Kav's '96 AKA "Moby Dick"

Kav
Bronco Info: '96 XL 351W

Kav's '96 AKA "Moby Dick"

Post by Kav »

Nothing too big, I added a radio to the Bronco. I'm going to call Rugged Radios on Monday and get some mounts for the antennas. The fire department cut out half of the wiring for them. Plus where the antenna screws on has seen better days. I have some tires on the way and some other odds and ends coming too. And lucky me, it looks like I may have an unexpected deployment this summer. So that will be adding some funds to this project.

Step by step process for the radio install:

Started with this (diamond plate FTW):

Some disassembly:

Some reusing of old diamond plating panel:

The radio is dual band UHF/VHF so I have a splitter for the different antennas:

Powered up on the first try:

Crappy shots of the antennas. More of a test fit for now. Saddly they are back where the cab meets the fiberglass top. That's where the old mounts were, and I do not want to drill even more holes in the roof. So there they will stay.

philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Re: Kav's '96 AKA "Moby Dick"

Post by philofab »

Your interior looks just like mine.

The very back of the cab is the best place for a 2 meter antenna. It uses the roof as a ground plane.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
Kav

Post by Kav »

Really? I thought that you wanted to have the antenna in the middle of the roof. That way it has metal surrounding it. That's good to know then.
bajascott
My belly is my best friend
Bronco Info: its black, its fun to drive,and i dont have enough money to build it the way i want to!:)

Post by bajascott »

basicly 18" sq inches of ground plain. so anywhere on the cab. philo was wasnt talking about the fiberglass.
FRONT YARD FABRICATION
http://ssfab-n-offroad.com/
Kav

Post by Kav »

Sorry, by roof I met the middle of the metal roof. I was thinking the antenna had to be for the most part in the middle of a metal ground plane. Learn something new every day.
Kav

Post by Kav »

Unrelated to the radio, I got these over the weekend, 15"x8". I have some General Grabbers that should be here by Tuesday. So I'm hoping by Thursday I will have them mounted and on the Bronco.

Kav

Post by Kav »

Well, what do you know? One of the rims I was sent has the wrong bolt pattern (the one on the upper left in the pic above). It looks to be a 5x4.5. Good thing I checked them before I mounted tires on them. So I'm going to see how long that is going to take to sort out. Lucky me, I have one more matching rim with a Grabber tire on it as the spare already. So for now I'm just going to have to keep an old tire/rim as the spare.
bajascott
Bronco Info: its black, its fun to drive,and i dont have enough money to build it the way i want to!:)

Post by bajascott »

wow that sucks... i like your console.
and as far as your ground plain goes your right, center of the roof is best and i was wrong about 18sq in its 18" circle for best results.
anyway looks good so far.
we are pic whores here so post more!! haha
FRONT YARD FABRICATION
Kav

Post by Kav »

Ya, I'm a little bent over it. But in the end it's a minor thing.

As far as the antennas go, I already have 4 holes in the metal part of the roof. 3 are for antennas. The last one is just covered with clear silicone. I'm guessing that the FD used the siliconed hole to run the wires to the emergency lights on top. I'd like to ditch one of the antennas and use the hole for roof light wiring. The one plugged up with clear silicone would be a better spot for an antenna. But I think if I ever upgrade my GPS any external antenna will be too big to cleanly fit where the body had that little kick up right before the fiberglass. So it would have to take that spot.

On to the console. I friggen love that thing. It's just damn big. I've already put the race radio in the very front. I'd like to install an intercom, a switch panel, and maybe something else in the open space in the front. Seems made for it and there is a ton of room to work with.

The nice thing about the center part of the console is that I can put a 20 pack of longnecks in there if I want. Years ago when I still lived in Ridgecrest, CA when you bought a 20 pack it came in a nice lined cooler. I still have a few of those things floating around. So on long trips I put the cooler in the middle filled with ice, drinks, snacks, and what not. It's deep enough that once the cooler is in there you can put a full loaf of bread on top. Perfect for getting someone to make me a sandwich on the road. ;) One clever thing the PO did right before I got it was put some Velcro on the back of the remote to the radio he installed. Once you set it down it's going nowhere. Although he made up for it with the wiring for the head unit. It was wired AFU big time. I fixed all of that about a month ago when I put some Sony speakers in. Sorry no pics of the speaker install/radio wiring fiasco.

The back of the console is the closest thing she has to cup holders.

And of course, more pics:

The pit:

Like I said, a 20 pack:
Last edited by Kav on Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bajascott

Post by bajascott »

nice !!
FRONT YARD FABRICATION
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

Sweet! I need one of those...
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
Kav

Post by Kav »

So I come home today to a little surprise. As I pull up into the driveway I find these Just sitting there:

They were not supposed to get here until tomorrow, so I'm pretty happy.

So I load up three of them and grab the three good rims and I'm off to the auto hobby shop on the base to get them mounted.

A short while later I get back to my house swap tires out and:

I also called Rugged Radios this morning to get the rest of the stuff I need for the radio on order. I'm hoping to have it all in a week or so depending on when some parts get in.

After that I have one more project I want to knock out pending parts and money before I got to Yuma, AZ next month. If not I will take care of it once I get back provided I'm not turning around to go to Africa soon after.
Kav

Post by Kav »

Better shot of the Bronco:

I'm hoping I will get some more parts in to keep me busy through the weekend...
Kav

Post by Kav »

Had to pack up the house for a trip to Africa, Updates when I return...

But in the mean time, here is a few pics to hold you over.

And the best way to carry a bike if you are not expecting rain: