Utah BroncoSpeed

denhabr
Bronco Info: '96 XL 5.0L/E4OD "Autofab" Preunnner/Chase Truck by Utah's Ojive Industries & dp custom fab

Re: Utah BroncoSpeed - Big Update Time!

Post by denhabr »

Well, it's been nearly three years since I updated my '96 Utah Broncospeed build on GFB...so I thought I had better get my ass in gear and get this site refreshed a bit.

All the way back to September 2014...my interior upgrade!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yup, been awhile...in fact, no postings since September 30th of 2012! Damn...

Soooo, I thought I'd provide an update on my latest enhancement...a brand new interior! Something I've been wanting to do since I got the Bronco out of the fab shop back in February of 2010....and now it's done. Gone are: the 6 open holes/gaps in the floor where the safety cage tubing passes through...the bare floor covered with the OEM rubber mat...the heat and dust that floated up through the holes...and the NOISE! Ugh...the noise! It drove my family and I nuts driving out west to Nevada to watch the BOR Wendover 300!

So, here is what I spec'd for the interior re-do:
  1. Remove all OEM rubber matting
  2. Thoroughly clean the bare metal floor
  3. Apply rust preventative to all floor surfaces and underside of floor deck
  4. Seal/close all open holes in floor (especially where the safety cage passes through) using flexible foam sealant/rubber grommets
  5. Apply spray on bed-liner to treated metal floor surfaces
  6. Apply thermal/noise barrier to top of bed-liner surface
  7. Top with heavy duty automotive carpeting, front to rear
  8. Clean, treat, and wrap all interior safety cage tubing
  9. Cover the rear interior quarter panels with the covering similar to the safety cage wrap
  10. Remove and replace the factory OEM speakers with new Kicker DS65 2-way 6.75" (F) and DS693 3-way 6x9 (R) speakers
So, a local Salt Lake City interior shop by the name of The Seat Cover Factory did exactly that for $2,300 plus tax (and more...a new headliner, carpeting of the tailgate access cover at no extra cost...) Sure, it took a month a half, but well worth the wait!

I can now carry on a normal conversation, and even talk on my cell without issue...and it's almost too quiet now! But it was all very much worth it! No noise, no heat/cold, and no more dust...and it's all sealed up now with the appropriate preventative coatings so I no longer need to worry about corrosion. Phew!

Enjoy the pictures...
Attachments
Bronco New Interior - March 2014 (6).JPG
Bronco New Interior - March 2014 (6).JPG (197.59 KiB) Viewed 829 times
Bronco New Interior - March 2014 (5).JPG
Bronco New Interior - March 2014 (5).JPG (220 KiB) Viewed 829 times
Bronco New Interior - March 2014 (4).JPG
Bronco New Interior - March 2014 (4).JPG (193.6 KiB) Viewed 829 times
Bronco New Interior - March 2014 (3).JPG
Bronco New Interior - March 2014 (3).JPG (213.67 KiB) Viewed 829 times
Bronco New Interior - March 2014 (2).JPG
Bronco New Interior - March 2014 (2).JPG (185.42 KiB) Viewed 829 times
Bronco New Interior - March 2014 (1).JPG
Bronco New Interior - March 2014 (1).JPG (231.22 KiB) Viewed 829 times

'96 XL 5.0L/E4OD Preunnner/Chase Truck by Ojive Industries (HoleShotOffroad) & dp custom fab
Autofab Mastercraft RaceRunner Bassani Magnaflow Hella Generals Yukon EatonTT AACS PATC FRPP Accel
denhabr
Bronco Info: '96 XL 5.0L/E4OD "Autofab" Preunnner/Chase Truck by Utah's Ojive Industries & dp custom fab

Re: Utah BroncoSpeed...Ooops.

Post by denhabr »

Well, I guess I didn't go back far enough, as I had already posted those pictures before on the interior. my mistake. So where the hell is the <EDIT> button anyways...like FSB.com has? Hmmm?

Next update: Minor tweaks and some glamour shots...from June 2017
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just washed and photos taken of my new'ish AR23 wheels and General Red Letters, 35x12.50R15...

Now I need to go get it dirty!

Today I'm starting my center console design, and will soon kick off it's fabrication, and then install of my two Ham radios (Kenwood TM-V7A 2M/440 and Ranger RCI-2950 10M), along with some gauges from GlowShift...and of course an assortment of cup holders...natch! I've embedded a photo of the center console design below...
2017-07-23 14.21 Brad.jpg
2017-07-23 14.21 Brad.jpg (325.03 KiB) Viewed 824 times
Gotta' get all this done before I head up to support the Idaho Rally International (Rally – idahorally.com) up near Boise as a Special Stage Comms Captain in early June, and the Kat'cina Mosa 100KM Mountain Run (Kat?cina Mosa Homepage | Mountain Oasis Adventure Runs) ultra marathon through the Wasatch Mountains above Provo, UT as a Aid Station Comms support in early August!
96 Broncospeed AR23 Wheels 15x8 (1024x768).jpg
96 Broncospeed AR23 Wheels 15x8 (1024x768).jpg (211.77 KiB) Viewed 824 times
96 Broncospeed New Generals & AR23s (2) (smaller).jpg
96 Broncospeed New Generals & AR23s (2) (smaller).jpg (298.32 KiB) Viewed 824 times
96 Broncospeed New Generals & AR23s (4) Smaller.jpg
96 Broncospeed New Generals & AR23s (4) Smaller.jpg (241.38 KiB) Viewed 824 times
(I'm still considering a flush mount gated shifter from Art Carr/Winters (#337-1, E4OD regular pattern) for the center console...but...I still haven't made up my mind on that. Besides, how would I route the OD button from the stalk? I guess folks just move the toggle to the dash... E4OD Shifter - GoFastBroncos.com)
Art Carr Winters #337-1.jpg
Art Carr Winters #337-1.jpg (116.79 KiB) Viewed 824 times
Art Carr Winters #337-1 (2).jpg
Art Carr Winters #337-1 (2).jpg (219.74 KiB) Viewed 824 times

'96 XL 5.0L/E4OD Preunnner/Chase Truck by Ojive Industries (HoleShotOffroad) & dp custom fab
Autofab Mastercraft RaceRunner Bassani Magnaflow Hella Generals Yukon EatonTT AACS PATC FRPP Accel
denhabr

Re: Utah BroncoSpeed

Post by denhabr »

Another June 2017 Update, and a question from Matco from FSB.com:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Matco...you know, I am not actually 100% sure.

The reason I say that is that I wanted to perform my first full blown oil change in a few weeks and see what it really takes to fill both remote filters AND the crankcase to the dipstick fill line. This particular 302 normally took 5 qts. total to top it off (after running it, and then letting it drip back down for awhile to check the level.) The reason I say that is that I've read here on FSB.com that other 302's in the mid to late 90's took a full 6 quarts. Not mine.

So I'll answer your question in a few when I do a full oil change...as it has been two years since my last full change (but only 4000 miles on the vehicle since then...)
OK...so a full 20 months later after this posting (above)...I finally performed an oil change...my first change in 4.5 years! However, it's only been 3700 miles since that same last change. Whew!
"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So to you answer your question Matco, it took a wee bit over 6.0 quarts of regular Mobil 1 10W-30 with the stock oil pan and the dual Purolator PureOne PL30001 (e.g., Motorcraft FL-1A, Fram PH8A equivalent) remote oil filters.

Frankly, I thought I would have had more than 6 quarts...as the stock oil capacity on my 5.0 (N) is supposedly 6 quarts (yes, there are numerous threads on that topic already...so no need to start THAT discussion all over again...) But still...maybe I have the wrong dipstick, and my oil pan level is artificially low? Who knows...but my eventual engine rebuild to a 331 stroker will include a slightly kicked-out oil pan, as I am trying to achieve a full 7-qt. pan capacity.

Plus with all of the oil I added over the last 4+ years, along with the conversion to dual remote FL-1A oil filters 20 months ago, it was 'kinda' like I did at least one oil change since October 2012, right? (or am I fooling myself? ha!)

And yes, I still have the dreaded rear main oil seal leak...dripping ~1/2 dollar sized marks on the driveway, which really isn't that much, but when I'm driving I do get that burned oil smell every once in awhile. I probably should have used the newer Mobil 1 10W-30 'High-Mileage' stuff. So maybe next time, in another 4.5 years!

Ha!

