Utah BroncoSpeed

denhabr
Bronco Info: '96 XL 5.0L/E4OD "Autofab" Preunnner/Chase Truck by Utah's Ojive Industries & dp custom fab

Re: Utah BroncoSpeed

Post by denhabr »

BDKW1 wrote:AR23's....... Should have been at the off road swap meet earlier this year, I had a pile of 10 of those I ended up offing for 10$ a wheel so I wouldn't have to haul them home.
A day late and 700 miles short. Would have loved to, but that is a long way from Utah.

Thanks though!

I'll get my AR-23s someday!

'96 XL 5.0L/E4OD Preunnner/Chase Truck by Ojive Industries (HoleShotOffroad) & dp custom fab
Autofab Mastercraft RaceRunner Bassani Magnaflow Hella Generals Yukon EatonTT AACS PATC FRPP Accel
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

So how's the truck running......... Bringing back up an old thread!
denhabr
Bronco Info: '96 XL 5.0L/E4OD "Autofab" Preunnner/Chase Truck by Utah's Ojive Industries & dp custom fab

Post by denhabr »

tcm glx wrote:So how's the truck running......... Bringing back up an old thread!
Hey Tony! Thanks for asking...and yes, it has been awhile since I did an update on my build here at GFB, and I owe this august forum an update (I had previously updated my parallel posting at FSB.com just last month)

In short, I've been enjoying the hell out of my Broncospeed since my last update in October of 2012. :oops: But since then, I've...
  • Completely acid washed/media blasted and then painted the frame, suspension, TTB and 8.8 axles (the 2010 winter turned my entire undercarriage orange!)
  • Repaired and repainted the tailgate (after getting rear-ended by a local trophy-wife in a Ford Edge). You should have seen the damage to her Edge when she came in contact with my pre-runner bumper and 35" spare tire! Ouch!
  • Wired up the rear facing amber LED 'dust' light
  • Repaired the wiring to the front Hella 4000s (they kept going inop...bad switch)
  • Replaced my in-tank fuel pump in order to resolve a troublesome CEL. The codes I pulled said I had a "lean condition in the left and right cylinder banks."
  • Passed Utah State Emissions check last month with flying colors! Bronco runs great now...especially after the "Sixlitre tune-up" from over there at FSB (http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...ad.php?t=63592)...including an Accel coil/cap/rotor, Ford Motorsport 9mm racing wires, cheapo Autolite 25's gapped at .052", and timing advanced to 14º BTDC
  • Had a low-speed ABS engagement problem diagnosed as bad ABS tone rings front L&R (got some new rings from Jeff's http://www.broncograveyard.com yet to install)
  • Made further plans for the next phase of my build including a full interior refurb (floor sealed/painted, thermo-acoustic flooring insulation, roll bar painted/padded, paneling, stereo upgrade, installation of my RCI-2950 CB and Kenwood TM-V7A Ham Radio, etc.) and a 302 "Mil-Spec" rebuild (fully blueprinted, balanced 331 stroker, CompCams Xtreme Energy #35-512-8, 206º/212º @ .050”, .480”/.480” & 114º LSA hydraulic roller cam, ProComp 3035C heads, 9:1 CR...but with stock appearing 'externals'...except for maybe some Bassani equa-length headers)
I'll get some fresh photos in here soon! And someday, I want to talk to you about your HID kits for my '96 (I'm looking at a complete headlight housing replacement, clear lenses, etc...and replacement rear LED taillights too)

Happy New Year!

'96 XL 5.0L/E4OD Preunnner/Chase Truck by Ojive Industries (HoleShotOffroad) & dp custom fab
Autofab Mastercraft RaceRunner Bassani Magnaflow Hella Generals Yukon EatonTT AACS PATC FRPP Accel
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

ABS in the dirt/snow/ice is dangerous. Do you have it on a switch?
denhabr wrote:
tcm glx wrote:So how's the truck running......... Bringing back up an old thread!
Hey Tony! Thanks for asking...and yes, it has been awhile since I did an update on my build here at GFB, and I owe this august forum an update (I had previously updated my parallel posting at FSB.com just last month)

