1996 Eddie Bauer

tcm glx
Peanut Butter
Bronco Info: 93 Ford Bronco 5.8

Re: 1996 Eddie Bauer

Post by tcm glx »

Your small enough to fit in the RS will....look at the tan vinyl one, it’s nice. Big boys need the extra width, the XD added 1” per side. Also, these will bolt to the factory rails.

http://www.mastercraftsafety.com/master ... ja-rs.html
PotBellyWill
Bronco Info: 1996 XL 5.8 Ex Forest Service Camping Rig- Solo Stage 2

Post by PotBellyWill »

Bummer about the PRP seats since they offer so much customization in regards to colors and materials. I was also looking at a set of the Enduros for the Bronco.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Just a head's up that pretty much anything PRP can do with materials you can do with any of the companies (twisted stitch, neristyle, mastercraft, beart/redart, etc.) you just have to ask, and then pay extra of course!
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
Hillbilly Heaven
Bronco Info: 1979 Bronco 545 swap 6R80 D60 front and 10.5 rear. Use for expedition camping go fast when at home

Post by Hillbilly Heaven »

40 inch waist and 6'-2" Would I be cramped in the standard MasterCraft RS? Fabric vs Vinyl. Notice any difference in wear
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

I think you'd want the XD. We're all different though, so sit in one of each if you can. As for vinyl vs. fabric, the tweed has worn faster than the vinyl on seats I've had. That's a big part of why they have started putting more vinyl on the high wear spots like corners, and the side bolsters where you get in and out.
Becks_Bronco
Bronco Info: 96 Eddie Bauer, 5.8

Post by Becks_Bronco »

tcm glx wrote:For long trips, I found it significantly more comfortable to have them done in vinyl vs tweed. Something to consider.

I had Baja RS tweed in my Jeep, and after 1-2 hours it sucked. Baja XD in vinyl and was seriously one of the most comfortable seats ever. Also keeps much cleaner.
Vinyl makes a lot of sense for keeping clean. What was uncomfortable about the tweed? I run super hot, and vinyl will just make me ultra sweaty. I could handle suede on the centers too vs tweed.
Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:Will - while I haven't sat in these specific seats I will second the fact that I felt a noticeable difference in comfort between my PRPs and mastercrafts (both the standard highbacks). After that I have always recommended people go sit in the seats they want before buying. Hopefully at the same place to do a side by side comparison. Or I've also recommended never to sit in mastercrafts so you don't know what you are missing & don't have to spend the extra $$....
Interesting. Do you know if Kartek has both on the showroom floor? I am fine with paying a little extra vs being miserable after a few hours on the road.

Are the PRP's more comfortable than the factory seats? That's all i really need haha
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

I run hot too and I stick to vinyl. Tweed was more itchy and soaked up water from sweaty legs vs. vinyl sticking to you. Key is to keep your AC functioning and not worry about it LOL! As for the suede, I've had a pair of those as well and they have their own issues. I love the look & feel of them, but they're a funny mix of the issues I mention above between tweed and vinyl. Not sure what I'd pick between the 3 now to be honest.
As for Karteck having them all - they may. McKenzies in Orange may have some too if they are even still around.
I haven't been there in YEARS, but that is where I made the mistake of sitting in the mastercrafts AFTER I had ordered PRP's. Don't get me wrong, PRP's are fine, but the basic "pro 4" or whatever the standard highback mastercraft seat is was more comfortable than the top end PRPs I had. My beard ultras were close to on line with the mastercrafts, with the standard beards just below that.

All that being said I've sat for hours in beards and been fine. I was a bit younger though as it's been a while. Maybe as you get older your ass/legs get pickier? I do seem to want things more comfortable & quiet now.

So yeah, not sure what to tell you aside from we're all different in opinions and build, so go sit in a few. Better yet, bum a ride in a buddy's truck if they happen to have a seat you are considering. While you'll never get to feel out the long drive comfort of a seat without spending hours in one, I'd rather go in with a 10 minute test than nothing.
Hillbilly Heaven
Bronco Info: 1979 Bronco 545 swap 6R80 D60 front and 10.5 rear. Use for expedition camping go fast when at home

Post by Hillbilly Heaven »

Now if someone creative could graft a power seat base to a MasterCraft RS then us old big guys could ride for hours in comfort. I have found that sometimes the bottom cushion angle has a lot to do with my discomfort.

