Rod's US '94 Bronco

AussieRod
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.

Re: Rod's US '94 Bronco

Post by AussieRod »

WOW, am I totally at sea now :( Have spoken to most of the shock dealers here in Australia (Fox, King, Bilstein) and the first response I get from ALL of them is: "WTF are you putting a coil over in the front of a Bronco for?" :roll: I guess thats where I stand here. Any work I do to my Bronco now, I have to understand exactly whats going on and be able to tune, revalve, etc. my shocks myself or get it damn close before the beast ever gets to Aus. Fox, for me and being here in Australia, are the easiest and most cost effective shocks available for my budget. Having said that, Bilsteins are also looking good, as I have found someone here who gives a shit about what I'm doing and can help with valving, etc. I am tossing up 3" c/o against 2.5" c/o and 2.5" bp or smoothie for the front. 3" bp for rear is what I want for the rear.
For now, though, I might just stick with 2" leveling coils for the front and decent shocks all round until I get the time to consider all my options. Exhaust mods, air intake, tyres, wheels and gearing I can do, too, so I can find that part of the combo I am looking for.
Last edited by AussieRod on Sun May 29, 2011 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

Coilovers on Broncos are quite common here. That is an odd response.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
AussieRod
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.

Post by AussieRod »

philofab wrote:Coilovers on Broncos are quite common here. That is an odd response.
Maybe in USA, but here in Aus, its not an odd response. The next statment was "Why waste time with a Bronco, why not a Toyota Hilux or Land Cruiser (Land Barge) or a Nissan Patrol?" I wonder if my hanging up loudly in their ear was an appropriate answer? Philo, here, there is NO interest in Broncos and F trucks for off road or racing, as virtually no-one does anything for them, and anything you CAN get here is so overpriced, most people don't waste their time and money. One dealer here is charging $2300 for a 6" Rough Country lift kit, UNFITTED! Good F trucks and Broncos are getting hard to find here now, so prices are going higher and higher. Thats one reason I went this route.
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

I had a guy tell me that at 4 wheel parts. Needless to say he got an earfull.
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
Silverslk
Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Baur Bronco......GONE to a better home

Post by Silverslk »

It sure will be nice to show them why when it's done huh? :D

Seems like if you are gonna mess with it at all....might as well go all out now )save shipping costs later and enjoy it more while here). You will be bummed if you can't "get after it" in mexico.....how many over there will be able to say the RAN their rig in Mexico whoops before driving there? You will always think about the missed opportunity (I would anyway). Throw Kiefers bolt coilover kit on it and whatever shocks/coilsovers you feel best with. Maybe Tony can get you some tuning time with Joel (if you go Bilstein) while you are here? We can always ship you parts as needed.
SteveG wrote:The point? It's amazing these front ends go down the road straight in any form! The TTB is brute. A broad sword and not a scalpel. That's why I love it!
convoy

Post by convoy »

Rod are you still looking for a tan bench seat? I bought Steve's but no longer need it.
Let me know.
AussieRod

Post by AussieRod »

convoy wrote:Rod are you still looking for a tan bench seat? I bought Steve's but no longer need it.
Let me know.
A tan rear seat would be good. Front seats I will replace with Corbeau's or Aerostar seats.
AussieRod

Post by AussieRod »

Silverslk wrote:It sure will be nice to show them why when it's done huh? :D

Seems like if you are gonna mess with it at all....might as well go all out now )save shipping costs later and enjoy it more while here). You will be bummed if you can't "get after it" in mexico.....how many over there will be able to say the RAN their rig in Mexico whoops before driving there? You will always think about the missed opportunity (I would anyway). Throw Kiefers bolt coilover kit on it and whatever shocks/coilsovers you feel best with. Maybe Tony can get you some tuning time with Joel (if you go Bilstein) while you are here? We can always ship you parts as needed.
Mate, whether or not it might be done prior to the Baja run, it doesn't matter, I will drive the Mexican whoops as I would any other. :D Yes, I will get it all done in the US, because I can do it right and enjoy it more.
Silverslk
Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Baur Bronco......GONE to a better home

Post by Silverslk »

AusBroncodoc wrote:
Silverslk wrote:It sure will be nice to show them why when it's done huh? :D