In short, I've been enjoying the hell out of my Broncospeed since my last update in October of 2012. :oops: But since then, I've...
  • Completely acid washed/media blasted and then painted the frame, suspension, TTB and 8.8 axles (the 2010 winter turned my entire undercarriage orange!)
  • Repaired and repainted the tailgate (after getting rear-ended by a local trophy-wife in a Ford Edge). You should have seen the damage to her Edge when she came in contact with my pre-runner bumper and 35" spare tire! Ouch!
  • Wired up the rear facing amber LED 'dust' light
  • Repaired the wiring to the front Hella 4000s (they kept going inop...bad switch)
  • Replaced my in-tank fuel pump in order to resolve a troublesome CEL. The codes I pulled said I had a "lean condition in the left and right cylinder banks."
  • Passed Utah State Emissions check last month with flying colors! Bronco runs great now...especially after the "Sixlitre tune-up" from over there at FSB (http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...ad.php?t=63592)...including an Accel coil/cap/rotor, Ford Motorsport 9mm racing wires, cheapo Autolite 25's gapped at .052", and timing advanced to 14º BTDC
  • Had a low-speed ABS engagement problem diagnosed as bad ABS tone rings front L&R (got some new rings from Jeff's http://www.broncograveyard.com yet to install)
  • Made further plans for the next phase of my build including a full interior refurb (floor sealed/painted, thermo-acoustic flooring insulation, roll bar painted/padded, paneling, stereo upgrade, installation of my RCI-2950 CB and Kenwood TM-V7A Ham Radio, etc.) and a 302 "Mil-Spec" rebuild (fully blueprinted, balanced 331 stroker, CompCams Xtreme Energy #35-512-8, 206º/212º @ .050”, .480”/.480” & 114º LSA hydraulic roller cam, ProComp 3035C heads, 9:1 CR...but with stock appearing 'externals'...except for maybe some Bassani equa-length headers)
I'll get some fresh photos in here soon! And someday, I want to talk to you about your HID kits for my '96 (I'm looking at a complete headlight housing replacement, clear lenses, etc...and replacement rear LED taillights too)

Happy New Year!
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
denhabr

Post by denhabr »

shockseals.com wrote:ABS in the dirt/snow/ice is dangerous. Do you have it on a switch?
denhabr wrote:
Shockseals.com:

No, I don't yet have it on a switch. I've see a few others mod their ABS system to deactivate it for off road use (and have seen the suggested modification procedure here, and on FSB.com), but I have not applied that modification yet. I can see turning off ABS for aggressive off road use, but would like to keep it on for snow and ice (street use) here in the mountains of Utah.

What I think I will do is get the new tone rings on first, and clear out the issue with the low speed ABS kick-in. Then...I'll try my hand at wiring up the ABS-deactivate switch, and see how that works.

Thanks!

denhabr

Spring 2014 Update

Post by denhabr »

Yup, been awhile...in fact, no postings since January 2012! Damn...asleep at the wheel! :roll:

I thought I'd provide an update on my latest enhancement...a brand new interior! Something I've been wanting to do since I got the Bronco out of the fab shop back in February of 2010....and now it's done. Gone are: the 6 open holes/gaps in the floor where the safety cage tubing passes through...the bare floor covered with the OEM rubber mat...the heat and dust that floated up through the holes...and the NOISE! Ugh...the noise! It drove my family and I nuts driving out west to Nevada to watch the BOR Wendover 300!

So, here is what I spec'd for the interior re-do:
  • Remove all OEM rubber matting
  • Thoroughly clean the bare metal floor
  • Apply rust preventative to all floor surfaces and underside of floor deck
  • Seal/close all open holes in floor (especially where the safety cage passes through) using flexible foam sealant/rubber grommets
  • Apply spray on bed-liner to treated metal floor surfaces
  • Apply thermal/noise barrier to top of bed-liner surface
  • Top with heavy duty automotive carpeting, front to rear
  • Clean, treat, and wrap all interior safety cage tubing
  • Cover the rear interior quarter panels with the covering similar to the safety cage wrap
  • Remove and replace the factory OEM speakers with new Kicker DS65 2-way 6.75" (F) and DS693 3-way 6x9 (R) speakers
I did a lot or research and selected a local Salt Lake City interior shop by the name of The Seat Cover Factory. They did exactly that for $2,200 plus tax (and more...a new headliner, carpeting of the tailgate access cover at no extra cost...) Sure, it took a month a half, but well worth the wait!

