guard
Bronco Info: 1996 Ford Bronco 5.8

Michael's 96 Sleeper

Post by guard »

Biography-
Michael Moorman
Home base: Loma Linda, CA
All Bronco pics online: https://www.supermotors.net/registry/24016

That's right, my build is going to be a hybrid trail/gofast type. 33" tires are here to stay with all my metal body panels (I say that now!)... I guess we'll see where it ends up, originally I was just going to keep it bone stock...so go figure. I started my offroad experience with rock crawling in my '81 and '79 CJ-7's. Unfortunately I have no digital pics of those, my '79 was pretty built. I learned to wheel on my own in Miller's Jeep trail (Hungry Valley rec area), Sledgehammer (Palmdale area), the Rubicon, and various other places throughout NorCal and SoCal. I usually just solo'd trails, rarely with anyone else except for the occasional co-pilot friend. I rarely get into more trouble than I can handle, I always walk trails and consider lines when I get to the big boy stuff. I'm also not afraid to turn it around and abandon a trail beyond my vehicle's limits. This makes for slow wheeling and wishing I had a regular spotter. Not that I've never been stuck, but I'm pretty cautious on my own.

Another thing, I'm not a mechanic. Not a professional mechanic nor the home grown variety. I took welding and auto body class in high school and have done minor to moderate repairs myself during my late teens and early 20's. However, the tides have turned and it doesn't make sense for me to continue to wrench on my own vehicles. I'm not nearly as competent as a trained mechanic, I don't like shoddy work, I don't like to break down, and I don't have the ability to extensively wrench nights and weekends. I love playing in the dirt and I appreciate nice things. So I won't be posting any "how to" threads or extending step-by-step advice for those wanting to install muffler bearings! Yes, I know that mufflers don't have bearings...ffs, I'm time challenged, not an idiot :roll:

I just recently wanted to return to wheeling, having sold my Jeeps 8+ years ago. I picked this Bronco up from the owner of a Ford dealership in Auburn, WA close to 2 years ago. It was exactly what I wanted, an unmolested and non-rusted out '96 Bronco! About 5 weeks after purchase I blew a rear tire, setting me back a bit.

Stats:
1996 Ford Bronco
trim: Eddie Bauer
mileage: 146,000
engine: 5.8 (original, not rebuild)
tranny: E4OD (original, not rebuild)
gearing: Spicer 4.10 gears
ft diff: Dana 44
ft locker: Eaton e-locker
rr diff: Ford 8.8
rr locker: Detroit Truetrac

Purchased New:

Beginning to evolve:

Current Brake configuration:
Brake lines: custom steel braided
ft Rotors: Powerslot Cryo rotors
ft Pads: Hawk Superduty
rr Drums: no idea
rr Shoes: no idea
Brake fluid: Super Blue

Since the tire incident I've been chipping away at upgrades (including but not limited to...)

Red-Head Steering box
K&N intake
Magnaflow exhaust
200 Amp alternator
4 core heatbuster radiator
295 Flexalite electric dual fan
Stereo install w/ new speakers/amps

I opted to have these welded to the frame instead of drilling holes through it.

Future Upgrades TBD:

-Chromoly Axle upgrade ft/rr
-4.56 gears (from 4.10)

Shops or Vendors I've used and recommend:

http://www.dependableoffroad.com/
http://www.heftyfabworks.com/
http://www.carstereowarehouse.biz/
http://www.bajahid.com/

This is a work in progress, will clean it up and continue to post pics of the rig (current & future)
Last edited by guard on Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:19 pm, edited 14 times in total.
guard

Re: Michael's 96 Bronco trail & go fast build

Post by guard »

saved
Last edited by guard on Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:06 am, edited 4 times in total.
guard

Post by guard »

Adventures!

