Brad's '94

Brad12
Bronco Info: STOLEN 1994 XLT, 6 in. Superlift, ext. RAs, 35X12.5 R15, TTB, 8.8, 351, 3.55, K&N

Brad's '94

Post by Brad12 »

Figured I might as well create a build thread, even though I really haven't done anything significant (especially compared to all the GoFast rides on this site!). Who doesn't like looking at pictures?

I got my bronco during the end of my junior year of high school and it got me all the way through college. I got it with the expectation that it would be a learning process as I would be doing all the work myself. It is my daily driver and I have really never had any major issues with it. Originally I was into having a trail worthy vehicle so I put a 6 inch Superlift with extended radius arms and a sky shackle flip on it. It remained unchanged until this last summer (2010) when I really decided that having a GoFast bronco is what I really want(ed) so I decided to treat myself to some Deavers. That is pretty much the story so far, eventually the plan will be coilovers, C&T beams, and all that jazz. I'll let the pictures say the rest:

Specs:
1994 Bronco XLT 5.8
6 inch Superlift front
Deaver J40s rear
extended brake lines front and rear
35X12.50X15 BFG M/Ts
15X10 Steel ProComp wheels
3.55 stock gears
herculined/sound deadening
napa ball joints
timken wheel bearings and seals

The day I brought it home, it had been in a collision hence the wood front bumper...

Very first project was Herculining the interior...

Didn't stay stock for long, 6 inch Superlift...

Shackle flip, terrible ride because I was young(er) and dumb(er) and never set the shackle or pinion angle properly...

Wheeled with it like that for awhile....

Got tired of not having carpet and of the noise, so I threw some peel'n'seal and carpet back in...

about 5-6 years later the only changes have been the deavers and stock shackles, a properly set pinion angle, and the correct bumper...

looks like most of the pictures of this install are still on my camera, but unfortunately I lost the cord to get them on my computer, so here is a picture from my phone...

And as it currently sits (I had the hood popped opened)...

Well thanks for taking the time to check out my build thread, it's really more of a place for me to keep a time line of everything I've done so far than a real build thread haha.

Long live the 92-96 front end!!!
Bronco was stolen in Berkeley, CA in 2014

I'm very slowly making my bronco go fast!
USA
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Re: Brad's '94

Post by SteveG »

You've got a good start. Add some good shocks to your current set up and ride and performance will improve dramatically. Keep it simple and keep enjoying it.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
Brad12
Bronco Info: STOLEN 1994 XLT, 6 in. Superlift, ext. RAs, 35X12.5 R15, TTB, 8.8, 351, 3.55, K&N

Post by Brad12 »

The superlift shocks that I've currently got are terrible. Doesn't help that I have banged them up pretty good either. I have got a LOT of body roll that I am really hoping some new shocks can help reduce. I saw a pretty good reduction in body roll when I switched to the J40s, but it is still pretty bad.
Bronco was stolen in Berkeley, CA in 2014

I'm very slowly making my bronco go fast!
USA
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

Great looking ride!
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

It will. I had beat up ranchos and I had a ton of body roll. Went to new shocks and even c/o I have very little body roll.
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
Brad12

Post by Brad12 »

Not much of an update, but went back to stock wheels and got some 35in. BFG A/Ts this weekend to replace my worn out M/Ts. It's amazing how much smoother the ride is on well-balanced tires, no more vibrations!

Are my lug nuts grabbing enough of the studs? I replaced them with slightly shorter ones (we're probably talking about 1/8in). The America's Tire guy assured me it's fine, but I'm not quite convinced...

Next up on my to-do list in no particular order:
Fix sloppy steering
4.56 Gears
Front suspension (probably Autofab's kit with radius arm rod ends)
Rmc
El Jefe
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner

Post by Rmc »

Regarding bolt threads, a bolts thread should be 2x the diameter after that there is no additional strength provided by length. So now u have to measure it up and see. You'll need a set of calipers. Hard to say by a picture.
ESHALLBETTER
Bronco Info: 85 class 3, 70's somthing trail bronco.

Post by ESHALLBETTER »

RMC is correct about the strength of the nut and bolt engagement, but I would not be comfortable running my lug nuts that way. There is a thread on here somewhere about people losing their tire/wheel, and you are just that much closer.

Nice bronco though, very clean. Keep progress pics coming.
Rmc
El Jefe
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner

Post by Rmc »

By the pic I say get longer studs, but I'm not sure what seat type the pictured lugs are so I just gave the basic rule of nuts and bolts. But losing a rear wheel is scary,a front wheel= death wish. I'd replace them with napa brand.
Brad12

Post by Brad12 »

Thank you for the help so far.
Rmc wrote:By the pic I say get longer studs, but I'm not sure what seat type the pictured lugs are so I just gave the basic rule of nuts and bolts. But losing a rear wheel is scary,a front wheel= death wish. I'd replace them with napa brand.
So I'm using stock replacement tapered lug nuts that I got from Amazon...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001O0 ... UTF8&psc=1

with stock replacement studs from O'Reilly's that I do remember being very slightly shorter
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detai ... &ppt=C0337

Any suggestion on where I can buy longer studs? The best I have found so far is some universal Ford studs from ARP that I'm not 100% will work.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/arp-1 ... /overview/
ESHALLBETTER
Bronco Info: 85 class 3, 70's somthing trail bronco.

Post by ESHALLBETTER »

I got the studs for both my broncos from Ron, give him a call and see if he can get you what you need.

http://9inchfloater.com/SpareParts/hubs ... _28_31.htm
Brad12

Post by Brad12 »

Got my LED kit installed. I only have a picture of the dash, which in my opinion is the coolest part. However, I might just like the dash lights best because I couldn't see anything left of the speedometer as soon as it got dark out :mrgreen:

keenanduran1
Bronco Info: 1993 Bronco. 1992 F150

Post by keenanduran1 »

I like the LED dash.
otter
Bronco Info: Currently in a holding pattern

Post by otter »

Not sure if you ever addressed the stud issue, but this is what I used. They are 9/16th studs. You need to open up the rear axles. No wheel mods.

balkamp #641-3223 Studs

dorman #611-162 lug nuts

Brad12

Post by Brad12 »

Thanks Otter, I always appreciate responses with brand and part numbers. The rear studs are long enough, however the front studs aren't. It would be nice to make the jump to 9/16ths though. I assume I would need to open up the front hubs to accept the 9/16th studs too, correct? Is there any modification needed on the rotor with these?
otter

Post by otter »

I am almost positive they press into the front with no issues. I only recall opening up the rear on my 9 inch. I am not sure if they press into the 8.8 with out drilling them out. Anyways it is just a very little that needs to be taken off of each hole. The knurl is not much bigger than the stock studs.
birdco85
Bronco Info: 95 5.8 MAF E4OD

Post by birdco85 »

Hey Otter is it a big deal that the shoulder length is about 3/16" shorter than the stock one?
otter

Post by otter »

I don't recall it being an issue. I don't even remember there being a difference.
VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Post by VintageIronFab »

If you want stock 1/2" studs-- Dorman 610-277 on the front is the longest stud made. I can say that unequivocally due to a tireless search for an alternative stud. The open ended nuts have full thread engagement with the stock Alcoa wheels.
birdco85
Bronco Info: 95 5.8 MAF E4OD

Post by birdco85 »

The shoulder length on the stock ones is .906 and the Napa ones are 23/32 or .718