Utah BroncoSpeed

denhabr
Bronco Info: '96 XL 5.0L/E4OD "Autofab" Preunnner/Chase Truck by Utah's Ojive Industries & dp custom fab

Utah BroncoSpeed

Post by denhabr »

My '96 prerunner/chase build...brought here to GFB from it's original posting at FSB...

I would like to introduce my Salt Lake City-based BroncoSpeed chase/prerunner project that officially started April 7th, 2009. It is based on my 1996 XL 5.0/E4OD (with 169K miles, but is in pristine shape.) I purchased the Bronco in October 2008 specifically for this project, shortly after I got back from the 2008 ORE in Pomona.

Some details about the build:

The primary purpose of the truck will be for:

1. Daily driver transportation on SLC streets (50%)
2. Low speed off-road Utah, Colorado, and Nevada mountain/desert trail exploring (10%)
3. High-speed desert trail exploration/pre-running (30%)
4. Remaining activities (10%):

• Serving as a race worker for the Rally USA and California Rally Series Pro Rally events held in Southern California, Arizona, Nevada, and Idaho (2-3 events/year)
  • Spectating at various BORE, SCORE, VORRA, and other off-road racing events in Utah, Nevada, and California
  • Supporting various Ham Radio field day events in Utah and surrounding states

The vehicle will be built to meet these basic requirements:
  • - Provide high levels of off-road performance without sacrificing street manners
    - Be able to withstand and provide comfort on commutes
    - Smoothly idle in gear and not overheat in bumper-to-bumper traffic
    - Perform well in all types of weather environments (including snow) and handle all types of terrain
    - Can be "ridden hard and put away wet"...and do it all over again next weekend
    - Will not sacrifice interior comfort features like: A/C, cabin ventilation, radios, sunshades, door cranks, speakers/speaker placement

The Bronco will be built in phases:

Phase I: Initial vehicle modifications to achieve a fully turnkey operational vehicle that meets minimum standards summarized below:
  • Full safety cage (roll cage)
  • Mid-travel (16"-18") suspension work to achieve a mild lift and an increase in suspension travel (using as many off-the-shelf parts from reputable manufacturers as possible to save time and money);
  • F&R pre-runner style bumpers custom fabricated
  • Skid plates in select areas (as recommended by fabricator)
  • Hella Off-road lighting
  • 4.56 ring & pinions
  • Suspension seating for four passengers
  • Aftermarket 4-point safety harnesses x 4 seats
  • Existing Ford 10-hole aluminum wheels with 35" tires
  • Graphics (mild)
  • FSB "6-Litre tune-up" (See http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63592 which includes plugs, wires, distributor cap, coil, and a timing advance)
Phase I - "Optional Components": Additional features that may be added to Phase I if the budget and circumstances permit:
  • Fuel cell (DOT/EPA legal) <-- Cancelled July 2009
  • Rear disk brakes <-- Cancelled July 2009...moved to Phase II
  • Front disk brake enhancements
  • Bassani E.O. headers & Y-pipe/catalytic converter system
  • Cyclonic air filter <-- Included in Phase I, July 2009
  • Dual batteries
  • F&R fiberglass fenders <-- Cancelled August 2009
  • Additional engine/transmission cooling
  • Custom center console
  • Detroit (Eaton) True-Trac (rear first, then front) <-- Rear Tru-Trac included in Phase I
Phase II: Additional (read: $$$) functionality and features that add further capabilities to the Bronco - TBD

This will be an Autofab Bronco. I have heard enough good things about John's suspension systems (at FSB and here...) that there is no other real choice for my budget. My various conversations and e-mails with John have solidified my decision. In fact, I have the dual 2.5" res. shock 16" travel TTB system is on order as of mid-March, 2009.

Here is a quick list of initial parts:
  • Full cabin safety cage (DOM tubing, MIG welded)
  • Autofab 16" travel TTB system, for dual 2.5" SAW shocks per wheel
  • Autofab 18" travel 2-link leaf spring system, for single 2.5" SAW shocks per wheel
  • Sway-A-Way RaceRunner 2.5¨ remote reservoir shocks <-- Changed April 2009 to replace the originally designated F-O-A 2.5" smooth body remotes that I wanted vice the SAWs
  • 35x12.50-15 tires <-- Goodyear Silent Armors, 35x12.50-15's purchased May 2009
  • American Racing Outlaw II 15x8 wheels (already on the Bronco) <-- Correction: Ford 10-hole OEM wheels, 15x7.5", polished
  • 4.56:1 ring & pinions
  • F&R prerunner bumpers (DOM, MIG)
  • Hella 4000 lights (2 ea Euro Beam, 1 ea pencil beam) <-- Correction: 2 x Hella 4000s (Euro beam), 2 x Hella 500s (Euro beam)
  • Mastercraft or Beard suspension seats, 4 ea (Mastercraft "originals", or Beard "Super Seats") w/ sliders <-- Mastercraft "Originals" x 4
  • Mastercraft (or possibly a DOT-legal set) 2" 4-point restraints on all four seats

Fabricators: The fabricators that I have chosen are two local professionals that specialize in both off road long travel pre-runners and high performance racing vehicle fabrication.
Current modifications (installed by previous owner) on truck that 'may' be retained (for now...)
  • Magnaflow 3" cat-back exhaust
  • K&N panel filter (in stock air-box) <-- Correction July 2009: OEM airbox will be replaced by a Advanced Air System cyclonic paper filter housing
  • AR Outlaw II wheels (15x8) <-- Correction June 2009: These OEM wheels actually turned out to be Ford 10-hole 15x7.5" wheels!
I have a complete detailed project plan and parts/labor pricing matrix (.pdf's) that I am willing to share. Just PM me.