P.S.: Now the Bronco is all ready to work the Idaho Rally International this weekend in the Boise National Forest just NE of Boise, ID. See: 2017 Idaho Rally Information for specifics. Woo-hoo! Serving as Special Stage 3 & 5 (Grimes Pass) Comms Co-Captain on Saturday...with my Kenwood TM-V7A mobile and Icom IC-W32A HT inside my Bronco. Making the 360 mile drive from SLC to Boise tomorrow morning...then we hit the dirt in Placerville, ID!

denhabr

Re: Utah BroncoSpeed - July 2017 MAJOR Update...

Post by denhabr »

As I alluded to in my recent posts, I've been behind in getting GFB updated (along with that OTHER site...)...so here is a biggie:

I started a series of what I call "New Phase I" upgrades...enhancements to take my initial build to the next tier...upgrades designed to add some real functionality and features that will make my Bronco even more reliable off road. That, and fix/polish up some annoying things that have gone unresolved since I bought the Bronco in 2008....and started the build in the Spring of 2009.

So since I have a LOT more time to play with the Bronco (having left the world of IBM consulting and 'road warrior' status...), I've really gotten back into my ham radio hobby with a vengeance. So after essentially hanging up the radios for about 13+ years, I am now able to start using the Bronco again at local and regional sporting/social events where I can support activities with the Bronco and my radios. After all, I did build this as a 'rally support vehicle' after having done a ton of research in the late 90's with numerous visits to SoCal and AZ-based fab shops. So these New Phase I series of upgrades come at the right time for me to enhance the Bronco and really start enjoying it this summer...and well into the future!

