Ogre's slow build low budget style

ogre20012001
Bronco Info: 1989 bronco

Ogre's slow build low budget style

Post by ogre20012001 »

ok so its time for me to write a build thread.
here's the bronco specs when i bought it.

1989 Bronco XLT
302 cid. with AOD and 109,000 miles on odometer.
4" lift using various companeys parts. the rear had lift blocks.
one thing i found out was the front springs were tuff country and rode like a brick. i called tuff country and found out that their springs were 650lbs/in rating and single rate. OMG no wonder they were stiff. 2" compression could about handle the weight of the front end.
the axles had stock gears in them and it was riding on 35x12.50x15 tires (can we say a dog)
also the base timing was set at 4* and the spout was no where in sight. (OMG what was the PO thinking)

here is the pics of when i brought it home.
1989 Ford Bronco 2.5" lift 33" tires Detorit True-Trac front and rear with 4.56 gears. and soon to install a mile marker 8000lbs Electric Winch!
ogre20012001

Re: Ogre's slow build low budget style

Post by ogre20012001 »

two weeks after i got it home i had to rebuild the t-case
it was a mess in their.

Next up was some new stuff for the bronco. some suspension stuff and mostly Gears and Detroit True-Tracs front and rear so i got some 4.56 gears and new shocks and a few other odds and ends.
me and my brother installed my new gears and what a world of differnce that made. went from 7mpg to 13mpg with 35" tires.
and yes them are deaver 5.5" springs in that pic.
1989 Ford Bronco 2.5" lift 33" tires Detorit True-Trac front and rear with 4.56 gears. and soon to install a mile marker 8000lbs Electric Winch!
ogre20012001

Post by ogre20012001 »

no gear install pics and it was stormy that weekend and i was at my brothers house with no car port. so we just got it done as fast as we could.
after the gears it was time to touch up on the suspension.
so i installed 5.5" deaver springs and new shocks that wouldnt limit my travel. they are doshtec prerunner 8000 with 13.5" stroke.
installed the shocks using f-250 shock towers grafted onto stock coil buckets.
new spring vs. old spring.
coming apart.
New shock
grafting shock mount in place.
new coil and shock installed
i also used a ranger lower coil cup on with the new springs 1" doffernce in height.
ogre20012001

Post by ogre20012001 »

now on to some poser pics.
before deaver springs
as you can see my front end had no travel in it.

after deaver springs.
lots more travel.

then i decided that i didnt. like the way it drove or handled as tall as it was. so i took the rear blocks out of the rear and put come moog coils in front. (cc826) droped me down to factory in rear and 3" lift in front. the moog coils have a varible rate spring and thier heaviest weight is 396lbs/in thats 30lbs/in. more than factory. and they sit almost 3" taller than factory. it drives much better now. and still goes off-road any where i want it to go. i also sold my 35" tires and got me some 33" tires with factory steel wheels.
here is how it sits to day.
and still has very dependible travel.
my rear sits just a little low so i am going to be installing one of theis it the rear http://offroaddesign.com/catalog/Zero%20Rates.htm
zachwabbit
Bronco Info: '93 F150 XLT, '89 2wd B2(Smurfette)

Post by zachwabbit »

I like your style man, pretty close to what I'm trying to do with my '89, what made you go with the Doestch Tech shocks and not Bilsteins? I've been going back and forth about running a single Bilstein 5100 rear of the coil or four BDS/Bronco Graveyard shocks made for a 2" lift with some 4" coils I'm going to cut down to get a 2" lift height and stuff em under my stock dual shock buckets
Potato.