I also look forward to documenting (narratives, pics) the entire build here (and at Broncospeed.com,) and I invite feedback from all. Thanks!

Some "before" photos attached below...and since I can only upload three photos at a time, I'll add more below!
Right front quarter view...
Right front quarter view...
BSF - Exterior - RFQ.JPG (151.21 KiB) Viewed 6747 times
Left rear quarter view...
Left rear quarter view...
BSF - Exterior - LRQ.JPG (161.12 KiB) Viewed 6747 times
Interior...yuk Ford Blue.  Wish it was the tan color...oh well
Interior...yuk Ford Blue. Wish it was the tan color...oh well
BSF - Interior - L Drivers Seat & Dash.JPG (146.21 KiB) Viewed 6747 times

'96 XL 5.0L/E4OD Preunnner/Chase Truck by Ojive Industries (HoleShotOffroad) & dp custom fab
Autofab Mastercraft RaceRunner Bassani Magnaflow Hella Generals Yukon EatonTT AACS PATC FRPP Accel
denhabr
Bronco Info: '96 XL 5.0L/E4OD "Autofab" Preunnner/Chase Truck by Utah's Ojive Industries & dp custom fab

More content...Shocks!

Post by denhabr »

Quote: Originally Posted by steveG (from FSB...)
...One question. Aren't FOA shocks too long for John's off-the-shelf shock mount offerings?
SteveG...yes, you are correct. After double checking and comparing the 16", 10", and 12" travel shocks from SAW (John's recommendation) and the equivalent travel shocks from F-O-A, the 10" shocks are ~1.5" to 2.0" too long in both the compressed and extended lengths.

After talking to my fabricators, I could easily eat up the price 'savings' in additional shock mounting fabrication and fitting charges... So, I adjusted my budget, and took their advice (and the sage advice of John at Autofab,) and will be going with six Sway-A-Way 2.5 remote reservoir shocks as follows:
  • 16" travel x 2 (front axle, forward of TTB) - SAW #56000-116 (24.05" compressed / 40.57" extended)
  • 10" travel x 2 (front axle, behind TTB) - SAW #56000-110 (16.37" compressed / 26.90" extended)
  • 12" travel x 2 (rear axle) - SAW #56000-112 (19.05" compressed / 31.57" extended)
Now I'm searching for SAW shock retailers/suppliers at this time...found two that offer each shock at $350+shipping or $359 (shipping included.)

Again, thanks for pointing out the length issue...saved me a lot of heartache :roll:

'96 XL 5.0L/E4OD Preunnner/Chase Truck by Ojive Industries (HoleShotOffroad) & dp custom fab
Autofab Mastercraft RaceRunner Bassani Magnaflow Hella Generals Yukon EatonTT AACS PATC FRPP Accel
damon1272

Re: Utah BroncoSpeed

Post by damon1272 »

Glad to see that you are posting over here. Looking forward to see the completion of this clean truck.
denhabr

In the shop...

Post by denhabr »

It's in the shop, and the tear down has begun...

First task involved taking out are the front beams (gotta' get them back to Autofab to avoid the core charge!), the radius arms, axles, third member, etc.

Right front hub had water/rust in it...bad inner seal according to my fabricators. Leaning towards installing the F&R TrueTracs along with the 4.56:1 ring & pinions while everything is out. Just makes sense rather than paying twice to have it all torn out again and replaced.

Any suggestions on how to finish the beams, radius arms, shock tower, etc? Powder coating? Paint? Line-X? Other?

Got one of the original wheels/tires home for further inspection...only to find out that the wheels are Ford products! They have the Ford oval logo and "15x7.5 J DOT" stamped inside the back of the rim. I've never seen these on a Bronco or F-150 before (haven't been paying attention, I guess.)

I HAVE seen the smooth and polished "Alcoa looking" 10-hole wheels w/o the rivets, but my wheels are the 10-hole models WITH rivets (a la American Racing Outlaw II's, which is what I thought they were.) I guess I should have noticed the three small mounting holes that are located around the center hole (mounts the center cap via three stainless screws.) I think these wheels are keepers. Off to the polishing shop here in nearby Murray, UT for an estimate tomorrow.

The DOM tubing has been ordered for the cage and F&R bumpers. On Monday, I'll get the shocks and seats ordered, and the follow-up order with John at Autofab for the rear 18" suspension system.