New Phase I Upgrades - COMPLETED:
  • Clocked Rear Axle & U-Joint Upgrads
  • Big 5 Wiring Upgrade to 1/0 Cable & Grounds
  • New Dual AGM Batteries
  • New High Amp Alternator
  • New HD Battery Mounts
  • New HID Projector Headlights and New Rear Euro-Style Housings
  • S-A-W 2.5" Res. Shock Rebuilds and Tuning
Details:
  1. Clocked Rear Axle & Spicer "Life Series" HD Lubed-for-life U-Joint Upgrade by GRS Drivelines: I cannot believe that I waited 8 years to get this fixed. As it turns out, my original fab shop installed my Autofab rear suspension with the 8.8 axle pinion in parallel with the output shaft of the transfer case. So from day 1, I've had this annoying vibration and sounds from my rear axle. When I took the Bronco to a local shop last August (GRS Drivelines, SLC UT) for some new greased-for-life Spicer U-joints, they said they'd only work on it after I had my rear axle properly clocked. It needed to be where the 8.8 pinion was in alignment with the incoming driveshaft (e.g., nearly zero deflection in the rear U-joint.) So I went back to my fabricator and he properly clocked the rear axle as desired (see picture). In doing so had to shorten the Autofab trailing arms wee bit. But when I drove away, all the noise and vibration vanished! Holy cow! I then took it over to GRS a week later and they installed the new Spicer "Life Series" 1350s in the double-cardan joint (along with a new centering kit), and a 1410 u-joint in the rear. Suh-weet! Talk about smooth and quiet performance? The trip to Boise and back last month was truly a pleasure with this new driveshaft!
    GRS Driveline Upgrade - 1024x768 (4).jpg
    GRS Driveline Upgrade - 1024x768 (4).jpg (236.82 KiB) Viewed 820 times
    GRS Driveline Upgrade - 1024x768 (3).jpg
    GRS Driveline Upgrade - 1024x768 (3).jpg (279.94 KiB) Viewed 820 times
    GRS Driveline Upgrade - 1024x768 (2).jpg
    GRS Driveline Upgrade - 1024x768 (2).jpg (247.19 KiB) Viewed 820 times
    Spicer Life Series 1410 U-Joint.jpg
    Spicer Life Series 1410 U-Joint.jpg (111.89 KiB) Viewed 820 times
    Bronco Drive-shaft Alignment.jpg
    Bronco Drive-shaft Alignment.jpg (45.69 KiB) Viewed 820 times
  2. Big 5 Wiring Upgrade to 1/0 Cable & Extra Ground Wires/Straps by Drive-In Audiosound (Utah): I started with the basic "Big 3" battery wiring upgrade to 1/0 cable, and made sure all the grounds were upgraded as well. My shop (Drive-In Audiosound, Sandy, UT) specializes in competition sound systems, and James knows his stuff when if comes to high-amp wiring (not to mention he is a licensed ham radio operator, too). So that wiring upgrade became the basis for all the rest of the stuff I have planned this summer. James also used military-style battery terminals on the Odyssey PC1750 (see below), and used soldered (and crimped) lug ends on all cables.
  3. New Dual AGM Batteries - One starting & one amateur radio deep-cycle high Ah rating: I purchased a new Odyssey #PC1750 (950 CCA Group 65 AGM starting battery) for the engine compartment, and a back-up Centennial #CB12-120S (118Ah deep-cycle AGM for the rear compartment) to power my two amateur radios (a Kenwood TM-V7A 2M/440 radio, and a Ranger RCI-2950 10M radio). The two radios will be wired directly to the Centennial battery using Anderson PowerPoles and red/black zip wire. James also installed a Stinger battery isolator as well.
  4. New High Amp Alternator - DC Power Engineering 270 XP (270 Amp 3G) https://www.dcpowerinc.com/7768-6k-270-xp.html: James works with DC Power Engineering for nearly all his competition audio systems (often times using dual and triple alternators!), so with my unique power demands (Hella 4000 and Hella 500 off-road lights, Massive #BX4 4x120W stereo amplifier, ham radios, 10M linear amp, future sub-woofer, etc...), 270 amps will be more than enough...and with 180 amps at hot idle (200F) , I should have no worries for any future upgrades.
  5. New HD Battery Mounts from Artec Industries: I've actually been driving around with a smaller Group 31 starting battery for years...as the Autofab shock hoops prevented the OEM Group 65 battery from fitting into the stock battery tray. D-oh! So I made sure that when I upgraded both batteries, that each would get it's own HD off-road battery tray/mount! I found Artec Industries (here in SLC) at the SLC Off-Road Expo 2016, and they make some nice mounts...so I went with them. James found a way to mount the PC1750 the same way the stock battery was mounted, so I didn't have to relocate the vacuum canister or anything else on the passenger side of the engine compartment.
  6. New HID Projector Headlights and New Rear Euro-Style Housings by HID Retrofit LLC: My old housings were cloudy and the left one's internal reflector was loose and rattling around inside...not to mention the water inside the housing. So I found HID Retrofit LLC here in SLC, and the proprietor built me some real nice clear housings with chrome reflectors (not that I need them), using some cool HID reflectors with hi/lo beam and halo rings. The halo rings also flash in amber when that side turn signal is on, but remains white otherwise. I first used these new lights at the Idaho Rally International last month in Boise, and wow, what a difference. There is a sharp cutoff on lo beam (they have to be raised again as they are just too low) as I find that I overdrive my lights on dark back roads. I also had him upgrade the rear lights to some new Euro-look clear lights that have a dark bezel. Really a nice improvement all the way around!
  7. S-A-W RaceRunner Shock Rebuilds and Tuning by Desert Speed Shock Tuning: Who knew that I had to rebuild my Sway-A-Way RaceRunner shocks! When I was getting my axle clocked (above), my fabricator found that my left front forward shock was leaking at the lower seal, and suggested that I should get them rebuilt. After a little online research, I found Desert Speed Shock Tuning here in Utah, and set-up a rebuilding and tuning session with Matt in late June. A few weeks ago Matt took my Bronco on a trailer and hauled it off to his shop, and then started rebuilding all six shocks. Last Friday, he brought the Bronco out to the desert (on the old Pony Express Trail in fact), and I took the Bronco for some warm up runs. After some slight warmup (and a check that all six were actually warming up and not getting hot,) we went for a more aggressive/higher-speed run...and videoed some runs using his GoPro. Again, with just the rebuild and some guess-work on Matt's behalf, it was a night and day difference from the rock hard ride I've had for the last 8 years. So this was the first tuning evolution, as Matt took the video back (along with my feedback) and is planning the second tuning session for 28 July...where he will tear apart all six shocks (again, this time in the field), and soften them up even further (focusing on mid-stroke compliance.)
Note: I once attempted to get some shock tuning ideas from John Ehmke (owner of Autofab) back in 2014, but he literally said nothing and just referred me to Sway-A-Way. :roll: So on a business trip to SoCal later that year, I visited S-A-W in Chatsworth...and actually spoke to their President. However, he referred me back to John...and was hinting that the spring rates were probably way too high. Oi! :evil: I wasn't about to start a pissing contest between the two, so I gave up...until now. So if you have special emulsion, reservoir, or by-pass shocks on your Bronco, do yourself a HUUUGE favor and get them rebuilt and tuned to the type of driving you want! Shocks are such a huge investment...and your shocks should be working for YOU!
The photos are embedded below (and on subsequent posts) for your viewing pleasure.

Next: Planned Phase II Upgrades:
  • Custom Center Console for Ham Radios/Accessory Switches/New Glow-Shift Gauges/Cup Holders
  • Subwoofer with Dedicated Amplifier
  • New Grill and Headlight Surrounds (already purchased...just need to paint and install!)
  • Ford XLT Gauges with Tachometer Install (I've only had the gauge for 2 years now...just haven't installed it yet!)
  • Saginaw P/S Pump Upgrade (Again, I've only had the pump/bracket from an E-150 for 3 years now...Ugh!)

Future: Planned Phase III Upgrades:
  • Custom built 331 Stroker Motor
  • Custom built E4OD Transmission
  • Supplementary Cooling for Transmission & Engine
  • New 2-row Radiator and Continental 'Elite' Radiator Hoses
  • HD F-250 Tie-rods
...more pictured to follow...

denhabr

Post by denhabr »

Big 5 Wiring and Batteries...
Attachments
New Dual Battery Install (2).jpg
New Dual Battery Install (2).jpg (220.5 KiB) Viewed 820 times
New Dual Battery Install (1).jpg
New Dual Battery Install (1).jpg (235.92 KiB) Viewed 820 times
Military Battery Terminals.jpg
Military Battery Terminals.jpg (153.56 KiB) Viewed 820 times
Artec Ind. PC2150 Battery Mount.jpg
Artec Ind. PC2150 Battery Mount.jpg (85.11 KiB) Viewed 820 times
Artec Ind. PC1750 Battery Mount.jpg
Artec Ind. PC1750 Battery Mount.jpg (127.42 KiB) Viewed 820 times

denhabr

Post by denhabr »

More alternator and battery photos...
Attachments
Odyssey PC1750 Group 65 AGM Battery.jpg
Odyssey PC1750 Group 65 AGM Battery.jpg (137.35 KiB) Viewed 819 times
New DC Power Engineering 270 XP 1024x768 (2).jpg
New DC Power Engineering 270 XP 1024x768 (2).jpg (263.94 KiB) Viewed 819 times
New DC Power Engineering 270 XP 1024x768 (1).jpg
New DC Power Engineering 270 XP 1024x768 (1).jpg (220.91 KiB) Viewed 819 times
Centennial CB12-120S AGM Deep Cycle 118Ah Battery.jpg
Centennial CB12-120S AGM Deep Cycle 118Ah Battery.jpg (188.72 KiB) Viewed 819 times

denhabr

Post by denhabr »

...and lighting...
Attachments
New HID Projectors (3).jpg
New HID Projectors (3).jpg (229.37 KiB) Viewed 818 times
New HID Projectors (1).jpg
New HID Projectors (1).jpg (187.9 KiB) Viewed 818 times
New Bronco Rear Tailights Anza.jpg
New Bronco Rear Tailights Anza.jpg (295.12 KiB) Viewed 818 times
Brad's Bronco June 2017 Glamour Shots 6-4-2017 (4) - 1024x768.jpg
Brad's Bronco June 2017 Glamour Shots 6-4-2017 (4) - 1024x768.jpg (218.46 KiB) Viewed 818 times
Brad's Bronco June 2017 Glamour Shots 6-4-2017 (3) 1024x768.jpg
Brad's Bronco June 2017 Glamour Shots 6-4-2017 (3) 1024x768.jpg (237.82 KiB) Viewed 818 times
Brad's Bronco June 2017 Glamour Shots 6-4-2017 (1) - 1024x768.jpg
Brad's Bronco June 2017 Glamour Shots 6-4-2017 (1) - 1024x768.jpg (244.78 KiB) Viewed 818 times

cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Utah BroncoSpeed

Post by cs_drums »

Interior looks great. That the next big money dump I want to do one mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Quite the update, brother! It's good to hear from you!
Sho nuff,
SteveG
denhabr

Post by denhabr »

SteveG wrote:Quite the update, brother! It's good to hear from you!
Thanks Steve! Yeah, it's been awhile, and I've really been enjoying using the Bronco this spring/summer...along with the upgrades that I've been adding. I've actually been waiting to do a lot of these upgrades for years now, and now that I'm no longer traveling weekly (and working just 4x10's here at the office), the opportunities to get out and have some fun are plentiful.

Take care!