SteveG's 84-SOLD!

BajaF250
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250

Re: SteveG's 84

Post by BajaF250 »

philofab wrote:All of your arguments are invalid in Arizona.

I can swap a blown 60s big block into a Geo Metro here.
Cool, do you see many of those around?
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Mojo's96 wrote:Hey Steve when are we gonna see some pics of your spare tire carrier, any progress on that? I am very interested in seeing what you've done....
There's nothing to see. All I've done is install the later model carrier and flip the tire mount to drop the tire. Eventually I'll add an extra latch like Kris did to his and I'll add the lift support but those projects on a long list of things I want to but might never do....
Agui-E7TE wrote:Me too, I just removed mine but I feel like putting it back on but with the stock tire, it's already started cracking the body a bit. Can't imagine what a 35 would do if I don't reinforce the body or the design of the tire gate.
Where is is cracking?

I don't wheel with mine but if I was, I would take the time to make sure the tire can't flop around. In the stock configuration, my 33 would move like crazy. All that movement=cracking sheet metal. That said, it sure is nice to have a secure place to put a spare outside of the car for camping trips and such. No matter how nice you're interior spare mount is, you still have to stick that bastard in the car and lose all that storage space.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
Agui-E7TE
Bronco Info: 89 Bronco w/ 6 in. skyjacker kit w/ dual Bilstein 5150 shocks up front and Deaver F53's in the rear

Post by Agui-E7TE »

SteveG wrote:
Mojo's96 wrote:Hey Steve when are we gonna see some pics of your spare tire carrier, any progress on that? I am very interested in seeing what you've done....
There's nothing to see. All I've done is install the later model carrier and flip the tire mount to drop the tire. Eventually I'll add an extra latch like Kris did to his and I'll add the lift support but those projects on a long list of things I want to but might never do....
Agui-E7TE wrote:Me too, I just removed mine but I feel like putting it back on but with the stock tire, it's already started cracking the body a bit. Can't imagine what a 35 would do if I don't reinforce the body or the design of the tire gate.
Where is is cracking?

I don't wheel with mine but if I was, I would take the time to make sure the tire can't flop around. In the stock configuration, my 33 would move like crazy. All that movement=cracking sheet metal. That said, it sure is nice to have a secure place to put a spare outside of the car for camping trips and such. No matter how nice you're interior spare mount is, you still have to stick that bastard in the car and lose all that storage space.

It's cracking right bellow the passenger tail-light. It's not anything crazy (only about an 1-2 inch crack) but it was enough to keep me from running around with a full size spare. That happened with the stock pizza cutter spare. :o

I can't say I'd be okay with losing valuable interior space with a 35-inch spare. Having to strap it down inside while off roading is okay since I don't carry the rear bench when I hit the dirt. My concern is not having it tear up the truck while driving down the road.. I drove behind a friend's Bronco and was thinking his heavy 37-inch spare was going to rip right off his tire gate at any moment.
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

This was a productive evening. I pulled the trans out of the Falcon (again) after work, came home, ate dinner, hung out with the family for a bit then got some work done on the Bronco. The wire harness is almost completely installed. I still need to run the Oxygen Sensor and Speed Sensor wiring then wire loom/tape and tie up the harness and it should be complete. I mounted the ECM and tested the harness again (this time in the truck). So far all seems well. The injectors click and the fuel pump relay turns on as soon as there is an RPM signal. I didn't test spark but I'll do that after I mount the coil.

After the harness is completely installed I'll mount the fuel pumps, plumb and wire them. Once that's done it will be time to turn the key and cross my fingers!

