Lowrance update

PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Lowrance update

Post by PaulW »

I just went thru the Lowrance gps buy and I will share some things I found out
HDS Gen3 will not accept 3rd party maps. PCI cannot sell them because the word is out
HDS Gen2 will accept 3rd party maps if you select the correct SW version which is v2.5. The later versions use the Gen3 map SW.
Gen2 units are very hard to find. Both Chris and I just found GEN2 7M . They are very rare because they were discontinued years ago. Both the 7m and 8m will work
On the web look for a 7m or 8m head with no cable or bracket then buy them. The head has everything to be functional. I doubt if the external antenna is worth having due to cost. The internal antenna on Gen2 is 5Hz and that is good enough. I shopped for a point 1 antenna and never found any discounted. It will be slightly faster. Internal antenna work fine in your Bronco. At least try the thing with no external antenna to see if you believe me.
Last of all try to find a "M" version because it is for land use with deleted radar and sonar. Thus the menus are much easier to deal with and you don't have to change the screen settings all the time.
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

Thanks for the update Paul.

I am still running the old Lowrance Global Map 2400's

I want to upgrade eventually, so it is good to know about the map issue.

David...
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Re: Lowrance update

Post by SteveG »

Lowrance makes it really hard to not go with an IPad or other tablet in place of one of their units.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
RyanDS650X
Bronco Info: Autofab '96 XLT 5.8

Post by RyanDS650X »

SteveG wrote:Lowrance makes it really hard to not go with an IPad or other tablet in place of one of their units.
I agree it's just seems so much more complicated than it needs to be. Tablet for me.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

Do not get confused. A tablet or phone are not a substitutes for a Lowrance global map or HDS GEN1/2
They are complicated because they have all the needed features. What we do on our Lowrance cannot be done on the popular stuff, including the top of the line Garmin.
To each his own A pretty picture with you GPS location is just that - nice picture.
If you know how to use a computer with most of its features then a Lowrance will not be a problem. Reading the manual happend=s to be required because they are different. Having a buddy with one sure helps.
Besides Murdocknav does not support anything except Garmin and Lowrance. So what can you get all the race roads and all the roads and trails we supply Murdock with.
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

I do love my Lowrance XOG on the quad for riding. Kind of the pits is direct sunlight, but is great at night.

As for the tablet or phone, great for city driving, but does not cut it down in Baja. The durability of a Lowrance can be compared to a tablet, unless is a Panasonic ruggedized Toughbook Tablet. I have been thinking of putting one in the Bronco. Then I can easily reprogram channels into the race radio and get a better display. The issue is software that has the same features as my Lowrance.

I have thousands upon thousands of miles with the Lowrance and I have yet to see anything better thus far. I would love to have a Toughbook with a Lowrance operating system and functions. That would be the best setup. In my opinion.

David...
Wrightracing.net

Typo, need edit, Lowrance can't be compared to a tablet

David...
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Sorry, Paul. I didn't mean to derail your thread. This is good info and I absolutely appreciate the post. Personally, I prefer an iPad but there's no denying Lowrance makes a fantastic product.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
hollandermotorsports
Bronco Info: 1990 Bronco lifted, 1995 Centurian F-150 with body lift delete

Post by hollandermotorsports »

Yes we went through all of this at Norra and this is great info. I had no clue about it until I was trying to load my new baja roads chip. If you are buying new you can spec it out for PCI to do this. You can still load race maps just not some of the nice to have maps like baja roads and the other files that are specific to v2.5. There was a licencing issue from what I was told and it had a crazy cost in order to reformat for v3.0 which was not justifiable. Thankfully my buddy PCI Scott was there to explain and assist us at 11pm the night before the race and he was starting the race the next day. PCI has a set up on their FAQ area of their website to back rev software back to v2.5 which is what I had to do. I have a chip now with software loaded if someone needs it.

As for the typical tablet to Lowrance I will buy Lowrance all day long they are built for a beating whether boat or truck. I have broke way to many ipads and cell phones for me to even consider as my main source of navigation. If the argument is because ease of use call PCI and get them to send you a cheat sheet or they may even have it on their website. I hated my first HDS because I was used to the old ones now I love them after a crash coarse with Scott. I also have some elite 7s for chase trucks and they are very user friendly like older Lowrance stuff.
VintageIronFab
Bronco Info: Bronco List:

Post by VintageIronFab »

I wish they'd just make a full race version that does turn by turn and a backup camera can plug in too!
http://www.vintageironfabworks.com

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

VintageIronFab wrote:I wish they'd just make a full race version that does turn by turn and a backup camera can plug in too!
Get a tablet for those full features
DMbronco
Bronco Info: 96 XLT 351

Post by DMbronco »

Anyone have any tips for sourcing more detailed offroad maps for my Lowrance Globalmap Baja540C?
Not sure if this unit is gen1 or 2...

