Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner

Re: Camel Joe Bronco 78

Post by Rmc »

Looking good!
[HBW]22
Bronco Info: Full long travel 78 bronco

Post by [HBW]22 »

Thanks man! I got some more stuff done tonight. I'm going to order a sway bar for it this week to, but not sure what one to get. I'm going between the Currie anti rock kit or the kit that ORW sells. I have heard good things about the anti rock kit holding up great for ultra4 racing, but I am afraid of it being to soft. Has anyone ran the ORW sway bar kit or Anti rock?
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

Ok so the lowdown on sway bars is the larger the dia the higher the resistance to flex. Most recommend buying full diameter at say 31 splines or whatever and test it, turn it down on a lathe, test it... Repeat till it's the way you want it. I called currie in the past due to the affordability of their kit. I told them it was for a 4 linked truck and they talked me out of it saying I'd fatigue the bar quickly and it would fail. The guy explained it was for lighter weight vehicles. So I know that dosnt really apply to your application but remember there's no real weight in the back of a linked truck. I looked at pretty much everyone's kits, parts, ect. And what I concluded was buy ruff stuff bar ends ( they sell splined blocks to base the link arms off when fabricating your own arms) and get a speedway bar due to much better length availability. Speedway has a bit more flexibility when choosing the bar length so this availability of different lengths better solves the packaging issues. Mounting a more generic bar or kit kinda makes life harder for the builder cause the more generic kits are standardized to jeep frame rail widths. If I were in your shoes if figure out how and where you want to mount it as step one, the the actual bar you end up buying will have taken into account the packaging restrictions due to your chassis design.

So please understand I'm not telling you don't get either kit instead I'm sying figure out how and where you plan on mounting it and choose the bar accordingly. Actual torsional resistance applied can be dealt with in the testing phase of your build. I'll grab you a link to the bar ends and bars.
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

Speedway arms. Follow the links to see bars, arms,linkage ect.

http://www.1speedway.com/Swaybars.htm
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

I think ruff stuff sold just the splined blocks without the kit and they were way cheap.
[HBW]22

Post by [HBW]22 »

Rmc wrote:Ok so the lowdown on sway bars is the larger the dia the higher the resistance to flex. Most recommend buying full diameter at say 31 splines or whatever and test it, turn it down on a lathe, test it... Repeat till it's the way you want it. I called currie in the past due to the affordability of their kit. I told them it was for a 4 linked truck and they talked me out of it saying I'd fatigue the bar quickly and it would fail. The guy explained it was for lighter weight vehicles. So I know that dosnt really apply to your application but remember there's no real weight in the back of a linked truck. I looked at pretty much everyone's kits, parts, ect. And what I concluded was buy ruff stuff bar ends ( they sell splined blocks to base the link arms off when fabricating your own arms) and get a speedway bar due to much better length availability. Speedway has a bit more flexibility when choosing the bar length so this availability of different lengths better solves the packaging issues. Mounting a more generic bar or kit kinda makes life harder for the builder cause the more generic kits are standardized to jeep frame rail widths. If I were in your shoes if figure out how and where you want to mount it as step one, the the actual bar you end up buying will have taken into account the packaging restrictions due to your chassis design.

So please understand I'm not telling you don't get either kit instead I'm sying figure out how and where you plan on mounting it and choose the bar accordingly. Actual torsional resistance applied can be dealt with in the testing phase of your build. I'll grab you a link to the bar ends and bars.
Thanks for the info that's a good write up! So after a bunch of re search and asking around I decided to go with the ORW kit. It's a speedway bar with deeper splines so you can run 2 arms per side to prevent stripped splines. My plan is to run it under the spare tire in that open tube on the back half. That has been the plan from the beginning so I hope it works out in that spot. I also got the fuel cell and filler/splash guard all done the way my rulebook said. Did more tubes on the back half and engine cage, and made a quick trans cooler mount up front with a free cooler I had at the dealership. Going to try to finish installing my dual stick kit on my transfer case tomorrow and do some more fab work.

Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

You may want to look into a shorter radiator. Maybe more passes so shorter but same volume. Look at those Chinese ones Robert found on eBay or eyeball the discontinued, scratch n dent, and discontinued on speedway motors. I see very nice ones going for cheap on the circle track stores. I would just hate to see fluid burn you if you were ever to roll that beast. Looking good man.
[HBW]22

Post by [HBW]22 »

Some updates! Back half and axle all welded, shock mounts done and sway bar almost finished. Got the trans and transfer case in, plus installed the double stick kit. Next is limit straps, bumps and start the interior. I'm sure I am missing stuff, but time for pictures.

Need to get different springs to get the ride height right.

Messing with how the body will be

Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

Nice progress!
steve-oh
Bronco Info: 93 xlt,5.0 caged, extended beams work in progress

Post by steve-oh »

Do you have any pics of your front links and how you have the mounted to the axle?