I'm in that last 10% of the job... so close yet so far!
Attachments
So close to being done and it still looks like a mess!!!
So close to being done and it still looks like a mess!!!
EFIharness.jpg (79.07 KiB) Viewed 807 times
Sho nuff,
SteveG
BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

Hey Steve,
Where and how did you mount your VSS?
BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

I noticed your relays up on the inner fender. I was concerned about mounting mine there due to water seepage from the hood (either rain or when washed). So, I used a piece of old door seal and sliped it onto the fend edge to make a nice water seal above the electrics there... it works well.
BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

Man, I gotta tell you... even with all the wiring and harness testing... I was really holding my breath when it came to cranking the motor over for the first firing! But, the darn thing started right up!
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

BajaF250 wrote:Hey Steve,
No where yet. The plan is to put it in the transfer case where the speedometer drive is. Buuut, I brought a sensor home and it doesn't fit due to the clocking of the connector. I need to look for a sensor with the connector in a different spot. I'm hoping there is one that will fit but I haven't put any effort into finding it. If that fails, I might be able to use the cruise control speed sensor which is located under the hood between the 2-piece speedometer cable. This would be a lot easier to wire but it would mean losing my cruise control which I like. Especially since I got the fancy Saleen cruise control switch bracket and all. I'd hate for them to go unused!
CCspeed sensor.jpg
CCspeed sensor.jpg (36.24 KiB) Viewed 765 times
BajaF250 wrote:I noticed your relays up on the inner fender. I was concerned about mounting mine there due to water seepage from the hood (either rain or when washed). So, I used a piece of old door seal and sliped it onto the fend edge to make a nice water seal above the electrics there... it works well.
My inner fenders/inner fenders need some work anyway so I might do that. I was thinking about making some kind of boot out of an old inner-tube and zip-ties. It wouldn't look the best but it would get the job done... cheap.
BajaF250 wrote:Man, I gotta tell you... even with all the wiring and harness testing... I was really holding my breath when it came to cranking the motor over for the first firing!
That's exactly how I feel. I've tested all the circuits more times than I can keep track of but I'm still really nervous about cranking the engine! But, like I said, the injectors click and the fuel pump relay turns on and off as intended, so that's a good sign. the injectors have sat dry for several years. I'm hoping they aren't badly gummed up. I'm going to do a fuel injector flush when I get it running anyway, so as long as they flow fuel, I should be OK.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

The original plan was to put a lift pump just outside of the gas tank and the high-pressure pump on the frame rail toward the front of the truck. In the end, I decided I would just cut a hole in the floor and mount it in the tank like the 86-91(ish) EFI trucks. These use a sender and hanger that is just about identical to the stock carburetor version in my truck so that means I don't have to replace the tank.

Got the fuel pump mounted on the hanger today, I just need to put the pick-up screen on it and mount it in the tank. After I cut a hole in the floor....
Attachments
Lift pump.jpg
Lift pump.jpg (32.16 KiB) Viewed 764 times
Sho nuff,
SteveG
BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

SteveG wrote:
BajaF250 wrote:Hey Steve,
No where yet. The plan is to put it in the transfer case where the speedometer drive is. Buuut, I brought a sensor home and it doesn't fit due to the clocking of the connector. I need to look for a sensor with the connector in a different spot. I'm hoping there is one that will fit but I haven't put any effort into finding it. If that fails, I might be able to use the cruise control speed sensor which is located under the hood between the 2-piece speedometer cable. This would be a lot easier to wire but it would mean losing my cruise control which I like. Especially since I got the fancy Saleen cruise control switch bracket and all. I'd hate for them to go unused!
Not sure what transfer case you have and where the speedo cable connects, but if it's like mine (still have the BW1345), I had to make a new speedo adapter. My plastic adapter was old enough that it cracked and broke. So, I machined one from aluminum and was able to clock it to match the VSS from a 87-91 EFI setup.

