Blueblood

Re: SteveG's 84

Post by Blueblood »

For sure I wil never get rid of that machine. I just have to
dig it out, I just moved a mouth or so a go and haven't given it
a thought.
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

philofab wrote:I have a 93 AOD-E & an 89 M5R2 off the top of my head. I look the codes up tomorrow.
Philo, I ended up just buying a reman (yuck) ECM since I could buy one that was exactly what I needed (5.8L/C6). It's easier than having to custom program one to match my trans. Thanks anyway, though.

Progress is taking place. I've removed the complete EFI harness & started tidying it up... again. While it's out, I decided to add another filter. I have one at the ignition coil power lead (just as the factory does) but I decided (on my EFI guru's recommendation) to put one at the ECM as well.

Normally, I use OE connectors for just about everything but I didn't feel like digging through my totes full of harnesses to find the matching connector for the OE filter. I typically hate using insulated crimp connectors but for a non-critical connection like this, I don't mind using it. But, I do take some extra time to make sure it's not going to give me any grief later.

Crimped, soldered and ready to re-insulate. I did the same for the harness side except I added a piece of white heat-shrink tube and labeled it. No fancy connector kit required!
IMG_3038 (640x480).jpg
IMG_3038 (640x480).jpg (173.82 KiB) Viewed 2300 times
Sho nuff,
SteveG
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

The harness is back in. I made a couple small changes while I had it out. I relocated the MAP sensor, altered the Oxygen Sensor lead and, most exciting, relocated the speed sensor. I originally added a speed sensor at the transfer case where the speedo cable was. This required several feet of wire (no big deal but more to route, loom and secure) and a custom speedometer cable... boo! Instead, I ran the speed sensor wires to above the brake booster and left the connector right on EFI harness loom. Then (here's the exciting part!), I tapped into the cruise control speed sensor and hung a connector out of the CC harness that will plug right into the EFI harness. Simple, effective, less climbing under the vehicle and one less sensor!

Almost there.
Attachments
Cruise control speed sensor.
Cruise control speed sensor.
CC Speed Sensor (640x382).jpg (160.11 KiB) Viewed 2222 times
Speed sensor connector at harness.
Speed sensor connector at harness.
IMG_3049 (640x480).jpg (213.43 KiB) Viewed 2222 times
Just needs some loom and tape....
Just needs some loom and tape....
IMG_3052 (480x640).jpg (239.24 KiB) Viewed 2222 times
Sho nuff,
SteveG
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Nice! So it'll be at pismo - right?

I'd hate to see you have to pull the wagon way out in the dunes...
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
shockseals.com

Post by shockseals.com »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:Nice! So it'll be at pismo - right?

I will ride shotgun in the wagon...bad ass mo-sheen
Kris Hernandez
shockseals.com
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Don't get me wrong - I LOVE the wagon, I'd just hate to see if get buried in the sand when we make Steve take it out since he showed up without the bronco.
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

shockseals.com wrote:

I say we all get old cars and cruise the shit out of them. Road trips in the old stuff is great therapy.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
Bronco Info: 1979 Class 3 Race Bronco. Built in 2000.

Post by 300 »

SteveG wrote:
shockseals.com wrote:

I say we all get old cars and cruise the shit out of them. Road trips in the old stuff is great therapy.
Sounds good! Oh wait, that's all I have is old cars.
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

300 wrote:Sounds good! Oh wait, that's all I have is old cars.
Now all we need to do is start using them. You meeting us at Billetproof next year?

Kris, if I promise you shotgun in the wagon, does that mean you'll make it to Pismo?
Sho nuff,
SteveG
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

Good progress today. First, though, a repair that will make even the most discerning critics proud. A slight eyeball miscalculation resulted in a bit of fan/upper radiator hose contact. I was already going to get a different hose that fits better with the carb engine accessories and EFI intake but needed to drive it in the meantime. No problem. I got patches!
Attachments
Hose Patch (640x383).jpg
Hose Patch (640x383).jpg (152.62 KiB) Viewed 2114 times
Sho nuff,
SteveG
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

So I buttoned up most of the EFI wiring today and drove the Bronco for the first time since repairing the harness. Unlike with the original ECM, the engine fired immediately and ran perfectly... woohoo! The last major EFI-related project is finding the twin air intake hoses (Throttle-bodies to air cleaner). I have a late-model air intake/cleaner to get my by for now but that won't fly with for the smog referee, so I'll need to hunt around for that.

I put about 12 miles on the truck with lots of stop and go in town. It really felt great. Lots of torque, good power at full throttle and it idles smooth. Ahhhh, EFI....

I also finally started permanently wiring in the radio. I used a junction post for battery to keep from having a bunch of battery power wires terminating at the battery cable end. I love these things. The really help clean up wiring. On a related note, I recently picked up some "marine" heat-shrink tubing at Harbor Freight. I had my doubts, but for $3.99 a box, it was definitely worth a shot. So far it works great and I'm loving having cheap adhesive-lined heat-shrink. I'll keep using the expensive stuff for critical wiring (EFI an such), but for just about everything else, heck yeah!
IMG_3064 (640x480).jpg
IMG_3064 (640x480).jpg (189.25 KiB) Viewed 2110 times
Here's how I usually terminate power/ground circuits that will be exposed to the elements.

Crimp uninsulated terminal and solder the end of the terminal and the seam.
IMG_3062 (640x480).jpg
IMG_3062 (640x480).jpg (117.12 KiB) Viewed 2110 times
Adhesive lined heat-shrink between the terminal body and wire insulation.
IMG_3063 (640x480).jpg
IMG_3063 (640x480).jpg (121.43 KiB) Viewed 2110 times
And finally, the gratuitous poser shot. Not bad for a 28 year old, huh?
Poser!
Poser!
IMG_3058 (640x480).jpg (286.44 KiB) Viewed 2110 times
Sho nuff,
SteveG
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

I forgot to add the photo of the junction post. Note the weather resistant fuse holder as well. I might add a small fuse box later but I have a few of these fuse holders, so I might as well use them. I still need to add loom to the cable from the battery to post for abrasion protection. I called it a night before started on the ground circuit for the radio. Maybe tomorrow.
Attachments
IMG_3066 (480x640).jpg
IMG_3066 (480x640).jpg (238.45 KiB) Viewed 2108 times
Sho nuff,
SteveG
blueoval8493
Bronco Info: 1994 F-150 super cab with 347.

Post by blueoval8493 »

Truck looks great steve awesome work. I'm so jealous I want an 84 think it'd be cool to have a truck same age as me ha.. And a 95 for the mass air non obd II. I use that harbor frieght heat shrink all the time. Holds up great so far even in saltly grimmy roads up here. I know how finicky these old electrcal systems can be. I did a mass air conversion on a 94. Took me weeks with the help of the vendor to find that an internal ground was bad in the supplied mustang ecm. Gotta be a good feeling to see light at the end of the tunnel.
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

blueoval8493 wrote:Truck looks great steve awesome work. I'm so jealous I want an 84 think it'd be cool to have a truck same age as me ha.. And a 95 for the mass air non obd II.
Thanks! You can just buy mine when I'm bored with it again... probably in a couple weeks!

Don't get too hung up on MAF. I could have easily gone mass air with my conversion but I just didn't see the point. In fact, I started with a sequential injection (necessary for MAF) and converted it to batch fire (Speed Density). The only advantage a MAF sensor gives is it can compensate for engine changes (which I won't be doing). The other advantage MAF has over Speed density is it can adjust for elevation on the fly... sounds like a big deal, but all you have to do with Speed Density is pull over and re-start the engine and it will adjust accordingly. Best of all, Speed Density does not have an expensive MAF sensor to fail.

The one major advantage the newer EFI systems do have is a grounded Oxygen Sensor. The early systems grounded the sensor through the exhaust system. It's funny that they grounded the most critical EFI sensor through the most corroded part of the vehicle. Genius, huh?

Anyway, I'm happy to almost have the conversion done. It runs great and is fun to drive again.
blueoval8493 wrote:I use that harbor frieght heat shrink all the time. Holds up great so far even in saltly grimmy roads up here.
Good to know. I like GOOD heat-shrink tube, but for the price, this stuff is hard to beat for most projects.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
Agui-E7TE
Bronco Info: 89 Bronco w/ 6 in. skyjacker kit w/ dual Bilstein 5150 shocks up front and Deaver F53's in the rear

Post by Agui-E7TE »

Nice job on getting it all running with the EFI. The reliability and smoother operation is well worth it. Also, nice work with the electrical wiring.. I wish I had the patience to properly crimp, solder and heat shrink all my connections (it's one of those habits that I have to start trying to get into).

Is the Oxygen sensor one of the things you can convert to the later style for the proper grounding?

Oh, almost forgot... Love the radiator hose patch/repair. Didn't even know that could be done. Gotta remember that one for future field repairs.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Digging the progress and the CLEAN wiring. That's the way it SHOULD be done - looks good.
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

Agui-E7TE wrote:Is the Oxygen sensor one of the things you can convert to the later style for the proper grounding?
Absolutely. The harness I started with did not use 4-wire Oxygen sensors. Adding the adding a ground to the Oxygen sensor is a piece of cake with the harness out of the car. Even with the harness in the car it wouldn't be hard to convert to a 4-wire sensor. It would just be a matter of running a ground wire to the sensor and through the connector.

Thanks, Steve!
Sho nuff,
SteveG
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

I thought the four wire O2s were heated so they had an additional +12 wire? Or are you just not using the heating element?
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/