12-23-11
Dishpan Springs, Lake Arrowhead, CA

Last edited by guard on Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nick
Founder
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target

Post by Nick »

Nice start! I'm rocking 33's, all the cool kids are!
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
guard

Post by guard »

Nick wrote:Nice start! I'm rocking 33's, all the cool kids are!
Haha, nice! Glad I'm not alone...who doesn't wanna be a cool kid??
robertcrav
Let me google that for you
Bronco Info: Lana - Stock width c/t coil-overs/bypasses -- Sylvia - Stock width 4" Rancho kit on Billies

Re: Michael's 96 Bronco

Post by robertcrav »

Nice, I really like the winch install. Did they make a custom plate?
guard

Post by guard »

I was told it was a Warn factory mounting plate used.
D1cker1
Bronco Info: 93 EB Bronco 12"Over 40" BFG projects 5.13 gears in a 8.8... 1 seat and stripped Interior

Post by D1cker1 »

Any suspension modification on those 33's.? I'll need new tires before i can upgrade my suspension and bald 31's are not cutting it
Integrity, Money, Relevance
1amD1cker1@gmail.com
guard

Post by guard »

D1cker1 wrote:Any suspension modification on those 33's.? I'll need new tires before i can upgrade my suspension and bald 31's are not cutting it
No suspension mods at all, just a little bumper trimming. I do get very mild rubbing when fully articulating offroad, but nothing problematic. Gotta trim the bumper a little though, don't even notice it was done now.
Silverslk
Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Baur Bronco......GONE to a better home

Post by Silverslk »

guard wrote:
D1cker1 wrote:Any suspension modification on those 33's.? I'll need new tires before i can upgrade my suspension and bald 31's are not cutting it
No suspension mods at all, just a little bumper trimming. I do get very mild rubbing when fully articulating offroad, but nothing problematic. Gotta trim the bumper a little though, don't even notice it was done now.
You can also just space the bumper out a half inch and not cut at all.
SteveG wrote:The point? It's amazing these front ends go down the road straight in any form! The TTB is brute. A broad sword and not a scalpel. That's why I love it!
Kenny's 94
Bronco Info: 94 Bronco XLT, 2 1/2" RC lift, American AR-23 wheels, 33" BFG KO's.

Post by Kenny's 94 »

That is a nice job mounting the wench. What size wench is that?
Kenny
guard

Post by guard »

Kenny's 94 wrote:That is a nice job mounting the wench. What size wench is that?
Kenny
Thanks! It's a Warn 9.5xp winch
robertcrav
Let me google that for you
Bronco Info: Lana - Stock width c/t coil-overs/bypasses -- Sylvia - Stock width 4" Rancho kit on Billies

Michael's 96 Bronco

Post by robertcrav »

Could you snap a pic of the mounting plate from below, looking up at the frame please
guard

Post by guard »

robertcrav wrote:Could you snap a pic of the mounting plate from below, looking up at the frame please
I did my best to get some usable shots. Would have been easier on a lift, oh well. :P

guard

Post by guard »

Ok, update for you guys... At some point this month Mark @ Southwest Performance is taking on a new project. That's right, it's time to get some major suspension work done on a white '96 Bronco that I'm a majority shareholder of (if only I could share this project cost with a silent partner! :mrgreen: ). Some months ago I drove down to San Diego to see Mark's operation and discuss my desire to have him install a fabulous lift with some serious wheel travel. He's been guiding me along the process of recommended upgrades and lift strategy. Of course, since I've had a couple months to sit around and think about the lift, I've worked on additional projects that just HAVE to be done. Better braking, more underbody protection, the list goes on! Every week that goes by I end up finding just ONE MORE upgrade that needs to be done with the suspension lift... If I don't get this thing in his shop soon I'll have to sell a kidney to pay for it. :lol:

