Drooopy's 94

Drooopy
Bronco Info: 94 XLT 351W/E4OD Mostly Stock

Drooopy's 94

Post by Drooopy »

I picked up my 94 back in 08 from a guy who had his daughter driving it to high school. Once I cleaned it up and did some much needed maintenance, I just drove it till 2010. At that point I pulled the 5.8 and did a quick reseal mostly to replace the rear main and oil pan gaskets and get at some of the air components on the back of the engine. Left the head gaskets alone at that point. Put the engine back in and drove it a couple more years.

Fast forward to last year, I picked up a full set of autofab glass in a trade with a guy who had sold his bronco before ever starting the rebuild. Got fenders, hood, quarters, front tube bumper kit, new core support, and a bunch of other stuff. Been planning the install for a couple months. Decided to fix a quick exhaust leak a couple weeks ago and found coolant leaking out the side of the block at the passenger head gasket. Threw the entire long term install plan out the window, got permission from my boss to keep in in the shop for a few weeks while I work on it, and tore it down.

That brings us up to current. Now some pics.

As it sat before teardown. Autofab bumper kit built and installed but not painted.

Rear bumper I built a few months ago. Not exactly pre-runner style, but it gets the spare tire mounted the way I wanted.

First few hours of tear down.

Sitting now.

So current work:
Pulled engine completely apart and doing a complete reseal. Short block is in great shape once I got down that far. Coolant was leaking out only, not into the cylinders or oil. Gonna leave it mostly stock. Couldn't get the exhaust bolts at the manifolds to come loose. Broke 2 studs before I gave up on that and cut the y pipe out.

Dont really want to spend the money on headers right now, but may have to. Going with a Bassanni y pipe. Gotta keep it passing emissions and dont have a decent exhaust shop anywhere around me to do something custom. Welding up some new coil buckets out of a bunch of plate I have sitting around. Thicker than it needs to be @3/8", but it is what I have already. Increasing the height of the buckets 1" over stock. Plan eventually to run 5.5 deavers front and standard C&T 0 degree bushings.

Lift will have to wait until funding comes in for it, but glass is all going on now. Can I run 35" BFG's with glass and no lift?

guess thats all for now
VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Re: Drooopy's 94

Post by VintageIronFab »

Good to see your truck moving along! As far as the 35's and no lift-- you can run 35's and no lift with stock fenders if you want. Its really when you run a wide wheel with lots of offset that starts tearing up the fenders.
http://www.vintageironfabworks.com

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
Drooopy

Post by Drooopy »

What paint should I use on the frame? Body is in rough shape rust wise. Coil buckets and spring hangers actually scare me a little, but the frame seems to be in pretty decent shape with minimal surface rust. Gonna wire wheel what i can and coat it.
-JD5353-
Bronco Info: 1992 EB, current build, 44/50 beams, 10.5 axle, 6BT swap, gofast

Post by -JD5353- »

Nice start. Honestly I just use brand name spray paint like krylon, semi gloss. Looks just as good as any other paint but is cheap, durable, easy to apply and touch up. If you are in a rust area you could use a encapsulator like por15 but that stuff is a fortune and still needs a top coat.
cwrisley
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco..........

Drooopy's 94

Post by cwrisley »

I just do Rustoleum flat black. Easy to apply, easy to touch up.

-JD5353-
Bronco Info: 1992 EB, current build, 44/50 beams, 10.5 axle, 6BT swap, gofast

Post by -JD5353- »

That looks really good. Rustoleum is good as well. Only thing I've noticed with flat black is that it often stains with mud or oil/grease. Your experience may vary.
Drooopy

Post by Drooopy »

I am likely going with flat black for the body as well. Going to do a couple coats of matte clear on top to hopefully keep the staining at bay.

Decided I was going to buy 35" tires and checked CL this morning. Brand new set of 5 BFG AT KO with stickers still on for 700. Jumped on that.

Will be trying to wire wheel and clean as much as possible so I can paint the frame by Friday. Head bolts and headers should be here Wednesday. Gonna spray the engine once I get it assembled.

On a down side, looked at the bolts i pulled from the lower intake. Seems the front 2 bolts stripped the head threads when they came loose. Looks like helicoils because I have no $ for heads right now.
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

If you use a Flat Clear coat over the flat black you will avoid the paint staining due to mud, oil or grease. The paint will last alot longer also.
Drooopy

Drooopy's 94

Post by Drooopy »

So I cut the quarters off. Some serious rust up under there. Inner quarter was totally rotten and the rear section of the body is in bad shape. Anyone know if there is a patch panel for this back area?

[
Drooopy

Post by Drooopy »

I got in a few hours yesterday on my new coil buckets. I think they are going to turn out nicely.

I am trying to figure out how to size my new shocks. I am going to use a double eyelet style shock. It is 16.75 inches eye to eye right now but I have no engine or front end on it so it will drop down closer to 15 i think by the time the weight is all back on. I will only be running it this way until i can afford to do a c&t setup but I want it to run well. Any ideas on what size bilstein to run?
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Drooopy's 94

Post by cs_drums »

Measure, from where your shock mounts will be, how much it cycles. Give your self some wiggle room on both ends.
Drooopy

Post by Drooopy »

Almost done with the coil buckets so I should have the measurements soon.

Ran into a new issue today. Looks like the crossover hose on the fuel injector rail is busted. I checked Rock Auto and found no replacement. Any suggestion on where to find a new assembly. Would be fine with replacing the whole assembly as it is looking rather rough.
Tchajagos
Bronco Info: 1993 xlt stock on 33' BFGs

Drooopy's 94

Post by Tchajagos »

Pick a part.
Drooopy

Post by Drooopy »

Tchajagos wrote:Pick a part.
I wish there was one worth going to around here.
Drooopy

Post by Drooopy »

cs_drums wrote:Measure, from where your shock mounts will be, how much it cycles. Give your self some wiggle room on both ends.
Cycled from bump to full droop on the spring. 14" compressed, 19" extended on the shock. Found a 5125 that is 13 to 20 that should be perfect.

Really makes me want to do the front end.
Drooopy

Post by Drooopy »

Getting really close to getting this truck back on the road and will bring the thread up to date when I do, but got a quick question.

I went from fully stock exhaust to ss headers and bassani 3" y pipe and it seems like i may have already cooked my starter.

What should I do to manage heat off this new exhaust. Last thing I want to do is get into a hot summer traffic jam and cook everything under the hood.
dtbback
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig

Post by dtbback »

Ceramic coating.
Drooopy

Post by Drooopy »

dtbback wrote:Ceramic coating.
I am not thrilled about taking it all back out for that. Dont get me wrong, I will do it if it is the only way.
Drooopy

Post by Drooopy »

Oh and it turns out the starter is not totally cooked. The motor ground was though. Gotta figure that out.
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

Any room to get a heat shield in there? Fab up an aluminum one if so.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects