Rod's US '94 Bronco

AussieRod
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.

Rod's US '94 Bronco

Post by AussieRod »

Well, guys, as some of you already know, I finally bought a Bronco in CA. I found this on CL in Oceano, and with SteveG's generous help, have purchased, smogged, insured and tagged it. Its missing the rear seat, has some leaks in the cooling system and trans, and is dirty from sitting for a while. The driver seat is ripped but the dash looks ok and the engine is strong. In fact, the smog tech was impressed it passed with flying colours. The rear window doesn't open and some other minor issues, but its not a bad buy. Now I am thinking about some sensible mods to make it more user friendly and able to handle the rough stuff with reliability. Any suggestions?
Last edited by AussieRod on Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nick
Founder
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target

Re: Rod's US '94 Bronco

Post by Nick »

Fuzzy dice and dingle balls.
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
AussieRod
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.

Post by AussieRod »

Nick wrote:Fuzzy dice and dingle balls.
Like f*#k! This ain't no poofdah-mobile :D :D
Nick
Founder

Post by Nick »

The eye-talians would dig it!
AussieRod

Post by AussieRod »

HAHAHAHAHA
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

gold spinners are the only way to go!
AussieRod

Post by AussieRod »

tcm glx wrote:gold spinners are the only way to go!
inside 24"ers ;)
BajaF250
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250

Post by BajaF250 »

Hey Rod,
Great deal... so, the real question is, what will you do with it? Will you ship it back to Aus eventually?

The very first thing I'd do is go over it with a fine tooth comb... make sure the drive train is solid, check the diff, axle bearings, seals; go over the transfer case; go over the tranny, replace all drive train fluids. Then give the engine a solid tune up, new plugs, wires, cap and rotor, replace all filters, oil and air, etc.

Check all the hoses, replace all of the coolant hoses, drain, flush and fill the radiator, replace the thermostat etc. Then, run and check all the vacuum lines to ensure you won't have a vacuum problem. Make sure the engine runs smoothly.

I'm a big Autofab fan so I'd go with a travel kit and bypass the drop down bracket avenue (not a big fan of drop down brackets for various reasons) and then a two link kit for the rear. Good place to start...
damon1272

Post by damon1272 »

I could be wrong on this but I think Aus. vehicle code requires suspension changes to be engineered or that is what I have read. Not bad mouthing John's product (as I own plenty of Autofab parts) but i don't think he has an engineers stamp on it?
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

damon1272 wrote:I could be wrong on this but I think Aus. vehicle code requires suspension changes to be engineered or that is what I have read. Not bad mouthing John's product (as I own plenty of Autofab parts) but i don't think he has an engineers stamp on it?
Well done cut and turn beams with Superduty radius arms. I doubt an inspector would spot anything questionable.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
AussieRod

Post by AussieRod »

BajaF250 wrote:Hey Rod,
Great deal... so, the real question is, what will you do with it? Will you ship it back to Aus eventually?

The very first thing I'd do is go over it with a fine tooth comb... make sure the drive train is solid, check the diff, axle bearings, seals; go over the transfer case; go over the tranny, replace all drive train fluids. Then give the engine a solid tune up, new plugs, wires, cap and rotor, replace all filters, oil and air, etc.

Check all the hoses, replace all of the coolant hoses, drain, flush and fill the radiator, replace the thermostat etc. Then, run and check all the vacuum lines to ensure you won't have a vacuum problem. Make sure the engine runs smoothly.

I'm a big Autofab fan so I'd go with a travel kit and bypass the drop down bracket avenue (not a big fan of drop down brackets for various reasons) and then a two link kit for the rear. Good place to start...
Gentleman SteveG has it in his care right now, giving it a good once over. He is replacing the radiator and lower hose, coolant, etc and giving the trans a service (at his leasure). He will update me on whatever it needs and I will get er done from there. Apparently, it runs great so a tune might be on the cards to keep it running good.
Bronco Info: 1979 Class 3 Race Bronco. Built in 2000.

Post by 300 »

Originally you were looking for a an 80-81. Since this is a 94, will you have to change it to right hand drive, or are you even shipping it over there?

OK, I just read the title again, sounds like you are going to use it here?
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

Ive got a rear seat out of my 96. It doesnt have the quick release bracket on it but otherwise complete. Its yours if yo uwant it...you must pick up. Its mint. I am tossing it otherwise.
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
Silverslk
Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Baur Bronco......GONE to a better home

Post by Silverslk »

A 1994 with Mass Air Flow, cool!! Should run real good (my 95 does). I bet you can't wait to get over here and drive it. What are the plans for suspension, tires/wheels, etc?
SteveG wrote:The point? It's amazing these front ends go down the road straight in any form! The TTB is brute. A broad sword and not a scalpel. That's why I love it!
AussieRod

Post by AussieRod »

300 wrote:Originally you were looking for a an 80-81. Since this is a 94, will you have to change it to right hand drive, or are you even shipping it over there?

OK, I just read the title again, sounds like you are going to use it here?
Actually, I probably paid less for this 94 than I would have for a good running 80 - 81. Beside, I would still have to convert it to RHD, even thou its 30+ years old. Because it is newer than 1988, I have to jump thru a lot of hoops and pay tons more cash to get it here. I will use it in the US of A, and eventually ship it home for a race rig only. I am considering mods that will make it a good race rig, rather than a DD, so I don't have to spend money twice or redo work already done.
Last edited by AussieRod on Wed May 11, 2011 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
AussieRod

Post by AussieRod »

damon1272 wrote:I could be wrong on this but I think Aus. vehicle code requires suspension changes to be engineered or that is what I have read. Not bad mouthing John's product (as I own plenty of Autofab parts) but i don't think he has an engineers stamp on it?
You're right there, our rules here are ridiculous to say the least. Coil overs are out, due to the spherical bearings in the ends, as are heim jointed or welded radius arms with spherical bearings, any welded suspension or steering component will need to be 100% X-rayed and engineer approved and only rubber or urethane bushing are allowed. I plan eventually to bring it back only for racing. ;)
Last edited by AussieRod on Wed May 11, 2011 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
AussieRod

Post by AussieRod »

Silverslk wrote:A 1994 with Mass Air Flow, cool!! Should run real good (my 95 does). I bet you can't wait to get over here and drive it. What are the plans for suspension, tires/wheels, etc?
I was pleasently surprised to find it was mass air, which opens some doors for performance improvement. I abso-f-ing-lutely cannot wait to get over there and drive it around in company with you guys :D I have some plans, still working them out now.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

You forgot - he's Austrailian - that should read "dingo" balls...
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
AussieRod

Post by AussieRod »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:
Kangaroo balls, Mate, kangaroo balls :D
Nick
Founder

Post by Nick »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:
:lol: :lol: