Zach's 94 Build

johncharlesb
Bronco Info: 1962 f100, 1995 Bronco

Re: Zach's 94 Build

Post by johncharlesb »

Bad battery or drain.

Disconnect the battery and let it sit for three days and see if it holds a charge.

Check for shorts off the positive lead. See how much power the stereo drains while the truck is off. If the truck drains a 60a/h battery in 72 hours that is a .8 amp draw if you took that battery down to nothing or .4amp if you took it down to half of its total. That is only five/ten watts. You can measure for drain and start pulling and replacing fuses until you located the bad circuit. A relay sticking, bad diode in the alternator?, fuel pump relay, etc.

My guess is a bad diode in the alternator. See if it is warm when the engine is cold, try disconnecting it and measuring the power consumption.
Drilim
Bronco Info: 94

Batt Issues

Post by Drilim »

Thanks for the advice guys.

Took a few hours this morning and tore into the battery issue. I found a intermittently sticking relay in my amp box behind the front seats. It would draw .28 - .34 when connected and .03 - .05 when it wasn't. Once I swapped it for a tested and known good relay, I could not get a reading of over .05 on the meter. I'm hoping thats the only issue that was going on. If not, I know that one part of the equation has been solved.

Fingers crossed.
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

Good luck buddy! It sounds like you have found most of the issue.
I'm just here for the views. It helps me feel wanted.
SuperSixAxis
Bronco Info: 1996 5.8, E4OD

Post by SuperSixAxis »

Crazy how a relay can hang up a build this nice. One of the nicest engine bays I have ever seen!
Drilim

Post by Drilim »

Hahah. Thanks man. Now that I'm working through the gremlins, hopefully the rest of the truck will be as nice. Fingers crossed.
Drilim

Post by Drilim »

Purchased a tweecer r/t locally and have been trying to get the motor and tranny dialed in and meshing. Such a crazy, amazing tool. Being able to datalog what happens under acceleration makes tweaking and troubleshooting infinitely easier.

Dropped off my Foreman coil buckets to be sandblasted and powdercoated. Ive been looking around and cant find a definitive answer as to what type of 4" coils to use. I've seen rancho and pro-comp listed a bunch. What does autofab/camburg package with there kits?

Also curious if there is a Bilstein dealer on here. Contemplating selling my 2.5x10 saws for a set of 9100's. Currently I'm running 7100's in the rear and Ive been really happy with them. Would love to have Bilstein on all 4 corners.
Nick
Founder
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target

Post by Nick »

Drilim wrote:. Ive been looking around and cant find a definitive answer as to what type of 4" coils to use. I've seen rancho and pro-comp listed a bunch. What does autofab/camburg package with there kits?
Autofab was having theirs custom wound. When they ran out, John suggested i use a 4" skyjacker. The burglers were using a 4" procomp.
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
Polarcub
Bronco Info: 95 Eddie Bauer and 95 XLT still in the shop........

Post by Polarcub »

Drilim wrote:Purchased a tweecer r/t locally and have been trying to get the motor and tranny dialed in and meshing. Such a crazy, amazing tool. Being able to datalog what happens under acceleration makes tweaking and troubleshooting infinitely easier.

Dropped off my Foreman coil buckets to be sandblasted and powdercoated. Ive been looking around and cant find a definitive answer as to what type of 4" coils to use. I've seen rancho and pro-comp listed a bunch. What does autofab/camburg package with there kits?

Also curious if there is a Bilstein dealer on here. Contemplating selling my 2.5x10 saws for a set of 9100's. Currently I'm running 7100's in the rear and Ive been really happy with them. Would love to have Bilstein on all 4 corners.
Contact Joel he goes by random thoughts racing on the board here...or you can PM me and I can help you out through another dealer.
Jeremy
economig
Bronco Info: 1994 Eddie Bauer 5.8L

Zach's 94 Build

Post by economig »

Glad this build is posting and moving forward again! Pics!!!

No pressure :)
T H R E A T Motorsports
philofab
Basura Blanca
Bronco Info: A pile of crap.

Post by philofab »

I ran a 4" Skyjacker for a long time and it worked well and lasted.
Follow me on Instagram. @philofab1 or Youtube https://www.youtube.com/philofab/
tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Post by tcm glx »

4" Pro Comp coil for about 9 months, paired with dual Bilsteins 5100s and they rocked.. it worked great.
Drilim

Post by Drilim »

Pulled my truck into my new shop space thursday evening and finally started tearing down the front end. Installing the Foreman coil buckets i bought from "Shockseals" on here, a set of 2.5x10" SAW's, a new pair of 4" pro-comp coil springs, and some other minor general front end maintenance/cleaning/painting/misc.

Ill get pictures up of the progress once I get everything test fit before it gets assembled.

I do have a quick question though...

I picked up a set of lower coil retainers from someone on here a while back. They had been milled down to eliminate the sway bar bracket. They look similar but arent the same as what I pulled off.

The coil spring seems to sit in the pad with the notch, just wondering if there is any reason i shouldn't run these. If not, Where can i find a set of coil pads that arent trashed like the ones i pulled off?
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

Those are just spring pockets from an earlier truck/Bronco that had a different sway bar mount. Either set will work fine.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

I'm pretty sure there were different height coil pads/retainers over the years. I have a bunch of different ones here. If you want to email me with the heights of what came off I can see if I have the same ones. I can let um go for a couple bucks plus shipping. For a few more bucks I can cut off the sway bar mounts & sand smooth.

*edit* - I guess Philo beat me to it.

Philo - aren't there different height spacers out there though? I swear I have 2-3 different sizes here on the shelf. I know there is a height difference side to side, but I could have sworn there were a couple sizes of each.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
yikes
Founder
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff

Post by yikes »

I think you got those from me Zach. I ran them with my Rancho coils.
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

Left and Right sides are different heights as well as different models. F150/F250/F350 and Broncos all used the same basic lower spring retainer.
Drilim

Post by Drilim »

Yikes, I did get them from you - forever ago. Lol

Philo, thanks for the info. They looked similar enough and seemed to fit fine but with my luck, id get it all together and it would be a major issue.
philofab
Basura Blanca

Post by philofab »

Drilim wrote:Yikes, I did get them from you - forever ago. Lol

Philo, thanks for the info. They looked similar enough and seemed to fit fine but with my luck, id get it all together and it would be a major issue.

I drove my truck around for 6 months with the left and right swapped. It leaned a little to one side but other than that it did not create any issues. I don't even bother to run the isolator. Can't hear that noise over everything else.
Drilim

Post by Drilim »

Ended up pulling the rad arms and mounts and having them re-powdercoated.

Picked everything up friday morning and knocked out remounting and getting the coils in and everything torqued to spec yesterday afternoon. The stance with a new set of pro-comp 4" coils is exactly what I was hoping for.

Didnt get the SAW's in, going to have them gone through before the go in. Threw a set of old ranchos in to have it aligned.

Phone was dead by the time I wrapped up. Ill get pictures up this week.
Drilim

Post by Drilim »

After the debacle I've had trying to speak to anyone competent to help track down the SAW's i had...I placed my order with Joel@Bilstein today for a set of 9100 smoothbodies with the ACV upgrade in a 2.65X10. To say I'm excited is an understatement.

Joel was great. Called me and answered every question I had, explained it in idiot proof terms, and was very patient with me and my ignorance. Hoping to see them before Thanksgiving!

Pics to follow soon.