tanner287 »

I have heard about the possibility of a payment for smog. That would be so cool, but so I think it's come down to gt40 heads and a cam then maybe a tune?
Do I get used and get a valve job done? Or do I buy new, is there any advantages to new aftermarket heads vs ones off say a explorer or whatever it might be.

Then cam? My friend suggested a e303
Tanner287

Post by Tanner287 »

Also are there modifications required to run these heads? Or when I rebuild will they just go right on
dtbback
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig

Post by dtbback »

If your going to do a head and cam upgrade, why not use trick flow 170cft 61 cc heads and a comp cams cam? The tfs heads are 50 state emissions legal, bolt on with the factory bottom end, and will out flow a highly ported set of gt40s. There are a couple set on Craigslist last I check. Oh and after speaking with Power train Dynamics I am sure that set up would easily pass smog and net you some very nice gains.
Tanner287

Post by Tanner287 »

Or, since I'm kind of on a budget.
I go with a stock rebuild
Get it all good because I'm having a Fourth of July trip so I need the Bronco done by then.
And then a little later down the road when I have the money I will get a head an cam
I also like the edlebrock power package I think it's called, heads cam and intake. Supposed to be pretty good
dtbback
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig

Post by dtbback »

Unfortunately the budget wins everytime. stock rebuild it is!
Tanner287

Post by Tanner287 »

Gt40s are pretty darn cheap, found some out of an explorer for 150 but need valves done.
But just out of curiousity does anyone have a set of gt40s for sale?
drewbee88
Bronco Info: Rhonda the Bronco is her name, shredding dirt is her game.

Post by drewbee88 »

drewbee88
Bronco Info: Rhonda the Bronco is her name, shredding dirt is her game.

Post by drewbee88 »

I just go through the carb database lookin for something smog legal. Sometimes manufacturers don't even state it is carb legal sometimes even though the part number is in the database. http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/d ... mquery.php
Tanner287

Post by Tanner287 »

I'm not to worried about smog anymore.
It doesn't pass now because of egr problems and I just feel like I'm going to ditch all the egr stuff anyways
Tanner287

Post by Tanner287 »

Mainly looking at the gt40s because of budget, but if I get the gt40 heads mild cam, re build the motor, I have bassani headers and I want to get the bassani y pipe, plus a nice intake when I can and a tune. If after all that is done if I'm sitting somewhere near 300 id be pretty happy. I swear to you my motor now has to have maybe 100 horse hahaha even with my locker I can barely break loose my 35s.
And I have 4.56's
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

Gt40p are the better there off an explorer there better than the gt40x heads. I posted up something a few years back about gt40's. I don't remember the thread name now but it showed flow tests of each side by side.

Will, as far as truck flow, anything bling throws a nice fat red flag for the smog guy.

Tanner, I've been through nearly every part on my egr system already I may be able to help you get it fixed pretty easily. First pull codes.
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

The downfall of the Gt40p heads are your regular Bronco headers will not fit the 4 bar heads.

I am doing a 408 with the GT40 - 3 bar heads. You will have to open the bolt holes to 1/2" unless they are from a Lightning 351w.
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

Those are the good ones Wright. The 3 bar. Main thing here is not to pull attention to the mods for smog. E303 cam I was told will pass btw from a mustang builder I used to talk to at j&m speed shop in riverside. But I believe you are correct agian Wright, most small block heads are made with ringlets in the castings. For 5.0 they leave them in and for 5.4's they drill them out. I've read it can be done with a hand drill as it is only 3 raised rings in the casting. It's basically top, middle and bottom rings ( decreased diameters) in the exsisting head stud holes.
Tanner287

Post by Tanner287 »

That would be really cool Rmc
Offhand I don't remember but I the codes were egr failure.

But I have a massive vacumme line problem haha. I really need to just get my truck next to another bronco and copy it.
I think that could be my main problem.

So here's the question of questions haha,

How much are these gr40 heads realllyyyy worth it?
Or since I'm staying low budget and can't go get some really nice set of heads should I just put a cam in and call it a day?

This is my first time ever looking into a motor for my bronco so all this is new to me
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

In my friends F150 Full Stock, he ran the GT40 heads on a 408ci short block with a custom ground cam and it produced around 430 HP. At first he had the aluminum GT40 heads and cracked one. Then put on a set of iron heads. Truck still did well. My point is a Set of 3 bar GT40 head are a simple relatively cheap upgrade without having to change much else and maybe a mild cam. You could get a rebuilt short block for under $900 and a set of rebuilt GT40 heads for around $700 and you would have an engine that could pass smog and give you a durable motor with a bit more pep than a pure stock block. Budget build.