Post by cs_drums »

No, 3.0s are too small for Brian
birdco85
Bronco Info: 95 5.8 MAF E4OD

Brian's '96

Post by birdco85 »

Haha. Trying to get mine dialed in.
1Hondalover
Bronco Info: Having so much fun with friends in Baja, we're not sure if we want to race NORRA.....

Re: Brian's '96

Post by 1Hondalover »

yikes wrote:Finally! After all these years, finally took the Bronco to Mirage Racing to get weighed and get some fresh eyes on the rear valving. Found out the old beast is actually a swine. It weighs a portly 5833lbs with 1/2 tank of gas and just shy of trail ready trim. Throw in a full tank, cooler, Carmen, me and a few odds n ends and it will be pushing 6300-6400lbs. That's a lot of weight to be throwing around! I can't believe this thing hasn't self destructed from the years of abuse.

Geez Brian.....are you carrying your workout iron in there?
IMG_6734 (Medium).JPG
IMG_6734 (Medium).JPG (159.42 KiB) Viewed 3885 times
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Brian's '96

Post by cs_drums »

Before 37s minus tool bagImage
dtbback
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig

Post by dtbback »

I have a question about your rear shock mount.

Are there preexisting holes on the top part of the "C" that you utilized for the mounting bolts or sid you drill those in?
Rmc
El Jefe
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner

Post by Rmc »

I believe you on the weight considering last time I got stuck it took 5 of us plus a rhino pulling to get it out.
yikes
Founder
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff

Post by yikes »

dtbback wrote:I have a question about your rear shock mount.

Are there preexisting holes on the top part of the "C" that you utilized for the mounting bolts or sid you drill those in?
It's been a few years since I actually looked at it, but as I recall I had to pop out cross member rivets on the forward hole and drill the others. I'll crawl under there and have a look when I get a chance.
yikes
Founder

Post by yikes »

yikes wrote:I re-valved the rear shocks four times recently and wasn't getting quite the results I was hoping for, but wow! was I close. Just a couple slight tweaks made a huge difference in initial "comfort". No more annoying kicks on one inch bumps. Hahaha! Bill, or should I say Brian decided I had the compression really close with a flutter 15 stack and a double 1.750 diameter. He changed one shim on rebound. I was running a 15 2.05 then a 20 stack. He swapped the 1.90 shim for a 15 also, then started the bypass at 5 turns. My Compression bypasses were near where he thought they should be. He also dropped the pressure from 265psi to 200. Bill suggested testing there, then dropping to 185 to feel the difference. Time to get out for some testing.
Follow up: The rear feels much smoother in the chop and thus far I haven't noticed any adverse affects on the rebound side. The lower shock pressure yields better compliance over both high frequency bumps and whoops. In previous form, it was fast in the rough, but much harsher on faces. I think some bumps would make a huge difference on g-outs, jumps and big hits at this point (goes without saying), as shock valving is near it's limit given the "under-the-bed" geometry. Goal for 2016 - get bumps on this damn thing! Should have done it a long long time ago....like before I bent the frame rails.
dtbback
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig

Post by dtbback »

yikes wrote:
dtbback wrote:I have a question about your rear shock mount.

It's been a few years since I actually looked at it, but as I recall I had to pop out cross member rivets on the forward hole and drill the others. I'll crawl under there and have a look when I get a chance.
Thanks!!
Becks_Bronco
Bronco Info: 96 Eddie Bauer, 5.8

Post by Becks_Bronco »

I have to post now that i've had the pleasure of riding in it. Also, great to finally meet you sir!

This thing is way too fast for stock seats and seat-belts, hahaha.

I've ridden in Tony's Bronco, and what Tony's Bronco does quietly, smoothly, and with grace, Brian's does with in your face, all American grunt.

The problem is, every time i ride in a Bronco, i want another one...
yikes
Founder

Post by yikes »

Becks_Bronco wrote:...in your face, all American grunt.
I'll take that!!

Tony's Bronco is a Cadillac that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy. Mine is a hot rod Lincoln. Hahaha!! Seriously, Tony's is set up reallllly nice.
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

yikes wrote:
Becks_Bronco wrote:...in your face, all American grunt.
I'll take that!!

Tony's Bronco is a Cadillac that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy. Mine is a hot rod Lincoln. Hahaha!! Seriously, Tony's is set up reallllly nice.
Shit, Ill take that!!! Never thought my bronco would ever be put on the level of Mr. Beelers!!! That guy inspired my build way back in the days of that other forum.......
You guys are gonna make me blush.......
yikes
Founder

Post by yikes »

Too early for B500 prep? Haha!

Replaced the rear axles, due to a bent flange on the driver's side. Ummmmm...that probably happened the same time the rear frame rails got bent and the wheels flat spotted. The splines were worn quite a bit from way too many pavement miles. I've had good results with Moser Engineering, so I'm sticking with them.

Finally scored new brakes thanks to Mr Jones. Really exciting to get some long lost stopping power back.

Old brakes

New brakes. Still need to upgrade the lines, but the old beat up ones still hold fluid.

Was able to take advantage of the HAAS VMC and whittle out a couple brackets

Old calipers have 1.38" pistons....new have 1.75"
dtbback

Post by dtbback »

Very nice!
yikes
Founder

Post by yikes »

My Tommy Lee steering box started leaking from the sector after only about 300 dirt miles. Not sure why it failed so quick and have never had one fail like that, but I think it may have been bad from the start as I recall questioning a bit of play during initial inspection. Anyway, Solo Motorsports hooked me up with a new unit quick! (Still owe them a core). Unfortunately, discovered the ram ports were tapped too close on centers for reusable fittings, so I'll have to get hoses with crimped fittings. The largest diameter will have to be less than .787 for them to work. Fingers crossed.

Also picked up Howe's small cooler. Jeff suggested it would be adequate for my application, so I'll give it a go and see. Will take temp readings after some hot laps next weekend and see if there's a difference end to end.

Located the cooler in the wheel opening because it should have great air flow through the core support and it's away from other heat sources.

Not quite how it was supposed to look at the end of the day, but if there weren't snags then it would just be status quo.

Just need to replace heims on the radius arms, replace bushings on the leaf springs, add a trans cooler, build a Jerry can mount and it's ready for a Baja beating once again.
funinthesun95
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco MAF UsShift

Post by funinthesun95 »

whats your plan with old box?
Good people + Great info = GFB
@csracingteam
@Cockstarmotorsports
yikes
Founder

Post by yikes »

funinthesun95 wrote:whats your plan with old box?
Send it to PSS and rebuild it for a spare....or sell it for moneys.
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Brian's '96

Post by cs_drums »

How much?
mobil1syn
Bronco Info: 1996 - operation mijo hauler

Post by mobil1syn »

some where in here i ran a crossed a picture of the piston on the front shocks, and i cant find it. Could you post it again?
yikes
Founder

Post by yikes »

I think this is the only image I have....not a good one.