I'd be a shame to loose the cruise control...
SteveG wrote:That's exactly how I feel. I've tested all the circuits more times than I can keep track of but I'm still really nervous about cranking the engine! But, like I said, the injectors click and the fuel pump relay turns on and off as intended, so that's a good sign. the injectors have sat dry for several years. I'm hoping they aren't badly gummed up. I'm going to do a fuel injector flush when I get it running anyway, so as long as they flow fuel, I should be OK.
I actually had my injectors all rebuilt. They had been sitting on the motor I got from the wrecking yard for I don't know how many years. Got all new seals, new screen, new tip, etc. They then flow benched/tested them. They sat for about 6-months and when I tested them prior to start, the pintles were stuck in the seats... I just snapped them a couple of times with +12v and that freed them up. They've been working perfectly since.
BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

SteveG wrote:The original plan was to put a lift pump just outside of the gas tank and the high-pressure pump on the frame rail toward the front of the truck. In the end, I decided I would just cut a hole in the floor and mount it in the tank like the 86-91(ish) EFI trucks. These use a sender and hanger that is just about identical to the stock carburetor version in my truck so that means I don't have to replace the tank.

Got the fuel pump mounted on the hanger today, I just need to put the pick-up screen on it and mount it in the tank. After I cut a hole in the floor....
I went through the same decision process, stock fuel pump or lift/hi-press pump... ended up with the stock setup. Have you decided how you're going to run the return fuel line back to the tank?
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

BajaF250 wrote:Have you decided how you're going to run the return fuel line back to the tank?
I pulled the in-tank and in-line pumps and the complete fuel lines from an 87 Bronco chassis that was headed to the scrap yard. The fact that I already have the lines is another reason I went with the in-tank lift pump. I haven't decided if I'll leave the original steel feed line or replace it with the line out of the 87.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

SteveG wrote:
BajaF250 wrote:Have you decided how you're going to run the return fuel line back to the tank?
I pulled the in-tank and in-line pumps and the complete fuel lines from an 87 Bronco chassis that was headed to the scrap yard. The fact that I already have the lines is another reason I went with the in-tank lift pump. I haven't decided if I'll leave the original steel feed line or replace it with the line out of the 87.
Oh, good idea!
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

How do you know the hood has been up for too long? You forget to incorporate its closure into your layout! Why didn't anyone tell me the hood springs would run right into the pack of relays I just mounted on the left inner fender? The good news is I was closing the hood gently to check fitment of another part and just happened to notice the spring contacting the rear relay. Otherwise I would have figured it out when the pieces flew all over the place.

The fuel system is plumbed. I need to bring home a different fuel filter and a pick up screen for the fuel pump. Then I'll button it up and check for leaks... which are a strong possibility since I'm using lots of used parts.

Tonight I was test fitting the plenum and mapping out the vacuum lines. Getting close.
Attachments
IMAG0828.jpg
IMAG0828.jpg (176.56 KiB) Viewed 642 times
Sho nuff,
SteveG
yikes
Founder
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff

Post by yikes »

Right on Steve!! Looks like it will be ready for Heavy Metal. Just take the hood off. It's all the rage.
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

yikes wrote:Just take the hood off. It's all the rage.
It's only cool if it falls off!
Sho nuff,
SteveG
flyinbronco
HuckMASTER

Post by flyinbronco »

SteveG wrote:
yikes wrote:Just take the hood off. It's all the rage.
It's only cool if it falls off!

Ha Ha Ha.
Proud member of Moss Brothers Racing Score class 3 Champions
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

both fuel pumps are installed and wired. I turned the key a few minutes ago and they even got fuel all the way to the engine! Woohoo. I can't check for leaks since I'm missing one of the retainer clips for one of the fuel filter connectors... bummer.

If I had to put a number on progress I'd guess I'm around 90%. Have I ever told you guys how much I hate the last 10% of a project?
Sho nuff,
SteveG
yikes
Founder
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff

Post by yikes »

Haha! Is that because the last 10% is 90% of the nickles, dimes and time?
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

It's because you're only about 100 yards from the finish line but you have to stop and perform a menial task EVERY STEP OF THE WAY!
Sho nuff,
SteveG