Josh aka greaslifes 86

greaslife
Bronco Info: Home built is the way too go even if they don't like it.

Re: Josh aka greaslifes 86

Post by greaslife »

I was planing on going on the port match. I have looked at cams and some of the people I have talked too told me they nearly don't pass smog. I might go with a piston set just because I know 2 of them got dinged it's all. Money. I'm not going too rush with this just going too run the 5.0 until it lets go or I get this thing built the way I want it. Who's cam and pistil a do you recommend. I was looking at summits.
greaslife

Post by greaslife »

Here's the rockers I was thinking of.
COMP Cams 1411-8 - COMP Cams Magnum Steel Roller Tip Rocker Arms
Rmc
El Jefe
Bronco Info: 94 bronco xlt prerunner

Post by Rmc »

hobbyturnedobsession wrote:Gt40 heads aren't smog legal. A set of Afr heads will be better smog legal and if found can be had for the same price as a set of gt40s after a rebuild. Also stock can and 1.7 roller rockers will do a hell of a lot along with port matching the lower intake.
Gt40p or x are. P's are the higher flow of the 2.
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

If your keeping it stock I'd get the summit rebuild kit. Good parts and really reasonable on price. Plus they'll modify any kit for you needs. Call me tonight. I have some stuff for you to consider.
crisis88
Bronco Info: 94 fsb stock

Post by crisis88 »

Good choice picking this up. If it didn't sell I told randy I would pick it up. To do exactly what you are doing. But I was going to do a stock rebuild.
VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Post by VintageIronFab »

Josh what material did you end up using for your truss?? Solid or tubing?? I'm literally gonna get this done tonight!
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

Tubing. .120 wall what ever you have on hand. You could go thicker if you want.
greaslife

Post by greaslife »

Rmc is wright I used .120 1 1/4 it's just a pice of scrap that hade the wright bend in it.
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

If you get GT40P aka 4 bar heads the Bronco 302 headers will not bolt up. At least that is what I have heard. You might want to check...
You should be able to get a set of 3 bar GT40 that are rebuilt for $600-700. They will give you a gain of 35-40 hp over stock. With port matching and a 1.7 lifters and a good cam it would wake the pony up. I plan to run a 408 kit on my 351w with GT40 heads. I am shooting for 400hp but we shall see.
greaslife

Post by greaslife »

After looking at prices the heads are out of my budget for now. I'm just going too do a pot job on the stockers concentrating on the exhaust. On the intake I'm not going too go wild. The the upper and lower intake.

Does the 302 upper bolt up too the 351 lower. I'm trying not too have any badges on the motor for smog reasons
VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Post by VintageIronFab »

The 302 upper doesnt bolt to the 351 lower unless you either get the GT40 lower or get an adapter from BC Broncos.
greaslife

Post by greaslife »

While I do the heads I might just remove the 5.8 badge and paint the upper and lower. Going too start on the heads this weakened. Any big thing too watch out for when porting ford exhaust ports.
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Are you polishing the ports also? Or just matching the headers and the heads? I have polished and ported 2 stroke Top ends to cleanup casting marks, is that one of the goals?

One of the obvious things to do is keep it cool and don't blue the metal. Use cutting oil spray.
greaslife

Post by greaslife »

Not polishing just going too knock down the excessive ramp at the bottom of the port along with matching too the header. Going too match the ports on all intake parts as we'll removing minimal material
Rmc
El Jefe

Post by Rmc »

Rough on intake ports smooth as polished aluminum on exhaust. The more chatter and chunky the finish on the way into the cylinder means better atomization but its hard to match all exactly. Something to keep in mind. I've done alot of carbureted heads but never fuel injected.
greaslife

Post by greaslife »

I've done vow and chevy heads but never a ford.
greaslife

Post by greaslife »

Edit ". VW
BDKW1
Bronco Info: It's the new and inproved Party Barge!

Post by BDKW1 »

Rmc wrote:Rough on intake ports smooth as polished aluminum on exhaust. The more chatter and chunky the finish on the way into the cylinder means better atomization but its hard to match all exactly. Something to keep in mind. I've done alot of carbureted heads but never fuel injected.
Not so, a rough surface on the port creates a boundary layer. Only useful if your port is way oversized. FI engines do not care if the port is rough or smooth from a mixture standpoint.
hobbyturnedobsession
Bronco Info: 96 c/o w/ 5.0

Post by hobbyturnedobsession »

They actually do. Smooth the ports and you'll have more issues with leaning and as RMC said atomization based on flow tests rise.
Wrightracing.net

I don't think this apllies to a multi port injected motor as much as a throttle body fuel injection system. From what I have seen, removing casting lines and polish the intake uniform to combat inconsistent air flow. If you want to get a little more advanced than add swirl lines into the intake. To do it right it has to be uniform all the way through the intake. This is not for novices. I have done it on a simple 2 stroke head and it made the throttle response feel a little better.

Something to think about. When in dought Simple is better .