I can now carry on a normal conversation, and even talk on my cell without issue...and it's almost too quiet now! But it was all very much worth it! No noise, no heat/cold, and no more dust...and it's all sealed up now with the appropriate preventative coatings so I no longer need to worry about corrosion. Phew!

Enjoy the pictures...

:P

(Next Project: Dual remote oil filters...in June or July...)
Attachments
Rear Seat Floor and Quarter Panel Detail
Rear Seat Floor and Quarter Panel Detail
Bronco New Interior - March 2014 (2).JPG (185.42 KiB) Viewed 882 times
Main Safety Cage Padding Detail
Main Safety Cage Padding Detail
Bronco New Interior - March 2014 (3).JPG (213.67 KiB) Viewed 882 times
F Headliner & Safety Cage Detail
F Headliner & Safety Cage Detail
Bronco New Interior - March 2014 (4).JPG (193.6 KiB) Viewed 882 times
Interior Rear Floor Detail
Interior Rear Floor Detail
Bronco New Interior - March 2014 (5).JPG (220 KiB) Viewed 882 times
Interior Roof from Tailgate - Safety Cage Detail
Interior Roof from Tailgate - Safety Cage Detail
Bronco New Interior - March 2014 (6).JPG (197.59 KiB) Viewed 882 times
R Rear Interior Quarter Panel
R Rear Interior Quarter Panel
Bronco New Interior - March 2014 (7).JPG (218.8 KiB) Viewed 882 times
denhabr

Spring 2014 Update...(continued)

Post by denhabr »

A few more shots...

Actually the rear Kicker 6x9's sound like crap with the factory radio...so they're be augmented soon with a nice Kicker amp (4x50w? 4x75w?), and a nice new head unit to replace the OEM AM/FM head unit...
Attachments
Kicker DS693 6x9" 3-ways for the Rear Quarter Panels (Stock Location)
Kicker DS693 6x9" 3-ways for the Rear Quarter Panels (Stock Location)
Kicker DS693 6x9 3-way 3 (small 2).jpg (28.68 KiB) Viewed 880 times
Kicker DS65 6.5" 2-ways for the F Doors
Kicker DS65 6.5" 2-ways for the F Doors
Kicker DS650 6.5 2-way (small).jpg (52.36 KiB) Viewed 880 times
Rear Tailgate Detail
Rear Tailgate Detail
Bronco New Interior - March 2014 (8).JPG (211.72 KiB) Viewed 880 times
denhabr

A Step Back in Time...Fall 2012 Update - Undercarriage Clean

Post by denhabr »

A few years ago, I got tired at looking at an orange (read: rust) undercarriage, and took my Bronco to a local big rig detailing shop, Air Vision, here in Salt Lake City. Air Vision's specialty is cleaning, washing, and detailing big rig trucks, and one of the their feature treatments is painting the undercarriage. They were also the folks that hand polished up my Ford 10-Hole 15x7.5 "riveted" (Hollander 1701) aluminum wheels that are currently on the truck!

I had this done to my Bronco back in November of 2012...and the results were pretty nice. They pressure washed the entire underside, and then masked off a lot of the parts I DIDN'T want painted. They then applied their gloss black high build (read: thick) paint treatment...which turned out pretty good. My only complaint is that they painted the nice aluminum Ford Motorsport 8.8" rear diff cover BLACK! Grrrr...even after I told them NOT to. Sheesh. :roll:

But at least everything is protected from future snow and salt (except the Race-Runner shocks, which look all corroded and fugly on the outside now...Hmmmm?)