Maybe some of you are old enough to remember when they placed an AC vent underneath the column to blow on the crotch area of the driver.
biggiek
Bronco Info: 92 Ford Bronco

Post by biggiek »

Becks_Bronco wrote:
biggiek wrote:
Becks_Bronco wrote:I want the interior to be comfortable in this truck. No sense in having awesome suspension if it's exhausting to drive. Since the frame if my drivers seat is whack, and the passenger armrest is missing anyways, i'm looking at some recliners from PRP. Ordered some fabric samples to see how well some of the optional materials match the Bronco interior. If the tweed and Mocha suede match well, i'll re-cover the expedition console lid in them as well.

I have these seats and was not overly impressed. I would look at the mastercraft reclining version...
what don't you like about them? What are the odds we can meet up so i can give them a try?
They are almost too loose to be a fitted style seat. There is very little bolster and they dont seem to hold you in. Again that might partially be due to getting the wide version but I'm a size 40 waist 6 5 and about 285. The customization in height made them appeal to me as all seats before were short. Maybe i should have gotten the regular width.
RyanDS650X
Bronco Info: Autofab '96 XLT 5.8

Post by RyanDS650X »

Hillbilly Heaven wrote:40 inch waist and 6'-2" Would I be cramped in the standard MasterCraft RS? Fabric vs Vinyl. Notice any difference in wear
I am the same size and have the Mastercraft XD's with vinyl. I wouldn't want the RS but Will would fit fine.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:I run hot too and I stick to vinyl. Tweed was more itchy and soaked up water from sweaty legs vs. vinyl sticking to you. Key is to keep your AC functioning and not worry about it LOL! As for the suede, I've had a pair of those as well and they have their own issues. I love the look & feel of them, but they're a funny mix of the issues I mention above between tweed and vinyl. Not sure what I'd pick between the 3 now to be honest.
As for Karteck having them all - they may. McKenzies in Orange may have some too if they are even still around.
I haven't been there in YEARS, but that is where I made the mistake of sitting in the mastercrafts AFTER I had ordered PRP's. Don't get me wrong, PRP's are fine, but the basic "pro 4" or whatever the standard highback mastercraft seat is was more comfortable than the top end PRPs I had. My beard ultras were close to on line with the mastercrafts, with the standard beards just below that.

All that being said I've sat for hours in beards and been fine. I was a bit younger though as it's been a while. Maybe as you get older your ass/legs get pickier? I do seem to want things more comfortable & quiet now.

So yeah, not sure what to tell you aside from we're all different in opinions and build, so go sit in a few. Better yet, bum a ride in a buddy's truck if they happen to have a seat you are considering. While you'll never get to feel out the long drive comfort of a seat without spending hours in one, I'd rather go in with a 10 minute test than nothing.
Working AC will ALWAYS be a thing haha. McKenzies is still there, they do have some seats on display, but i don't remember which. It's been 2-3 months since i was there last.
Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

biggiek wrote:
biggiek wrote:
Becks_Bronco wrote:I want the interior to be comfortable in this truck. No sense in having awesome suspension if it's exhausting to drive. Since the frame if my drivers seat is whack, and the passenger armrest is missing anyways, i'm looking at some recliners from PRP. Ordered some fabric samples to see how well some of the optional materials match the Bronco interior. If the tweed and Mocha suede match well, i'll re-cover the expedition console lid in them as well.

I have these seats and was not overly impressed. I would look at the mastercraft reclining version...
what don't you like about them? What are the odds we can meet up so i can give them a try?
They are almost too loose to be a fitted style seat. There is very little bolster and they dont seem to hold you in. Again that might partially be due to getting the wide version but I'm a size 40 waist 6 5 and about 285. The customization in height made them appeal to me as all seats before were short. Maybe i should have gotten the regular width.
I'm 5'9"-5'10"ish, and about 180. I'm just looking for something BETTER than the stock seats, but don't need full blown race rig bolstering or squeeze. I can't see how these wouldn't be an improvement over the OE seats. I'm not opposed to the Mastercraft by any means, but i really like the level of customization in the PRP's.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Hillbilly Heaven wrote:Maybe some of you are old enough to remember when they placed an AC vent underneath the column to blow on the crotch area of the driver.
My 2004 tundra has that vent - LOVE it. I think newer Chevy trucks still have it too.

