94 OJ Build

damon1272

94 OJ Build

Post by damon1272 »

Hello,
Wanted to introduce myself.
Bought a 1994 Bronco with a 351, E4od, with dual shocks, and alcoa wheels about 8 years ago with the intention of building a prerunner much like the BFG Bronco. I drove that Bronco when it was at Spirit and decided one day that I wanted a truck much like it.
Anyways, 8 years later with life getting in the way as it always does, I figure I need to get going on things and to quit collecting parts and tools to do the work. One of the biggest hold backs that I have had is figuring out what I want to do with this truck and to what extent. I am pretty sure that I have things pinned down as to where I want to go but I had a few questions regarding shocks and hiems before I start cutting things up.
Let me start with where I want this truck to go. Reading denhabr's post http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/...d.php?t=146007 helped to solidify what I want to do with the truck and like many others go down this same sort of road. Most of my off roading will be doing vehicle support or playing in the Occotillo Wells area.
As for the build I am looking at running 14" coilovers w/res and 16" w/res on the front with a standard width front end possibly with air bumps. Nothing special. In the rear running deavers with a two link and 4-12" shocks. Looking to get 16" out of the front and 18" out of the rear.
I plan on running a 9" rear end with 4.56 gearing with tru tracs front and rear and eventaually moving up to 35's when these tire wear out (33's).
As for the motor, I plan on building a lightning motor as I have assembled many of the parts; heads, cam, valvetrain. Just need an intake and headers and may look to go mass air later on.
Eventually I would tie everything together with a cage. Looking to go 2"x.120 and have it bolt to the frame w/fishplates.
I have a few questions that may have been asked before but I would like some further input. I have riden in prerunners with bushing mounted cages and bushing mounted suspension. Nice quite ride but the bushings took a beating after a while. I am looking for feedback as to really how load are running hiems for the radius arms and TTB pivot points? How much longer do the hiems last versus bushings? Is it really that big of a deal?
My other questions being about shocks. I see that many people run the Sway a way shocks and that John at Auto fab recommends them for various reasons. How do the sway a ways compare to king and fox as far as performance overall? I would like some feed back before I press the add to cart button!
Sorry for the long winded post. I will get some pictures up soon
Silverslk
Bronco Info: 1995 Eddie Baur Bronco......GONE to a better home

Re: 94 OJ Build

Post by Silverslk »

Any reason you aren't considering Bilstein shocks?
SteveG wrote:The point? It's amazing these front ends go down the road straight in any form! The TTB is brute. A broad sword and not a scalpel. That's why I love it!
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

Great post, make sure you get some pics going for us!!

Also, x2 on the Bilstein comment from SLK:
http://www.gofastbroncos.com/forum/view ... ?f=5&t=125
damon1272

Post by damon1272 »

Silverslk wrote:Any reason you aren't considering Bilstein shocks?
No reason specifically. I should have included them also. I am really just looking for some input as to what shocks to run. I have 2- 2 1/2 x 16 sway a ways that never were used from an old project. I was just going to go with sway a way for the truck as I already had two but I wanted to get feed back before I really commit. I am not married to the sway a ways and would consider selling them to go with a "better" brand.
damon1272

Post by damon1272 »

Well I could not resist the deal put out by Solo Motorsports. I talked to Pual today and ordered a set of cut and turned beams and extended radius arms. I originally planned on building these parts myself but at these prices it does not make sense for me to spend my time on this portion of the build and allows me to move forward with the build quite a bit faster as my time is devided between side jobs, family, and completing my masters degree.
I am still trying to decide what shocks to run but I am looking pretty hard at going with Bilstein especially becuase they are right down the road from me. If so then I am going to sell my two sway a ways and a pistol of mine to help finance my build.
I am looking at going with the 9100 series coil overs with air bumps. As for working on the truck this weekend, I have to pull the processor and have it rebuilt. The truck will be down for about a week till I get the processor back. Here are some photos for my stocker 94 OJ.
Attachments
Picture 001 (3).jpg
Picture 001 (3).jpg (144.64 KiB) Viewed 2230 times
Picture 001 (2).jpg
Picture 001 (2).jpg (124.88 KiB) Viewed 2230 times
Picture 001.jpg
Picture 001.jpg (140.07 KiB) Viewed 2230 times
Nick
Founder
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target

Post by Nick »

Solo puts out some nice stuff, and you will totally be happy with the customer service that they provide.
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
tcm glx
Peanut Butter

Post by tcm glx »

Looking good, are those 33" KM2 on there? I am very happy with my 9100s. Since your in San Diego, and you mention your close to Bilstein, I would highly recomend getting in touch with "MKeifer" on these forums. He owns southwest performance, and has the engine cage for coilovers down to a science. He did mine (which is also on 9100s front and rear)
damon1272

Post by damon1272 »

Yes those are the KM2 tires. Not bad, they look good but I think when they wear out I will go back to the All Terrains. Sadly the thing that really promted me to do the suspension on the truck was the tires always rubbing on the front bumper. I had it moved out for the All Terrains but the KM2's are larger. I will be starting on the front and rear bumpers soon. I also have to get in touch with Mark about doing some work dependant on how my schedule works out. I am working on getting my masters degree and that occupies some of my time dependant on course load.
Mark did a nice job on your Bronco and I though it ways a pretty slick way of mounting the shocks.
damon1272

Post by damon1272 »

Picked up some cut and turned beams and radius arms from Solo. Their deal was just too good to pass. It saves me a bunch of time building these parts myself. Just need to clear a few projects out of the way and then I can get started on the front end. On another note I am going to start cutting the rivets out of the frame and installing bolts. PITA but it should eliminate some of the popping in the front end.
damon1272

Post by damon1272 »

Reserecting a post from the dead. Life has gotten in the way again. Just about done with school so I have started acquiring parts again and getting readin to really do some work on this thing. I liked much of Brads build and it helped me make some decisions. I sold the Solo radius arms and beams that I had along with some sway a way shocks.