The pictures:

The Bronco in the shop:
Bronco Fab Set 1 - 4-24-2009 (2).JPG
Bronco Fab Set 1 - 4-24-2009 (2).JPG (131.91 KiB) Viewed 6739 times
The old beams...soon off to Autofab for some other customer:
Bronco Fab Set 1 - 4-24-2009 (3).JPG
Bronco Fab Set 1 - 4-24-2009 (3).JPG (130.42 KiB) Viewed 6739 times
Driver's side teardown:
Bronco Fab Set 1 - 4-24-2009 (4).JPG
Bronco Fab Set 1 - 4-24-2009 (4).JPG (144.4 KiB) Viewed 6739 times

denhabr

More content...My Wheel Plan

Post by denhabr »

Ford OEM 15x7.5 "Alcoa" wheels (Hollander 3135):
Hollander 3135:
Hollander 3135:
Ford F-150 & Bronco Aluminum Wheel 10-hole 3135.jpg (29.23 KiB) Viewed 6738 times
Ford OEM 15x7.5 "10-hole" American Racing Outlaw II w/ rivits look-alikes...which is what I have now, and will keep until further notice:
Hollander 1701:
Hollander 1701:
Ford F-150 & Bronco Aluminum Wheel with Rivets H1701.jpg (28.07 KiB) Viewed 6738 times
American Racing AR-23 wheels...someday:
American Racing AR-23s:
American Racing AR-23s:
AR-23 Wheel.jpg (35.33 KiB) Viewed 6738 times

denhabr

Parts, and more wheel content...

Post by denhabr »

John at Autofab has completed the build of the beams, the front 16" suspension system, and the rear 18" system. They are on a truck to the shop here in Utah for installation. John received my cores last Wednesday.

The DOM tubing for the safety cage and F&R bumpers has been ordered by my fabricator and is on the way.

I ordered six S-A-W 2.5" reservoir shocks, 2x16" of travel (56000-116), 2x10" of travel (56000-110), and 2x12" of travel (56000-112), all at $349 ea, with free shipping.

Monday I order the seats...

Wheels:

Here is a picture of the one wheel I have home from the shop. They map to Hollander #1701, are 15x7.5", and have 4" backspacing. It has 3 holes in the center hub to mount the chrome Ford center caps, and has small plastic core inserts (where the 3 mounting bolts go,) which can be removed from the backside during polishing/cleaning. The same wheels (fully polished) off the internet go for $195 ea, so I'll put some extra effort into getting these cleaned up.
Ford Wheel Before Reconditioning - 4-27-09 (1).JPG
Ford Wheel Before Reconditioning - 4-27-09 (1).JPG (101.9 KiB) Viewed 6735 times
Ford Wheel Before Reconditioning - 4-27-09 (6).JPG
Ford Wheel Before Reconditioning - 4-27-09 (6).JPG (36.85 KiB) Viewed 6735 times
The 20 "rivets" are simply cosmetic and can be removed by punching them out from the backside for cleaning/polishing.
Ford Wheel Before Reconditioning - 4-27-09 (4).JPG
Ford Wheel Before Reconditioning - 4-27-09 (4).JPG (53.42 KiB) Viewed 6735 times
Since a local polishing shop wanted $75.00/wheel, I'm going to give it some TLC, a lot of elbow grease, and try to clean the wheels up myself. I will start with the removal of the 20 rivets (and the three mounting sleeves for the center cap,) followed by removal of the clear coat (aircraft stripper), and then hand polishing with steel wool and Brasso. Then I'll try a power ball, and some good aluminum polish and go to town. I'll finish the backside off with some scrubbing and maybe a light coat of light grey spray paint (so I never have to deal with the backside again...)

If the resulting finish is not up to my standards...I'll just get them powder coated a nice high-gloss silver (or as close to the polished aluminum look as possible) and call it a day (read: no more polishing!)

denhabr

Autofab Suspension and SAW Shocks...

Post by denhabr »

The Autofab front & rear suspension systems arrived at the shop by truck freight on Tuesday. Freight from Santee to Centerville, UT was ~ $405.00 for about 400 lbs. of steel. Ouch.
Bronco Fab Set 2 Autofab Susp & SAW Shocks - 5-6-09 (5).JPG
Bronco Fab Set 2 Autofab Susp & SAW Shocks - 5-6-09 (5).JPG (83.8 KiB) Viewed 6733 times
Bronco Fab Set 2 Autofab Susp & SAW Shocks - 5-6-09 (7).JPG
Bronco Fab Set 2 Autofab Susp & SAW Shocks - 5-6-09 (7).JPG (66.03 KiB) Viewed 6733 times
The six Sway-A-Way's arrived in from Kustom 1 Warehouse also on Tuesday, pictures are below...nicely laid out on the front driveway.
Bronco Fab Set 2 Autofab Susp & SAW Shocks - 5-6-09 (3).JPG
Bronco Fab Set 2 Autofab Susp & SAW Shocks - 5-6-09 (3).JPG (72.38 KiB) Viewed 6733 times
Today, I ordered the 4.56 r&p's (Yukon), master installation kits (Yukon), new high pinion Dana 44 (reverse) r&p carrier for the front TTB, and a TrueTrac for the Ford 8.8.

The four Mastercraft "Original" seats in grey cloth/grey vinyl, with blue cloth center seating surfaces (and black piping) are also on order.

The fabricators tear into the dash for the forward roll cage section on Saturday. May try and get up to the shop for some more pics...

