Ryan's '96

yikes
Founder
Bronco Info: 1996 with tires and stuff

Re: Ryan's '96

Post by yikes »

Right on Ryan! Glad to see it all back together. Let's see some video of it ripping now.
RyanDS650X
Bronco Info: Autofab '96 XLT 5.8

Ryan's '96

Post by RyanDS650X »

yikes wrote:Right on Ryan! Glad to see it all back together. Let's see some video of it ripping now.
I’ve got a 4 day weekend coming up, I’ll try and get some.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
biggiek
Bronco Info: 92 Ford Bronco

Post by biggiek »

Sycamore trip?!
Andy Jones
Bronco Info: In the Works!

Ryan's '96

Post by Andy Jones »

Awesome!
The numbers seem low for a 408.? Am I wrong?? My cousin just had his rebuilt Maruzzi 351w Dyno at 283hp and 325tq. I’m definitely not a motor guy by any means. I just thought a 408 would scream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RyanDS650X

Post by RyanDS650X »

Andy Jones wrote:Awesome!
The numbers seem low for a 408.? Am I wrong?? My cousin just had his rebuilt Maruzzi 351w Dyno at 283hp and 325tq. I’m definitely not a motor guy by any means. I just thought a 408 would scream.

I kinda thought the same thing based on what others thought it would make and seeing videos, reading articles of other 408s. I have nothing else to base it off of though. I'm sure numbers would be different in a mustang without the weight, drivetrain and 35" tires of a bronco.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Andy Jones
Bronco Info: In the Works!

Ryan's '96

Post by Andy Jones »

RyanDS650X wrote:
Andy Jones wrote:Awesome!

I kinda thought the same thing based on what others thought it would make and seeing videos, reading articles of other 408s. I have nothing else to base it off of though. I'm sure numbers would be different in a mustang without the weight, drivetrain and 35" tires of a bronco.

Copy that! Stoked for ya, dude! I’m planning to have my motor done this year.

RyanDS650X

Ryan's '96

Post by RyanDS650X »

So when I set out to build this motor, torque was the main goal, these things weigh 6k.
Making it pass smog and make power from idle to 4k rpm was the focus and why I chose to keep the e303 cam, that rpm is its sweet spot. Kritters build was similar to mine and he makes 360ish ft lbs.
I'm super happy with the actual seat of pants street manners, it moves out.
Looking forward to your build, I hope you heed some of my advice!Image

toddz69

Post by toddz69 »

Happy to hear that it's running smooth and strong! So the E303 has a nice idle quality to it and you think it'll pass emissions? (I'm in Phoenix too). I've read varying opinions on the E303 cam. I'm looking at a crate engine right now that has that cam and was curious about its idle characteristics and performance in the low rpm range.

Thanks,
Todd Z.
RyanDS650X

Post by RyanDS650X »

toddz69 wrote:Happy to hear that it's running smooth and strong! So the E303 has a nice idle quality to it and you think it'll pass emissions? (I'm in Phoenix too). I've read varying opinions on the E303 cam. I'm looking at a crate engine right now that has that cam and was curious about its idle characteristics and performance in the low rpm range.

Thanks,
Todd Z.
I've smoged it here in Mesa and in Vegas with no troubles. Idles just fine, no issues there. I'll be on the az bronco FB run this weekend in globe if you want to check it out.

RyanDS650X

Ryan's '96

Post by RyanDS650X »

I've been putting weekend miles on the new motor and I'm very happy so far. Took the wife and dogs up north this weekend to play in the snow and cover some ground on forest roads. I live at about 3000ft and we went up to 11000 this weekend and the bronco ran great. ImageImage

biggiek
Bronco Info: 92 Ford Bronco

Post by biggiek »

Looking great!
Becks_Bronco
Bronco Info: 96 Eddie Bauer, 5.8

Post by Becks_Bronco »

Awesome! How's the sound deadener working?
RyanDS650X

Ryan's '96

Post by RyanDS650X »

Becks_Bronco wrote:Awesome! How's the sound deadener working?
It makes long drives much more tolerable for sure. I’m glad I took my time and thought out all the different layers and materials I used. Amanda even commented how much nicer it is to be able to talk and not raise your voice going down the road.
After this weekend having both dogs in the back and being able to blow out the cargo area when we got home made me glad I went with vinyl back there. All the hair and dirt that just blows out would have been trapped in carpet and require a lot more time and effort to clean.

Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

RyanDS650X wrote:
Becks_Bronco wrote:Awesome! How's the sound deadener working?
It makes long drives much more tolerable for sure. I’m glad I took my time and thought out all the different layers and materials I used. Amanda even commented how much nicer it is to be able to talk and not raise your voice going down the road.
After this weekend having both dogs in the back and being able to blow out the cargo area when we got home made me glad I went with vinyl back there. All the hair and dirt that just blows out would have been trapped in carpet and require a lot more time and effort to clean.

I found the noise level while on the highway much better too. My measurements are between 7-9db quieter between 70-75mph. worth the investment IMO. I just need to get my door panels secured so they don't rattle and i'll be set.
jhj_08
Bronco Info: 95, 5.8 AFR Heads, RV Cam, 4.56

Post by jhj_08 »

Hi Ryan,

If I may, you're a bit undersized on your air/fuel deliver system which is why you're not seeing some higher top-end Hp numbers here. Have you successfully passed smog with the 30 lb injectors? You may still pass because you're running the stock MAF, throttle body, and I'll assume stock computer.

That being said your injectors aren't going to support much more than 300 hp, your ECU won't allow the proper mixture of air-to-fuel, your MAF isn't going to read enough air to feed your injectors. All-in-all, you're going to run just fine where you are, but know that you're leaving about 50 hp (more or less) on the table.

So, 42 Ib injectors, 80 mm, custom tune, and not passing smog with a bi-annual stock top-end (injectors, TB, MAF, ECU) switch back for smog if you'd like that power. BBK makes their twin-TB. I've run the BBK and I've converted the upper intake to use mustang TBs. I prefer the mustang top-end but you'll be doing some custom brackets and air intake. It's not too difficult, but it's just one more thing.

That's my experience with similar motor set ups as you're running.

Best of luck.

RyanDS650X wrote:So when I set out to build this motor, torque was the main goal, these things weigh 6k.
Making it pass smog and make power from idle to 4k rpm was the focus and why I chose to keep the e303 cam, that rpm is its sweet spot. Kritters build was similar to mine and he makes 360ish ft lbs.

RyanDS650X

Ryan's '96

Post by RyanDS650X »

While I appreciate the input, you're a little off base. Let's get this thread up to speed on the motor details.
This tune will pass smog which is why the power numbers are conservative. Next year may be a different story...

408w
Eagle forged internally balanced crank
Eagle H beam rods
JE 9to1 pistons
Crane 1.6 rockers
Edelbrock 165cc heads, upper and lower intake manifolds, shorty headers
Bassani y pipe to 3” magnaflow cat, muffler and pipe.
255lph fuel pump
42lb injectors
90mm MAF
K&N intake tube
AEM dryflow filter
BBK 61mm throttle body port matched at the upper intake
SCT tuned

Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

jhj_08 wrote:Hi Ryan,

If I may, you're a bit undersized on your air/fuel deliver system which is why you're not seeing some higher top-end Hp numbers here. Have you successfully passed smog with the 30 lb injectors? You may still pass because you're running the stock MAF, throttle body, and I'll assume stock computer.

That being said your injectors aren't going to support much more than 300 hp, your ECU won't allow the proper mixture of air-to-fuel, your MAF isn't going to read enough air to feed your injectors. All-in-all, you're going to run just fine where you are, but know that you're leaving about 50 hp (more or less) on the table.

So, 42 Ib injectors, 80 mm, custom tune, and not passing smog with a bi-annual stock top-end (injectors, TB, MAF, ECU) switch back for smog if you'd like that power. BBK makes their twin-TB. I've run the BBK and I've converted the upper intake to use mustang TBs. I prefer the mustang top-end but you'll be doing some custom brackets and air intake. It's not too difficult, but it's just one more thing.

That's my experience with similar motor set ups as you're running.

Best of luck.

RyanDS650X wrote:So when I set out to build this motor, torque was the main goal, these things weigh 6k.

Do you have more details/pictures regarding the single blade throttle body swap?
Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

RyanDS650X wrote:While I appreciate the input, you're a little off base. Let's get this thread up to speed on the motor details.
This tune will pass smog which is why the power numbers are conservative. Next year may be a different story...

408w
Eagle H beam rods
JE 9to1 pistons
Crane 1.6 rockers
255lph fuel pump
42lb injectors
90mm MAF
K&N intake tube
AEM dryflow filter
SCT tuned

Ryan, i may be off base too, but isn't 9:1 CR a pretty conservative #? With a good tune and 91 you should be able to run 10:1 pretty easily.
RyanDS650X

Post by RyanDS650X »

Becks_Bronco wrote:
RyanDS650X wrote:While I appreciate the input, you're a little off base. Let's get this thread up to speed on the motor details.

408w
Eagle H beam rods
JE 9to1 pistons
Crane 1.6 rockers
255lph fuel pump
42lb injectors
90mm MAF
K&N intake tube
AEM dryflow filter
SCT tuned

Ryan, i may be off base too, but isn't 9:1 CR a pretty conservative #? With a good tune and 91 you should be able to run 10:1 pretty easily.
I left all that math to the professionals so I can't really give a good answer.

RyanDS650X

Ryan's '96

Post by RyanDS650X »

Installed my new tie downs today from uscargo. They're the aviation style spring loaded type and worked out great. Getting ready for the SF250.ImageImageImage