The one thing I've resisted is going up from 33" to 35" tires. I don't really want fiberglass (well, now I want a fiberglass hood... $#@T!!) and I don't want to have rubbing problems with the stock fenders, or any rubbing whatsoever. I also wanted to maintain a somewhat stock look, so not sure if I'm comfortable with cutting them up. I've already done a gearing change to 4:10's ft/rr, which is really optimal for 33's, not 35's. So I feel somewhat invested into my 33's strategy, although I know very well that 4:10 gearing + 35" tires is not a problem. However, I've had a feeling that's begun to creep into my head that I wish my plan had originally included 35's. I'm trying to stick to my guns! Mark's been really good, not making me feel like an idiot for doing 4:10 gearing and digging in on the 33's. The last email I sent Mark included a desire for underbody protection and an alignment problem I'm having (post Dishpan Springs trip). We're scheduled to get this lift started this week (ish), so I just couldn't help sharing an email I got from him this morning.
ill put a skid on the beams and i promise it wont pull. we are still basically on schedule but i will talk to you on tues for sure. i think some 35s are in your future.... lol
I laughed out loud while I was making the hour drive from my fiance's home in Loma Linda to my place in Anaheim... I know 35's seem to simply be the "right size" of tire to get the most out of these suspension lifts. Anyway, looks like 35's will be my next tire size! I suppose it was inevitable the way my Bronco plans keep evolving. I'm really just teasing Mark, he's a good guy and I know he's offering sound advice.

By the way, I really love the skid plate that Brian (aka Yikes) fabricated... is that somewhat along the lines of what you have in mind Mark? Might be fun to get it built with 7075 aluminum! Wonder if aluminum would hold up? Probably not. I hate weight...which is always expensive to care about :roll:

On this stage install list:
1. Crossover steering kit. 1 3/8 .375 4130 steering links all fk stainless hiems. Tig welded 4130 pitman and rocker box
2. Beams cut and turned boxed on the rear and 1 inch uniball pivots
3. Radius arms and pivot brackets. 1 inch stainless uniballs and with all grade 8 or better hardware
4. Coil-Over towers with crossbar and bumpstop mounts
5. Front finish out kit. Bilstein 9100 c/os, 4 springs, hydraulic bumpstops, limit straps, and stainless steel brake lines
6. add acv to front shocks

7. Rear shock mount underbody. Excepts 12 SAW and 12 short body Bilstein
8. Rear shackles 1 longer then stock with delrin bushings
9. Rear Deaver springs (Q80, something new!)
10. single link rear track bar
11. Rear 9100 Bilstein 60mm (2.65) body shocks (revised 1/13/12)

12. Custom belly pan..
13. rear Wilwood disk kit, with E-brake
14. Hydroboost brake upgrade
15. SAGINAW steering pump upgrade
16. Install Optima yellow top w/ Ruffstuff box http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/cat ... T-SIN.html
17. Upgrade to 1/0 gauge wiring and clean/simplify in engine compartment http://custombatterycables.com/applicat ... bronco.htm
18. Install G2 Aluminum diff cover rear
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetrain-a ... 240-2013AL

19. Mag-Hytec E40D/4R100 Deep Sump Transmission Pan http://www.mag-hytec.com/store/index.ph ... c54ccac9f9
20. Install Rigid D2 clear light set flush into stock bumper http://www.rigidindustries.com/D2-Set-o ... twod2s.htm
21. Repair front elocker
22. "sixliter" tuneup (MOTORCRAFT DG470 Ignition Coil, AUTOLITE 24 Spark Plugs, Motorcraft Distributor Cap Kit DH411B, Ford Racing M-12259-R301 9mm Ignition Wire Set)
23. Add front recovery hook (added 1/7/12)
24. Autofab engine & trans mounts (added 1/7/12)

25. Punisher Valve Body trans shift kit (added 1/7/12)
26. Upgrade the cooling line size of the E4OD (added 1/7/12)
27. Cooper Discoverer STT 35x12.5x15's

Unexpected additional project expenses:
28. New Protofab rear bumper w/ tire carrier http://www.protofab4x4.com/products.php?ID=00&ID2=74 (added 1/11/12)
29. 4.56 gearing (upgrading from 4.10's) (added 1/13/12)
30. Chromoly rear axles (added 1/21/12)
30. Remove ABS, add proportioning valve (added 1/13/12)
31. Install Rigid Dually amber light set flush into custom Protofab rear bumper (added 2/5/12)
32. Sunex Tools (SUN4904A) 4 Ton Capacity Bottle Jack (added 2/5/12)
33. Tom Woods custom driveshaft with 1-ton joints, clearanced for long-travel
34. Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller

Lubricants:
Motor Oil - Schaeffer Supreme 7000 Synthetic Plus 5W-30
ATF - Schaeffer #204S ALL TRANS Supreme Transmission Fluid
Power Steering Fluid - Schaeffer #204S ALL TRANS Supreme Transmission Fluid
Diff oil - Schaeffer #293 Supreme Gear Lube
Brake fluid - ATE Super Blue Racing brake fluid

Adjustments & minor adds: (added 1/7/12)
1-Calibrate speedo
2-align hood and front fenders
3-rough idle, ticking for 30 sec after start (6liter tuneup may remedy).
4-install H3R Performance HG100C HalGuard Fire Extinguisher - 1.4 lbs
5-minor axle truss w/ axle protection (added 1/13/12)
6-flush anchor ties for rear carpet to secure cargo (4x) (added 1/13/12)
7-fuel pump kill switch inside cab (added 1/13/12)
8-reroute last 2 ft of exhaust towards rear (hidden) instead of behind rear passenger tire (added 1/13/12)

Discussions:

I know Mark has this build well in hand and I can guarantee not all upgrade details are listed. However, any comments, suggestions, thoughts are welcome. I always enjoy "food for thought".

This Build is COMPLETE
Last edited by guard on Tue May 15, 2012 8:31 am, edited 36 times in total.
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

Good stuff Michael. You won't be disappointed with Marks suspension work. And 35s are a definite yes. They will be fine under the stock fenders. Just check out the post in race and trip reports and yu will see my brothers bronco and full bottom with stock fenders! No issues at all and he has the exact same kit your going with.
D1cker1
Bronco Info: 93 EB Bronco 12"Over 40" BFG projects 5.13 gears in a 8.8... 1 seat and stripped Interior

Post by D1cker1 »

Glad your going with 35's
What made you decide on Bilstein Coilovers?
Integrity, Money, Relevance
1amD1cker1@gmail.com
guard

Post by guard »

tcm glx wrote:Good stuff Michael. You won't be disappointed with Marks suspension work. And 35s are a definite yes. They will be fine under the stock fenders. Just check out the post in race and trip reports and you will see my brothers bronco and full bottom with stock fenders! No issues at all and he has the exact same kit your going with.
I will check it out, thanks for the encouragement Tony!
D1cker1 wrote:Glad your going with 35's
What made you decide on Bilstein Coilovers?
Mark's suggestion, he seems a bit partial to Bilstein. I've been using their lower end stuff for awhile now, really happy with it.
Mojo
Bronco Info: 96eb 5.8, custom SS exh, C&T/uniball, Heim R-arms, 35"bajas 4.88s F53 w/SOLO shackle PRPs

Post by Mojo »

Hey Michael your Bronco is gonna be SWEET!!! I have a twin to yours, 96 even. I just put the G2 diff cover on the rear of mine when having it regeared, I think it's a good choice. As for the front, the D44 TTB doesn't take a diff cover so you can save that money. I went with 35's on mine with 4.88's & absolutely love it, but mine is primarily for recreation.
guard

Post by guard »

During my last 4x4 adventure to the Lake Arrowhead area I picked up a couple screws in one of the pretty new 33" BFG all-terrain. I've only put about 6 or 7k miles on the tires, showed about 80% tread remaining (between 12 and 13 on Discount Tire's tread guage). But, their attempt to repair failed and I was left with a dilemma. Like my spare??

Trying to visualize my options :?

In the end, I was unable to pass up an opportunity to spend money on the Bronco... On went a fresh set of 35x12.5x15 Cooper Discoverer STT's that I had special ordered a couple days back! :lol: I can only back up in a straight line and I start rubbing going forward at about half-turn, but they look mean! Fortunately there's a flat bed coming today to pick up the Bronco and take it to Marks. I seem to recall you have to make it through the San Diego Wild Safari Park with all the man eating lions just to get there, don't think I'll mention that to the AAA tow truck driver. I know my last drive to Mark's hacienda was an adventure...