Mike's '95 grocerygetter

lifeinthesouth
Bronco Info: 95 5.0L/E4OD

Mike's '95 grocerygetter

Post by lifeinthesouth »

I picked up my '95 XL about 2 years ago and have worked on it a little here and there as funds permit.
I'm lucky to have access to a full shop so i can do most the work myself.
It had 120k on the 5.0/E4OD and runs like a champ so i did the basic tune-up stuff; new plugs, FRP wires, MSD coil and dist cap, fresh fluids, new filter on the K&N intake.
The PO had thrown on some of those poly leveling spacers up front and an AAL in the back and done some mild wheelin as can be seen from the pinstripes.
I decided to keep it at 2" of lift and coil/shock configuration... keepin it simple. I only had one minor clearance issue that could 've been fixed with a 90 fitting on the pass side shock but i had to trim some of the AC box away which is a non-issue since i have an AC delete pulley anyway. The front bumper is based off the mount plates i picked up from Brian and worked out perfect. The rear is one fabbed up using the stock mounting locations.
I'm running 2.5x10 kings with a skyjacker 2" lift coil, Solo RA's. It's cycles just shy of 14" limited by the spring... still gotta get straps! I replaced the axle pivot bushings and man did that suck, even worse than grinding and airchiseling the rivets.
I haven't done anything to the rear yet; just waiting for the money tree to start growing again. For the interior i built a bolt-in structure to secure the spares, tie in harnesses, stow the hi-lift and shovel.
Just wanna give a thanks to the folks at Downsouth motorsports for excellent customer service and shock tuning and doing the legwork to save mucho $$$ on shipping by using USPS also to Solo for more great customer service and everyone i picked up parts from here and there.

Pics!
Last edited by lifeinthesouth on Fri May 13, 2011 11:35 am, edited 5 times in total.
lifeinthesouth

Re: Mike's '95 grocerygetter

Post by lifeinthesouth »

All tires and spares 33x12.5 15
lifeinthesouth

Post by lifeinthesouth »

Dropped it off for an alignment (the ford dealer was actually the cheapest place on island) and found that i have two bad balljoints... they quoted me $1350 to replace them... i laughed got in the truck and went to napa to pick up four new ones and will install tomorrow!
JERAD121
Bronco Info: 95 EX BORDER PATROL BRONCO. 6'' LIFT 35'' BFG. 4.56 GEARS STOCK LITTLE 302

Post by JERAD121 »

Looks great
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

Can we get some pictures of your tire mounts.. pretty interesting setup, I like it!
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

I dig the front shock towers/coil buckets - simple and effective!
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Ditto. Nice job on those.

Unless you're going coil-over, a single 2.5 or 3" shock behind the coil-bucket is the most bang for your buck/time. Relocating all the crap under the hood on later model Broncos blows.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
lifeinthesouth

Post by lifeinthesouth »

Thanks guys!
tcm glx wrote:Can we get some pictures of your tire mounts.. pretty interesting setup, I like it!
Here's a little better picture from the inside to give you an idea.
I'm not sure what model year they started with the seatbelt bolts on the wheel well but that's what i tied into on the sides, they could be added just by drilling and adding some plate and running bolts through.
It consists of 2 uprights, a top tube with holes drilled to weld in threaded rod for jack and shovel, a mid tube just below seatbacks to wraparound shoulder harnesses and two angled tubes for bracing.
I run the strap through the tires and loop around the angled tubes; they're very secure that way but the uprights also aid in securing and preventing any movement as well.

tomorrow's project:
PELLEY
Bronco Info: 1990 5.8L, auto, roll-a-long.

Post by PELLEY »

Really like your set up. I'm getting ready to do a very similar install myself. Glad to see I'm not the only one thinking 2" coils can be used to build a simple desert ride!
lifeinthesouth

Post by lifeinthesouth »

What a diiference new balljoints make; took a ton of slop out of the steering and no longer have that wandering feeling. I found i also had a destroyed pass side axle u-joint and replaced that. None of it went easy but glad i took care of it.

Built the engine crossmember; just gotta pick up some real resi clamps; zip ties are temp.
bajascott
My belly is my best friend
Bronco Info: its black, its fun to drive,and i dont have enough money to build it the way i want to!:)

Post by bajascott »

very cool! great job,i like the shock towers.i like the whole thing. im jealous!
FRONT YARD FABRICATION
http://ssfab-n-offroad.com/
lifeinthesouth

Post by lifeinthesouth »

Thanks Scott; this has been my biggest endeavor as far as a fab project goes. When i'm not pressed for time i have good results but if there's anything we never have enough it's time and money.
I want to start on the rear shock mounts but i'm preparing for a transfer and just can't seem to make time to get in the shop.