So, now I'm all caught up on project work...and as I mentioned before, a dual remote oil filter system is next for the 5.0 next month or July...
Attachments
Ford Trussed 8.8 (and painted FMS Diff Cover...) (1)
Ford Trussed 8.8 (and painted FMS Diff Cover...) (1)
Bronco Undercarriage Paint - 2012 (1).JPG (179.77 KiB) Viewed 878 times
Ford Trussed 8.8 (and painted FMS Diff Cover...) (2)
Ford Trussed 8.8 (and painted FMS Diff Cover...) (2)
Bronco Undercarriage Paint - 2012 (2).JPG (175.88 KiB) Viewed 878 times
Front Frame Rails (1)
Front Frame Rails (1)
Bronco Undercarriage Paint - 2012 (3).JPG (251.01 KiB) Viewed 878 times
D44 TTB
D44 TTB
Bronco Undercarriage Paint - 2012 (4).JPG (202.82 KiB) Viewed 878 times
Front Frame Rails (2)
Front Frame Rails (2)
Bronco Undercarriage Paint - 2012 (5).JPG (234.11 KiB) Viewed 878 times
robertcrav
Let me google that for you
Bronco Info: Lana - Stock width c/t coil-overs/bypasses -- Sylvia - Stock width 4" Rancho kit on Billies

Post by robertcrav »

Nice updates!!

And....June/July 2016?

J/K 8-)8-)8-)8-)
Nick
Founder
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target

Post by Nick »

Show off. :)

Question, how will you inspect for cracked tubes?
denhabr

Post by denhabr »

robertcrav wrote:Nice updates!!

And....June/July 2016?

J/K 8-)8-)8-)8-)
Funny, ha ha... As time and funds (and the better half) dictate...right?
Nick wrote:Show off. :)

Question, how will you inspect for cracked tubes?
Thank you, thank you very much.

I won't inspect for cracks...formally. Since I don't race or abuse the truck, I don't expect major issues there. Plus, since every tube wrap can be peeled back to expose the TIG welds. I'm probably more worried about the attachment points under the body where the cage attaches to the frame/suspension mount points...and all of those are all fully exposed for inspection purposes (under the gloss black chassis paint...of course.)

:)
robertcrav
Bronco Info: Lana - Stock width c/t coil-overs/bypasses -- Sylvia - Stock width 4" Rancho kit on Billies

Post by robertcrav »

denhabr wrote:
robertcrav wrote:Nice updates!!

And....June/July 2016?

J/K 8-)8-)8-)8-)
Funny, ha ha... As time and funds (and the better half) dictate...right?
Those are always the keys...
Nick
Founder

Post by Nick »

Well, you are the most interesting man in the world. I'm sure if any cracks do appear, they'll just tig weld themselves.
denhabr

Post by denhabr »

Nick wrote:Well, you are the most interesting man in the world. I'm sure if any cracks do appear, they'll just tig weld themselves.
Ummm, thanks Nick. I think. Sarcasm noted.

"I'm sure if any cracks do appear, they'll just tig weld themselves..." Wow, sounds like I'm back on the FSB web page...
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

That thing is CLEAN, Brad. Looking good!
Nick
Founder

Post by Nick »

denhabr wrote:
Nick wrote:Well, you are the most interesting man in the world. I'm sure if any cracks do appear, they'll just tig weld themselves.

"I'm sure if any cracks do appear, they'll just tig weld themselves..." Wow, sounds like I'm back on the FSB web page...
My feeble attempt at humor failed. It was in no way intended as a jab. I was just playing off the pic on fb. My apologies if I offended you.
guard
Bronco Info: 1996 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by guard »

Looks great! Glad to hear you've re-civilized (noise reduction) and your metal is protected. You always seem to get a good finish in the end:)

On side note: I'm surprised this bronco still has a stock tire carrier on it! With a 31" spare tire on the back I was having problems with it actually starting to rip the tailgate. No way I could've put a full size spare on it. Any plans there?
denhabr

Post by denhabr »

Nick wrote:
denhabr wrote:

My feeble attempt at humor failed. It was in no way intended as a jab. I was just playing off the pic on fb. My apologies if I offended you.
Nick...hey, no harm...no foul! Just as long as the Most Interesting Man in the World! can return the favor! ;)

Love the 1/2 shave BTW! What a hoot. How long did you have to keep that before you won the bet? :?: Ha!

:lol:
Attachments
2014-05-25 09.24.13.jpg
2014-05-25 09.24.13.jpg (42.99 KiB) Viewed 777 times
robertcrav

Post by robertcrav »

Lmao...please post that on his FB
Nick
Founder

Post by Nick »

:lol: :lol: