SteveG's 84-SOLD!

SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Re: SteveG's 84

Post by SteveG »

One wire sensors were signal only, grounded through the exhaust system. Three wire sensors have a signal wire, 12 volt (run) wire and a ground wire for the heater. Four wire sensors have an additional ground for the sensor (separate of the heater circuit).

Why they didn't ground the sensor (not just the heater) when they added the heater circuit is beyond me.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
Agui-E7TE
Bronco Info: 89 Bronco w/ 6 in. skyjacker kit w/ dual Bilstein 5150 shocks up front and Deaver F53's in the rear

Post by Agui-E7TE »

SteveG wrote:One wire sensors were signal only, grounded through the exhaust system. Three wire sensors have a signal wire, 12 volt (run) wire and a ground wire for the heater. Four wire sensors have an additional ground for the sensor (separate of the heater circuit).

Why they didn't ground the sensor (not just the heater) when they added the heater circuit is beyond me.
I think I was thinking of the heated oxygen sensor (the 4-wire version).
I wonder if the improper grounding of the sensors could have something to do with why most Broncos get horrible fuel economy. I'm currently getting 10 mpg with every driving style. If I'm hard on it it's the same and if I'm babying it to get up to speed and keep it bellow 60 mph I still get 10 mpg.
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Agui-E7TE wrote:I think I was thinking of the heated oxygen sensor (the 4-wire version).
I wonder if the improper grounding of the sensors could have something to do with why most Broncos get horrible fuel economy. I'm currently getting 10 mpg with every driving style. If I'm hard on it it's the same and if I'm babying it to get up to speed and keep it bellow 60 mph I still get 10 mpg.
All the four wire sensors are heated. As are the three wire sensors.

Everything can contribute to poor fuel economy. It's common for every sensor in an older injected car to be just barely out of range or on the edge of acceptable range. When everything is a little off, the whole package can be way off.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
Agui-E7TE
Bronco Info: 89 Bronco w/ 6 in. skyjacker kit w/ dual Bilstein 5150 shocks up front and Deaver F53's in the rear

Post by Agui-E7TE »

I guess as long as the check engine light doesn't come on it means it's running at an acceptable level.

Keep up the great work giving the Bricknose a better name.
AussieRod
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.

Post by AussieRod »

Agui-E7TE wrote:I guess as long as the check engine light doesn't come on it means it's running at an acceptable level.

Keep up the great work giving the Bricknose a better name.
Forgive my ignorance, but isn't the 87 - 91 the Bricknose (flat, ugly and un-appealling, just like a house brick)? 80 - 86 is an entirely different and classic generation, a blend of the earlier 77 - 79 and modern lines. :D (a nice plug for the APEMFB)
convoy

Post by convoy »

Coming from a former 91 owner I take offense to that comment. ;)
Agui-E7TE

Post by Agui-E7TE »

They're all cool but 87-91 is definitely the coolest by far. The bricknose is definitely the 80-86 and doesn't hark back to the earlier body styles at all. The only thing they share is equal amounts of space at the junkyards :lol: I have a clean '79 and it's cool but I still like the clean lines of the modern Bronco better. Everybody and their grandmother has a 92-96 Bronco but not everyone has the cool '87-91 Bronco. I wasn't smart enough or cool enough to realize it and swapped to a newer front end.

In my opinion, the 87-91 have the nicest looking grill out of all the Broncos and with clear corner lights and a drop center hood, they look phenomenal. The only thing that makes them look ugly is the factory bumper but that's easily fixed.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Agui-E7TE wrote:TThe bricknose is definitely the 80-86 and doesn't hark back to the earlier body styles at all. The only thing they share is equal amounts of space at the junkyards :lol:
I'll agree with that!
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

Agui-E7TE wrote:I guess as long as the check engine light doesn't come on it means it's running at an acceptable level.
You would think so, but the truth is these things can run pretty bad and not set a check engine lamp.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
DirtFiend602
Bronco Info: 86' go faster

Post by DirtFiend602 »

Gotta love ford eec mgmt. these things could be on fire and the cel wont turn on. lol.
Agui-E7TE

Post by Agui-E7TE »

SteveG wrote:
You would think so, but the truth is these things can run pretty bad and not set a check engine lamp.

Noooo! You should have just lied to me and tell me it's allright, haha! It's a psychological thing for me. As long as there isn't any warning lights and I can't smell any weird smells (I'm like a mechanical problem sniffing dog... except I'm not a dog) I just keep telling myself it will be okay.

Funny story, I was cruising northbound on the 5 frwy in L.A. a few months ago and I got stuck in traffic. My temperature gauge decided it wanted to start climbing so I knew something was up. I tried to go for the nearest exit and it wasn't too far away except that the guy in front of me wasn't moving like he should have so I started getting a bit nervous and angry at the same time with the gauge in the red. I tried taking the emergency shoulder to exit and all of a sudden it ended and turned into an angled wall. Nobody wanted to let me back in the lane so I could go around the freeway light-post that was blocking my way a little down the way. The slow moving vehicle that had previously been creating more traffic pulled up next to me so I said screw it and passed the guy at an angle in my Mustang on Drag Radials no less :oops:

The gauge was in the red for a little bit but I cooled it off fairly quick once I realized the electric fan wasn't coming on. I seem to be really good at finding the worst distracted drivers when my vehicles overheat.
AussieRod
Bronco Info: 81 Bronco XLT, 250 alloy head crossflow 6, NP435/NP208, 4:10 gears, 31-10.5R15 M/Ts.

Post by AussieRod »

Agui-E7TE wrote:They're all cool but 87-91 is definitely the coolest by far. The bricknose is definitely the 80-86 and doesn't hark back to the earlier body styles at all. The only thing they share is equal amounts of space at the junkyards :lol: I have a clean '79 and it's cool but I still like the clean lines of the modern Bronco better. Everybody and their grandmother has a 92-96 Bronco but not everyone has the cool '87-91 Bronco. I wasn't smart enough or cool enough to realize it and swapped to a newer front end.

In my opinion, the 87-91 have the nicest looking grill out of all the Broncos and with clear corner lights and a drop center hood, they look phenomenal. The only thing that makes them look ugly is the factory bumper but that's easily fixed.
No more Starburst Snakes for you, you traitor you :twisted:
Agui-E7TE

Post by Agui-E7TE »

Hey, I never said the bricknose wasn't cool. I like that body style a lot. If I could afford it I'd own one of every body style but the neighbors likely wouldn't be too thrilled about it.

By the way, those were some delicious starburst snakes. You guys get all the cool stuff down there.
AussieRod

Post by AussieRod »

Its cool, Agui. :lol: Each to their own. The 87 - 91 front styling does nothing personally for me, and thats just me. Its either 80 - 86 or 92 - 96, both are cool to me. :D I have both now, so I can choose ;)
blueoval8493
Bronco Info: 1994 F-150 super cab with 347.

Post by blueoval8493 »

Steve first time I been on in awhile so this is a little off topic but I went to mass to try and compensate for a cam that was way too big that the p.o. put in the 347. I did things way different than I would now. I got an offer on it and figured it'd be better to start over than spend a ton of $ and still not end up happy with it. If I could do it all over I would've just took the stock 351 I have rebuilt it, left it speed density and drove it. Keep your 84 more than a couple weeks please. give me time to build the bank account back up. We just bought a house...:lol:
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

blueoval8493 wrote:Steve first time I been on in awhile so this is a little off topic but I went to mass to try and compensate for a cam that was way too big that the p.o. put in the 347. I did things way different than I would now. I got an offer on it and figured it'd be better to start over than spend a ton of $ and still not end up happy with it. If I could do it all over I would've just took the stock 351 I have rebuilt it, left it speed density and drove it.
Ahhh. Well strokers are a different story. Most of what I do is simple, simple simple. And stock.
blueoval8493 wrote:Keep your 84 more than a couple weeks please. give me time to build the bank account back up. We just bought a house...:lol:
Well if history repeats itself, it won't take long for my ADD to strike, so save those pennies fast!
Sho nuff,
SteveG
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

SteveG wrote:You would think so, but the truth is these things can run pretty bad and not set a check engine lamp.

I've had two trucks lately that run so bad the one was no drivable and the other couldn't be moved around the parking lot. No CEL on either as the cats were plugged and earlier trucks had no rear bound O2 to detect cat problems.

Both these trucks lost the cats from frequent short drives (the cat never got up to temp) and I have a suspicion that the additives in fuels are also accelerating the demise.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

philofab wrote:
SteveG wrote:You would think so, but the truth is these things can run pretty bad and not set a check engine lamp.

I've had two trucks lately that run so bad the one was no drivable and the other couldn't be moved around the parking lot. No CEL on either as the cats were plugged and earlier trucks had no rear bound O2 to detect cat problems.

Both these trucks lost the cats from frequent short drives (the cat never got up to temp) and I have a suspicion that the additives in fuels are also accelerating the demise.
Yeah, even as advanced as some modern engine controls and monitoring systems are, in some situations they still have a problem detected mechanical problems. I prefer OBD II for most things just because they are generally a lot better at telling you when something is wrong. I considered building an OBDII system for my truck (since I had the ECM and a harness) but getting the smog ref to OK it would have been a lot more work than OBDI.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
84fsb
Bronco Info: 1984 FSB 351W,stock suspension at the moment. looking to upgrade

Post by 84fsb »

Any updates on your bronco SteveG?
Great Job on the efi swap, very clean! can you build me a new speed density 5.8 harness? haha
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

84fsb wrote:Great Job on the efi swap, very clean! can you build me a new speed density 5.8 harness? haha
Whoops! I guess I never saw this... sorry! Build another harness? Hmm... sure, but it's gonna cost you! I actually have enough parts to build 2 more harnesses and one (desirable) mustang ECM. For that ECM it would have to be a sequential injection system... not a bad thing. Especially since there is more aftermarket support for the mustang stuff.

If yours has a carburetor and you're considering going to EFI, DO IT! I wish I'd done it years ago when I was still driving it a lot. The engine runs smoother, makes more torque and horsepower... makes it even more of a pleasure to drive.
84fsb wrote:Any updates on your bronco SteveG?
Yes. FOR SALE!

I haven't come up with a price yet but it will be cheap and for much less than the sum of suspension parts alone. Hopefully by this weekend I can sit down and figure out what I want out of it.

Or, I'll part it out and keep some of the goodies....