Becks_Bronco wrote:I'm 5'9"-5'10"ish, and about 180. I'm just looking for something BETTER than the stock seats, but don't need full blown race rig bolstering or squeeze. I can't see how these wouldn't be an improvement over the OE seats. I'm not opposed to the Mastercraft by any means, but i really like the level of customization in the PRP's.
You'll fit in the RS for sure - you're pretty much my size. As for customization, I'd say call mastercraft. I know these guys all get materials at a lot of the same suppliers and are willing to do custom stuff.

1 note based on seeing the pic of your tan PRP you posted - the piping on the seats is a premature fail point. I like the old school look of it, but they started getting away from it & going to double blind stitching (french seam) as the piping would pull away/tear away at the seams. Typically this was the worse around the hip bolster area you slide over every time you get in and out of the seat. I know most of my older ones seemed to give way here 1st.
Nick
Founder
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target

Post by Nick »

Wil, you'll swim in an xd. Rs is the way to go for you smaller folks.
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

ChaseTruck754 wrote:
Hillbilly Heaven wrote:Maybe some of you are old enough to remember when they placed an AC vent underneath the column to blow on the crotch area of the driver.
My 2004 tundra has that vent - LOVE it. I think newer Chevy trucks still have it too.

Becks_Bronco wrote:I'm 5'9"-5'10"ish, and about 180. I'm just looking for something BETTER than the stock seats, but don't need full blown race rig bolstering or squeeze. I can't see how these wouldn't be an improvement over the OE seats. I'm not opposed to the Mastercraft by any means, but i really like the level of customization in the PRP's.
You'll fit in the RS for sure - you're pretty much my size. As for customization, I'd say call mastercraft. I know these guys all get materials at a lot of the same suppliers and are willing to do custom stuff.

1 note based on seeing the pic of your tan PRP you posted - the piping on the seats is a premature fail point. I like the old school look of it, but they started getting away from it & going to double blind stitching (french seam) as the piping would pull away/tear away at the seams. Typically this was the worse around the hip bolster area you slide over every time you get in and out of the seat. I know most of my older ones seemed to give way here 1st.
Toyota 4 runners had the ball vent too, at least the 3rdgens.

I'll give mastercraft a call, but to be wholly honest i like the PRP's aesthetically MUCH better. Just a preference thing. Good info on the piping, i will keep that in mind. This is nowhere near a daily driver, so i think i could probably get years out of the seats before any wear failure occurs.

Appreciate everyone's info on the size, Nick, Ryan, Steve and Tony all know what my frame is like, so good to see you all agree on the RS being fine for me. My GF has hips though, so i might go to Kartek with her and have her sit in a few to make sure she's comfortable. I'm ok with sacrificing bolstering for ease of entry and exit, and on-road driving comfort. She would not be comfortable or happy in a deep bucket.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

If you like the looks of the PRP's by all means go with them. They are not a "bad" seat by any means. I just found the mastercrafts a bit more comfortable. I've still sat in PRP's with no complaints though so you'll be fine with whichever way you go. And you're right on the piping with it not being a DD. With DD duty getting in and out of my brother's little '85 toyo the piping split at the seam after 2 years I think. We were really rubbing on it to get in/out though. If you've ever tried to get in one of the 80's toyos with race seats you'll know what I mean. I never got to the point of splitting the ones in my ranger, explorer, etc., but I switched seats a lot in the ranger and they had more room getting in so less direct wear too.

Good plan with the GF. Karen is tiny but still has female hips and she is slightly tight in the standard beards. Just enough to make the PRP DD seat with lower bolsters a better option. The PRP's you are looking at and the Mastercraft RS have less hip bolstering than the standard seats though so they may fit/work better.
Nick
Founder
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target

Post by Nick »

Check out the smittybuilt seats as well. Very similar to the mastercrafts but at a better price point.
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

Got off my butt and dealt with the trans pan since my Punisher valve body came in. Didn't feel like dealing with the mess of dropping the full pan to drain it, so i just drilled a hole and let it sit for a few hours. Then it was just a matter of brapping all the bolts out and pulling the filter out. I'll be installing a Moroso pan, Lubelocker gasket, Punisher valve body, and a new filter.

I can't wait to finish up all the boring maintenance items and actually start with upgrades.

Becks_Bronco

Post by Becks_Bronco »

Went to install new pan gasket etc after putting in my Punisher Valve Body, and well.... looks like the 4wd filter pickup is too long, and results in the pan not fitting up all the way. 2wd filter ordered.

Anyways, the inside of the transmission looks brand new, no shavings or mystery parts down in the pan. Hopefully lots of life left.