Mate, whether or not it might be done prior to the Baja run, it doesn't matter, I will drive the Mexican whoops as I would any other. :D Yes, I will get it all done in the US, because I can do it right and enjoy it more.
It really doesn't matter. You will have 100% fun on this trip!!
SteveG wrote:The point? It's amazing these front ends go down the road straight in any form! The TTB is brute. A broad sword and not a scalpel. That's why I love it!
bajabuck
Bronco Info: 87 Bronco with some Autofab parts held on with bailing wire and duct tape

Post by bajabuck »

Rod it will be so cool when you get your Bronco home and kick the snot out of everything else in the dirt. You may just start an Austrailian off road revolution. You know know back in the late 80's I had a guy named Steve Spirkoff put on some longer springs with custom valved Bilsteins and trim the fenders on my Ford Ranger. I called it a pre-runner and the rest is history...
AussieRod

Post by AussieRod »

bajabuck wrote:Rod it will be so cool when you get your Bronco home and kick the snot out of everything else in the dirt. You may just start an Austrailian off road revolution. You know know back in the late 80's I had a guy named Steve Spirkoff put on some longer springs with custom valved Bilsteins and trim the fenders on my Ford Ranger. I called it a pre-runner and the rest is history...
Only 1 guy sucessfully raced a Bronco here, and it was heavily modified with one of those over complicted rear mounted link systems. With an aluminum headed Clevland and a heavy right foot, he generally did great, but it was fragile on occasion. Being overweight probably helped that. It was over 6000lb in race trim. Far too heavy. I plan to try and keep the weight down to the minimum amount possible eventually and try to keep it reliable. But, you are right, I will definately open some eyes once it hits the dirt here. :D :D
bajabuck
Bronco Info: 87 Bronco with some Autofab parts held on with bailing wire and duct tape

Post by bajabuck »

Hmmm... I wonder why we don't see more Nissan Patrols in the Baja 1000??.. Of course I was really just referring to play vehicles. Apples to apples you know. It's not like anyone is putting a Nissan Patrol or a Toyo Hi Lux against a Trophy Truck. Looking forward to meeting you for the August GFB Baja run. If you think of anything you need in the way of gear please let me know. I know the guys are taking care of you but if some odd thing comes up don't be shy about asking. There might be some unexpected gear that you need that would be a pain to purchase (or fly with) but easy to borrow. Icechest, chairs? I live in the San Diego area so it would be logisticaly easy for me to drop off gear at a meeting point. It would be no problem at all for me to swing by Tom's the week prior to the trip. I'm sure some of the guys have good info on Mex insurance. I use Baja Bound Insurance and buy it online. Very simple but untested (and I'd like to keep it that way) as far as making a claim. Please just let us know what you need.
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

I think an exchange should be set up. Australia needs more Broncos and such. We need more XBs, crew cab diesel mini trucks, and utes.

A right hand drive car sure would be useful for picking up girls walking down the street. Maybe a Ford Falcon XT GT?

Maybe I could trade you a 76 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible? Did they have those there?
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
AussieRod

Post by AussieRod »

bajabuck wrote:Hmmm... I wonder why we don't see more Nissan Patrols in the Baja 1000??.. Of course I was really just referring to play vehicles. Apples to apples you know. It's not like anyone is putting a Nissan Patrol or a Toyo Hi Lux against a Trophy Truck. Looking forward to meeting you for the August GFB Baja run. If you think of anything you need in the way of gear please let me know. I know the guys are taking care of you but if some odd thing comes up don't be shy about asking. There might be some unexpected gear that you need that would be a pain to purchase (or fly with) but easy to borrow. Icechest, chairs? I live in the San Diego area so it would be logisticaly easy for me to drop off gear at a meeting point. It would be no problem at all for me to swing by Tom's the week prior to the trip. I'm sure some of the guys have good info on Mex insurance. I use Baja Bound Insurance and buy it online. Very simple but untested (and I'd like to keep it that way) as far as making a claim. Please just let us know what you need.
Thanks, Mate. If I think of anything, I will let you know. Cheers :D :D
AussieRod

Post by AussieRod »

philofab wrote:I think an exchange should be set up. Australia needs more Broncos and such. We need more XBs, crew cab diesel mini trucks, and utes.

A right hand drive car sure would be useful for picking up girls walking down the street. Maybe a Ford Falcon XT GT?

