Newb recommendations.

Mr. VanDii
Bronco Info: 1988 F150 4x4 Short wheel base

Newb recommendations.

Post by Mr. VanDii »

As part of what I'm building I feel like the ability to communicate with the world around me during my offroad adventures would be something of importance. I did some minor searching and was thinking about just going with a simple used CB radio. Then I found out that there are a bunch of different type out there. Now, I'm feeling a bit overrun, as I have never done anything like this before.

I plan on doing alot of trailing, a little mudding, moderate rocking, and moderate desert. I would also like to have some fun at events like KoH, or the easter jeep sefari. What kinds of radios would be a good match for that? with that said, do the GPS units have built in communications? I don't even know where o start! :oops:
Broncodawg
Bronco Info: Ole Yeller- 89 Bronco prerunner, 77 Bronco rock rig, 79 F100 prerunner barn find

Re: Newb recommendations.

Post by Broncodawg »

Many jeep/offroad clubs run CB radios as simple and cheap. Many clubs are evolving into ham radio because of the far greater range available from the higher quality and power radios. This GFB group and desert racing in general use what are called "Businees band" radios and or ham radios modified to work on business band and you won't find much CB chatter around desert racing. If just cruising trails in the woods, you'll find more people on CB, so good to start there.

Don't buy a used radio or antenna as very cheap new and no surprises. Small easily mounted radios can be bought for as cheap as $70 at radio shack. Magnet mount antenna centered on a metal roof will transmit and receive well if tuned properly. Ask radio shack about tuning antenna to radio and your on the air!
Enjoy!
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

Mr. VanDii wrote:As part of what I'm building I feel like the ability to communicate with the world around me during my offroad adventures would be something of importance. I did some minor searching and was thinking about just going with a simple used CB radio. Then I found out that there are a bunch of different type out there. Now, I'm feeling a bit overrun, as I have never done anything like this before.

I plan on doing a lot of trailing, a little mudding, moderate rocking, and moderate desert. I would also like to have some fun at events like KoH, or the easter jeep sefari. What kinds of radios would be a good match for that? with that said, do the GPS units have built in communications? I don't even know where o start! :oops:
========
The group or event you attend controls which radio you need. Discuss with each group to get the answer for each.
* Consider what you local club guys are using. I have found north of the border is seems to be CBs. They are available mostly at truck stops or from the web. Just about any CB brand/model will meet your needs for that category.
* Consider getting a VHF radio if you want to listen in on the racers either north or south of the border. Many more choices and higher cost for this category. If you go that way what is common are a typical race radio that can be programmed. The HAM radios fit into that category. If you are a DIY guy then get the software and cable for your PC for programming.
* So if you want to do both then get 2 radios.
Mr. VanDii

Post by Mr. VanDii »

I gotcha, so if I'm going to a trailing event that is geared towards fun like the easter jeep safari, or mudfest, then a CB is the way to go. If the event is a more serious competition event, like the best in the desert, or Koh, then a ham radio or vhf radio is the way to go.

Am I on the right track?
Broncodawg
Bronco Info: Ole Yeller- 89 Bronco prerunner, 77 Bronco rock rig, 79 F100 prerunner barn find

Post by Broncodawg »

Mr. VanDii wrote:I gotcha, so if I'm going to a trailing event that is geared towards fun like the easter jeep safari, or mudfest, then a CB is the way to go. If the event is a more serious competition event, like the best in the desert, or Koh, then a ham radio or vhf radio is the way to go.

Am I on the right track?
Yep, you got it. I have both a CB and vhf radio so I'm covered whatever I'm doing.
Mr. VanDii

Post by Mr. VanDii »

do you swap them out, or are they both mounted in your rig? could I see a picture?
Broncodawg

Post by Broncodawg »

No pics sorry and center console and seats are out right now, but cb is under dash and vhf is in the Tuffy center console. They have cbs now that are only about 4 inches wide and a little more deep and they are easy to mount because of it. Get a cheap CB as even the pricey ones only put out 5 watts
Seabass
Bronco Info: 96 bronco

Post by Seabass »

Who are you looking to communicate with and what do they have? That's the only way to decide what you need. If you want one or both just because you want it you don't need justification from the interwebz.

Technically your required to have a license to transmit on anything besides a cb radio. Lot's of people have modified ham "race radios" without the license. If your interested in it go to a ham shop and ask questions. They usually sell both and love to talk. That way you can figure out what works best for you.
Seabass

Post by Seabass »

I believe pci and the solder joint are owned by the same family. Might be wrong...
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Newb recommendations.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

There are high wattage CB radio's like the 100 watt Ranger and some other 10/11 meter Ham export radio's that work on the CB frequencies. No legal to use in the US. Back in the early 1980's we used CB radio's in Mexico with amplifiers but my last one was a 100 watt Ranger which I still have and works great. It is now part of my base station setup. I may get a CB for the Bronco but I will be looking for a remote head one like my Kenwood race radio and have it connected to the intercom and wired to a single microphone that is switable. That is if the radio's microphones are compatible.
Seabass

Post by Seabass »

Back when radio shack had people who did more than sell cellphones and batteries I got kicked out of 2 of them for asking questions about building/buying an amplifier for my cb lol
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

When I was a kid Radio Shack use to sell a DIY Kit to make an Linear amplifier in their mail order catalog.
:-)
agavelouis
The Champ
Bronco Info: 1994 5.0 Bronco. Solo Motorsports all the way around

Post by agavelouis »

Seabass wrote:I believe pci and the solder joint are owned by the same family. Might be wrong...

PCI purchased the Solder Joint back in the mid-late 2000's. Solder Joint was shut down in 2010(ish)and the employees moved into the PCI building in Signal Hill.

Mark and Roland still work for PCI.