Any suggestions for some heavy duty lug nuts? 1/2" cone style? Open end? Will be staying with 1/2" studs for now...maybe 9/16th's later on down the road when I get my disk brakes installed on the 8.8 rear.

denhabr

Front Suspension Work...

Post by denhabr »

I made a command decision with the wheels. I decided to keep the OEM Ford 10-hole 'riveted' 15x7.5 wheels, and got them polished. I went back to the place that did my engine/chassis steam cleaning last November, and since their specialty is semi-truck detailing (they routinely polish those large 22.5" over-the-road Alcoa wheels on a daily basis,) they did all four of my wheels for ~ $103.00! They turned out pretty nice...not show quality, but this is a off-road Bronco!

I then got them over to the Goodyear shop and had them mount and balance my four new Goodyear Silent Armor 35x12.5-15's. They look sharp!!! Nice A/T tread with broad and square-shouldered carcass. Of course, I had some nice photos of the mounted tires/wheels on the front lawn...and they ended up on that same PC at home... Ugh.

Haven't heard from Autofab about where my Mastercraft seats are... I'll have to drop John a call tomorrow.

Shock tower comparo:
Bronco Fab Set 3 - F Suspension (dpf) (1) - 5-28-09.jpg
Bronco Fab Set 3 - F Suspension (dpf) (1) - 5-28-09.jpg (123.29 KiB) Viewed 6732 times
Front Dana 44 4.56:1 r&p installed:
Bronco Fab Set 3 - F Suspension (dpf) (2) - 5-28-09.jpg
Bronco Fab Set 3 - F Suspension (dpf) (2) - 5-28-09.jpg (112.23 KiB) Viewed 6732 times
Driver's side shock hoop from above:
Bronco Fab Set 3 - F Suspension (dpf) (5) - 5-28-09.jpg
Bronco Fab Set 3 - F Suspension (dpf) (5) - 5-28-09.jpg (133.65 KiB) Viewed 6732 times

Nick
Founder
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target

Post by Nick »

Glad you made time to post your build Brad!
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
denhabr

Tires & Wheels...

Post by denhabr »

Here they are: Goodyear Silent Armors in 35x12.50-15 sizing mounted on the polished Ford OEM 10-hole 15x7.5 wheels...

Question: Should I mount the wheels with the center caps, or leave them off for the full "race-look?" I'll respond to everyone's comments/remarks later today. Appreciate the questions, suggestions, and feedback...

New tires & wheels:
Goodyear Silent Armor 35x12.5-15 & Polished Wheels (1).JPG
Goodyear Silent Armor 35x12.5-15 & Polished Wheels (1).JPG (83.35 KiB) Viewed 6731 times
Tread design on the Goodyears:
Goodyear Silent Armor 35x12.5-15 & Polished Wheels (3).JPG
Goodyear Silent Armor 35x12.5-15 & Polished Wheels (3).JPG (73.38 KiB) Viewed 6731 times
With center-caps installed:
Goodyear Silent Armor 35x12.5-15 & Polished Wheels (5).JPG
Goodyear Silent Armor 35x12.5-15 & Polished Wheels (5).JPG (98.72 KiB) Viewed 6731 times

denhabr

More content...

Post by denhabr »

Quote: Originally Posted by Drilim
I've been on the shelf about spending the coin to get a set of single shock mount autofab buckets to mount up my saw 2.5x10's. I think your last pictures sold me. damn you.

It doesnt look like it in the picture, but I could be wrong : Did you get the coil adjuster buckets? If not, what made up your mind other than the difference in $$$??
Actually, when I first saw what John shipped...I had to call him and ask if he included the coil adjuster buckets 'at no charge.' He said that he welds the adjusting nut (on the top of the coil buckets) to ALL of his kits now. That way, if the owner wants the adjuster later, John can ship it and the owner can install it w/o having to send back the original bucket assembly for modifications.

I decided to hold on the extra cost of the adjusters ($200) and see how John's springs hold up first.

Quote: Originally Posted by stan the man
Those look like the adjustable buckets, you can see the big ass nut on the top of the bucket. How much were those buckets/engine bar?
The complete front end from Autofab totaled $3,100 ($2,850 for the kit + $250 for additional gusseting of the beams), plus shipping to Utah. This was for the Autofab 16" travel Bronco/F-150 TTB system for dual 2.5" Sway-A-Way shocks.

Quote: Originally Posted by TCM GLX
In the second to last picture, the engine brace looks like it only has spot welds on the corners, is that right or is my vision playing tricks on me.
As Dirtball stated below, those are just temporary spot-welds to fit and place the parts, prior to final TIG welding.

Quote: Originally Posted by Dirtball
I think I remember reading somewhere autofab does that because engine compartments can vary from truck to truck, so you have to make a custom brace. But look in the same picture, is that seam in the tubing?
Better not be a seam! I paid for mild-steel DOM seamless for the cage, F&R bumpers, and any extra bracing. I will have my fabricator double check it again, though! Thanks.

Quote: Originally Posted by convoy
I've been looking into AT tires to replace the BFG muds and the silent armors was one I was considering. Post up pics of those when you can I would love to see what they look mounted and how they perfrom.
See pictures above!