I ended up picking up an extended autofab from Wille (thanks!). This has caused me to deal with teh truck being wider. I will have to go with new body work all the way around.

I picked up my 9.75 rear end out of a Raptor today along with some lightly used national springs w/military wrap. I need to redrill the bolt patern on the axles. Picked up some M/T 17 wheels from Wille (he was having a fire sale) and I am acquiring some 35' for the truck.

Keifer is building shock towers for me and I will use bilstiens for shocks all the way around. Before I lift it I want to get the body work done, assemble the front end then look to finish the rear off. After that I will look to take a couple of weeks off next year and do the cage. Anyways I have spent a bit of money and the truck is in the same condition..go figure. 3 more months and I can get started!
tcm glx
Peanut Butter

Post by tcm glx »

damon1272 wrote:Reserecting a post from the dead. Life has gotten in the way again. Just about done with school so I have started acquiring parts again and getting readin to really do some work on this thing. I liked much of Brads build and it helped me make some decisions. I sold the Solo radius arms and beams that I had along with some sway a way shocks.

I ended up picking up an extended autofab from Wille (thanks!). This has caused me to deal with teh truck being wider. I will have to go with new body work all the way around.

I picked up my 9.75 rear end out of a Raptor today along with some lightly used national springs w/military wrap. I need to redrill the bolt patern on the axles. Picked up some M/T 17 wheels from Wille (he was having a fire sale) and I am acquiring some 35' for the truck.

Keifer is building shock towers for me and I will use bilstiens for shocks all the way around. Before I lift it I want to get the body work done, assemble the front end then look to finish the rear off. After that I will look to take a couple of weeks off next year and do the cage. Anyways I have spent a bit of money and the truck is in the same condition..go figure. 3 more months and I can get started!

you will be pleased with Keifers stuff
damon1272

Post by damon1272 »

Well, many things have changed since last posting a while ago. Sold the Solo kit and shocks and have changed what I plan to build quite a bit. I have assembled many parts and will be going into the shop soon. Parts on hand are:
Auto fab fenders, bedsides and hood
Southwest Performance shock towers
Autofab widened front end with radius arms (Nick, I am the one that nabbed them from Wille a while back)
National Springs in the rear With a Spirit two link that I built years ago.
Rear Axle is out of a Raptor to match the width of the front end
Short bodied 14" big 60 w/acv valves for the front and 17 " 4 tube bypasses for the rear (Bilsteins)
2" Bilstein air bumps for the front and 4" for the rear
Twisted Stich pro seats
17" MT wheels
New body mounts

First things first will be the installation of the body mounts. Once the body is square I am going to mount all the glass and relocate the battery. Build a front bumper. Once that is complete i plan on installing the front end and then cut the bed for the rear end install. When done then it will be time for the cage. Anyways I have a ton of parts and a lot of work to get started on.
I would like to thank Southwest Performance for the help that has been given up to this point, Joel at Bilstein for hooking me up, and Wille for hooking me up with the autofab front end. Anyways I plan on tearing this thing apart soon but keeping it road worthy between stages so that it does not turn into a hanger queen that does not ever get finished.
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Sounds like a good plan! Pics!?
Sho nuff,
SteveG
Nick
Founder
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target

Post by Nick »

Very cool!
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
funinthesun95
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco MAF UsShift

Post by funinthesun95 »

When you going to call so I can come help you...... thanks for dropping off the tcase
Good people + Great info = GFB
@csracingteam
@Cockstarmotorsports
damon1272

Post by damon1272 »

Holy necro post batman. It has been a long time and not too much has changed. Added 4:56 and 35's for a trip a few years ago. Though I have not done too much work to the truck much of the parts that will be going on it have changed. Right now I am getting the body work done for paint in the next month or so. Went with Autofab fenders all around. Debating weather to pick up the tail gate from auto fab. The original has some cancer coming through. Hell what's another $850 into a truck that has been stock forever?

So this weekend I installed the solid body mounts before mounting beginning to mount the fenders. Driver side fender bracket is done except for some finish welding and tabbing. Building the driver side today. Slow going as I haven't done much fabrication in years, having to get used to doing things, thinking of where and what order to make bends, and then fish mouthing, I hate fish mouthing tubing as I am slow. Though things are taking longer than I had anticipated I am happy with the results. Hope to finish off the other fender bracket next Saturday and mount the front fenders then work on the hood.

After body then I will jump into installing the newer engine and trans. Mass air 460 with E4OD. After the engine and wiring harness will be the front suspension ( +3 Autofab front end with SWP towers) and SWP steering. Waiting on Flight Industry knuckles before tackling the front suspension. Plan to use my van rear end for now with Deavers then a cage it. Have a ton more parts to install but need to get the body work done first.