Sydude's '92 Frame-off Restoration / Prerunner Build

yogib

Re: Sydude's '92 Frame-off Restoration / Prerunner Build

Post by yogib »

Nice.What injector size you running? Ive got some 24lb injectors Ive been planning to use.I think the stock 19lb are to small with the K&N,and headers and dual exhaust I have.
sydude
Bronco Info: 1992 Restored Bronco w/Built 302x, All Glass, Full Cage, Bilstein 9100's & Deavers

Post by sydude »

yogib wrote:Nice.What injector size you running? Ive got some 24lb injectors Ive been planning to use.I think the stock 19lb are to small with the K&N,and headers and dual exhaust I have.
I've got 30lb injectors that came withe the FMS mass-air kit, with an 80mm mass air sensor. From what I understand, 24lb injectors can support up to 350 horsepower or so, so it should be more than enough I would think. But you would probably benefit a lot with a custom EEC tune, especially if you're running without mass-air?

Also, I looked back at my front rotors and noticed that they aren't stock, sorry. I don't remember with what, but I must have replaced worn ones 6 or 7 years ago.

Sy
sydude
Bronco Info: 1992 Restored Bronco w/Built 302x, All Glass, Full Cage, Bilstein 9100's & Deavers

Post by sydude »

The weather has finally turned, so I got a chance to take the bronco out of the garage for a couple of quick pics. Some bodywork and a paint job still left to do, but she's coming along nicely. Also got a pair of Hella 4000's and a single 3000 cheap off ebay, which I mounted. The 33" tires look a bit puny, as soon as I can scrounge up enough cash I'll get some 35's.

yogib

Post by yogib »

Ya it looks to be coming along nicely.And ya those 33" tires look tiny for it.
sydude

Post by sydude »

Okee dokee, here we go (notes at the end)..

Notes:

- She drives amazing, the Deavers and Bilsteins make it ride like a Cadillac. HOWEVER, as it's much softer than stock and it has so much more travel, there is a far greater amount of pitch and roll (I ditched the roll bars, good riddance to them), and so now the Superunner Steering system I have is complete AWFUL for this application. The bump steer fluctuations are insane on accel/decel as well as cornering. I'm going to buy a used stock steering setup and put that in until I can get a proper single swinger equal length system in place. If you want to trade your stock steering system for my Superunner, I'm in.

- Drop brackets are going to be ditched and I'll get a set of cut, turned and widened TTB's as soon as I can afford it, probably at the same time as the steering. Autofab makes a complete setup, but it's pricey. Other options are Giant, and maybe Camburg (not sure if they would make the steering setup)

- No driveshafts are in right now, hence the blocks to keep it from rolling into the woods. I'm having the rear shaft rebuilt properly by a pro, as I did a complete balls up rebuilding the centering ball myself. It lasted about 50 miles before it almost whacked itself to death. :banghead

- Tires are too small, I know. Looks completely dorky. 35's are in the plan, mounted on 17" Walker Evans simlocks. Either getting Procomp Extreme A/T's, General Grabber Comp DOT's, Toyo A/T's or Toyo M/T's.

- Full family roll cage by Protofab will be here in a week or two.

- Windshield trim is not in completely, as I can't figure out how the heck to push the clips back in. :duh I'm taking it to a glass shop and letting them do it for me.

- Spare tire mounting method on the back is just a mockup. Will figure out how to do a proper job of it after the cage is in.

- No doors, top or tailgate - just for the summer. The side mirror is a knock-off Jeep soft top door mirror I bought from Summit Racing for $38 each. I had to drill in a new pattern to match the Bronco hinge plate nut thingie.Works perfectly, and if I can find half an hour I'll do the same with the passenger side. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CIP-44400

- Paint is Kirker Hot Rod Black, prepped and painted by me in my driveway. The paintjob's a five footer - any closer, and you can see that I sprayed it too dry, so it's a bit eggshelly. My plan is to steal my friend's DA sander, hit it lightly and give it another coat or two properly. But it still looks pretty good for now.

- Inner front fender wells are going to be custom stainless steel made by a friend, and I'll do it before the winter. It's fine the way it is for now, no salt on the road till then.

- Winch still not installed, as I lost my controller. (Another :duh ) Anyone got a Warn controller they want to part with very cheaply?