Quote: Originally Posted by steveG
Yup. Final location depends on under-hood options. Looking good, Brad. That's going to be a sweet rig!
Thank you SteveG!

Quote: Originally Posted by yogib
Havent had a chance to read your whole post.But if your needing a cage and have some skills.A good friend of mine has all the measurements and could bend you up the tubes for the whole front cage.He does awesome work and knows the bends probably in his head, because he does so many bronco cages.Then all you have to do is notch,weld,and gusset.All 2" dom. except tubes by windshield / \ 1 1/4",beside seat,and under dash.those are 1 3/4" I believe.
Thanks yogib, but my fabricators are building a full custom cage for me from the ground up...all DOM mild steel tubing. My primary fabricator (a CAD designer) built himself a gorgeous 2WD Ranger that appeared in Off-Road Magazine in 2004 at:
(http://www.off-roadweb.com/features/...cab/index.html), so I am relying upon him and his senior welder to do this up right. I hope I will have some pictures of the interior/cage here this coming week.

Quote: Originally Posted by TCM GLX
Wheels came out great polished! Loose the center caps.
1 vote against center caps!

Quote: Originally Posted by steveG
That's a good looking tire, Brad. The local Park Rangers (Oceano Dunes) use those with pretty good success.
Thanks. I just like the square shoulder look myself. I was really hoping M/T would bring back the old-school Baja Kings in 35" radial, but no such luck.

Quote: Originally Posted by Brokenbronco
Very well thought out build! I haven't replied to your thread because to be honest, i'm a bit jealous. But i'm over it, and very excited to see how this all comes out. Keep up the good work! Nick.
Thanks Nick for the nice comment and appreciate the honesty. Hey, I drooled on my keyboard looking at many other projects on-line over many years... I know the feeling.

Quote: Originally Posted by mda
Keep the caps. That black looks interesting.
1 vote FOR the center caps! Tied at 1 each!

Quote: Originally Posted by Drilim
I like this build a ton. I have a set of the newer style oem rims without rivets that I've been considering switching back to. Im very over the look and driveability of the black steelies i have now.

Congrats.
Thanks. I was thinking at one time, of having this look like a Ford Bronco version of the M1009 CUCV (the mid-90's Army version of the Chevy Blazer 6.2L Diesel 4x4.) I even wanted to use Stockton HD 4x4 steel wheels, and apply a woodland camo paint job! Think old-school COMBATT truck, er...Bronco. But then I came to my senses...

denhabr

Post by denhabr »

I stopped off at the shop yesterday (June 12, 2009), and inspected the cross bar myself. GOOD EYES! It is a seam. However, my fabricator agreed with SteveG...in that the cross bar is there to simply stabilize the shock hoops from splaying inward (or outward,) and holds light loads as compared to other components. Won't be an issue.

Here are the shots of the Bronco from my visit yesterday afternoon...

The Obligatory Side-Mockup Shot...with the tires rolled into place in front of the hubs (or where the hubs should be...and yes, the rear suspension is still the OEM stuff...the guys will move to the rear later this week when the F shocks, axles, etc are all in place.) Suspect that the actual final body height isn't quite right, however, this gave me an idea of what it will kinda' look like when complete. Good looking profile, IMHO...
Bronco Fab Set 4 - Jun 12 09 (1).JPG
Bronco Fab Set 4 - Jun 12 09 (1).JPG (94.26 KiB) Viewed 6745 times
Still not sure, about fiberglass...yet. I've asked my fabricators to put 'er all together, bolt on the wheels, and set it down on the suspension to see where it looks like the tires will hit. Frankly, I like the look of the OEM steel...just wish I could radius the F&R wheel wells ever so slightly to provide the clearance I need. My fabricators say I may be OK with the rear, but the front wheel wells are going to be another story.

Drooped Driver's Side Beam and Radius Arm:
Bronco Fab Set 4 - Jun 12 09 (5).JPG
Bronco Fab Set 4 - Jun 12 09 (5).JPG (73.43 KiB) Viewed 6745 times
TTB/Radius Arm attachment Close-Up:
Bronco Fab Set 4 - Jun 12 09 (8).JPG
Bronco Fab Set 4 - Jun 12 09 (8).JPG (97.81 KiB) Viewed 6745 times
There is A LOT of stuff I'll need to get the guys to relocate in the engine bay. The entire air filter box is toast, so is the battery; both need to be relocated...somewhere. It's amazing how all the room disappears when the shock hoops are in place, and the crossbar is positioned. Ugh.

denhabr

More content...and replies from B-speeders...

Post by denhabr »

Re: Fiberglass fenders
Originally Posted by denhabr: Rear Wheel/Wheel Well Close-Up: Still not sure about fiberglass...yet. I've asked my fabricators to put 'er all together, bolt on the wheels, and set it down on the suspension to see where it looks like the tires will hit. Frankly, I like the look of the OEM steel...just wish I could radius the F&R wheel wells ever so slightly to provide the clearance I need. My fabricators say I may be OK with the rear, but the front wheel wells are going to be another story.
MDA replied: I serious doubt you will have any "fender" issues with that lift and tire size. The area you will need to cut is the back edges of the front bumper. Mark a line from the top to the bottom following the flow of the fender. Lop that off and your set.

Looking good.

--------------------------------------

Re: OEM alloys/caps & glass fenders

PWMTN replied: You can use the caps for if you keep the 1/2" lugs. They look good. I have 5/8" lugs with washer nuts so the caps don't fit. When I get some time I will open up the holes in the caps and see if I can mount them over the big nuts (1-1/8" socket required). With caps you end up with the sleeper look just like the minimal glass fender use. Some like it, some don't.

Glass fenders: With 33s the Autofab with the least flare work fine if you have the stock beam width. 35s with this fenders at full lock and full compression the rear will hit the fender. For extended beams you will need the bigger flare fenders for 33 or 35s. If you use wheels that are not stock dimensions none of this apples. My wheels are the smooth OEM Alcoas that came on the 96 (7.5x15). Nice because the washer nuts fit without the need for machine work. IMO, If you plan on beating hard on the Bronco or using it in Baja you should used forged wheels, 5.8" studs, & washer nuts. Otherwise be ready for wheel failures.

Paul

denhabr

More content...from last June's update...

Post by denhabr »

Quote: Originally Posted by Drilim...
Very interesting. I called autofab about 4 weeks ago to get a prices on the coil buckets with/without. I talked to John and he never mentioned that they are building them now to 'retrofit' after the fact. Thats really nice to know because I'd like to snatch them and then possible add the adjusters later after I establish if they are a must have.

Project is coming along really nice.
Yeah, they just arrived that way from John. Maybe he only does the adjusting nut on the dual 2.5" version long travel systems. Not sure, but worth asking. Thanks for the comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mda...
I serious doubt you will have any "fender" issues with that lift and tire size. The area you will need to cut is the back edges of the front bumper. Mark a line from the top to the bottom following the flow of the fender. Lop that off and your set. Looking good.
All the bumpers are gonna' end up in the dumpster anyway! Both front and read bumpers will be replaced with full-fabbed prerunner style bumpers, so there should be zero issues with tire contact, a least in the front. In the rear, I will roll the inner fender lip to give me that extra 1/2". I told my fabricators today that they'll need to radius the lower leading portion of the front bumper as well. So, once it is all together, we'll see just how close it all comes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWMTN ...
You can use the caps for if you keep the 1/2" lugs. They look good. I have 5/8" lugs with washer nuts so the caps don't fit. When I get some time I will open up the holes in the caps and see if I can mount them over the big nuts (1-1/8" socket required). With caps you end up with the sleeper look just like the minimal glass fender use. Some like it, some don't.

Glass fenders: With 33s the Autofab with the least flare work fine if you have the stock beam width. 35s with this fenders at full lock and full compression the rear will hit the fender. For extended beams you will need the bigger flare fenders for 33 or 35s. If you use wheels that are not stock dimensions none of this apples. My wheels are the smooth OEM Alcoas that came on the 96 (7.5x15). Nice because the washer nuts fit without the need for machine work.

IMO, If you plan on beating hard on the Bronco or using it in Baja you should used forged wheels, 5.8" studs, & washer nuts. Otherwise be ready for wheel failures.
Paul
I think I will keep the caps for now. They're all polished up and lookin' pretty, ready for the truck when it gets home. That's right...the sleeper look!

(See upcoming post on my new HD 1/2" lugnuts, Hollander #611-171.)

I like those smooth Alcoas too. They do look nice.

So if I were to convert to 5/8ths lugs, do I have to convert to non-cone style lugs nuts?

Actually I like the flat-faced lug nuts I often see on race trucks...often gold anodized. If I went that way, would I have to spot face around the lug holes to flatten the surface? Do you use washers with yours? See the two photos below. I took the pic of the AR-23 wheel on the FabTech Ranger back in the mid-90's...it has the racing style lug nuts with the wide mating surface (and yes, two nuts are missing.) The other AR-23 close up is from a Bronco Prerunner I shot at a VORRA Race in Fallon NV in 2001. He too uses the larger flat faced nut. This is the style of lug and nut I want eventually for my Bronco...gold anodized nuts of course!

Picture 1: FabTech Ranger BFG Baja T/A on an AR-23 with extended racing lugs and nuts.
AR-23 Wheel with Racing Lug Nuts - small.jpg
AR-23 Wheel with Racing Lug Nuts - small.jpg (76.25 KiB) Viewed 6729 times
Picture 2: Bronco Prerunner with yellow-label Goodyear racing tires on AR-23, also with extended racing lugs and nuts...seen in Yerington, NV in the summer of 2001 (back when I crewed for the Class 8 "Battle-Born Racing" F-150)
Bronco Prerunner Lug Nuts - Fallon NV 2001 (close-up) - small.jpg
Bronco Prerunner Lug Nuts - Fallon NV 2001 (close-up) - small.jpg (92.78 KiB) Viewed 6729 times

denhabr

Mastercraft Seats!

Post by denhabr »

The custom-ordered Mastercraft "Originals" arrive. http://www.mastercraftseats.com/original.php . I purchased these from John at Autofab...and he gave me a good price (Mastercraft is right across the freeway from John's shop...), and he is an authorized dealer.