I would like to load in topographical maps to help me out when exploring around. Spend most of my time north of the border in Anza Borrego and Ocotillo-
would be stoked to have Mexico info too.

I have read people having good results with California Trail Maps. http://www.californiatrailmap.com/Using ... ceMap.aspx

Any input would be appreciated- thanks!
funinthesun95
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco MAF UsShift

Post by funinthesun95 »

the Baja 540 is pre Gen 1 or Gen 2 HDS....
Good people + Great info = GFB
@csracingteam
@Cockstarmotorsports
funinthesun95

Post by funinthesun95 »

http://www.californiatrailmap.com/

this guy has done a very good job.

http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/thread ... 068/page-3

Above is some background
@csracingteam
@Cockstarmotorsports
funinthesun95

Post by funinthesun95 »

@csracingteam
@Cockstarmotorsports
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

DMbronco wrote:Anyone have any tips for sourcing more detailed offroad maps for my Lowrance Globalmap Baja540C?
Not sure if this unit is gen1 or 2...

I would like to load in topographical maps to help me out when exploring around. Spend most of my time north of the border in Anza Borrego and Ocotillo-
would be stoked to have Mexico info too.

I have read people having good results with California Trail Maps. http://www.californiatrailmap.com/Using ... ceMap.aspx

Any input would be appreciated- thanks!
====
As noted a 540C is a GlobalMap and is not an HDS gen 1,2,or3 Maps pr you 540 use a .LCM format

I am not a CA guy so I have no CA specific .LCM maps for my Lowrance.
Sources for .LCM maps
ORW sells "off road Recreation Mapping Software , Part # PJPSW" Seems Ok
PCI sells 5 new maps for Lowrance go to https://www.pciraceradios.com/collections/mapping
The only one I have so far is "Lowrance Topo Insight PRO West" I put it into my HDS Gen2-7M and it was awful No contrast so I cannot see the back roads
Like any map for Lowrance its a crap shoot for your specific GPS. I suggest you buy them all and tell us which ones are best.
I see PCI has two versions for Baja. I think one is .LCM and the other is for Gen3 with the new Lowrance format.

For Baja I firmly believe Murdoch has the best , but so far it is .LCM format. It works for all pre HDS including HDS Gen3 with v1.25 only. The reason I like Murdock is he adds back roads when we feed them to him. His latest version even included KM WPs that work for many on the GPSs, but not all.

I have been reading about your link above and the guy is constantly adding back roads for CA. Expect to want continuous updates to be happy.
Here is a pic of the PCI offerings. (New this week)
Attachments
PCI maps.jpg
PCI maps.jpg (81.01 KiB) Viewed 3099 times
DMbronco
Bronco Info: 96 XLT 351

Post by DMbronco »

Willie and Paul,

Thank you very much for your help- you guys are a wealth of knowledge.

Appreciate you sharing with us!
VintageIronFab

Post by VintageIronFab »

I know this is an older thread but I’ve wondered if the Lowrance units can be hacked into to allow for a user to have turn by turn? The newer model allows for a video feed of a backup camera but no idea on anything else??

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)
PaulW

Post by PaulW »

No Lowrance maps with that kind of detail. Having said that an XOG does have turn by turn capability and several people have verified that it works OK in Baja. I have not used it so I do not have first hand knowledge. My 2018 Ford has turn by turn nav and in Mexicali it is a joke. The city has numerous hits for any address you input and I never did find the what I wanted. Maybe it could find a large business, but a simple address was hopeless.
The reason for no Lowrance maps is because first of all Lowrance charges a large amount to get the license to produce the maps and second the labor to produce the maps is great and there is virtually no way to recover the cost.
Garmin gives away maps so that is the platform you will want to use. These Garmin maps are useful for all kinds of tablets, phones as well as stand alone GPS units.
Usefulness of any GPS with turn by turn nav is highly dependent on regular updates for the map. most nav GPSs like what con=mes in a modern car/truck is not worth much unless you pay to get at least annual updates. Some expensive Garmin units have free updates and others cost. Example is the Lowrance XPG . It ws never updated and is not many year obsolete.
Bottom line -- buy an new car/truck or just convert to tablet/phone or Garmin GPS. I am now doing a shooting match between my trusty Lowrance and a tablet that has 3 different GPS maps. Results so far: Murdock in the Lowrance wins in Baja. In the states all the tablet SW setups are pretty good and Lowrance is awful. I am a navigator and seldom use turn by turn but the tablet apps are suppose to work. Best tablet so far for both Baja and US is Inreach/Earthmate
VintageIronFab

Post by VintageIronFab »

When I went to Ensenada a few weeks back I was amazed how well my iPhone navigation worked and found all kinds of places- it found the San Nicholas hotel without issue just as a reference. Just makes me wonder how or why buy a Lowrance unit. Guessing because it’s a satellite network thing vs a cell tower??

77- "Victoria"
71- "Annie" Halfcab
73- "Heloise"
96- "Cheryl"
95- Marilyn (F150)