My Budget 87 Bronco Short Course Lucas Oil Racer ( Moved )

ckymacias
Bronco Info: 1987 Bronco 302 4x4 with a updated front clip to a 93-97 grill

Post by ckymacias »

87 Ford 302 Bronco 4x4 we plan on one day racing this new toy of ours, currently it will be set up for the new Stock Truck class Lucas Oil SC series, but I did notice there are a few other desert races I can take this to so I'm going to keep my mind open to both rule books in case we decide to compete in the desert series out there...
I pick up the bronco this weekend and plan on stripping the bronco and prepping it for the cage and other items to allow us to race, so if anyone is interested in door panels grill and lights front bumper rear bumper, let me know! I will post up the stock seats and dash and other items I will be not able to use including the rear cab shell, stock fuel injection, heater core, AC, etc., etc.... So if you’re looking for something let me know... And I might be up for trades on the items I will have up for sale...

Items we looking for are...
Head and Neck restraint ( D-cell, R3, Hybrid approved devices )
Window Race Nets
Race Seats
5-6 Point Race Seat Belts
Gauges Water/oil/trans/tach
Master 12volt cut off switch
Steering wheel
Roll Cage tubing
Fuel Cell (Must be 16 gage thick)
AC Delco Low-oil-pressure switch PN# AC Delco 25036938
Aftermarket Carb
Cast Carb intake manifold is required
Trans Shield or Blanket (must cover 270 degrees of trans)
Shocks (2.5 per corner)
Limit Straps
Spool or Locker
Quick steering
Heim joints for steering

The good part about this bronco is that it hasn't been beaten out in the dirt and the underbelly shows no signs of scratches or dents which I was expecting being that it is a 87 and a 4x4, the drive shafts looked as if it was rebuilt not that long ago! After I have some fun with this! I will post some more pictures of the chassis and what I'm dealing with...
I stripped out the head liner front and rear last night, and the rear seat and the carpet, and all the rear interior, which is now going up for sale once I've had a chance to clean the parts... Here are some pictures I took yesterday...
The guy spray painted the wheels...lol
Now the fun of pulling it apart and cleaning the bronco has started! Pick up my brand new master tonight!

Update 1/21
I finished removing the rear bumper and AC/Heater core and the AC core in front of the Radiator, I also replaced the bad Brake Master. But I wish I would have looked on here before replacing the master! I bought a new standard replacement instead of upgrading to a F250 booster and master! Oh well lesson learned, this project is getting closer to being shipped to the fab shop for the cage!
The bag was to keep the water out of the cab, so I could clean the eng bay again with everything removed...
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

The new rules allow stock fuel injection now.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
ckymacias

Re: My Budget 87 Bronco Short Course Lucas Oil Racer ( Moved )

Post by ckymacias »

Really! That is good to know! Thanks for the info! And I almost purhcased a carb and intake the other day! I guess now I can save that money for other things we really need!
philofab do you have any ideas on what would be a good cam for my project?
ckymacias

Post by ckymacias »

Update, Bronco is running after I pulled the dash, heater core, and all the wire from the electric 4x4 and the wiring harness for the Pwr windows and other accessories that will no longer need to be in the harness... Talk about fun...!

My Son having fun pretending he is racing! Love my little helper!

Would like to thank my good friends at Lucas Oil for this!

Now that it has been cleaned and started, I'm finding all my oil leaks. So I've moved to pulling the motor, so I'm picking up my cherry picker tomorrow.
The oil pan shows signs of leaking (which unless someone can tell me how to pull the pan with out pulling the motor?) which I wasn't really shocked about, and since I've been hearing that a lot of the trucks in this class are burning up or blowing up I would like to start off with a advantage of not showing up with something that is just thrown together...

And this week King of the Hammers starts so I will have to put this project on hold until I get back from KOH...
If anyone from this site is going my display will be right next to Lucas Oil, stop by and say hi...
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

Unbolt the motor mounts and lift the motor up. You should be able to get the motor up far enough with the trans unbolted from the crossmember to drop the pan enough to replace the gasket.
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
ckymacias

Post by ckymacias »

hobbyturnedobsession wrote:Unbolt the motor mounts and lift the motor up. You should be able to get the motor up far enough with the trans unbolted from the crossmember to drop the pan enough to replace the gasket.
Thanks!
ckymacias

Post by ckymacias »

Finished cleaning up the harness last night, removed all stereo wire and heater control harness, interior dome lights, anything that wasn't needed was removed.
Now my next question is for the guys that do run stock fuel injection do I have to keep the dash in order for it to work correctly? My Bronco starts up and runs like it should with all the stuff I removed and I don't want to go too far and find out I made a mistake, and not have it start up and run like it should...
BTW I'm addicted to my new toy!

Already cleaned up the stock cover for my dash in case we still have to keep it...(I also removed the vents to allow for other gauges)
ckymacias

Post by ckymacias »

Update!!! My Bronco is now at South West Performance! And I'm having Craig at Total Performance build a 351 for my full stock racer project!
robertcrav
Let me google that for you
Bronco Info: Lana - Stock width c/t coil-overs/bypasses -- Sylvia - Stock width 4" Rancho kit on Billies

Post by robertcrav »

ckymacias wrote:Update!!! My Bronco is now at South West Performance! And I'm having Craig at Total Performance build a 351 for my full stock racer project!
Nice! Can't wait to see the next updates!