Two were ordered in +2" width (for the front, to fit my fat 6' 1", 210 lb. frame), and two were ordered +1" width (for the rear passengers...to fit my oldest son's 6' 4", 210 lb. USA Rugby All-American body...to be located between the rear wheel-wells.)

Selected the blue and grey color scheme to match the OEM Ford Blue (bleh...still hate that color.)

Pics: Christmas in June!
Bronco Fab Set 5 - Jun 19 2009 (1).JPG
Bronco Fab Set 5 - Jun 19 2009 (1).JPG (103.6 KiB) Viewed 6728 times
Front view:
Bronco Fab Set 5 - Jun 19 2009 (2).JPG
Bronco Fab Set 5 - Jun 19 2009 (2).JPG (103.85 KiB) Viewed 6728 times
Side...
Bronco Fab Set 5 - Jun 19 2009 (3).JPG
Bronco Fab Set 5 - Jun 19 2009 (3).JPG (101.89 KiB) Viewed 6728 times

denhabr

August 2009 Update...

Post by denhabr »

Things are finally picking up again (August 2009...) The primary fabricator is back at work on the Bronco, now wrapping up the front suspension this week with TTB beam gusseting and boxing...focusing a lot of work on the driver's beam.

Attached are some shots of their latest work of the driver's beam...

? ? ? Question: So, with a 4" Autofab 'lift', and with new-found travel front and back (16" and 18"), what length of new brake lines lines should I purchase?

I checked in with Crown Performance, and the stock OEM lines are 22" in the front, and 18" in the rear. Do I just go with a 4" extended line...or do I have to compensate for the travel as well? Is there some sort of algorithm I could use? The contact person at Crown just left it up to me.

Anyone other brake line manufacturer you folks recommend?

My fabricators move on to the rear 8.8" and suspension later this week. Maybe I'll have some shots of the 8.8 out, 4.56 r&p with the TruTrac install, truss work, aluminum FMS diff cover, and the Autofab leafs/upper shock mounts in soon!

TTB Gusset Detail...
TTB Gusset - Front of Driver Side (18 Aug 09) 1.jpg
TTB Gusset - Front of Driver Side (18 Aug 09) 1.jpg (157.13 KiB) Viewed 6726 times
TTB Gusset - Front of Driver Side (18 Aug 09) 2.jpg
TTB Gusset - Front of Driver Side (18 Aug 09) 2.jpg (132.08 KiB) Viewed 6726 times
TTB Gusset - Front of Driver Side (18 Aug 09) 3.jpg
TTB Gusset - Front of Driver Side (18 Aug 09) 3.jpg (128.22 KiB) Viewed 6726 times

denhabr

Post by denhabr »

Quote:
Originally posted by steveg...
You crazy kids and your trusses.
Quote:
Originally posted by Yikes...
Admit it Steve. Trusses are cool. I like the skidplate. Strikingly familiar.

:lol:

denhabr

More from August 2009...

Post by denhabr »

The TTB is in, bolted up, shocks positioned and springs in place...and getting checked for final clearances. Numerous calls back to John to find out the optimal location to mount the limit straps.

Note to potential Autofab dual 2.5" shock TTB system buyers: When you purchase the 10" travel TTB S-A-W shocks (the ones that go behind the spring; see previous posts for part numbers,) order them with a 90-degree remote reservoir adapters. The proximity of the engine compartment wiring (and related crap) on driver's side necessitates a 90-degree fitting coming off the top cap of the shock. And worse, the lower portion of the A/C box (see photo 3) on the passenger side REALLY requires a 90-degree fitting...Big Time! Anyone else run into this issue?

I wish I would have known about that 90-degree fitting when I ordered the shocks.

Also, my fab guys clearanced the front truss slightly where the box-section made about an 1/8" contact with the TTB support. See the close-up photo to see where they scalloped out a section and welded it up. Also note some of the other support plating, doubling, and tabbing they did before reassembly.

The guys are having a lot of fun getting the right seals back on the front hubs and rotors. A real PITA, from what they tell me. Buying the 'right' kit is more of an art than a science...especially when Checkers Auto Parts lists 99 different part numbers for the seals. Glad it's them and not me. I'd be swearing up a storm.

They also got the 8.8" axle and rear leafs out yesterday. Took the center section apart pulled out the two axles. They told me the passenger side axle is 'toast' (I haven't seen it face to face, so I'm not sure what 'toast' means.) Any suggestions for a source for some new 31-spline HD axles to replace the stockers?

What about an 8.8 diff cover? Mag-Hytec? FMS? Other?

Ordering the disk brake kit from TSM Manufacturing, http://www.tsmmfg.com/2530.htm. $590.00 with calipers. <-- Rear disk brakes cancelled August 2009

The revised 'scalloped' truss section on the driver' side TTB...
Bronco Fab Set 6 - 8-28-2009 (1).JPG
Bronco Fab Set 6 - 8-28-2009 (1).JPG (112 KiB) Viewed 6722 times
The shocks are installed...
Bronco Fab Set 6 - 8-28-2009 (3).JPG
Bronco Fab Set 6 - 8-28-2009 (3).JPG (131.13 KiB) Viewed 6722 times
A shot of how close the rear 10" SAW shock is to the A/C evaporator housing...
Bronco Fab Set 6 - 8-28-2009 (5).JPG
Bronco Fab Set 6 - 8-28-2009 (5).JPG (126.01 KiB) Viewed 6722 times

denhabr

Some Reinforcement Details...and Axles...