Maybe I could trade you a 76 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible? Did they have those there?
A clean XB falcon will start at about $12,000 to $14,000 now, Hilux crewcabs with diesels, start at around $6,000 up for a good one and utes? depends on what you are after.
A genuine XT GT will start at about $350,000 AU ;)
AussieRod

Post by AussieRod »

And yes, we do have cadillacs here, not that real people will own one :D :D
AussieRod

Post by AussieRod »

Mate, Nissan parts are the most expensive spare parts on the planet, even more than Merc parts. THATS why no-one in their right mind races them.
AussieRod

Post by AussieRod »

Well, my choices are narrowed down some..... shocks will either be Fox or Bilstein, as I have found a Bilstein tech in Aus who is interested in what I am doing and willing to help me with valving, etc. if I want. Thats a big relief. Front suspension is still undecided, but my choices here are looking to Autofab, Southwest Performance or Threat Motorsports. Until I arrive and get to meet with all the partys in question, the front suspension is still up in the air. I need / want to talk face to face with these guys, touch/ see / feel for myself the parts offered and weigh up their collective advice before commiting to anyone in particular. The rear suspension is pretty much fixed for now: Deaver J40's, SWP shackles, upper shock mount and 3" Fox 3 tube bypasses OR Bilstein 4 tube 2.65" bypasses with limit straps, etc. Looking at K&N FIPK kit, Bassani headers and (maybe) Y pipe, 3" Flowmaster and side pipe, sixlitre tune and other minor upgrades to improve performance, fuel economy and reliability. My other concern is weight.... I am now thinking about all the ways to shed as much weight as practical without losing the DD ability. As the Bronco may be there until at least the new year, it will be decided on the Baja trip when and what work will be done in the meantime to bring it up to racing specs (both SCORE and CAMS). All your opinions, ideas, likes and dislikes are valuable, guys, please feel free to advise, criticise, etc. Some of you may not like the directions or mods I undertake, but in the end, I will have a bad Bronco to test out at the 2012 GFB Huckfest. For now, though, just some 2" leveling springs and good shocks will do until D day. Come on, Baja! :D :D :D
BajaF250
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250

Post by BajaF250 »

AusBroncodoc wrote:I need / want to talk face to face with these guys, touch/ see / feel for myself the parts offered and weigh up their collective advice before commiting to anyone in particular.
Rod,
Great approach to deciding. Both Mark K of SWP and John from Autofab are available right here in San Diego. I'm trying to talk John into coming on the Baja trip in Aug. You'll be able to see Autofab and SWP work on many of the Bronco's that will be on the trip. Threat is just up the road from San Diego and I don't know if any Threat equipped Broncos will be on the trip. But, you'll cover many of your questions directly when you're here. :D
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

AusBroncodoc wrote:Well, my choices are narrowed down some..... shocks will either be Fox or Bilstein, as I have found a Bilstein tech in Aus who is interested in what I am doing and willing to help me with valving, etc. if I want. Thats a big relief. Front suspension is still undecided, but my choices here are looking to Autofab, Southwest Performance or Threat Motorsports. Until I arrive and get to meet with all the partys in question, the front suspension is still up in the air. I need / want to talk face to face with these guys, touch/ see / feel for myself the parts offered and weigh up their collective advice before commiting to anyone in particular. The rear suspension is pretty much fixed for now: Deaver J40's, SWP shackles, upper shock mount and 3" Fox 3 tube bypasses OR Bilstein 4 tube 2.65" bypasses with limit straps, etc. Looking at K&N FIPK kit, Bassani headers and (maybe) Y pipe, 3" Flowmaster and side pipe, sixlitre tune and other minor upgrades to improve performance, fuel economy and reliability. My other concern is weight.... I am now thinking about all the ways to shed as much weight as practical without losing the DD ability. As the Bronco may be there until at least the new year, it will be decided on the Baja trip when and what work will be done in the meantime to bring it up to racing specs (both SCORE and CAMS). All your opinions, ideas, likes and dislikes are valuable, guys, please feel free to advise, criticise, etc. Some of you may not like the directions or mods I undertake, but in the end, I will have a bad Bronco to test out at the 2012 GFB Huckfest. For now, though, just some 2" leveling springs and good shocks will do until D day. Come on, Baja! :D :D :D

Rod,
Awesome that your doing your research on this. I am sure many of the folks here have a WEALTH of info to share.

If you decide to go Bilstein, Mark is pretty good friends with one of the sales reps, and I have a goood relationship with the head of the tuning department for Motorosports. I am sure we could get them to do some tuning for you. They already have a setup with Bronco valving for our setup (ask me how I know) and it works pretty darn good. And knowing your coming from Au, like Andy mentioned a few posts earlier, we could likely get Joel to come out and do some valving for ya!