What mobile coms?

OIFVET
Bronco Info: 1984 Full Size Bronco

What mobile coms?

Post by OIFVET »

What mobile comms do you guys regularly use when going offroading and such? Most groups I have encountered use CB. Should I also install a VHF/UHF in my ride? And between VHF/UHF what is most common that of those who have them installed use?
Seabass
Bronco Info: 96 bronco

Re: What mobile coms?

Post by Seabass »

Really depends on what the person your trying to contact is using. Cbs are easier to set up and use but you can get a lot more out of a hamb radio. I've played with both and found the hamb radio does way more than I'll ever use. I'm happy with my purchase because I can use it on "race" frequencies witch is pretty much all I've needed it for.
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

You really can't beat HAM / "race" radios for what we do. If you can't swing the full mobile radio to start out, even a handheld with a roof-mounted antenna can work pretty darn well when just communicating with a close group.
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

Over the years things have changed. CB radios were popular then people started using the FRS Family Radio system, those semi cheap Cobra and other small handhelds, then more people started using modified ham radios despite it being illegal on business bands VHF 150-160mhz. If you go to off road races a true business band radio that is programmed by a computer like a kenwood, icom or vertex is the best way to go. If you can't afford a new real race radio, get a used or refurbished one. 50 watts will work in a non mission critical radio, then a 110watt is a must if you are doing racing, pits or chasing.

As for UHF, not used in off road desert type racing. It is for a small areas with a lot of radio traffic like NASCAR or dirt track racing.

I know people will differ on this but after many years of working on radio from CB's, 10 meter, 2 meter and race radio's, it is best to use a radio intended to be used on the frequencies you want to use. You will hear people recommending modified ham radios but I would recommend not doing. I know they work but they are not the same. I have had both and now only run a 110 watt Kenwood race radios designed for the band we use in Off Road racing.
SteveG
Admin
Bronco Info: Wilson: 96, Stretched 17.5", coil-overs / Bypasses, 4-link, a fridge and all the amenities :)

Post by SteveG »

Good advice. Thanks for posting it!
Seabass
Bronco Info: 96 bronco

Post by Seabass »

One of the downsides of a modified ham is when your tuning the antenna you lose performance somewhere. It can't be dialed in like a radio only designed to be used in a narrower frequency range.
Wrightracing.net
Bronco Info: 1972 Bronco with an 86 chassis, full cage and Long travel coil-over suspension.

Post by Wrightracing.net »

From my experience tuning the antenna to 152MHz is standard for most racers, even is they are even using the Icom V8000 so many people rave about as the best Ham to use on race freqs. The issue I saw in teasting one that the power output would drop down the higher in the frequency range away from 148MHz and even worse the SWR would sky rocket. If you run a high SWR to much, you will toast the Finals in the radio. It is just not worth it to go Ham. If your group you wheel with runs CB's then get a scanner to listen to race channels when out at the races. Some people don't roll in the race crowd, so they may not need a race radio. I just put a really good CB in a motorhome for a friend. Export CB radio's can get up to 100 watts but that band is a mess with jokers.
mesquito_creek
Bronco Info: No Bronco 92 F150 4x... Pretty close?

Post by mesquito_creek »

Or you and your buddies could just study for a week after work, pay 15 dollars and take the HAM test to get your call sign. That will allow you to:
1) talk on both the VHF and UHF Ham bands
2) Use the HAM repeaters that link up all the way from San Diego to Phoenix (and much more)
3) Legally monitor and listen to all the Race Radio traffic from your HAM radio, and lot more like Aircraft, weather stations etc..
4) Avoid all the people crammed onto 152 knocking each other around...

The only reason you would need to transmit on a race radio in the 152s is because you are on a race team during an event. Because you asked "What mobile comms do you guys regularly use when going offroading and such?" I personally find HAM to be the best for offroading and such...

Antenna height and tuning is key,... you can set up a 5 watt HT on a 30 foot mast that will probably outperform the 110 watt truck setup at 6-8 feet.

My favorite radio for prerunners is a Yaesu 2900 75 watt HAM with a 5/8th wave antenna tuned at 146
PaulW
Bronco Info: Modified and Linked 1972 Bronco

Post by PaulW »

OIFVET wrote:What mobile comms do you guys regularly use when going offroading and such? Most groups I have encountered use CB. Should I also install a VHF/UHF in my ride? And between VHF/UHF what is most common that of those who have them installed use?
==========
So now you have read all the replies.
But the bottom line is use the style of radio your buddies use. North of the border the CBs are still popular. At 5 watts do not expect much range and if you are near the highways, like Moab, you will get to listen to the truckers.
In the real boondocks like Baja you will need some range like a 50 watt or higher to reach to or listen in. And the band is the VHF band in the 150s range because that is where all the others hang out.
So my rigs that stay north of the border I have CBs and for Baja I have a race radio and a multi-band HAM radio. And I never have had a use for UHF band.

If you want to see what the latest race radios are popular go to pciraceradios.com and see what they sell.
PW