Post by denhabr »

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy...
That looks great. Where did you decide to mount the limit straps?
Haven't yet, but my fabricators have been talking with John there at Autofab for his recommendation(s)...so we'll go with what he has, I guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveG...
Yes, reservoir hose clearance for the passenger rear shock is super tight. This would be a good application for shocks with the reservoir ported off the bottom of the shock body. The radius arms have a spot for the limit strap. I went straight up from there and mounted the upper end of the strap on the frame.
Thanks. I'll copy down your pictures and send it to my fabricators. That (with what advice John offers) will help them find the right location. Agreed on porting the reservoir off the bottom of the housing. Weird that Autofab placed it that close to the A/C box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunit...
Here is a link to Moser engineering they can provide you with alloy axles. http://www.moserengineering.com/Page...stomalloy.html

Let me make a suggestion to you with regards to the disk brake set up if you want to stay with the 8.8: buy a take out axle complete from a 97-03 F150. They are disk brake already and if you go with the alloy shafts just specify that you want 5 x5.5 bolt pattern ( the later trucks used a metric 5 x135mm bolt pattern.) and re-drill the rotors. I am very confident that you can buy the complete axle including calipers a e brake set up for less than $500. I purchased several of them when I was racing in Stock Full. You should consider the C-clip eliminator kit as well. I used the Ford Motorsports cover on my race truck.

Nice axles there. I'm afraid the Mosers are a bit out of my budget for now...as I wasn't expecting to have to purchase axles right now. I budgeted for the disk brake kit, but not another $250-$400 for axles. Crap. I thought about that too, but right now, I'm a bit limited on time away from work to devote to axle hunting (although hitting junk yards is a great national past time!) I've even thought about a complete Currie Prerunner 9" done up right, but I already have the r&p and the TruTrac purchased for the 8.8.

Has anyone had any experience with Bronco Graveyard's axle kits? Like this one kit with 2 axles, wheel bearings, seals and studs and a 5-year warranty (on the shafts) for $179.00? Here: http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-323 ... studs_.htm

Kinda' new to axle buying... :roll:

Some shots of the reinforcement work to the TTB mounts...
Bronco Fab Set 6 - 8-28-2009 (9).JPG
Bronco Fab Set 6 - 8-28-2009 (9).JPG (107.79 KiB) Viewed 6722 times
Bronco Fab Set 6 - 8-28-2009 (10).JPG
Bronco Fab Set 6 - 8-28-2009 (10).JPG (105.37 KiB) Viewed 6722 times

denhabr

Shock Mounts & 8.8 Axles...

Post by denhabr »

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveG...
That's funny, I was thinking that it was weird that Ford put the A/C Box so close to the Autofab mount. Ha! There's not a lot of room there to begin with. It's just the way it works out. Like I said before, porting the reservoir off the bottom of the shock would be ideal.
HA! Just what the hell was Ford thinking, eh? I spoke to Darren at Autofab yesterday (John's fabricator) and they are intimately aware of the proximity of the rear 10" upper shock mount. He fabricates a special tight 90 degree res hose fitting that resolves the issue, but I'll rely upon my fabricators to figure out something...first step is to contact S-A-W and see what is available off the parts shelf.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokenbronco...
I wouldn't be surprised if those are name brand axles, JBG buys in bulk, so they get good prices from top notch suppliers.
You're right. JBG replied the other day and said that their axles are Yukons. So, I checked back with my ring gear/TrueTrac supplier (Wayne @ http://www.alljeep.com) and got a complete set of Yukon 1541h alloy axles (R: YA F880007 & L: YA F880008, wheel bearings, seals, and new 1/2"-20 studs for $190 to the door.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Next steps are the trussing of the axle housing (yeah, you know us young 49-year-olds love our trusses!), reassembly, and reinstall.

I also purchased some new Ford OEM leaf spring eye bolts, and will use Royal Purple 75W-140 in the front (the owner's manual says "4x4 Gear Oil" F1TZ-19580-A in the D44. The Ford parts man says that has been superseded by XY-75W140-QL...which is nothing more than 75W-140 lube) and some F1TZ-19580-B "Motorcraft High Performance Rear Axle Lube" in 80W-90 for the 8.8, non-synthetic. Apparently Eaton does not recommend synthetics with the TrueTrac diff.

And now for some sexy axle pictures...
Bronco Fab Set 7 - 9-4-2009 (2).JPG
Bronco Fab Set 7 - 9-4-2009 (2).JPG (90.59 KiB) Viewed 6722 times
Bronco Fab Set 7 - 9-4-2009 (3).JPG
Bronco Fab Set 7 - 9-4-2009 (3).JPG (89.15 KiB) Viewed 6722 times
Close-up on the damaged passenger's side OEM axle...
Bronco Fab Set 7 - 9-4-2009 (5).JPG
Bronco Fab Set 7 - 9-4-2009 (5).JPG (73.85 KiB) Viewed 6722 times