Brian's '96

yikes
Founder
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff

Re: Brian's '96

Post by yikes »

Come on T. That's a no brainer. These are 1/4" crap. I'm starting to wonder if they're some Camburg knock-offs or something. Yours are 1/2", I believe.
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

yikes wrote:Come on T. That's a no brainer. These are 1/4" crap. I'm starting to wonder if they're some Camburg knock-offs or something. Yours are 1/2", I believe.

Thats what I wanted to check...... Plus, I am no Beeler (drive it like you stole it) but still, preventive maintenance is the best one right!!

Anyways, excited to see more work on your rig!
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

yikes wrote:Come on T. That's a no brainer. These are 1/4" crap. I'm starting to wonder if they're some Camburg knock-offs or something. Yours are 1/2", I believe.
You know, it is possible to use design to eliminate the need for such heavy material. At this point (post-damage), adding material is definitely the easiest solution.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
Nick
Founder
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target

Post by Nick »

Nuff said...
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
yikes
Founder

Post by yikes »

SteveG wrote:You know, it is possible to use design to eliminate the need for such heavy material. At this point (post-damage), adding material is definitely the easiest solution.
Yeah, I realize that Steve. Given how I intend to relocate my coil spring, the added material is a necessity. The bending is a result of the beam trying to push into the radius arm on big hits, which is why Autofab integrated the back support. I may integrate something like that as well.

Get that crappy picture out of my thread Nick! This is Yikesfab! Haha! Actually, I would be curious to see how those hold up in a 30-0 impact.
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

yikes wrote:
SteveG wrote:Actually, I would be curious to see how those hold up in a 30-0 impact.
I don't know if you remember a couple years ago when I was gathering parts for a friend and bought an entire used front end... The truck the parts came off was ran into a rock at speed and rolled (supposedly around 60mph). The impact side radius arm bowed a bit and the frame was trashed where the pivot bracket attached. The beam attachment end was fine. Instead of buying a new arm I ended up straightening it and plating over the tubes on both arms.

I agree that heavier material is good since you're relocating the coil. Adding the third mounting point also adds strength to the housing and keeps the beam/arm assembly from rotating on the radius arm bolts.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
yikes
Founder

Post by yikes »

One down.

bajascott
My belly is my best friend
Bronco Info: its black, its fun to drive,and i dont have enough money to build it the way i want to!:)

Post by bajascott »

ok i get it now,you are moving the coil in board because of the extended beam.
for a few i was like _ then i was like ok
FRONT YARD FABRICATION
http://ssfab-n-offroad.com/
yikes
Founder

Post by yikes »

I started this today to get a visual of how I'm going to mount the buckets, shocks and fab the shock towers. Obviously the shock towers are not modeled yet. Still have to snag some key dimensions for the shocks and buckets, but this is close to how they'll sit; although the shock is about an inch or so too low. The basic proportions are right. Do any of you have CAD drawings/dimensions for SAW's?

yikes
Founder

Post by yikes »

Whipped out some end caps for the bumpers this morning.

Did a little more work on the suspension layout. Actually, this is probably as far as it will go. Just wanted something to stare at before I get started.

tcm glx
Peanut Butter

Post by tcm glx »

Your pics look great Brian!! I am looking forward to seeing this come to fruition ....
yikes
Founder

Post by yikes »

tcm glx wrote:Your pics look great Brian!! I am looking forward to seeing this come to fruition ....
Thanks T. One step at a time and it should be done for the 500. Finished the radius arms and glued the caps on the main tube. Went for the "pretty weld", but.....not. Haha! Now the welds for the studs on the radius arms? They were done the right way. No trigger.

tcm glx
Peanut Butter

Post by tcm glx »

Man, you seem to be on a mission.... .working on it consistenly now!! Did you already get the SAW back?
yikes
Founder

Post by yikes »

They were supposed to complete them this week. Can't wait to get'm here. Shootin' for coils this week and getting them mounted next weekend, then I can focus on the shocks.
Drilim
Bronco Info: 94

Post by Drilim »

Glad you decided to keep the buckets. Rocking it old school all the way. Keep the pictures coming sir.
yikes
Founder

Post by yikes »

Here some progress on the bumper. Decided to go with rectangular tube for the horns this time to save some weight and give it a different look than the last couple. Trying to use materials I have to save $$$$$$$, but that didn't last long. Haha! Thought I could get both sides with what I had, but nope.

Dust
Bronco Info: Go Slow Ford's From 1957 to 1994

Post by Dust »

Quick perhaps dumb question.
Why relocate the springs :?:
yikes
Founder

Post by yikes »

Dust wrote:Quick perhaps dumb question.
First: I extended my beams from the pivot end 1 1/4" per side and the geometry is no longer correct, which is why they need to be moved inboard. Second: I'm going to be using a 3x12 shock in front of the beam, so maximizing available wheel travel makes it necessary to move the coil back.
Dust
Bronco Info: Go Slow Ford's From 1957 to 1994

Post by Dust »

yikes wrote:
Dust wrote:Quick perhaps dumb question.
First: I extended my beams from the pivot end 1 1/4" per side and the geometry is no longer correct, which is why they need to be moved inboard. Second: I'm going to be using a 3x12 shock in front of the beam, so maximizing available wheel travel makes it necessary to move the coil back.
Makes sense.
Thanks!
tcm glx
Peanut Butter

Post by tcm glx »

B! What is the scoop on the jig for the front bumper... is that a Yikes Fab build?

FOr your bumper, are you liminating the lights... and running the bumper up close and personal to the trim?