GFB exclusive radio frequency

BajaF250
Bronco Info: 1982 Ford F250

Post by BajaF250 »

All,

It seems that each time we all gather for an event, we all search for a relatively quiet frequency in which we can coordinate and communicate. Most have some sort of race/chase radio installed but use is often rendered less than helpful because everyone has a different channel/frequency load. Thus finding a common, quiet channel/frequency is at times, challenging.

Thus, I propose a primary and secondary, GFB exclusive VHF radio frequency. One in which we can all use, and ultimately, will all have loaded into our radios. I've coordinated with our very own Steve G at Rugged Race Radios, to help identify a useful set of frequencies for our own GFB reserved use. Steve's unique understanding of the off road community’s VHF band usage provides us significant insights allowing a focused frequency selection.

After exhaustive research, Steve identified two frequencies for our use, one primary and one backup/secondary. They are:
GFB-1 [primary]: 153.035MHz
GFB-2 [secondary]: 152.360MHz

I fully realize that this proposal introduces a bit of an issue, as most of us rely on someone to program our individually selected frequency choices into our exclusive channel plans which in turn will ultimately cost us to have radios reprogrammed. With that said, most of us will change our programming sometime in the future will added or deleted frequencies and we each have a choice on how we’d like to add/delete our individual programming. Ultimately, this just means that those that choose to adopt the new frequencies as proposed, will have the new freqs available based on their own timing. So, over a period of time, the GFB exclusive channels will be more and more useable as folks get their radios reprogrammed.

Just my two cents… looking at getting all my radios reprogrammed in the very near future [but most unfortunately, not prior to KOH this year, but this event is what catalyzed the idea]! See you on the new GFB airwaves!!!

I'd also challenge Steve his thoughts and ideas on a potential path forward on radio programming ... :D
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Post by cs_drums »

This is awesome!
D1cker1
Bronco Info: 93 EB Bronco 12"Over 40" BFG projects 5.13 gears in a 8.8... 1 seat and stripped Interior

Re: GFB exclusive radio frequency

Post by D1cker1 »

love it
Integrity, Money, Relevance
1amD1cker1@gmail.com
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Haha! I'm not so sure about exhaustive, but I think those frequencies will do.

I'll be at KOH as of tomorrow afternoon. If you bring me your radios, I can do it there, but please plan on leaving them as our workload will he high. If I make it to dinner on Thursday, I can do it there, but don't count on it as I have no idea what will be happening that evening. Aside from that, if we're going to be crossing paths at some point, let me know you need programming and I'll be sure to have my gear on me. I will also be at The LeDuc Swap Meet (both), the 500 and 1000.

I'm also going to work on setting up a test and tune day where we can meet up (preferably somewhere cool) and test, program and tune radios.

NOTE: I can't program ALL radios, only the common stuff. Some of the less common radios can be programmed at the office or by our SoCal tech, Gerardo.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

Dude,
Take credit where credit is due! :lol: 8-) :lol:
ChaseTruck754
Spy/Ninja
Bronco Info: Don't have one - just old Ford trucks

Post by ChaseTruck754 »

You have the capabilites to program the Maratracs Steve? I would assume so, but figured since there's a decent sized group of guys on here with them I'd ask.
Owner of only dead and forgotten projects
1Hondalover
Bronco Info: Having so much fun with friends in Baja, we're not sure if we want to race NORRA.....

Post by 1Hondalover »

Cool idea. Too bad we didn't have this worked out before KOH. In the absence of much cell signal in the valley, I guess we'll iron out a Fred Flintstone comms path on Thursday at dinner to hopefully gather the Broncos for pics on Friday.
dtbback
Bronco Info: 1996 EB 351W!! First Bronco!! Plan: Prerunner/ Trail Rig/ SHTF All around Rig

Post by dtbback »

This is a great idea!!!
Nick
Founder
Bronco Info: 1995 bird poop target

Post by Nick »

Sweet!
"If at first you don't succeed, it may be cheaper to buy it."
BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

I was able to stop by the fab and reprogram all four of my maratracs. So, I now have the new GFB VHF exclusive frequencies loaded... now for the next stage... gotta figure out how to reprogram my Vertex in the RZR. I haven't messed around with it yet so I have to figure out the programming process and then puke the new channel code into the radio. Gonna try to hit it up tonight if I can make some extra time! :D
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Just bring it to me, Tom. Piece of cake.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
cs_drums
Bronco Info: 94 5.8 Bronco w/dreams of being finished

Post by cs_drums »

I have a vertex too. I'm sure a lot do as well. I'd appreciate a go by if you feel like it
BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

SteveG wrote:Just bring it to me, Tom. Piece of cake.
I fooled around with it last night... I'm having a problem communicating with the radio... not the radio issue, it's the computer... port/IRQ conflict or assignment issue. I'm going to try a different computer. After too much time, I couldn't figure out how to eliminate the conflict. I'll get it eventually! :D
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

Good plan for special freqs. Guys do you have the programming SW/cable?
Older radios came with Serial connection to the PC and that requires a lot of messing around to get SW and a cable adapter. It is possible to make the old stuff work, but easier to buy new SW/Cable for your specific radio.
Here in San Felipe the various Jeep club members have an array of different brands of radios and sure enough as time goes on the old standby SW/cables we have used does not work for the new guys and they have to get help in the states for new programming. Its a long drive to get PCI help.
Tip: Always buy the SW/Cable when you get a new radio. It also helps to have the seller send you a typical file for an existing program.
rdcjuanb
Bronco Info: 1995 Bronco parked in garage. Long term project.

Post by rdcjuanb »

SteveG you work for Rugged, I see you mentioned Gerardo?
funinthesun95
Bronco Info: 1992 Bronco MAF UsShift

Post by funinthesun95 »

I am a Fan of this ...
Good people + Great info = GFB
@csracingteam
@Cockstarmotorsports
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

rdcjuanb wrote:SteveG you work for Rugged, I see you mentioned Gerardo?
I do.
Sho nuff,
SteveG
BajaF250

Post by BajaF250 »

BajaF250 wrote:
SteveG wrote:Just bring it to me, Tom. Piece of cake.
I fooled around with it last night... I'm having a problem communicating with the radio... not the radio issue, it's the computer... port/IRQ conflict or assignment issue. I'm going to try a different computer. After too much time, I couldn't figure out how to eliminate the conflict. I'll get it eventually! :D

Turns out The Antenna Farm where I ordered my Vertex programming software, sent the wrong version, not for my VX-2200 radio... bummed. But, I have a fix for it.

I also reprogrammed my little Baofeng UV-82HP handheld... that was the easiest of them all!
tvoymang
Bronco Info: (Former) 90' Bronco 351W

Post by tvoymang »

You should be able to have the antenna farm email you a zip file for any vertex programs. Shouldn't need to be on a disc. I download all my vertex software of the internet.
SteveG
Admin

Post by SteveG »

All,

The family and I are going to be in Anza Borrego the weekend of the 26 & 27th camping and trying out our new relay truck. I'll have all my antenna tuning and radio programming equipment on me, so if anyone needs help with comms equipment, let me know. As of now, I don't know where we'll be but can post up coordinates and will be on the Rugged Relay channel, 152.960. Some of you may already have it in your radios under the old Campeones name. I'm also thinking about adding some prizes for the first to find us... not that we'll be hiding.
Sho nuff,
SteveG