There it is, long time coming. I'm hoping to have my driveshaft back tomorrow, trying to take her to the beach for Memorial Day.
sydude

Post by sydude »

Another pic:

Nick
Founder
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target

Post by Nick »

Wow Sy, it's been a long journey, great job!
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
convoy

Post by convoy »

I didn't know carbeau offered replacement seat covers for rear bench? Or was this something you had made?
sydude

Post by sydude »

convoy wrote:I didn't know carbeau offered replacement seat covers for rear bench? Or was this something you had made?
I bought extra matching material from corbeau and had a local shop recover the seats using it. Came out cheeper than a new seat.
Nick wrote:Wow Sy, it's been a long journey, great job!
Thanks, Nick.
Brad12
Bronco Info: STOLEN 1994 XLT, 6 in. Superlift, ext. RAs, 35X12.5 R15, TTB, 8.8, 351, 3.55, K&N

Post by Brad12 »

what length 5150s did you use with the J40s in back?
Bronco was stolen in Berkeley, CA in 2014

I'm very slowly making my bronco go fast!
USA
Conversekidz
Bronco Info: 1989 Bronco Custom, 4" Dick Cepek Lift Kit, 33" Wrangler Duratrac

Post by Conversekidz »

How long did you extend your front and rear brake lines? Who did you order them through?
sydude

Post by sydude »

Here are the shocks I ordered and the prices I paid from eshocks.com

BF5-A195-H1 Bilstein 8.5" 5150 2 $99.95 $199.90
BF5-A196-H0 Bilstein 10" 5150 2 $99.95 $199.90
BF5-A187-H1 Bilstein 12" 5150 2 $99.95 $199.90
192228 Stem Conversion for Front Shocks 4 $19.10 $76.40

And I think I ordered the front brake lines and the single rear drop line from JBG. The rear brake lines were from street rod mfg.
Brad12
Bronco Info: STOLEN 1994 XLT, 6 in. Superlift, ext. RAs, 35X12.5 R15, TTB, 8.8, 351, 3.55, K&N

Post by Brad12 »

sydude wrote:Here are the shocks I ordered and the prices I paid from eshocks.com

BF5-A195-H1 Bilstein 8.5" 5150 2 $99.95 $199.90
BF5-A196-H0 Bilstein 10" 5150 2 $99.95 $199.90
BF5-A187-H1 Bilstein 12" 5150 2 $99.95 $199.90
192228 Stem Conversion for Front Shocks 4 $19.10 $76.40

And I think I ordered the front brake lines and the single rear drop line from JBG. The rear brake lines were from street rod mfg.

Thanks Sydude, great looking Bronco by the way.
Bronco was stolen in Berkeley, CA in 2014

I'm very slowly making my bronco go fast!
USA
Conversekidz

Post by Conversekidz »

Sydude,

With your choice of going with the 12" shocks in the rear, its looks like you are using stock mounting points. Do the shocks bottom out under full compression of the rear, or is it fine until it hits the bump stops?
sydude

Post by sydude »

Conversekidz wrote:Sydude,

With your choice of going with the 12" shocks in the rear, its looks like you are using stock mounting points. Do the shocks bottom out under full compression of the rear, or is it fine until it hits the bump stops?
Yes, they're the stock mounting points. But I haven't come even close to maxing out the bump travel, so I just don't know what will hit first. Sorry. I would call the offroad racing tech guy at Bilstein and ask him (I think his name was Scott?) - he was very knowledgable in regards to their shocks and Broncos.
Brad12 wrote:Thanks Sydude, great looking Bronco by the way.
Thank you!
Conversekidz

Post by Conversekidz »

Thanks for the reply sydude

I'm going to end up doing the same thing with my rear setup.

Last question, did you have to extended the drive shaft, or did you just run the stocker rebuilt?
sydude

Post by sydude »

Conversekidz wrote:Thanks for the reply sydude

Last question, did you have to extended the drive shaft, or did you just run the stocker rebuilt?
I run stock, but I'm not convinced yet that the driveshaft doesn't need to be extended. Most importantly, you will have to do something with your pinion angle, especially if you have the longer shackles - they make the pinion angle even worse. I'm taking the wedge out of mine and replacing the stock spring perch with a set of long anti-wrap ones from RuffStuff, and re-adjusting the pinion angle.
Conversekidz

Post by Conversekidz »

sydude wrote:
Conversekidz wrote:Thanks for the reply sydude

I run stock, but I'm not convinced yet that the driveshaft doesn't need to be extended. Most importantly, you will have to do something with your pinion angle, especially if you have the longer shackles - they make the pinion angle even worse. I'm taking the wedge out of mine and replacing the stock spring perch with a set of long anti-wrap ones from RuffStuff, and re-adjusting the pinion angle.

The plan is to run the stock shaft to get me up and running so I can get to and from work (the bronco is my DD)

Until I have the $$$ to go with a 9" rear end, i'm just going to burn on new perch's to correct the angle so I do not need to run a wedge block, and when I do that I will also have my fab shop do a 2 link system on the rear to stop axle wrap.

For the extension, couldn't you just extend the carden joint?
sydude

Post by sydude »

Conversekidz wrote:For the extension, couldn't you just extend the carden joint?
Not sure. Anyone else?
4eyelove
Bronco Info: 1995 bronco 351w e4od

Post by 4eyelove »

Any updates?? I love this build!